5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly
Published on February 8, 2010 by Y. Howard

3.0 out of 5 stars Package size is misleading
While most liquid is packaged by volume this is packaged by weight.

I was able to resolve my complaint with Amazon but I want other shoppers to be aware that his is smaller than you might expect. I estimate that each bottle is 24oz by volume. Still a pretty good deal but not the steal I was hoping for!
Published on June 22, 2011 by whitecalx

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly, February 8, 2010
This review is from: Madhava Organic Light Agave, 46-Ounce (Pack of 2) (Grocery)
After reading how good Agave Nectar is for you and a number of excellent reviews, I decided to take the plunge and order Madhava's Agave Nectar Light in the 46 oz. bottles, pack of two. Not having a clue as to how good or bad this product was going to taste, I was very nervous and wondered if I had made a wise decision or big mistake. I couldn't wait to try it and was delightfully surprised. In tea, it tastes sweeter than sugar. In smoothies, it's sensational. Even a spoonful is wonderful. My husband loves it in his oatmeal and I like to mix it with dehydrated coconut and raw cacao nibs for a real treat. I could not be more pleased with my discovery!

5.0 out of 5 stars 60OZ light Agave Nector, May 4, 2010
I have found that using this product in basically everthing requirng a sweetner to be very easy to use, mixes in so easy, does not crytalize as raw honey can, and does not give me a "sugar rush" feeling. Amazon has the best price I have found and does an excellent job shipping this sweetener with out any damaged bottles. This is the only place I go to purchase this product now. The background information on this product is very interesting, look it up sometime. It is great with Newman's Organic Green Tea!!! Also, this is where I purchace that tea, from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sugar alternative....., February 26, 2010
P. Clifford "RN2B" (Alabama, United States) - See all my reviews
Since I had cancer, I do not eat any artificial sweeteners. I have been looking for years for something other than honey because I am a T-2 diabetic. This Agave is wonderful! The dark has more minerals than the light, and I love both. The price is also very good. Thanks Amazon!

3.0 out of 5 stars Package size is misleading, June 22, 2011
whitecalx "whitecalx" (Oregon, United States) - See all my reviews
While most liquid is packaged by volume this is packaged by weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dont listen to the Dont Eat Agave ppl!, February 20, 2011
I'm so sick of ppl trying to mislead. I've lost 40lbs over the last year with a few diet changes, no working out, and agave has been one of my changes. People say it is actually bad for you and has a high GI value, always question them! I went onto the GI site, and this has a value of 10-19 (per 10grams), which is low, highs being 70+. Also, not all agave is created equal, meaning, if processed it can ruin the quality and content. So, be careful on who you purchase this from. Less processing, the better.

10 grams of sugar has a GI of about 56.666
10 grams of agave has a GI of about 10-19

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this stuff, September 25, 2011
I have used honey for many, many years - and still do. But I really love agave nectar, especially when using it in cold things that I want to sweeten, as it readily mixes in (honey is not good for mixing in cold things - it stays in a gooey wad). This is a very good agave nectar and it is extremely economical compared to honey. I highly recommend this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Agave "nectar" is a scam, May 1, 2012
from Jonny Bowden, PhD, C.N.S.:

Agave syrup (nectar) is basically high-fructose corn syrup masquerading as a health food.

Sorry. Don't kill the messenger.

It's easy to understand how agave syrup got its great reputation. Even the word "Agave" has a fine pedigree, coming from the Greek word for noble. The blue agave species- considered the best for the making agave nectar -- flourishes in rich volcanic soil. (It's also the only variety permitted to be used for the making of tequila.) And extracts from the agave plant have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.

Unfortunately there's zero evidence that any of those compounds are present in the commercially made syrup.

Agave nectar is an amber-colored liquid that pours more easily than honey and is considerably sweeter than sugar. The health-food crowd loves it because it is gluten-free and suitable for vegan diets, and, most especially, because it's low-glycemic (we'll get to that in a moment). Largely because of its very low glycemic impact, agave nectar is marketed as "diabetic friendly". What's not to like?

As it turns out, quite a lot.

Agave nectar has a low-glycemic index for one reason only: it's largely made of fructose, which although it has a low-glycemic index, is probably the single most damaging form of sugar when used as a sweetener. With the exception of pure liquid fructose, agave nectar has the highest fructose content of any commercial sweetener.

All sugar -- from table sugar to HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup) to honey -- contains some mixture of fructose and glucose. Table sugar is 50/50, HFCS is 55/45. Agave nectar is a whopping 90 percent fructose, almost -- but not quite -- twice as high as HFCS.

Fructose -- the sugar found naturally in fruit -- is perfectly fine when you get it from whole foods like apples (about 7 percent fructose) -- it comes with a host of vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. But when it's commercially extracted from fruit, concentrated and made into a sweetener, it exacts a considerable metabolic price.

Research shows that it's the fructose part of sweeteners that's the most dangerous. Fructose causes insulin resistance and significantly raises triglycerides (a risk factor for heart disease). It also increases fat around the middle which in turn puts you at greater risk for diabetes, heart disease and Metabolic Syndrome (AKA pre-diabetes) .

And fructose has been linked to non-alcoholic, fatty-liver disease. Rats that were given high fructose diets developed a number of undesirable metabolic abnormalities including elevated triglycerides, weight gain and extra abdominal fat.

In the agave plant, most of the sweetness comes from a non-digestible fructose polymer (fiber) called inulin, which actually has some health benefits -- it's considered a fiber. Inulin is a fructose polymer and is not digestible. But there's not much inulin left in the actual syrup. In the manufacturing process, enzymes are added to the inulin to separate the inulin into fructose molecules, resulting in a syrup that has a fructose content that is, at best, 57 percent and -- much more commonly -- as high as 90 percent.

"Agave syrup is almost all fructose, highly processed sugar with great marketing," said Dr. Ingrid Kohlstadt, a fellow of the American College of Nutrition and an associate faculty member at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. "Fructose interferes with healthy metabolism when (consumed) at higher doses", she told me. "Many people have fructose intolerance like lactose intolerance. They get acne or worse diabetes symptoms even though their blood [sugar] is OK".

Agave nectar syrup is a triumph of marketing over science. True, it has a low-glycemic index, but so does gasoline -- that doesn't mean it's good for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - Great Price, December 15, 2010
I use this particular type of agave nectar as it is recommended in my almond flour cookbook. This size works perfectly for me. It's not too heavy to pour a simple 1/2 cup of product and the price is way better from Amazon than from my local health food store. This is a win-win!! Thanks Amazon for another amazing deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best agave!, June 14, 2010
JC (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I love this agave! It's my favorite kind and favorite brand. I think it's much better than any other kind I've tried. I love buying them in the 2 pack - it's a great deal. Highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars be very careful using this stuff if you have any GI problems, March 14, 2013
I bought this elsewhere but same brand as I bought into the hype that it is better for you. I've since learned otherwise. Educate yourselves. I like some honey & lemon in my tea and switched to this instead. I have IBS and ended up in the bathroom almost constantly for 3 days before I realized what was causing it. This was the only change in my diet. I have since learned that it is a common side effect but one that may not be recognized for it's cause.