4.0 out of 5 stars Well look at that...
Ladies and Gentlemen... I give you Madden 06 for the XBox 360.

Madden 06? Well... yeah. This is the version that should have been for 06. 2007 at the least. But we won't harp on that - we'll just go off of this game and what we have here now. And what we have here now is a pretty good game, I must admit.

To start off, let's remember that Madden...
Published on August 15, 2007 by V

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a disappointment
Published on September 14, 2007 by J. Edinger

4.0 out of 5 stars Well look at that..., August 15, 2007
This review is from: Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Ladies and Gentlemen... I give you Madden 06 for the XBox 360.

To start off, let's remember that Madden 07 SUCKED. Plain and simple. If you thought otherwise, then... well, to quote the late Rick James: "Cocaine is a hell of a drug." I reviewed it harshly, but accurately. (It's the first one that displays) I said - nay - SWORE that I would not buy another EA football or basketball title until they showed us, as consumers, that they were interested in putting out a quality product and less interested in that '#1 Selling Franchise' logo on the box every year. I missed playing football games, as I usually do around this time of year, so I picked up NCAA 08. I enjoy the college versions usually, and that one was no different. Some of the upgrades on there had me a little curious about what they had in store for this year's Madden, so I kept my eyes open. But I swore to myself - RENT first.

So I did... played a few games, different modes, etc. Then a funny thing happened. I went right back out and bought it. Wow... didn't see that coming. And even more surprising than that, I guess, for some - the FAR BETTER version is on the 360 and NOT the PS3.

So let's see... where to start. I'll start with the cons, since there aren't many of them this year, surprisingly. But the ones that ARE there are biggies, and keep this game out of the 'Great' category and firmly in the 'Very Good' area. (still better than last year's 'Rancid Camel $&?!#' rating)

New England is rated at a 97. Okay, that's not really a 'con' but COME ON... a 97? Really?? Anyway...

Presentation - pitiful.

For a game that has exclusive rights to the ESPN brand, this is really horrible. Games past utilized FAR superior presentation styles - including those that were ESPN licensed. With all of the classic on-air/broadcast personalities over at ESPN, all they could come up with was Marshall Faulk doing a glazed-over pre/post game two-liner? All-Pro Football 2K8 was a half-hearted attempt by the 2K Crew, yet it is not UTTERLY behind Madden - why? Presentation. The audio commentary, the little subtleties in the gameplay: players actually talking to one another and the ref, players getting out of the way of oncoming traffic while standing on the sidelines, etc. Why does this seem to remain just out of EA's scope of imagination? Play-by-Play is still a joke this go-round. Madden was never on par with the classic 2K series, but this radio broadcast thing - doesn't work for me, and from what I'm hearing - doesn't work for most others. I actually miss Madden's painfully OBVIOUS-isms. ("What you wanna do is... you wanna score more points than the other team, because THAT will put you in a better position to win the game." Thanks for that pearl of wisdom there, JM) Also gone is the ability to truly customize your menu playlists. I hate that. I want my own music. Period.

I don't play online as much as in the past, but one rather large omission I noticed was the lack of Online Leagues. Hmmmm... that seems like it would add MILES of replayability, yet again, it's nowhere to be found. Disappointing, moreso for some I'm sure.

And of course there are a few gameplay issues, but that's to be expected. AI has been drastically improved, but there are still moments when your DB's and LB's will prove to be mildly retarded.
You fumble FAR too often on this game - the ball is too easily jarred loose, thanks in large part to the Hit Stick controls, but after awhile you kinda get used to it a bit. (annoying in itself)

EA 4th Quarters are still in effect: No matter how badly you've been destroying a team for 3 quarters, they will manage to drive down and score on you in the 4th. Bumping the difficulty up a notch or two helps somewhat this year - I keep it on All-Madden. Speaking of AI - how about a little AI upgrade for the crowd, coach and sideline players? The fans are still there, cheering like psychos, even though their team is down by 48 in the closing seconds of the game. Not likely... The sideline players are still over there in their overly-generic animations, all moving in sync with each other - looks like an old Michael Jackson video. And my coach, even in the snow, is over there getting his Kanye West on with a short-sleeved polo shirt and a headset. 36 degrees out, Coach...

There's still no way to save mid-game, though they did incorporate the SuperSim feature from NCAA 08. You can (pre-game or pre-play selection) choose to simulate the entire game, quarter, half, possession or play.

