A number of viewers has ridicule this film saying that it's just a men in drag trying to be funny which has been done before and that is true, but none of those have been done like this.

Published on June 27, 2006 by Jenny J.J.I.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Slap-Happy Comedy I Expected
Published on August 26, 2006 by KDMask

4.0 out of 5 stars One of Perry's compelling story told of love and pain without color., June 27, 2006
This review is from: Madea's Family Reunion (Full Screen Edition) (DVD)

Madea's Family Reunion is about family, love, hurt, painful secrets and laughter. It features the infamous, gun-toting tell-it-like-it-is Madea, but this movie introduces a lot of well-rounded characters that are played by some incredible actors. We meet Vanessa the older of the two nieces in the movie. She has two out-of-wedlock children and has moved in with Madea. We also meet her sister Lisa, the younger and meek one who is engaged to a wealthy and violent investment banker named Carlos. To round out this group is Victoria, Lisa and Vanessa's mother, a strong-willed, domineering mother who has a favoritism for Lisa and a troubled past with Vanessa.

Although the film is titled Madea's Family Reunion, the viewer gets caught up in this dual story of the sisters. One finding what love is, and one finding out what love isn't. The movie boasts powerful issues that are acted out to perfection. Tackling such controversial issues is rarely seen in films today where the movie industry has caught remake and horror fever. What is most compelling is the way Perry tells this story of love and pain, it is without color. Anyone, no matter what race or status can relate to this movie.I also liked how the movie tackled foster parenting. Madea takes in Nikki, a rough quick little girl who has been passed around in the foster care system. With a little patience, a lot of love and encouragement, we see her metamorphosis into a sweet young lady.

The film also features strong matriarchs, garnering appearances from both Cicely Tyson and Maya Angelou. The family reunion scene in the movie is exhilarating and honest. It also gives a very moving speech by Cicely Tyson that defies time.

This is a must-see. A movie that tackles the good and the bad. There is good acting, great story lines, great character development, great music and it will leave you feeling stronger, encouraged and educated on the lessons that life deals us. Don't assume this movie is like the play or is simply about a man in drag. Trust me, it is not. You will be pleasantly surprised and definitely entertained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some People just don't get it!, June 29, 2006
This review is from: Madea's Family Reunion (Full Screen Edition) (DVD)
I read a couple of the reviews and laughed when the one guy said he sat in the DARK...'NUFF SAID' This is comedy which is if anyone really understands true comedy , is based on reality. Of course this is over the top but this is how the plays were as well, if you bothered to watch them. In any event I thought the story telling in this movie surpassed Diary of a Mad Black Woman, I go to the movies to laugh and be entertained when it's comedy, and that is what this movie did!!! As for your million dollar movie idea about the "BLACK EXPERIENCE" When you turn into a black man then you can share it with me, Until then NO THANKS!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great acting all around, June 26, 2006
This review is from: Madea's Family Reunion (Full Screen Edition) (DVD)
The Tyler Perry movie Madea's Family Reunion-The Movie is now available on DVD for the first time. The film is an adaptation of the stage play of the same name. Madea's Family Reunion hit theaters in early 2006 on the heels of Perry's successful 2005 movie Diary of a Mad Black Woman. Madea's Family Reunion opened at #1 in the US box office and held that spot for two consecutive weekends. The film was written and directed by Tyler Perry.

Perry stars in the film as Madea and as several other supportin characters . Consider yourself warned, there is far less Madea in this film than in the previous film. In the early scenes of the movie Madea is awarded a foster daughter (Ke Ke Palmer) by the courts. The girl has a bad mouth and is unruly. Naturally Madea "whips" her into shape. Although this storyline was mentioned heavily in the promotion of the film this storyline is actually the least developed in the film.

The primary storylines are those of Madea's Lisa and Vanessa. Lisa is a refined beautiful woman engaged to a wealthy Atlanta businessman named Carlos (Blair Underwood). He is very abusive. Despite the abuse her mother Victoria (Lynn Whittfield) encourages her to stay in the relationship. Lisa's sister Vanessa is emotionally battered and bruised single mother of two. When she meets a handsome bus driver named Brian (Boris Kodjoe), she is afraid to open her heart and love and be loved.

Madea's Family Reunion-The Movie is an excellent film with an all star black cast. Maya Angelou, Cicely Tyson, and Jennifer Lewis are just a few of the talents rounding out the cast. Some of the most impressive acting came from Lisa Arrindell Anderson who portrayed Vanessa in the film.

Madea's mannerism's and one liner's bring needed laughs to a film with a strong and powerful message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!!, May 18, 2006
This review is from: Madea's Family Reunion (Full Screen Edition) (DVD)
I went to the theatre and saw the movie and I loved it!! I also own the play. However, the movie is nothing like the play but I loved it just the same. I am a big Madea fan. I own every play that came out thus far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comedy & Drama, August 1, 2007
This review is from: Madea's Family Reunion (Full Screen Edition) (DVD)
When I rented "Madea" I expected something along the lines of Big Mama's house. There were definitely comedic moments with that type of humor, but I was pleasantly surprised at the more serious moments in this movie. It deals with one of Madea's nieces being abused by her fiance, a foster child in need of guidance and discipline, and a commentary on the degradation of black society.

The part I enjoyed the most was at the end of the family reunion, where Maya Angelo criticized all the young people for acting like the portrayal of "cool black culture" (gambling, sexually explicit, bad language, lack of education, etc etc).

