5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Baking
Published on July 9, 2009 by Barbara Grace Gifford

3.0 out of 5 stars Toxic to Some People
About 30-40% of the population of Central Europe has trouble digesting fructose. If you have trouble digesting fructose, it can cause a lot of unexplained abdominal pain.

This is almost 100% fructose.

Published on December 5, 2009 by L*

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Baking, July 9, 2009
I have been using agave for 2-3 years now and find it can easily sub for any other sweetener. I can't use any artificial sweeteners and sugar (including honey, molasses, brown sugar, malt sugar,etc.) causes me an array of physical problems. Agave is the only sweetener that my body accepts. I have used it to bake cookies, brownies and breads with no difficulty and it tastes great. I recently made hot fudge sauce for my ice cream with it. Because it is sweeter than sugar, I use less of it than I would sugar: 2/3 c. agave = 1 c. sugar. I am really grateful for this natural and organic sugar alternative that lets me have my sweets and eat them too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Toxic to Some People, December 5, 2009

This is almost 100% fructose.

Personally, I spent about two months with very bad, mysterious abdominal pain that seemed to be everywhere. After several weeks of doctor visits, discussions about IBS, and an abdominal ultrasound that came up normal, I started thinking about what was different in my diet: I had been using agave nectar in my tea several times a day. After throwing out the agave nectar and looking online for a list of lower fructose food, I changed my diet, a little.

The pain went away in a matter of days, and hasn't returned.

If you're using agave nectar and you have suddenly started having digestive issues, try getting rid of the agave nectar. For some people, this is really bad stuff.

Note to gluten-intolerant folks: fructose malabsorption can go along with being gluten sensitive or intolerant. If you're wondering why you're still sick if you're following a gluten-free diet, this may be the culprit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, delicious, natural sugar substitute!, July 24, 2010
I first tried Madhava Agave Nectar about 5 years ago when I was on vacation and toured Celestial Seasonings where they had it available as a sweetener in their tasting room. I've been hooked since that day and am loyal to the brand. I use it for nearly everthing I want to sweeten and even though I'm not diabetic, I feel good knowing it has a lower glycemic load than other sweeteners. It not only tastes great, but it really dissolves in cold drinks and I love to drizzle it over cereal and fresh berries for a little lift. It doesn't crystalize like honey does and from everything I've read, it is a completely natural and organic product. While there are products that don't live up to their claim, this is not one of them. I personally endorse this product and have convinced several friends to start using it too! I have zero affiliation and have not received any compensation from Madhava; their products are just wonderful and I am happy to give them the praise they deserve.

I have found it can be expensive to purchage agave nectar at grocery or health food stores and have found Amazon the best source to stock up at a great price and have yet to have a bottle go bad or change before I've used it.

I also recommend trying the amber agave nectar and use it as a syrup replacement for my pancakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, June 14, 2011
I have loved this brand for ages, and couldn't help but snag up the blueberry flavor too. Now, I bought this on impulse I guess, because I had no distinct purpose for it upon ordering. However, I have had it a week and already have found that it is great to mix into oatmeal and as a flavorful sweetener when I make homemade sangria. I also plan on mixing it into green tea once the weather cools down again. Overall, this is not as versatile as the Vanilla one (which is my favorite!), but still very tasty and useful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Agave "nectar" is a scam, February 7, 2011
from Jonny Bowden, PhD, C.N.S.:

Agave syrup (nectar) is basically high-fructose corn syrup masquerading as a health food.

Sorry. Don't kill the messenger.

It's easy to understand how agave syrup got its great reputation. Even the word "Agave" has a fine pedigree, coming from the Greek word for noble. The blue agave species- considered the best for the making agave nectar -- flourishes in rich volcanic soil. (It's also the only variety permitted to be used for the making of tequila.) And extracts from the agave plant have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.

Unfortunately there's zero evidence that any of those compounds are present in the commercially made syrup.

Agave nectar is an amber-colored liquid that pours more easily than honey and is considerably sweeter than sugar. The health-food crowd loves it because it is gluten-free and suitable for vegan diets, and, most especially, because it's low-glycemic (we'll get to that in a moment). Largely because of its very low glycemic impact, agave nectar is marketed as "diabetic friendly". What's not to like?

As it turns out, quite a lot.

Agave nectar has a low-glycemic index for one reason only: it's largely made of fructose, which although it has a low-glycemic index, is probably the single most damaging form of sugar when used as a sweetener. With the exception of pure liquid fructose, agave nectar has the highest fructose content of any commercial sweetener.

All sugar -- from table sugar to HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup) to honey -- contains some mixture of fructose and glucose. Table sugar is 50/50, HFCS is 55/45. Agave nectar is a whopping 90 percent fructose, almost -- but not quite -- twice as high as HFCS.

Fructose -- the sugar found naturally in fruit -- is perfectly fine when you get it from whole foods like apples (about 7 percent fructose) -- it comes with a host of vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. But when it's commercially extracted from fruit, concentrated and made into a sweetener, it exacts a considerable metabolic price.