The other biggie (besides the presentation) is the Special Teams play. It effectively serves no purpose on this game. The kicking game is still overly simplistic, every kicker has the ability to kick the ball out of the stadium, there are no useful adjustments for kickoff/punt formations (wedge, etc.) Also, if the other team DOES manage to score, expect an onside kick. 50-point deficit in the 4th still? Onside kick... Why? WHY??? Football is, when you get down to it, made up of 3 elements: Offense, Defense and Special Teams. That's 1/3 of the game. 1/3 that they failed to represent. Can't have a 'Great' game with those percentages.

Thankfully, the rest of the game is rather outstanding.

Graphically, the game is so far ahead of last year's it's not even funny. Gone are the kickers with the 27-inch pythons. You can tell Peyton Manning apart from Brian Urlacher. Players are far more realistically portrayed in this installment. Slow down a HB in the open field just long enough for 2 of your DB's and a safety to swarm in and gang tackle him into the turf. (FINALLY!!!!!) The new animations (literally hundreds) make for a much smoother and free-flowing gaming experience, and the intuitive button configuration (fully customizable, of course) helps in just jumping straight into a game.

The stadiums are very nicely done, and the field looks phenomenal - PARTICULARLY during bad weather. You see the destruction of the field in the heavy traffic areas, and it progresses throughout the game. Even the rain itself tapers on and off throughout. One suggestion: how about some splashing, and more evidence of the messy weather on the uniforms/helmets. The lack of water splashing kind of takes away from the beauty of the huge pools of water that you are being forced to hike the ball from.

Aside from the radio broadcaster, the sound is brilliant. On-field trash talking, stadium announcer - everything is there. The tackling sounds will actually have you cringe occasionally... especially if it's one of YOUR players that just got their head knocked off.

I mentioned the AI - leaps and bounds over 07. Minus a few lapses here and there, you really have to use some THOUGHT when playing. I actually enjoy PUNTING now!! Throw to a receiver near the sidelines, and watch him (gasp) actually make an attempt to stay inbounds while catching the ball. Loose ball? Be amazed at how a mad dash will instantly ensue. Gone are the days when a goalline stand was a mere formality. 1st and Goal on the one? Don't be surpised if you end up with 3 points...

All of the other gameplay features appear to be back, more or less. Instead of a dedicated 'Owner Mode' you can check in the Front Office menu and observe how your Franchise is running. Check prices (can't adjust them though), revenue, expenses... even RELOCATE your team somewhere more profitable if your market is slow with the money. Drafts, stats, roster management - pretty much the norm. And all of the other little stuff, like the Rings, Trophies, yadda yadda - not that much into that crap, but they're there if you want them. Connect to XBox Live and the ESPN Ticker will keep you updated with current stats and news in real time. (I got several Michael Vick updates yesterday... nice)

Madden annually introduces some new gimmick to the franchise in an attempt to make it 'fresh' - this year brings us the Weapons System. While it can use some tweaking for sure, this is - to me - the single best addition to this franchise since the ability to change your pass coverage came along. Along with the traditional ratings system, you now have a Weapons system, labeling players by their strenghts and tendencies. No longer are two 99-rated WR's mirror images of one another. Steve Smith and T.O. are both great receivers for different reasons. L.T. and L.J. are definitely different types of backs, but you'd never know it on previous Maddens. Power backs play differently that elusive backs; Speed receivers go differently than possession receivers. For every Weapon, there is a counter Weapon. Hard Hitters can counter a Power HB by taking their legs out from under them consistently, but would have a harder time taking out an elusive back - while THEY would have more trouble with a Brick-Wall defender or LockDown defender. See? And it's up to you to set mismatches and play to your strengths and your opponent's weaknesses. Smart players - there's nothing you can really do to counter them outside of choosing a vast variety of plays - don't become predictable. Once your Smart Player's icon illuminates fully, they are able to see the play art of the opponent. QB's will see the defense's plan - LB's will see the offensive play between the hash marks. This all adds up to provide a football experience than Madden lovers haven't had, arguably, ever.

So how does it rate? A solid 4 out of 5 for me. The presentation and gameplay issues I mentioned earlier keep it from the 4.5-5 realm, but the KEY is that they are progressing. The REAL TEST will be when 09 comes out - what will that be like? Hopefully it's a step forward and not backwards, which has been EA's pattern over the past few years.

