Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on July 27, 2010
This was actually our first Madeline book. We bought it as a reminder for our daughter of our trip to London. I'm so glad we decided to get it because it has become one of our favorites. I love the way it is written because it makes it fun to read aloud. The story is a little bit long, but that is okay with us!
on May 4, 2014
wonderful book, great story, captivating art, perfect condition. 7yo granddaughter sat down immediately to have me read this to her. later, she read it to her 4yo brother with a small amount of help with some words. the rhyming text makes for an easier read for a new reader.
"Madeline in London" (1961) was the last of the six "Madeline" tales written by Ludwig Bemelmans (1898 -- 1962). Born in Austria, Bemelmans became an American citizen in 1918. He wrote many books for children and adults and was also an artist. But Bemelmans will always be best remembered for "Madeline", with her spunk, audacity, and mischief. I have been enjoying revisiting the Madeline stories with my four-year old granddaughter.

This book moves from Madeline's accustomed surroundings in "the old house in Paris covered with vines" to London and back again. The book features Pepito, the son of the Spanish Ambassador who lives next to the "old house". Pepito is also a character in "Madeline and the Bad Hat" and in "Madeline and the Gypsies." When the Spanish Ambassador is reassigned to London, Pepito becomes wan and lonely. Thus the Spanish Ambassador invites Miss Clavel and her twelve charges, particularly Madeline to hop across the English chanel for a visit to celebrate Pepito's birthday.

Our thirteen wanderers arrive in London without a suitable birthday present, and they take it upon themselves to give Pepito a horse. The mischief begins. The horse takes off for a jaunt through London carrying Pepito and Madeline on his back. After a merry chase, the trio is recovered. The unfortunate horse does little to endear himself to the family as he enters the Ambassador's garden and devours the vegetables and flowers. Madame Ambassador has had enough. At the end of the visit, as Madeline, Miss Clavel and the eleven other girls return home to Paris, they take with them a 14th traveller.

The illustrations are in Bemelmans's freestyle, yellow, black and white with some full-color drawings as well. Scenes of London and its palaces and Big Ben intermingle with drawings of the errant horse, the Spanish Ambassador's residence, Madeline and her comnpanions, and, of course" the old vine-covered house.

This book doesn't seem to be quite as well-known as the other volumes in the Madeline series. But it will delight young, budding readers and the adults who care for them.

Robin Friedman
on September 13, 2010
My four year has recently discovered and now truly old adores Madeline and the capers that she and Pepito get into. This is a fantastic series of stories that I highly recommend to parents with young ones.
on January 7, 2013
Found the first book at the library worn and torn, but my daughter loved it so I went for the next one. Good buy
on October 20, 2010
The French student "Madeline" is a fun series of books for young girls. And this one follows form!
on September 16, 2009
What can I say about Madeline, it is a favorite and I wanted my niece to benefit from having it.
on February 23, 2013
I gave this book to a lovely young lady (8 years old) who is going to London with her family in August. She loves it. She had already read another Madeline book but had not seen this one. The CD is a nice addition for this book. I am glad I chose this book for her before she actually goes to London (and Paris!).
on February 13, 2013
My 2 year old daughter can't get enough of the Madeline books. I suggest reading Madeline and the Bad Hat before this one so that you know the characters in it, but it's not essential. We read it so much that my daughter is now reciting it back to me.
on December 22, 2013
Kids loved it although I thought it was too complicated for my five year old - the story and rhyming we're a little strained as compared to the original Madeline book. But nice enough