Research shows that it's the fructose part of sweeteners that's the most dangerous. Fructose causes insulin resistance and significantly raises triglycerides (a risk factor for heart disease). It also increases fat around the middle which in turn puts you at greater risk for diabetes, heart disease and Metabolic Syndrome (AKA pre-diabetes) .

And fructose has been linked to non-alcoholic, fatty-liver disease. Rats that were given high fructose diets developed a number of undesirable metabolic abnormalities including elevated triglycerides, weight gain and extra abdominal fat.

In the agave plant, most of the sweetness comes from a particular kind of fructose called inulin, which actually has some health benefits -- it's considered a fiber. But there's not much inulin left in the actual syrup. In the manufacturing process, enzymes are added to the inulin to break it down into digestible sugar (fructose), resulting in a syrup that has a fructose content that is, at best, 57 percent and -- much more commonly -- as high as 90 percent.

"Agave syrup is almost all fructose, highly processed sugar with great marketing," said Dr. Ingrid Kohlstadt, a fellow of the American College of Nutrition and an associate faculty member at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. "Fructose interferes with healthy metabolism when (consumed) at higher doses", she told me. "Many people have fructose intolerance like lactose intolerance. They get acne or worse diabetes symptoms even though their blood [sugar] is OK".

Agave nectar syrup is a triumph of marketing over science. True, it has a low-glycemic index, but so does gasoline -- that doesn't mean it's good for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME product!, February 24, 2009
No need to look. This is the best deal on Agave. Agave is the answer to the sugar issue. Its better tasting than Honey and can replace sugar in any situation. Is said to be very low on the glycemic index and a good choice for Diabetics. Is delicious on pancakes or sundays. Is made from the nectar of the cactus plant. Can be used by Vegans. Try it and you will be convinced. My family loves it. Desolves quickly, unlike sugar or Honey. Great in coffee or tea. Keep a squeeze bottle at the coffee pot at home or in the office!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW.... Real Maple flavor with low glycemic index, January 17, 2012
Jillinois (midwest, United States) - See all my reviews
I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Maple Flavored Agave Nectar. I wasn't disappointed. This is an outstanding product for anybody who is trying to limit sugars but wants "real" flavor- and not some second-rate product in the "disease" aisle. This stands up to a premium quality maple syrup without the risk of blood sugar spikes. I can see this easily becoming the only 'maple syrup' I ever buy. I can't wait to try the blueberry and raspberry flavors for sweetening fruits :) I already use the 'light' agave nectar in baking with outstanding results. GREAT product.... can't recommend enough. I will mix with about 2 teaspoons of melted butter for the flavor of the "lady-shaped bottle" brand. But I think this will be even better. It's great just tasting a dab on my finger !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boston Iced Coffee Favorite!, October 19, 2011
Donna (Cape Cod Ma.) - See all my reviews
Wow!The perfect calorie solution to good old Boston Irish Iced Coffee! I make a pot of good dark coffee,put it in a pitcher, add The Agave Irish Cream to taste we Irish don't measure LOL) Let it get nice an cold, yummy!! The perfect summer drink for the afternoon slump! Even my friends, the Dunkin Donut high calorie addicts like this. Amazing what they were spending a week At D &D for the specialty iced coffees.Works great in hot coffee too.I admit, I sometimes add a touch of Jamesons LOL Saves on all those calories from the whipped or coffee cream! Agave is supposed to be ok for diabetics also, I'm not an expert so check it out yourself;)I have alos used it on cearel, oatmeal, icecream, hey be creative! I bet it would make a nice frosting too! 2 day shipping , well packaged and way cheaper than the health food stores!

Madhava Organic Agave Nectar Irish Creme -- 11.75 fl oz

2.0 out of 5 stars Some problems with the quality of the product, August 12, 2009
I have ordered Madhava Agave nectar many times and never had a problem, but in this order a couple of the bottles had a black grainy substance in them. I don't know what it was so I threw them out. I have tried to contact the company and Amazon, but no one has returned my emails. I hope either the company or Amazon corrects this problem as I really love this product, but it is too expensive to be able to throw a bottle in the trash.

5.0 out of 5 stars We'll NEVER use Pancake Syrup or Honey AGAIN!!, October 27, 2009
We aren't health freaks or even conscientious eaters. But this stuff is SO GOOD! It is sweet, but not sickly sweet. It is thin and light, unlike honey or molasses. It adds just the right amount of sweetness to the frozen Kashi Blueberry waffles we buy at Costco. OH MY! This stuff is so good! You won't be disappointed. Keep in mind that the benefit to using the light agave nectar is the glycemic load, NOT the amount of calories. Serving per serving, it has similar calories to sugar or other syrup, but the glycemic load is much lower! Which means that we can eat pancakes (in moderation) and waffles with our agave nectar without that drugged feeling afterwards.

Madhava Organic Light Agave, 23.5 Ounce