Is it the best football game ever? No.
Is it better than 2K5? Not hardly.
Is it the best football game for 08? I'd have to say yes... slight nod over NCAA 08 (though the collegiate 'little brother' does more on the presentation end)
Is it better than Madden 07? Ridiculously so, but again - that's not saying much. So how about this:
Is it the best Madden ever? Hmmm... that's tough. It's at least where 05 was, which was arguably the best Madden. I've had more fun with this year's Madden than I have in a LONG time. So for me, I'd have to say... yes.

Much improved - very good effort from EA. It's about time. This game is a few gameplay tweaks, a massive presentation overhaul, and some miscellaneous additions (tats, unique animations, custom soundtracks, etc.) from being something TRULY special. But thanks for finally giving me something to look forward to again each August.

(**Why is this game not offered in the 1080p format?? Rather disappointing for 1080p television and XBox 360 Elite owners, especially since NCAA 08 was...**)

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a disappointment, September 14, 2007
This review is from: Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
First let me start by saying I've been playing Madden for years now, since '92 in fact, so I do know a thing or two about my beloved football series. One particular thing I've always loved about Madden was its accessibility, its customization. Pretty much anything I wanted to do with it, I could. It was 'My Madden' in the truest sense. If I wanted to edit every team, every player in the league, I could. I could look at my roster breakdown as I searched the free agent list for replacments. Its the little things that made Madden great. They, like many things of past Maddens, are now gone. But, I'm rambling. Those things don't mean anything, absolutely nothing, if the game doesn't play right. Has it ever played right? I'm tired of year after year tweaking and tinkering with the A.I. settings. Why aren't these set correctly when the game is shipped? Maybe I would forgive this if not for the huge oversight of this year's Madden, its fumbling. Even with A.I. motification this cannot be completely fixed. I've heard some reviewers say that its not a big deal, others fail to mention it at all. Well it is a problem. Turnovers in general get outta hand too often. This upsets me most of all because as a gamer and a Madden lover, I could tell EA exactly whats wrong with this game. So why don't they know? Bottom line: The fumbling in Madden '08 wrecks the gameplay. And I promise you this: EA will admit it, not now, but right before Madden '09 shipps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Potential, But Frustrating, September 4, 2007
This review is from: Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This game had a lot of potential. Improvements include new animations for things like spins, deeper franchise mode, and a better superstar mode (mostly because the camera is pulled back more). So, basically, EA tried to add some content to a bare bones 07 game.

Unfortunately, I found the game to be basically unplayable in franchise mode--or at least hard to enjoy. I'm a casual madden player, but I'm usually half decent. However, even at All-Pro the game starts breaking down for me. If you have a merely good running back, even with great speed (like Willie Parker), it's hard to go anywhere without a good line. And if you don't have a running back with good carrying, you'll fumble a lot. You also need a good line to protect your Quarterback, or you'll get sacked repeatedly. You also need a great Quarterback, since a middle of the road one (with, say, accuracy in the high 80's or low 90's) will cause a ton of interceptions. Then on defense you obviously need great players at the key positions. Now, this isn't anything new, and you can never have great players at all the positions (you just can't afford it). However, in past games, your great players could cover for the average players; but that's not the case in this game.

Another problem is that the game just gives too much skill to the CPU. I had Devin Hester as my 3rd string WR, this guy has a 99 speed rating. And DB's STILL not only kept up with him, but would often be able to cut in front of him and make interceptions. Not just leap and knock the ball away or make a pick, but actually run faster than Hester and catch the ball. There is also the lack of times that you can succesfully make deep throws. There was only one time in the game where a guy going deep was wide open. Much more common is double or triple coverage--and with the DB's almost always in perfect position to make a pick or knock the ball away. Well, there are other problems (like 95% of my kickoffs were so deep in the endzone that there was no return, which is obviously unrealistic), but they are minor gripes compared to the above. If you're a hard core Madden player, you might be able to get past the difficulties I had; however, if you're just a casual player like me, you'd be better off going with the PS2 version from 07 or one of the past old gen versions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Steps backward counter the meager improvements, October 20, 2007
This review is from: Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'm a pretty dedicated franchise mode player, so I'll just list what's changed in 08 for better and for worse for somebody like me.

