4.0 out of 5 stars It's the wii, but it's still fun
Published 23 months ago by Michael M. Grummert

1.0 out of 5 stars Madden 13 for Wii will make you mad
Madden 12 is king on the Wii, at least until the Wii U console comes out. Madden 13 goes backward and leaves out features from previous versions. Also possible graphics quirks.

The good, bad and ugly:

Good:
Wifi Updated Rosters-- (that is why the case is marked "Wifi") you can get updated rosters over the internet.
That's it! nothing else...
Published 22 months ago by B. Cassell

1.0 out of 5 stars Madden 13 for Wii will make you mad, September 1, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars

The good, bad and ugly:

Good:
That's it! nothing else new and noteworthy.

Bad:
No online gameplay. Better hope they continue to support, and stick with version 12...
Game has no new "wow" features. Plays just like version 12, but with new rosters. Essentially, all you are paying for is new rosters. If that's all you want (and you don't want to play online), you might be happy...
Announcers only make "generic" statements about "he" and "they." No names of players mentioned as in previous versions. Gets repetitive much faster than usual...

Ugly:
I noticed a graphics quirk not present in 12-- where the whole screen will shake like there's an earthquake. Hmm.

Overall... not worth the money. Wait for the Wii U version.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's the wii, but it's still fun, August 29, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Other reviews here are just flat out misinformed about the Wii version of Madden. There is Franchise Mode, Fantasy Draft and roster updates are available through wi-fi. There is no point going on and on about how the graphics are no good. It's the mechanics and gameplay that should concern you. It's a football game, and as such it delivers. This may well be the last Madden put out for the wii, and imho it is the best one put out so far. You have multiple control options (classic controller, wiimote and nunchuk, or wiimote sideways), multiple gameplay options (including practice, Franchise, 5 on 5, and Fantasy Draft). I can't say if it's a major improvement over last year's offering, but it is better than Madden 10 and the several that I have owned before that. If you don't own a ps3 or 360, and enjoy football,this is a good wii game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but not much more than a stop-gap solution, October 23, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Bottom line, this is a fun game, but it's far from perfect. If you don't read too far between the lines and appreciate it for a solid football offering, then you'll enjoy the game. It's not the Gamecube titles that I'd spend hundreds of hours on, but it's the best we've had in a long time without moving over to a high-def console. That said, I'll break it down by each aspect.

Gameplay:

I've tried the Conventional (Wiimote + Nunchuck) and Classic (Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro) styles, and I have to say I give the Classic mode the nod here. I was a little annoyed that Gamecube controllers aren't supported. The Conventional style probably will suit those who have put time in with previous Wii versions, but I'm experiencing more natural controls and far fewer missed button-presses by using a Classic controller here. Even so, the in-play controls are smooth and responsive; the only complaint I would have is that you don't have nearly as many half-throws and dirtballs as I remember seeing in previous versions (i.e., you either throw the ball or you're sacked. Not much in between).

As far as features are concerned, I'm a little disappointed by the lack of pre-snap functionality. Calling LB/DL/DB audibles are challenging because they require so many button presses to get anything done, and you essentially have to memorize the combinations if you want to accomplish what you want to see done. On offense, the Call Your Shots function is probably the best option you have on a pass play, unless you want your man to block. You can't flip the direction of a run play without flipping the play, which is aggravating (especially because, when using the Classic Controller, flicking the right stick causes the QB to call out an audible -- but NOTHING HAPPENS).

The 5-on-5 mode is still my favorite mode to play, and you really should only play this if you're looking for local multiplayer. The added Powerups give it life, and add much more replayability to what would otherwise be a pretty flat mode.

Finally, the roster updates are quite weak. It wasn't until Week 5 or 6 that Alfred Morris was included on the Redskins, for example, and he came in at a paltry 74 overall despite being one of the most consistent fantasy RBs this season. Michael Vick, despite turning the ball over 13 times in 6 games, only saw his rating drop from 89 to 88. This is obviously an afterthought and shouldn't be why you buy the game.

Graphics:

Let me preface this by saying you're probably not expecting an eye-popper here, especially since you're running this game on a souped-up Gamecube and nothing less. Even so, I would say this is one of the weaker aspects of the game. The stadiums are beautifully rendered and the menus look great. And that's about it. The players all carry generic, lifeless faces, and the referees look like they belong on an N64. What bothers me the most, though, is that there are FPS hits in the 11-on-11 (traditional) mode -- particularly on kickoffs and pileups on short runs -- which drives me INSANE on a console, even one as graphically-inept as the Wii. It's almost this reason alone that I tend to gravitate more towards the 5-on-5 mode, as the video is at least smooth enough to forget about.

