4.0 out of 5 stars I like it EA sports! Good start.
<edited>

I was so stoked for this years madden to come out! I bought mine yesterday afternoon after work and the first thing I wanted to do is go straight into Franchise mode to only find myself scrolling through every option confused trying to find the one mode that made the game for me. I could not find it. But, I find a mode called "career mode"??? Where...
Published 19 months ago by Rob

1,270 of 1,379 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Innovation or Devolution? The Great Hype Machine Is Back...
Since Madden 13 is oh so very proud of their fictional Twitter feed I have decided to do my review as a fictional Twitter feed between EA and gamers:

EAsports: New Madden is out and it is the best thing in history! What do you think? #BetterTheDayYourChildWasBorn

AGamer: Hey I'm having trouble finding Franchise Mode. Where is it?

EASports:...
Published 19 months ago by Brandon May

1,270 of 1,379 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Innovation or Devolution? The Great Hype Machine Is Back..., September 4, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)

AGamer: Hey I'm having trouble finding Franchise Mode. Where is it?

EASports: Gone Bro!

AGamer: What do you mean gone? It was the only thing that didn't suck.

EASports: We have innovated and replaced it with Connected Careers! Like a boss! #ConnectedCareersBetterThanSex

AGamer: WTH is Connected Careers?

EASports: It is like Superstar and Franchise mode combined! Now you can be either player or a coach! Like a boss! #JesusWouldDoConnectedCareers

AGamer: Couldn't we always do that?

EASports: Yeah but not like on Connected Careers now you can go online and compete with friends! Like a boss! #INeedACigaretteAfterConnectedCareers

AGamer: You mean like the online play we've had the last 4 years? What evs I'll check it out.

AGamer: Dude, I'm doing the Coach in Connected Careers and can't change schemes or customize my playbook. What gives?

EASports: Did you see the fictional Twitter feed! Skip Bayless in the house!

AGamer: Yeah thats cool and all but we've been able to customize schemes and plays in Madden since the late 90s. WTH?

EASports: Check out the physics on the Infinity Engine. Gang tackles like a boss! #ILoveMaddenMoreThanMyFamily

AGamer: Infinity Engine? Is that why my players keep flying through the air like a grenade went off?

AGamer: And staggering around like their drunk and tripping over people?

AGamer: Dude, why does my running back keep running into the back of people and falling over? Did he just get off the Gravitron at a state fair?

EASports: Physics! Like a boss! #IWillStabYouForACopyOfMadden

AGamer: It isn't remotely realistic! People are tripping over each other after plays and flying all over the place like someone hit them with a car!

EASports: Feel the realism! #WhoNeedsFriendsWhenYouHaveMadden

AGamer: What is up with the announcing? Are they in the same game? I'm up 28 - 3 and every time I get a first down they say it is my first one of the game.

EASports: Phil Sims in the house!Like a boss!

AGamer: Why do you keep saying 'like a boss' #Toolbag

EASports: Cause I'm sooooo excited about all the innovation in Madden!!! #WeDeserveANobelPrize

AGamer: Excited about the innovation? You took away a lot of our control and customization in Franchise Mode and renamed it Connected Careers.

AGamer: You gave us a physics engine that makes the players flop around like Muppet's inside of a dryer.

AGamer: The announcing is no better than it was 8 years and a whole generation of systems ago.

AGamer: Superstar mode has also been replaced by Connected Careers and while the gameplay is solid there is nothing personal to connect you with your player.

AGamer: I want to see my player get interviewed and see him get accolades. I want to see him get endorsements.

AGamer: I want to see celebrations at his accomplishments like what you saw in the NBA 2k series.

AGamer: I get none of that in Madden 13. You have just given me a game with player lock and nothing else.

EASports: Did you see the Twitter feed? #SkipBaylessOwnsTwitter

AGamer: Yeah I saw the Twitter feed but nothing else.

AGamer: This is what you call innovation?

EASports: Like a boss!!

AGamer: Whatever EA. Whatever.

2KSports: Ashamed there is no competition out there isn't it.

NFL: @2KSports - Shhhhh. We're trying to count our money.

2.0 out of 5 stars 1 Step Forward, 2 Steps Back, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
As a longtime Madden player (have played/owned every iteration since 99), this year's version of Madden is perhaps the most over-hyped one since the move to the current gen of consoles. After years of gamers complaining about the lack of innovation between the yearly releases of Madden, EA finally took a swing at things for the better. Unfortunately, even with the new Infinity Engine and Connected Careers Mode the exclusion of a full fledged Franchise Mode from years past is sadly game breaking for this gamer.

