5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Lose/Lose Situation
Published on December 31, 2010 by Kim W.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read
Published on January 25, 2011 by LMS

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, January 25, 2011
LMS "Book worm" (WI United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is not your typical diet. There are no quick fixes or easy answers to be found. Instead, Lysa Terkuerst takes a different tack. She talks about craving. She states (and I agree) that we were made to crave. The problem isn't with craving itself, but rather WHAT we crave. She is also very transparent about her own struggles with excess weight and low self-esteem. She doesn't claim to have all the answers and admits she still struggles. Lysa has a lot of good things to share. I agree that when it comes to losing weight, the biggest issue isn't knowing what to do. There are countless diet books to guide you. However, I know for me, the biggest issue is the want to. I would rather have quick fix. Pop a pill or try this diet. I want the benefits of losing weight without the discipline and hard-work it takes to make that a reality. Lysa discusses that topic in depth in the book. That and her discussion of emotional eating are two of this book's biggest strengths.

I like that Lysa points out that being overweight is more than just a physical battle and issue. It's a mental, emotional, and spiritual issue as well. I think that this is an element that is missing in many diet books. Lysa will hit you where it hurts and raise issues you may not want to think about.

However, I would be remiss if I didn't mention a couple of problems with this book as well. The diet that Lysa used to lose the excess weight is one that is extremely restrictive. No sugar, bread, rice, potatoes, corn, or pasta. I'm just not convinced that such a restrictive diet is healthy or sustainable long-term. I believe it is possible to get portions under control without such a restrictive diet. She is quick to suggest that such a restrictive diet isn't right for everyone. But it's the only diet discussed in the book. She fails to discuss less restrictive options. I know myself too well. I would never be able to completely cut sugar and starch out of my diet. I don't think I could maintain a diet like that short-term, much less for the rest of my life.

I also found it frustrating that Lysa is very rigid and legalistic about having something she is craving, such as a sweet, a baked good, or dessert. She makes a sound like a person who is trying to lose weight should never ever, have things like that again. It seems to me like she fails to see the difference between having one brownie, once in a while, and eating the entire pan in one sitting. . She trusts God to help her overcome her cravings and temptations, so why can't she employ the same faith and trust here? In my opinion, a lot of the problem isn't in WHAT we eat, but rather in how much. Lysa doesn't even discuss eating in moderation, and I wonder why. Even so-called healthy foods can cause you to gain weight if you eat too much of them. Calories are calories.

Overall, this is a good book, and I would highly recommend it. Lysa does have a lot of good and thought-provoking things to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Lose/Lose Situation, December 31, 2010
I honestly bought this book mostly because I have followed Lysa for years, starting with her testimony about adoption. However, this book is written for anyone that not only has a struggle with weight, but also cooks for a family or just has a general struggle with feeling guilty over something ALL the time ~ like me. I wrote that this book creates a lose/lose situation, and here is what I mean. It can encourage you through scripture to lose weight and lose guilt...but what I didn't mention in my review title is this ~ the perspective and encouragement I GAINED from this read far outweighs the benefits of what I can lose. I was honestly in tears by the third chapter. I had never really realized how much not only I eat for reward and happiness, but I also subjected my family to this. My kids do something well..."Where do you want to go to eat?" or "What special meal do you want me to make you?" is always my first question. Wow. My husband and I are both dealing with the creeping on of weight, and I turn 40 in 2 1/2 months. This book could not have been put in my hands at a better time. What a great and gracious God we have! I pray as you open the pages of this book you will not expect a quick fix diet plan, because this is not it. This is the beginning of a journey...a journey to find out who you really are in God's eyes. Why we do the things we do. And how scripture can ALWAYS point us in the right direction. Lysa's insight into scripture is very revealing and refreshing. Blessings to you as you open this amazing tool for the beginning of the rest of your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was Made For More!, December 27, 2010
This book is such an excellent read! It's like sitting down talking to a girlfriend. I just received the book 6 days ago and I only have 3 chapters left to read for my first run through. I am so excited about what is in the book that I can't put it down and I can't read it slowly yet. My husband is wishing that he got me a bedside table lamp for Christmas because I'm up late every night reading this book. I have discovered that the book not only helps women that are struggling with food, but struggling in other areas of life as well. I have used the scriptures that Lysa highlights to help me overcome other areas in my life that I was lacking in. I have also been using the practical advice and scriptures to help my brother that is having problems in his marriage. The focus of the book helps us to realize, no matter the issue we need to crave God! It's amazing how I have seen this book help in 2 areas of my life already and in the life my brother (I didn't tell him that I got the scriptures and advice from a girlie book). My doctors have been telling me that I am overweight for 3 years now and I knew that already, but I am making preparations to meet with a nutritionist soon, because I need hard core help. I look forward to my slowed down reread of this amazing book. I thank God that Lysa is open about what a lot of us girls go through. I think this would be amazing in a small group. We don't need to do this alone and what better way then with the girls? After all, we used to go eat with the girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made to Crave Participant's Guide - leads to great self-discovery and great group discussions, July 15, 2011
I've had the pleasure of leading 12 women in my church through this book and it's accompanying DVD & participant's manuals. We have two sessions left. Lysa's materials are definitely thought provoking, challenging, and empowering!! While not a diet plan, this book will help you conquer whatever thing in your life, whether food or not, that you turn to in times of stress, boredom, in need of comfort, etc. instead of turning to God first. The journey that the 13 of us are on has been wonderful. We are discussing going right through it a second time because there is so much to digest (no pun intended!). Lysa helps you accept who you are, but doesn't let you settle there. She reminds you that you were made to crave God. You have that same power in you that raised Jesus from the dead. You have the power to say "no" to anything that gets in the way of your relationship with Jesus Christ. We love being "Jesus girls" and we love Lysa's girlfriend style approach to teaching us how to be the best "Jesus girls" we can be!