I ended up laughing quite a bit because I saw some of my family members personal flavor in this. The "old style" of discipline and child rearing included a few smacks and stern lectures. Oh Madea, I feel like you were at my family reunions.... There was some gross humor (fart jokes) which I never have liked and doubt I ever will; but they weren't so prominent that it detracted from the movie a lot.

I recommend that you rent or buy this movie. I'm 17 and I enjoyed it, and my 54 year old mother even enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Slap-Happy Comedy I Expected, August 26, 2006
KDMask (Rochester, NY) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Madea's Family Reunion (Full Screen Edition) (DVD)
By the trailers, you'd think that this movie is more like "Big Mamma's House" than a drama about black families identities and love. There are some great actors (Cicily Tyson for one) but the dialog felt forced at some points. Although one character gets abused by another; Medea makes no bones about whoopin' peoples BEHINDS throughout the movie. It's about respect of women (as shown in one storyline) and then at the reunion, men sit around and make a girl grab a beer from the bottom of a barrel to show her butt better. Mixed messages, you bet.

The movie is much more about love and is definately a "Chick Flick" in one way...but with a lot of fart jokes thrown in.

Maybe this works much better as a stage play. I'm not sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong performances, Inconsistent tone,, December 17, 2006
This review is from: Madea's Family Reunion (Full Screen Edition) (DVD)
I think it was at least 10 minutes in to this movie before it started to feel at all like a comedy. Other reviewers described it well; it jerks between intense drama and low-brow comedy. For example, I think there there was an abrubt transition from a scene where Carlos threatens & slaps Lisa to a scene featuring fart jokes; it had the emotional effect of trivializing the abuse or making the humor seem cold-hearted or both, not what I would think Perry wanted to achieve. Things like this just gave the whole movie a somewhat "B-movie" feel.

Still & all, there was a surprisingly strong connection for me, largely because it wrestles with a lot of psychological archetypes and issues that are common in black culture, and probably in low income communities in general. The psychological scars of abuse & drugs; the dilemna of staying or leaving an abusive relationship when you have no income; ambivalence about success & money; absentee parents; school bullies; disrepectful & delinquent teens; fear of intimacy; tough old survivors with jaundiced attitudes or spiritual strength or both. Perry plays out these very serious themes, but includes enough comedy so that, at the end, you come away not weighed down, but with optimism and faith that, in spite of all the difficulties, the human spirit will find a way to bloom.

Overall, a movie with definite, obvious flaws that still works because of 1) great performances, and 2) compelling themes that strongly resonate with its target audience of black Americans.

5.0 out of 5 stars madea's family reunion the movie, June 24, 2006
This review is from: Madea's Family Reunion (Full Screen Edition) (DVD)
Madea's family reunion the movie is an excellent movie to go see.

The reason I say this is because is was funny, and very educational when it comes to real life.

A must see movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tyler Perry Is Sheer Genius!, December 30, 2007
This review is from: Madea's Family Reunion (Full Screen Edition) (DVD)
I'm currently so very filled with total admiration for this brilliant and, forgive me, seemingly annointed story teller, actor, director, music composer, producer, I hardly know where to begin! I had NO clue who Tyler Perry was until one night a few months ago. I was a bit down in the dumps and I picked out this film from my local video store. I merely thought it would give me a few laughs, as I needed them at the time. Well, dear ones, hold on to your hat, hearts and kleenex as this film and this MAN are so much more! Madea's Family Reunion is "dramady" (drama/comedy) and both styles are perfectly joined together in this film! The acting, comedy and drama are first rate! Not to mention the varied and important lessons it imparts to everyone! The closing scenes of the family reunion are powerful and poignant with the brilliant Cicely Tyson teaching the family of today, what they've seemed to have lost unless the new generation of family doesn't learn to have more respect and love for each other. If I could I would love to MEET Tyler Perry and personally thank him, from the bottom of my heart, for this film that spoke to me in so many ways, and continues to bless me! With laughter and with tears! God bless you, Mr. Perry! You are amazing! MUST SEE! OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

2.0 out of 5 stars If you want to be confused..., July 23, 2006
J. Brinich (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Madea's Family Reunion (Full Screen Edition) (DVD)
Ok. I am a fan of Diary of a Mad Black Woman- it is one of my favorite movies. Maybe that's why I am so dissapointed by Family Reunion. It is done very poorly, there is no connectivity between the scenes, jumping from an attempted murder scene *Carlos informs his fiance that if he can't have her no one will and tries to launch her off the apartment patio* to a light-hearted scene. This movie does not flow. Tyler Perry seems to have tried to tackle a movie that includes too many stories that don't really come together.

This movie does make it clear beating a woman isn't right, but by throwing hot grits in the perpertrators face a beating him with a frying pan is ok gives the wrong message, as does Madea beating her foster daughter for lying. It says abuse is ok in certain situations- he should have stuck with one or the other- by doing both he sends a unsettling message.

Also, the acting and dialouge was terrible. Really. The few good lines were butchered because of the added dramatics. I know the message was for black men to own up and be responsible and for black women to treat themselves with more respect- which is fine... but it also could be construed as all young black men and women are lacking in morals by portraying them as gamblers and stripper-esk dancers. I think this scene could have been done in a far more tasteful manner.

The message is good but the acting and script are too over the top for me to even think about taking this movie seriously. Save your time and money and just stick with Diary of a Mad Black Woman.

Madea's Family Reunion (Full Screen Edition)
$14.98 $11.98