5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Teens
Published on May 21, 2012 by Megan L Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
My daughter recommended it for me. Its for younger women, I'm too old, been there, done it.
Published 3 months ago by Patty Callison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Teens, May 21, 2012
This review is from: Made to Crave for Young Women: Satisfying Your Deepest Desires with God (Paperback)
Made to Crave for Young Women: Satisfying Your Deepest Desires with God is a book that speaks to women of all ages. I was drawn in by the subtitle of the book, Satisfying Your Deepest Desires with God. I really struggle with this, but I know that is what the Christian life is all about. I read the rest of the book's description, and it seemed like it had some fresh ideas that weren't what is normally covered in a lot of the Christian Living books out there. I did see that it is for Young Women and it seemed like it was aimed at high-school teenagers. I saw that there was also another Made to Crave that is for women, but that one is just all about a woman's struggle with food, eating and weight and how she puts those cravings ahead of God. This Made to Crave for Young Women seemed to cover a lot more areas of struggles besides food that I thought would be more helpful to me.

Once I read it, I was so glad I had decided to give it a try! If you struggle in any other area besides eating, I would recommend this book over the other one because of the wider variety of examples and struggles that the authors cover. Of course, you have to remember that the two authors are speaking mostly to a teen audience, but as I am in my mid-20s and read a lot of young adult books, it did not bother me. It is also written in a way so that anyone can relate to it. Don't we all still deal with the same struggles that we dealt with in high school anyway, in some form or another? I know I do. Sorry for those who are still in high school, but those struggles do not go away, they just keep coming back in different forms. That's why it is so important to learn as early on as possible how to conquer those struggles with God's help! Lysa and Shaunti give the reader great practical advice on how to do that and make God our number one heart's desire.

The main point of the book is that we as humans put other desires and things in our lives before God. These "things" are what the authors call "God substitutes." They are emotional(the desire to be loved and accepted), physical (to be comforted by physical satisfaction and pleasure) and material cravings (a desire for something that makes us feel special, improved or new). These aren't necessarily bad desires in themselves. The problem comes when we automatically go to them first instead of God. These are desires that God wants to satisfy and only He truly can.

There are so many good things that I appreciate about this book. I love how Lysa and Shaunti go through each of the desires and give examples of what they are and how to overcome them. The authors are honest, genuine and down-to-earth. Lysa and Shaunti also give engaging personal stories from their lives to which many will be able to relate.

I find it to be very helpful that practical examples are interspersed throughout the book. Each chapter has a step-by-step action plan at the end that gives the reader a way to apply that chapter to her life.

An example is how Lysa and Shaunti believe one's cravings can be retrained. You will crave what you are focusing on. They give ways to change one's thought pattern by replacing the negative thoughts with positive ones through Scripture (they provide the reader with specific Scripture and exercises to help with this). By filling themselves with God and Scripture, the reader can be satisfied with God alone.

This is truly a wonderful read and I grew in my walk with Christ as a result of this book! I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is a clean read.

I want to thank Zondervan, Lysa Terkeurst & Shaunti Feldhahn for the complimentary copy of this book for review.I was not required to write a positive review.The opinions I express in this review are my own.This is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's CFR 16, Part 255.

4.0 out of 5 stars made to crave, April 5, 2012
From the press release:

Made to Crave For Young Women is modeled after TerKeurst's bestselling adult book, Made to Crave. In this new edition, the authors expand beyond the food-related focus of the original, and into all the other areas of craving shared by so many teenage girls. The authors acknowledge that the desire to make wrong choices is common and that most of us share such temptations. But, as TerKeurst writes, "Whether we are talking about guys, friends, food, body image, new clothes, or anything else we abuse to try to fill ourselves, nothing in this world can ever fill us like God's portion."

My Thoughts:

The book discusses three types of cravings--physical, material, and emotional. Each section of the book takes one of these cravings and discusses where we can fall into temptation and sin when we have wrong thinking about each subject. At the end of each chapter is a "takeaway" summary of what was discussed in the chapter. Also there is an action plan that encourages girls to keep a journal and challenges them to act on what they have learned in each chapter. Made To Crave for young women encourages girls to fill their lives with a loving Heavenly Father instead of filling their cravings with physical, material or emotional things. Filled with scriptures, encouragement and practical advice Made To Crave For Young Women can be used as a devotional or study group book. I know I will be passing my copy on to my nieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for mother/daughter bonding!!, July 7, 2012
This book is a perfect way to bond with your teenage daughter. I bought 2, one for myself and 1 for my daughter and we are going through it together. It's letting her see a side of me she didn't know and allowing for some great teachable moments. At the same time it's letting me see inside of her and see what a lovely, wise, young woman she's becoming. This book has been very eye opening for both of us and has drawn us closer together. I highly recommend it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best non-fiction book I have read this year. By far., March 8, 2012
{This book was given to me for free from Zstreet team}

Every single person, man, woman, boy or girl, has a longing on the inside of us. The longing for something more. We have longings to be loved, to feel happy, even if for a moment. Those longings, while natural, will destroy our lives if not handled correctly. We were made to fill those longings with God. Not chocolate chip cookies, or a handsome boyfriend, or those adorable shoes at the store. In this fantastically written book, Shaunti Feldhahn and Lysa TerKeurst show that it is God's plan for us to run to Him instead of to food, material possessions, or even other people. If we run to God, we can experience eternal happiness rather than short-lived enjoyment.
This book was exceedingly better than I could have hoped. This book was perfect for me at this time in my life. I have always seemed to have a problem with self control. This past week, however, I have been trying to walk in more self-control. This book could not have come at a more perfect time. This book has helped me so much, I can't even begin to tell you. Though hard to pick, I think one of my favorite quotes is this one,
"The key, friends, is not to simply follow a rule- it's to be wise about our choices so we rely on God rather than something we crave."

Talk about a perfect quote! Using scripture throughout, this book easily makes the best non-fiction book I have read this year. Overall, I would one-hundred percent recommend this book. It is one of the few books that is COMPLETELY worth your money. I guarantee it.

Sincerely,
Libbi H.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that answered all my questions!!!, March 21, 2014
I am so fulfilled after reading this book!!! I have been at war with myself for over a decade now and although I am 30yrs old, I was able to relate to the younger me and older me! THANK YOU :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read!, March 13, 2013
Lysa is so good at putting things in perspective, and she is so relatable. Made to Crave is one of those books that will change your life, and leave you always thinking of the points she made and references she gives.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book for young women, December 10, 2012
I bought this book for my 11 year old niece and believe it will be a very helpful tool for her to grow in her spiritual walk...the most important "walk" she will ever take!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Two thumbs up, September 7, 2013
Great book for a teen/woman struggling to find herself. Highly recommend for a group study or individual read. Enjoying reading with my daughter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reading, April 7, 2014
I bought this book originally for my God daughter who is in her twenties not realizing the book really is for a more younger audience. I plan to order her the other one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this author!, April 4, 2014
Lysa TerKeurst makes Biblical truths relevant for today. Her style of communication is easy to apply and understand. It's nice to know that someone of her intelligence and accomplishments is able to relate to the struggle of controlling food choices.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›