Improvements:
1. Gameplay - Tackling, running, and receiving are improved. Playcalling has changed, allowing for play selection by formation, by type of play, by recently called, or by asking Madden. This throws you off at first, but you grow to accept it.

2. Style - The menus and backgrounds are sleeker, but definitely not easier to use.

3. Features - Weapons system differentiates great players by individual strengths, even allowing some defenders to read plays. More skill ratings this year are nice (all the old ones plus, for example, elusiveness, catch-in-traffic, stiff arm, route running, pursuit, etc.)

Steps backward:
1. Menus - I liked the old menu options and features. One small annoyance you find in the 2k series that has made its way into Madden this year is that when trying to make trades, once you select the players, if the trade doesn't work out and you back out to try to set up a trade with the next team, the menu defaults back to the Bears (1st alphabetical team). This is a small thing, but really obnoxious when you have to try to remember who the last team you tried was, then scroll all the way up to the next one. Also, the in-game audio and visual options are gone, so no turning on the blue line of scrimmage (you miss it more than you'd think), and no camera options. Normally the default cam is fine, but in 08 I can never see my wide receivers (even with my widescreen TV), so it would have been nice to be able to move the camera back to a wider view. AI sliders aren't available from your franchise mode menu, but I finally found them buried in the main menu, and, strangely, in the in-game pause menu.

2. Gameplay - Too many fumbles and interceptions, as everyone is saying. Now that I found the AI sliders, I turned down INTs and CPU defensive awareness (no fumbling/ball carrying slider), but I still have, in week 15, 27 INTs versus 23 TDs. Next most INTs in the league: Chris Simms with 13. Passing is a joke, for several resons. First, speed ratings seem to have almost no effect, at least for receivers, because I can't get mine to outrun ANYBODY on deep routes. I mean, they're practically JOGGING the routes. Second, as in previous Maddens, it's hard to put any touch on the ball when passing, especially short and medium passes; it's either a bullet or a rainbow. This makes it hard, for example, to get the ball to a tight end about 15 yards downfield over the heads of the linebackers, who can pick it off in mid-flight even if they're nowhere near as deep as the TE. Third, defenders still fight a lot harder to get to passes than your receivers do, since they seem to be the only ones actually paying attention to the pass. Fourth, it's hard to get the QB to do route-based passing. He throws based on what the receiver is doing at the moment instead of based on what the route dictates. Even with "precision passing" (haha), you can rarely get the QB to get the ball out in front of the receivers so they can catch in stride. Especially on long passes, the ball is often thrown at the receiver's hip. It's too easy for defenders who are behind your guys to knock down or pick off passes that should have been out of reach. In-game offensive line play sucks. In 07, linemen with decent strength would end up with like 13 pancakes a game, but now I'm lucky if more than one of my O-linemen get any pancakes. My best lineman has 4 pancakes on the season; most of the rest of the league's starters have between 40 and 80. Remember, this is week 15.

3. Experience - The retarded newspaper and email updates from 07 should have been vastly improved, not abandoned. It would have been satisfying to read about your overachieving franchise in the papers, or to get realistic emails from the coach and players reacting to last week's game. Same goes for the scouting report on the next opponent -- should have been improved instead of cut out. Michaels and Madden no longer announce the game, just a boring radio play-by-play guy. No color commentary = less immersive feel. Player ratings no longer improve during the season and only change very little in the off-season, and there's no more training camp to do it manually. So how do your young players get better? I haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

I'm mostly disappointed (I want to change my star rating to 2 and the fun rating to 1). If EA could have kept some of the features of previous versions with this one's improvements, and fixed the passing, 08 might have been great. Instead, EA continues to show an uncanny ability to tweak their game toward merely different instead of tweaking it closer to perfection.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gamers Irate Over NFL Madden 2008 Glitches, October 9, 2007
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Gamers Irate Over NFL Madden 2008 Glitches
Bugs make nation's most popular video game "unplayable," fans complain

By Joseph S. Enoch
ConsumerAffairs.Com

September 19, 2007

NFL Madden 2008, the nation's most popular video game, has so many glitches that consumers are saying the Electronic Arts game is "unplayable."

"After purchasing a video game produced by EA Sports titled Madden NFL 2008, and playing the game, I came across many problems in the programming which resulted in the inability to continue gameplay," wrote Paul of Wildomar, Calif.