Pros:
1. The Infinity Engine is a solid step forward for the franchise, and should only get better as the series evolves in this direction. This is the best part of Madden 13, and can only be truly appreciated once you play it. Comparing the gameplay engines from Madden 12 or even NCAA 13 is almost a night and day difference.
2. The gameplay itself is probably the best its been since Madden's been on the current consoles. Multi-player matches (co-op and online) in particular should be the best its been in this generation. Past annoyances like Psychic DBs, eternal pockets for QBs, or impossible across the body off balance throws are out or at least toned down.
3. For as much as I dislike it, Combined Careers did well in including the different ratings for players depending on scheme. The Twitter/Social dashboard is at least interesting, if a bit clunky.
4. Trade logic within CCM seems to be harder, a positive in my book since it takes out trading a FA you just signed for a first round pick.

Cons:
1. Well, as the rest of my Amazon reviewers have noted Franchise mode as we have come to know and love got the boot. The new mode, Combined Careers, is a combination of past year's Superstar and Franchise modes. Unfortunately, Coach mode (which is supposed to be the evolved Franchise mode) is sadly lacking.
2. Lack of editing players/rosters: no longer can you edit player numbers, ratings, or really even have that much control of your roster. For example, in my current CCM I have 3 players with the number 82 in the wide receiver position, a minor annoyance that the user cannot address since editing is completely gone. The inability to change ratings makes a bit of sense(so no one can just turn anyone into a 99 overall rating) if Progression actually worked. Unfortunately, I had a rookie LB win both Rookie of the Year and Defensive MVP...and lost rating (78 to 77). Finally, you no longer edit player positions and thus are stuck with whatever EA classifies the player as. Want to turn Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis back to DE's for the return of your new 4-3 Colts defense (in 13 they are 3-4 mirroring the real life switch)? Good luck, you can't.
3. Lack of a Fantasy draft - not a big one for me, but I know at least two of my friends refuse to buy this simply because of this being left out of 13.
4. Lack of a co-op Franchise - unless you and your friends are willing to shell out $60 per person (plus XBOXs/Live subscriptions) you can no longer have your friend play within your franchise. As it is, I can play/compete with my friends/roommates on one console in Madden 12 or NCAA 13 but not in Madden 13.
5. Inability to import NCAA13 draft classes - not a surprise to anyone following the Madden hype train, but disappointing none the less.
6. Being forced to go online -at the moment of writing this review all the benefits of the CCM are found by choosing the online (always connected to EA servers) option. Online gamers will get tuning updates days to even weeks before offline gamers. Perhaps the biggest hindrance to this would be anyone who has actually had to connect to EA's servers before, they are notoriously buggy and finicky. In my NCAA 13 dynasty I constantly lose connection to the EA servers, a minor annoyance in that game, a game breaking feature in this one. Because of the way online CCM is set up, any time you lose connection to the EA server you lose all progress in whatever you were doing...4th quarter up by 3 as the underdog in the Super Bowl? Tough luck, you are going to have to play that entire game over again.

Conclusion: While the loss of Franchise Mode (and the inability of Coach mode in CCM to replace it) is a serious one in my book, there is some appeal in this game. As it is, people who play Madden for the multiplayer quick games will enjoy this game. People who get Madden for the Franchise play will find it sorely lacking until/if they ever patch it.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Franchise or Fantasy Draft options but GREAT Coaster for NFL parties., August 30, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
With no franchise or fantasy draft options in either online or offline mode this 59.99 game becomes worthless. Sadly I did not check reviews before buying this. I just trusted that the one feature I have used on every version of madden I have purchased over the years would still be there. It is not. I would return it but I sadly opened the game to play it. So now I have a nice 59.99 coaster. It will be used as such. In that regard the Madden 13 coaster is easily a 3 star rated item due to the hole in the middle and no anti-slip coating.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Bueno, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
After reading the negative reviews, I thought I could still get past it all and enjoy the game. Wrong. I do love fantasy draft and editing rosters, not to give 99 ratings but to make some players more realistic. I thought that improved gameplay and more realism would trump the details that are missing this year. The attributes that you can improve are weak, barely make a difference and wasteful too. It just isn't a fun game anymore, and like all football and madden fans, it just makes me sad.

The 2k sports games are all so much better than the new Madden. Of course Franchise mode is still there, it only takes 30 seconds and half a brain to figure that out. But, it's just not as fun as previous years, the gameplay itself doesn't feel much better. I tried but just couldn't stick with it. Don't waste your money. Go with Fifa or any 2k sports game, even the Top Spin game is better than this.

