5.0 out of 5 stars Great guitar!
This is a great guitar for the price I got it for. The guitar had no scratches dents or any sign of wear! If I didn't know any better I would have thought it was new! I also only thought I was receiving only the guitar but it also came with extra strings, a gig bag, and a few other things. Great buy!
Published on September 16, 2011 by Diego

Published 17 months ago by John Manager II

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad guitar if you don't mind working on it out of the box....., July 4, 2013
John Manager II (Topeka, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maestro by Gibson Full Size Acoustic Guitar (Black)
The full sized black Maestro I own plays great now....but not without some work. First off, everything you read about the cheap plastic bridge pins breaking on you is true. Go get yourself better ones from a local music store, or ebay before you have to change the strings. You'll need them. Also, make sure you have a small hammer and nail to get the pieces of broken pins out of the string holes.
The plastic saddle on the bridge is the other of two shortcomings this model has. You'll want to replace that straightaway with changing the first string set. Get a "compensated" saddle of bone, cheap off ebay. They average as of this writing from 5 to 15 dollars for a bridge saddle and 5 to 10 dollars for a set of six bridge string pins.
Both these parts pull in and out, seldom needing tools. You might need a small needle-nosed pliar to remove the bridge saddle and stubborn bridge pins. If the string height is too high, make note of that and get a small ruler and figure how much lower they need to go to be comfortable. Then sand off the new saddle the appropriate amount from the bottom.
Once you do all that, you should be fine. The construction on the body is actually pretty good and with a spruce top and mahogany back and sides, you're actually getting decent tonewoods. You'll pay more for some guitars with lesser grade woods. The finish is generally durable and the sound is good. I've had no trouble with the nut at the headstock, so usually you can get by with what the factory mounts on it. Crazy as it all may sound, it's actually worth the work, as like I mentioned before.....there are more expensive guitars that use lesser quality woods. The most involved tool wise you should need to get is the pliar, and perhaps a sanding block or Dremel Moto-tool. Personally, I prefer that to make the sanding work on a saddle go faster. Some premade compensated saddles you buy might be "drop-in" replacements that need no additional work. If the action on the stock saddle is fine, take it out and with you to a music store and get a replacement that's the same height and you're in business. Once you do all this, you should have a pretty decent looker and player. Mine doesn't sound as good as a top-end Martin or Alvarez (my preferred brand) but you'll have something that will sound in the ballpark with minor outlay of cash and work. Mine goes with me generally to friends' houses, church groups, anywhere I want to play but don't want to take anything nice I own, and it's never let me down.....after a little work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guitar!, September 16, 2011
This review is from: Maestro by Gibson Full Size Acoustic Guitar (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bridge Pins break the first time you change strings, January 26, 2013
This review is from: Maestro by Gibson Full Size Acoustic Guitar (Black)
I have been playing electric, acoustic, and bass guitar for close to 17 years and even though this guitar was a gift it is the WORST quality instrument I own and I couldn't be more disappointed! Not only did it come out of the box with the 2nd and 3rd frets on the E and A string buzzing like crazy but I just tried to change the strings and 4 out of 6 bridge pins broke!!! As I said, I've been playing guitar for a long time and have changed strings many, many times (even daily sometimes in the recording studio) and I just can't believe this. I've never seen anything like it! It's a SHAME that Gibson Guitars (known for creating some of the BEST instruments in the world) would put their name on this trash. Very, very, very disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective guitatar,, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Maestro by Gibson Full Size Acoustic Guitar (Black)
I returned the Maestro guitar to Best Buy because the bridge pins broke off. The man at Best buy was very good about an exchange. The second guitar had the same defect and he replaces the pins and strings. When I got home and took it out of the box I found that the bridge itself had cracked. Best Buy is good about refunding my money and the effort that they put into making it right but the item was terrible and I'm surprised that Gibson has lent their name to this inferior product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter Full Size Guitar, August 26, 2011
Amazon Customer (TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maestro by Gibson Full Size Acoustic Guitar (Black)
I bought my guitar and have not been able to set it down! The action is great, it comes with decent strings, I would recommend to buy some .10 strings for when the originals break. Wonderful sounding and even better price! You will not find a better guitar for cheaper.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gibson should be ashamed, January 18, 2014
This review is from: Maestro by Gibson Full Size Acoustic Guitar (Black)
I figured this cheap guitar would be half-decent since it had the Gibson name on it. Some Chinese guitars are inexpensive and dcent quality. This is not one of them. With all the play in the horrible tuners, you'll be lucky if you can it in tune. Forget about staying there. The fretboard feels very uncomfortable on the fingers, difficult to play; so I wouldn't even recommend this as a good beginner guitar. The strings are junk and I couldn't even get the D-string anywhere close to tune. The one positive about this guitar is that the body and finish is nice. If the fretboard felt better to my fingers, I would consider upgrading the tuners, bridge pins and putting some good strings on it, but it's going back to Best Buy tommorow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for some beginners..., August 30, 2012
Trever Clark (Greenville, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maestro by Gibson Full Size Acoustic Guitar (Black)
Alas, if you buy a guitar this cheap, chances are you ARE a beginner. However, if you aren't used to playing, the fretting is difficult for small or weak hands. While this is something you have to build over time, it is no fun to do just exercises when you could be actually playing something. I also found the tuning difficult, and two experienced guitar players told me it fell out of tune quickly. I was told the strings needed to be tightened...by both players. Therefore, while tuning, my inexperience was my downfall (along with the cheap bridge) and I broke the pathetic plastic saddle within two weeks of purchase. Money totally wasted.