The game, which is available for almost every game console, freezes, miscalculates statistics and suffers enormous amounts of lag during online play, consumers say. For the Nintendo Wii version of the game, consumers on EA's forums page have listed over 50 glitches.

Although every system including Sony's PSP and PlayStation 2, Microsoft's Xbox, PC and Nintendo's DS appear to have glitches, it is the Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 ports of the game that have engendered the most angst.

The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions, which cost $60, were created by the same studio, said EA spokesman Tyrone Miller. So many of the problems with those versions, are found in both systems.

The major complaint from Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consumers is that in Franchise mode, when a team drops a player for whatever reason, he does not reenter the game through free agency, but rather, disappears. Over the period of two or three seasons, which amounts to playing about 40 games, the player pool becomes so slim that the mode can no longer continue.

In an e-mail yesterday afternoon, Miller wrote that EA was aware of the problem and that a patch would be available for the PlayStation 3 this morning to fix it. On EA's forums, consumers said that their systems did download the new patch, which in turn, completely froze their consoles.

By 1:20 p.m. all the complaints on EA's forum in regard to the patch's error, were removed.

EA has issued a release warning consumers not to go online with the game and to delete the patch if it has already been downloaded.

Miller said it is OK to get back online now, but that there will be no "fixed" patch available until "maybe another week."

Xbox 360 consumers can expect a patch later today, he said.

On the Wii, consumers say that in SuperStar mode, kickers only make about a third of their kicks, including extra points, while the computer they play against makes nearly all of them, like in real life. Because of this glitch, consumers say it is almost impossible to win a game.

Wii consumers also say the system frequently freezes and that the game often confuses the system's unique motion controls.

Chris Faylor, a reporter for Shacknews.com, an online gaming publication, said he's not surprised the game has so many errors.

"Word of glitches and problems in the game does not surprise me at all, as its development is constrained by the yearly release schedule and will be pushed out the door when that time comes, regardless of its state," Faylor said.

He said that while later prints of the game can be fixed, many consumers who own the game now may be stuck with a broken product.

"It's not that uncommon for games to be fixed in later pressings and shipments after their initial release," Faylor said. "Most companies do this silently -- a minor bug is discovered and resolved before the next batch of manufacturing."

Sending out downloadable patches is the easiest way for EA to fix the game, but that may not fix everything and will probably only work for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 users, Faylor said.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have hard drives that can load some of the data and initiate a patch. But because most of the data is still loaded directly from a DVD, it's difficult to patch everything, Faylor said. For the other systems, which do not have hard drives, it is nearly impossible to offer patches. Miller said it's impossible to patch the Wii version.

The other problem is that in order to fix the game through a patch, a user's console must have a broadband Internet connection. Miller said about 80 percent of Xbox 360 owners have a broadband connection.

The only option for consumers, whose systems cannot be patched and for those without broadband Internet, would be if EA would offer consumers an exchange for a later, "fixed" print of the game's DVD.

"A disc exchange is definitely possible," Faylor said. "It's been done before, but it's costly and time-consuming."

Electronic Arts offered a disc exchange last year for its NCAA Football game for the PSP and for the 2006 version of Madden, again on the PSP. Miller said the game would spot the ball at wrong points on the field.

"That made the game unplayable," Miller said.

"What it comes down to, as always, is the relationship between how much of this will actually affect their sales and reputation," Faylor said.

While consumers have filed complaints with ConsumerAffairs.Com and on message boards, the Better Business Bureau in California's Bay Area, where EA is headquartered, has received 443 complaints in the last 36 months regarding EA, and the company has an "unsatisfactory" rating.

Here's a list of a few of the problems consumers say they've encountered on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 ports:

* Players disappearing from free agent pool in franchise mode
* Connection problems during online play
* Substantial lag during online play
* System freezes
* Changing a player's uniform number changes his age
* Yearly player statistics are greatly inflated, sometimes giving a quarterback 50 or more touchdowns in a year

For the Wii:

* Kickers missing many of their field goal attempts in SuperStar mode
* Regular system freezes
* Connection problems during online play
* Substantial lag during online play
* Offensive players, including quarterbacks, being placed on special teams plays
* Quarterbacks often don't hand off the ball as they are supposed to during running plays
* 'No huddles' occur at random
* "No huddles' result in offsides penalties
* Quarterbacks automatically throwing the ball as soon as it is hiked

Many disgruntled consumers have posted videos of the above glitches, and others, on YouTube. One video shows the ball soaring through the air and then making a 90 degree turn, midair, into the stands.