Audio:

They no longer play popular songs in the menus, which is suppose is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because there's no longer the occasional awful song you need to turn off in the jukebox, but a curse because the constant fanfare of the generic music included gets old after about three playthroughs.

The commentary is garbage; turn it off if you don't mind the silence. It's not even programmed properly; oftentimes Jim Nantz will comment on how the team "failed ANOTHER third down" on second down, following it up immediately thereafter with "The offense faces another important third-down conversion."

Kind of a neat feature here is the Wiimote audio. When you score a touchdown, the Wiimote will play the team's signature audio (e.g., the cannons for the Buccaneers, the horn for the Vikings, the dog sounds for the Browns, etc.). The Wiimote will also shout out a warning to "ditch the ball" or yell "incoming!" when a defender nears your quarterback on a pass play, which I don't mind -- although I can imagine that would drive others insane. It's a matter of personal taste.

Value:

This isn't a game I would pay $50 for (and didn't, thanks to eBay). Even so, it still satiates my appetite for a football game without requiring me to buy a 360/PS3. It's fun, isn't nearly as shallow as the Wii Madden games of the past few years, and still provides a solid multiplayer experience even with the absence of online matchmaking (and, come on, who really enjoyed playing all the 8-year-olds who spammed Hail Mary and Engage Eight plays anyway). If you buy the game, don't go into it expecting a Madden 2006-type sim. This is a beefed-up version of NFL Blitz from the N64 days, giving you the option to play a pseudo-realistic Franchise mode without losing the fun factor of the actual games. This might be one I'd recommend renting if you can, because there are going to be people that just can't look past the game's faults. But I can say I'm a seasoned Madden vet and I'm not totally disappointed. It's definitely worthy of a playthrough before you rush to any judgments.

3.0 out of 5 stars Madden 13 on the Wii platform, September 8, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Madden 13 on the wii is basically Madden 12 with updated rosters. As others have said you cannot play online on this wii platform as you could on Madden 12. Franchise & Fantasy draft is all there including being able to edit players & their jersey # which I like because I am OCD on what #'s my players wear. I do enjoy this game and like the updated rosters. I am a little disappointed as EA did not put in the effort they put into on the Xbox or PS3 platforms. I was really looking forward to the connected careers as playing as a player or a coach. Due to these issues that is why I gave it a 3 star rating. I know that a Wii U version will be coming out and maybe that will have the connected careers. However, I do not want to have to buy a whole new system just to be able to play with the connected careers. Not sure why they could not have put in some extra effort and at least plug in a basic connected careers in this game. I paid $49.06 on a game I basically already have with Madden 12.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Online Multiplayer Mode, September 1, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I understand if you're starting to phase out the Wii, but if you're going to remove online multiplayer mode -- one of the primary reasons many people are going to buy the game -- then you should clearly say so, since for numerous people, including me and my friends, that is the only reason we buy the game. Seriously, my brother dropped $150 to get me, himself and our best friend this game. We live in Boston, Denver and Virginia Beach, respectively. The whole point was to play online together. EA Sports blows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Madden ever!, September 13, 2013
JoeK "JoeK" (Browns Mills, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I have been playing Madden NFL over the years and this one is the BEST! I have the Wii version and I know graphics do not compare to other platforms, but this one really LOOKS and FEELS like a real game! Gameplay is easy for rookie and pro alike with ability to choose your own controller style based on level of expertise. Commentary is excellent!!!!!I am also a rabid EAGLES fan and really love when the crowd sings "Fly Eagles FLY" with each touchdown along with the fireworks! I really feel a part of the crowd! Buy this game for your child or for yourself. Guaranteed you will enjoy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you EA Sports, October 6, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I buy this for my husband every single year and this is the most disappointing version yet. NO online play, that's what this whole game is about.

Shame on you EA Sports for not displaying that on the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son LOVES the game!, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
What can I say? My 8 year old son loves it! The 6 year old is learning more and more every day how to play it better with no instruction so it's easy to learn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for quick games, November 22, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This game is much more fluid than the last one. I like the gameflow option so me and my friends can just play a quick game with whatever team and just have fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kid loves it, January 25, 2014
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
He plays this non stop...it is a shame they stopped making them for the ds. It is great for kids, older gamers buy a ps or xbox.

Madden NFL 13 - Nintendo Wii
Madden NFL 13 - Nintendo Wii by Electronic Arts (Nintendo Wii)
$81.99