If you have long fingers and strong hands, this guitar might not be a problem for you, but it is cheap, for sure, and it feels cheap. I hated this guitar from about the third day on and was not heart broken when it broke...just mad about money wasted. I should have done more research.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome beginner guitar, July 7, 2012
This review is from: Maestro by Gibson Full Size Acoustic Guitar (Black)
I highly recommend this guitar to any beginner who is serious about learning to play. It is just awesome. I bought this guitar used and it came with a gig bag which I'm not too fond of but the guitar itself is great. Having said that, if you were to pick up a slightly more expensive guitar you would notice it would be a little bit easier to play - but alas, it's better to learn on something more difficult! Highly recommend.

*Please note* The guitar is indeed made of some type of acrylic or plastic material. It still feels high quality, but it is not wood.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed to see that Gibson put their name on this guitar., January 4, 2014
James A Webster "Jim" (Clinton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maestro by Gibson Full Size Acoustic Guitar (Black)
A friend of my wife's just gave this to her 14 year old son as his first guitar. Fortunately my wife told her to send her son to me for a few introductory lessons. I'm really glad I got my hands on this guitar before the poor kid had it long enough to end up discouraged from every playing an instrument. The action was so low that the bass strings all buzzed to the point of making the guitar unplayable. As it happens I build guitars, so I took the kid and his new guitar to my workshop so I could replace the saddle to raise the string action and do whatever other adjustments it might need. As I pulled the bridge pins to remove the strings, 3 of the six pins broke. Two of the broken pins were simply impossible to pull out or to push out from inside the guitar body. I was able to carefully drill them out without damaging the pin holes -- not something I'd recommend anyone else trying if they aren't an experienced builder or repair person. Also while I had the strings off for the repair I could see that the cheap plastic nut is also going to need replacement fairly soon. The strings had already cut into and widened the slots in the plastic. I'll replace it with a bone nut sometime before it self-destructs. I don't expect a cheap guitar to come with a bone nut, but I've seen cheap guitars with decent plastic nuts -- but this plastic nut is junk.

I see other reviewers here have commented on the same broken bridge pin problem. It's just a stroke of luck that the kid came to me and I happened to have the knowledge and spare parts needed to make him a proper saddle and to replace the crappy bridge pins with a decent set.

The only reason I'm giving this guitar 2 stars instead of 1 is that after I replaced the saddle and bridge pins it was playable. But this guitar should have had a decent setup and decent bridge pins before it ever left whatever factory Gibson has let use its name. Given that they are shaving pennies by using the world's worst bridge pins, I have to wonder what other corners they cut.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good for much of anything., January 6, 2014
This review is from: Maestro by Gibson Full Size Acoustic Guitar (Black)
I have to give this guitar SOME credit because it was the first acoustic guitar I've ever owned. I've owned two of these by the way.

The first one I got was about 7 years ago. It was 69.99 new at Best Buy, but I've heard they sold these at Toys-R-Us and other stores as well. The other one was going to be thrown away by my girlfriend because she didn't want to spend money to get it repaired so I fixed it (which was an extremely long process).

It plays and the sound resembles the sound of a guitar made out of some form of wood. The strings that come on it or with it (if they're still including an "extra" set with it) are barely worthy of being used to hang a picture, much less be strung on an instrument with the intent of making music with them. The first step is to remove them and use them to hang some pictures or just drop them in the trash.

Secondly both guitars I've owned had ridiculously high saddles that needed to be removed and filed before even thinking about playing. The first one I removed almost 1/2 of the saddle, the second was only about 1/8" (and the chunk of string they were using to prop up the high-E side).

Both guitars needed severe truss rod adjustment. The first was forward-bowed so badly that the strings were almost 7/8 inch above the octave mark (two dotted fret) on the neck and were hard to push down and make chords. The second was back-bowed so badly, right out of the box, that it couldn't even be played because the strings were touching the neck/frets. The first only required a simple truss-rod tightening. The second needed to be loosened, put in a HUMID room, the strings changed to mediums (temporarily), tuned up a whole step (to raise the tension), and left to sit for about 2 1/2 months until it was even playable.

After doing days to months of set up work on these guitars, changing the strings to Martin phosphor-bronze light-gauge strings (very nice strings), and being in perfect tune, it sounds like guitar strings strung over a plywood reinforced cereal box.

They require a LOT of setup to play even decently. For the money, and in this price range, I'd recommend buying an Epiphone PR-150 or DR-100. They're only $30 more, require MUCH less set up, are higher quality (from the wood to frets, etc), and sound exponentially better than this guitar will EVER sound.

If you want to stifle and hinder yourself, your child, a loved one, or a friend from learning to play the guitar this is a perfect guitar. If you actually want to learn to play or want a decent guitar do NOT buy this guitar.

Maestro by Gibson Full Size Acoustic Guitar (Black)
Used & New from: $99.39