Miller said consumers should expect some glitches.

"The nature of games is there are always bugs," he said. "We try to minimize them and make sure they don't interfere with gameplay."

For those consumers who cannot receive patches, their only defense is to complain, Faylor said.

"Make a big fuss about it," Faylor advised. "Complain on their forums. E-mail them. Call their customer service department. Companies, especially those as big as EA, have people reading forums and e-mails all over the internet. They are definitely aware of the issue."

Many consumers say they wish EA would have shipped a working game, even at the expense of extending the deadline.

"I am positive that EA is aware of the issues with their products," Jonathon of Independence, Mo. wrote to ConsumerAffairs.Com. "But a combination of greed, laziness, and poor product testing results in continually releasing sub-par and beta-like games,"

Link:

[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars With Alex Smith playing like Tom Brady and Niners playing like the Patriots, something is wrong with the A.I. of this game, October 13, 2007
vespafive (South San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I've played this game for 2 weeks now and it's fun when you play online or against another human being. It's the same 'ol Madden formula that you're used to seeing in previous installments with a tad more detail and a few neat features but it's the same stuff. Playing against the computer however is a DIFFERENT story. Playing under ROOKIE difficulty makes the game just that, but ridiculously easy. When you set the game to PRO which is a step above ROOKIE, the A.I. is ridiculously too good! You can tinker with the A.I. settings so that the computer plays terribly, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I was using the Patriots and played against the CPU 49ers. Now, Alex Smith isn't exactly the best quarterback in the world, but with all the A.I. set to bare minimum, Smith consistently passed for 400 yards regardless of how well I played defense! Also, the 49ers were unstoppable and made my Patriots look like an NCAA team! I thought it was a glitch and just the 49ers in this game, so I picked Detroit. Same thing, Jon Kitna was passing on my Baltimore Ravens defense for almost 300+ yards and were unstoppable at PRO level. Of all the Madden games I've played, the A.I. is incredibly inaccurate and makes any team you pick for the CPU become very invincible. It's what made me sell my copy back to an outside vendor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why the hype? This is Madden 07.1, August 17, 2007
This review is from: Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Off the top, yes, I am a huge fan of the 2K series of football. That said, I still own Madden 07 for the XBOX 360. I am new to the 360 and bought it mainly because 2K football was coming back with All Pro Football. While initially disappointed with the graphics in All Pro 2K8, its game play is simply awesome. I then found a good price on Madden 07 and it was better than expected and it gives me my NFL fix.

So, I decided to buy into the hype and try Madden 08. The result? I have already sold my copy. It is NOT worth the upgrade...it plays mainly like it could be Madden 07.1...the graphics actually look worse to me. This is Next Gen? I admit 2K8 isn't up to next gen standards either but this doesn't really look good. The players almost move too fast and not very smoothly...Madden 07 looks much better than this. Watch the D-Line go into their stance. They walk up and simply go down so fast that it doesn't look natural. And don't get me started on the fumbles. I've even encountered Brett Farve tiptoeing back and back and back and back for a 30 yard loss and it was counted as a no gain.

I am not a Madden hater...I want it to be great...but until they adopt the presentation and tightness of play as 2K can do, it will always be sub-par football.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating yet WHAT OTHER CHOICE IS THERE???, August 18, 2007
This review is from: Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
To start, I have been playing Madden since the series started and have been pleased with its progress. That is until it came out on the next-gen systems! Now it seems EA is more concerned with looks and graphics then gameplay. Example - Madden 07 for regular Xbox was GREAT, I still play it. Madden 07 for 360 was a lot more confusing and had a lot more problems.

Now, Madden 08... been waiting months and was hoping not to be dissappointed. Well... EA Sports did it again. They failed on the little things and made BIG changes where tweaks were necessary. The defenses in this game are a little too overwhelming if you ask me! I did a fantasy draft and had a hard time passing the ball from Peyton Manning to Andre Johnson! Something wrong there! These are players with 94+ ratings. I barely got the ball to the receiver!!!