I will also tell you, that as a women's ministry co-director and Bible study facilitator, I was hesitant to do this particular study. I thought it wouldn't be enough Bible for a "Bible study". Lysa does a wonderful job taking us throughout God's word.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME BOOK, March 5, 2011
AWESOME BOOK AND AWESOME AUTHOR!! Anyone struggling with any kind of cravings and it doesn't have to be just weight loss, this is the book for you. She tells her story, trials, and tribulations about how she has overcome and how we can all overcome and references it to the Bible. I love this book and will share it with everyone! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What. I crave!, March 18, 2011
Carole Bishop (Williams Bay, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made to Crave Participant's Guide: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food (Paperback)
For 25 years I have lost and gained weight repeatedly. Got to the point that I was accepting I would always struggle with loving food. I didn't have the "want to" to change. 5 girlfriends wanted to try the Made To Crave book. It only took reading the intro to get me started. I've been praying for the "want to" along with reading the book & workbook, and I'm losing my love for food, and gaining more love for God! I would highly recommend this book if you are tired of the struggle with food or any addiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 21, 2010
This is an excellent book for anyone who wants to develop a relationship with God while trying to lose weight. You are going to want to read this book over and over again. This isn't a book on how to lose weight. It's a book to grow closer to God while you are losing weight

5.0 out of 5 stars FaNtAsTiC!!, March 26, 2011
This is a great study & a wonderful addition to the book! Lysa does a fantastic job stepping us through the journey of learning how God really does care about our weight loss & how to prove it in the Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift to ALL that Struggles with their Weight, December 27, 2010
Lysa completely engulfed herself in this one folks! It is a MUST read!

I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. A few months ago, I began a new eating plan that is working well for me, although I still had those horrible cravings. Lysa teaches you steps when to take when those horrible cravings start after you. I won't spoil the book for you here, but I can say . . . Lysa, Thank You SO Much for an INCREDIBLE book that is now a companion to my eating plan. I began using Lysa's suggestions after ONLY three chapters of the book . . . can't wait to completely finish the book in the next night or two and then I will read it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Crave God, not Food., February 5, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is definitely for a Christian audience. The author calls for a replacement of food cravings with God cravings, which won't work unless you already have the appropriate belief system in place.

The author is horribly honest about her problems with weight--to the point that I was craving pizza, cheez-its, chocolate, and other junk at the end of every chapter--and I don't usually eat any of that on a regular basis. The idea is that a healthy weight will help you have more energy and serve God better. Good food is better for your body, and because your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, you have the obligation to take care of your body. Lysa has cut out sugar, pasta, bread, and lots of other foods to reach her goal weight--and she still doesn't eat them. She points out that self-control to honor God is not something you give up when you fit into your "skinny jeans." Exercise is good for you, so do it.

It is definitely more of a "why" you should change your eating habits than "how," and if you need motivation to change how you eat, this book may provide that.

$10.99 $9.34