STAY AWAY

1.0 out of 5 stars EA Apparently Forgot Why A Chunk of Their Fans Play Madden, August 28, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Fans of the Madden franchise have taken the good with the bad for years now. Like many, I've dutifully forked out my $60 each year to get the newest version of the game. Each year there are drawbacks (middle linebackers that can leap and intercept every pass over the middle, players being sucked into tackles, receivers that try much less than the defensive backs to catch a ball, the fact that you will be sacked nearly every time you try a play action pass - the list goes on and on) and each year EA addresses an issue or two (whether they actually fix them or not), updates the rosters, and convinces us to spend another $60 for the newest edition. Even with the drawbacks, for those of us who love Madden, we start our franchise mode, use the fantasy draft to assemble a team that can overcome the shortcomings of this year's game and beat the competition, and import our draft classes from EA's corresponding annual release of the NCAA Football game. I am one of those players who not only enjoys all of that, but continues playing the same team I've built from the ground up for multiple seasons at a stretch.

This year?

No franchise mode.

No fantasy draft.

No importing of draft classes from NCAA Football 13 that many of us dropped an additional $60 on - in some cases, primarily so we could import draft classes for multiple seasons of Madden.

To some customers, those omissions may not seem like a big deal. But for many of us, it's like buying a new car and being told what color you will receive, having all of the radio stations preprogrammed and locked in place, and only being allowed to drive the vehicle on certain routes. Does the car work? Sure. Does it drive better than last year's model? It does. Can you roll down the windows, crank up your favorite song, and drive wherever the road may lead you? Not a chance.

For many of us who have faithfully played each and every annual release of Madden for years now, they took everything we love about the game and trashed it. It's not that they kept flawed pieces in place, EA actually took portions of the game we've eagerly looked forward to and embraced for countless years and ripped them out. I've played literally thousands of hours in the Madden series and if you broke that time down between teams I've assembled through fantasy drafts and teams that EA assembled for me (the latter being the only option in Madden NFL 13), I'd guess that ratio is somewhere close to 200:1. I've been playing Madden since the SNES days and while I've had my share of complaints with past editions, Madden NFL 13 was the first time I've ever found myself regretting that I had purchased the latest release.

I'm giving Madden NFL 13 a one star rating - not because the game is worthless, but because EA literally ripped out what for many of us was the heart and soul of the game and sold us an empty shell instead. For me, it's no longer "Madden," it's just a football game. It's bad enough that I returned the game shortly after purchasing it, losing a good chunk of money in the process. The omissions, which we've relied on and enjoyed in countless previous versions of Madden, are truly that important to the game.

1.0 out of 5 stars With What I Know Now I Wouldn't Waste 60 Bucks, September 5, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'm gonna start with some positives. The graphics are beautiful...that's pretty much it. Now to the negatives. To me, connected careers didn't really add anything worth while. I didn't like that the players ratings in connected careers(coach) were different than the ratings in the main roster in the game. Like some people I didn't like that you couldn't edit players in careers but not because of ratings but because some players were listed at the wrong positions.I liked that they added an experience feature but career practice mode was attrocious. To gain the most experience you didn't even have to choose the more difficult situations,practice was pretty much like playing an extra game for NO reason and some of the descriptions are misleading. For example, one said something to the effect of," Tied 7-7 at halftime. Keep them from scoring and the offense will take care of the rest," which made me believe that I would only be controlling the defense but after I forced a 3 and out and they punted I was controlling the offense along with the defense for the remainder of the practice. Also right out the gate you don't have access to free agency but the cpu does and signs players. Some people have been raving about the improved A.I., but I haven't seen it. I consistently beat press coverage by calling a hot route on the reciever that looks like he's going to be pressed and switch him to a streak. In hot routes you can no longer adjust where the route goes you can just change the route and adjust the depth by using smart route. Recievers will start games off dropping wide open passes for no reason(no matter who they are or how high their catch rating is) Running the ball is difficult if your team doesn't have a star back. Rb's get stuck, and trip over linemen. I have gotten better at running the ball by hitting the holes but it is still pretty bad. The only thing on defense I have noticed is that when I went cover 3 to defend the deep pass for no reason my corners would stop running allowing the reciever to get way past them for no reason. No play action. No play fake or complex route. Nothing. The graphics are beautiful on the infinity engine and some of the weird "glitches," ( I guess?) are funny but for the most part an extremely frustrating experience especially considering they held this games release for 2 weeks longer than its usual release date( august 14). You would think it would be more polished.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Franchise/Fanstasy Draft, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This is the last time I buy a product from EA. Whoever decided to remove Franchise Mode and a Fantasy Draft should be fired. For years I've been buying the same Madden game and NCAA game just so I can import my NCAA draft class and draft my own players to my favorite NFL team. Now EA has taken that away from me. I will be returning this game today. The removal of Fantasy Draft ruined Madden for me and my entire Fall. Thank you EA you lost money and a customer today.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Soulless Game, September 3, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I am so unbelievably disappointed in this game. Whenever I used to play Madden, I knew it had faults, but I still enjoyed it. It was an experience and you could really get into Franchise mode or even Superstar mode. Playing online would be a roller coaster, with ups and downs that would get you off your seat. I used to care about this madden franchise, but now... its like the soul was wrenched from the body of this series, and all fans are left with is a hollow feeling. I don't even feel like I'm playing a game, rather than just watching impressively animated pixels tackle one another. It doesn't seem real to me anymore. I'm thoroughly disappointed. This is probably the worst madden I've ever had the misfortune of playing and spending $60 bucks on. I will never buy another Madden game again