Other big problems:
*FUMBLES FUMBLES AND MORE FUMBLES... have not played one game yet without 3 or 4 fumbles and this is on ALL-PRO!
*Injuries - I like to try a bunch of stuff when I first get the game and was sad to have my star HB hurt in each of the seasons I started in the very first game!! Way too many injuries.
*Where is the accelerated clock?! I don't like to wait 30 seconds after I choose a play to hike the damn ball! But if I don't my players will get tired too fast!!!
*Offensive Line Shifts- the best thing in Madden 07 and its gone!! Can't pick up d-line changes. FANTASTIC! You need Vick to get around the defensive packages thrown at you.
*Superstar Mode- why can I not start Superstar mode in anything but ROOKIE difficulty???? I don't want my Superstar to be a SUPERSTAR that fast!!! He needs to work for it just like in real life!!!
* The "RING" thing takes too much time and just gets annoying watching that screen come up every game! Show it once, that's it!

The only good thing about this game as every year is the graphics are outstanding!!! But I guess that's where EA puts all its money seeing as how they don't have to worry bout any competition out there!

ALL PRO FOOTBALL 2k8 was a joke and its concept pretty much sucked! But besides that there is nothing!!! Hopefully EA doesn't screw up it NFL Street Series as well. It's not realistic but its not supposed to be and you have to admit its fun to play with a bunch of people!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars too many glitches, October 19, 2007
This review is from: Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I bought game a couple of days ago and was impressed with the gameplay and the grafics in exhibition mode but once i began franchise mode it all went down hill. along with managing rosters there were minor freezes where i played around with the button and reconnected the controller and some how got it to work but by the time i made it to year 2 the game froze in before i could get the opening kickoff. Extremly upset did research online to find out about tons of glitches and complaints and ea removing such complaints from thier forums. the only good news is the are releasing patches the bad is that the patches have bugs as well meaning i wasted 60 buck don't buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally starting to look and feel like next gen, August 13, 2007
This review is from: Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
See...all it took for Madden to be decent this year was a little competition. This is what we SHOULD have gotten 2 years ago...

I played one game and wanted to weigh my 2 cents in before all the fanboys went nuts.

For one.... 1up.com gave this game a 9....please....that's being too generous....the presentation alone showing signs of age killed that score.

First impressions are pretty good with this version.

I mean it's Madden

- Graphics are vastly improved for the players but they still need to work on the crowd....ok so it's a small thing...but that is a small thing that 2K always seem to get right. Tackles are more realistic and the players move and react a little more without having to push too many buttons. Players tend to react and give you cues on when to push the buttons.

- Weapons. wow....will take some getting used to but it's nice to se that read and react finally working...

- Animation does look a lot better but.....I will come back to that in a min.

- A 1/2 time show!!!! While not as robust as 2K's it's still nice to be able to see some highlights from the first 1/2.

- Franchise mode is finally HERE!!!!! I didn't try the Superstar mode because if I did...I wouldn't be writing this as of now...hehe

Things that could be improved upon....

- GET RID OF THE FRIKKIN ESPN RADIO!! Come on...if I am playing this game in HD on TV...then what would it kill them to get a 2 man crew...and SINCE they have the ESPN Licence...just rip the page out of 2K5 and hook it up? What would it kill you to at least let me feel like I am playing an MNF game?? 2K5 did it...yeah I said it!!

Presentation still sucks BUT...I do like the tickers that you can use all game....also...there are downloadable blurbs that can be streamed to you r360...like while setting up I was able to hear how Vick may get suspended and the Yankees beat the Orioles....nice step in the right direction...now if you can stream the NFL Network and ESPN to my.....hmmmmmm an idea....

- Fumble-itis it seems a little too easy to get a nice hit and cough it up using the Hit Stick....on the other hand fights for loose balls are a little more realistic, I saw one being bobbled around between 3 players before someone recovered it.

- While the new and increased animations are nice...for some reason the game moves.......fast.....thank you for the 60FPS but it looks kinda arcade-ish

- Stil some stutter between frames....not too distracting but ok....

- No online leagues.....hmmmmmmm

On the whole with a quick playthru, it's easy to see where EA has made improvements and what they still need to work on...but all in all Madden is cool....I have no probs having two football games in the home.... it just makes too mych sense if one company would simply combine with the other to put out the ultimate football game......sigh...one can only dream

This means if 2K puts out another game next year...Madden will have to try hard to be better...is that all it takes?

Gee...I wonder what happens if EA loses the NFL licence...

Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360
Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
$29.99 $9.99