2.0 out of 5 stars Offline Co-Op...Gone? Seriously?, August 30, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Every year my brother and I look forward to the newest version of Madden (usually with the hopes that whatever bugged us from the previous version would finally be gone). Every year we start a franchise, usually picking one on the lower end of the totem pole (being Rams fans, this made picking a team pretty easy year in and year out). And then we'd play for several years, drafting our own little custom team, taking them from the gutter to the Super Bowl, usually on the back of a sturdy RB because our passing game is terrible. This in mind, Madden 13 looked promising. The presentation was far sleeker, determined to mimic the actual games, using the licensed music, etc. We were particularly excited about all the improvements to the franchise mode (now re-skinned and renamed as coach career). The physics engine in particular felt far more realistic and enjoyable, and for once, when we played the demo, we were able to throw passes without the magical defenders instantaneously knowing (our guess is radar, or eyes growing out of their shoulder pads).

So we bought the game, loaded it up, downloaded the most current tuning data, and then started the illustrious career of Mr. Mad Genius. Mr. Genius was a strategic coach taking over for the Rams, with high hopes of grinding out yet another Super Bowl with a bruising running game. We're ready to go, team picked, coach created, and cuts made to the rosters for the preseason deadline. To our delight, there's a bunch of scenarios you can practice. You can only play one from a large list, with the higher difficulties (or more time consuming ones) giving more exp. Sweet! We're rpg addicts. We like exp. So we start one up...and notice it's just my brother playing.

Is it because it's just practice? We tell ourselves it is just because it's practice. Surely EA couldn't be this dumb. They just couldn't be. Could they?

Yes. Yes they can. We loaded up a preseason game, and my second player controller is missing. We checked online to confirm, still thinking we missed something. But no. You cannot co-op a Franchise in any way, shape, or form, not even in offline mode. The entire reason we have bought a Madden game years on end is now *gone*. I have no desire to play now, and neither does my brother. We're both so stunned. I'm going to hold out for a month or so that maybe EA will patch it in, but if not, I'll be selling my copy.

*edit*

Offline-coop was finally added in a patch, though by the time we got back together, the NFL season had been going for awhile, and our excitement just wasn't the same. Plus, we did play it a bit more, and it felt like a lot of the annoyances we had, things originally thought to be fixed, we right back to the forefront (Hi magical interceptions!) Still disappointed, but will bump the star rating up to 2-star for at least addressing this blatantly obvious failure.

1.0 out of 5 stars EA sports you let me down, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I will never buy another EA sports game before playing it. They completely took out franchise mode and fantasy drafts!!!!!!!!!! I cannot get over this being gone. I used to do countless fantasy drafts with countless different teams and even play a few with my favorite team. I will most likely sell this game and just play Madden 12. What a joke. The bottom line is Madden went cheap! No good music this year, lame commentating still, slightly elevated gameplay (whichi is to be expected this day and age), and a horrible game design and menu screen. Some of the online features look ok but I don't want to be a player or a coach, I want to be the whole team and thats what Franchise mode was. I can't believe the engineers (or some dumb exec) at EA decided to completely remove this mode. DO they not think a fantasy draft is popular enough. DO they not play fantasy football or see its popularity!~!!!!????. EA sports you lost a loyal customer today! I just cancelled my FIFA 13 pre-order! The football video game market is now open! Madden no longer a monolpoly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRAY(0x9ed84828)

Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360
Madden NFL 13 - Xbox 360 by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
$29.99 $10.96