5.0 out of 5 stars It only took 8 months, but I found it!
Published on July 15, 2010 by michaelb1968

1.0 out of 5 stars Gives worst directions I have ever seen - DO NOT BUY!!!
Published on February 8, 2011 by AmznShopper31

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It only took 8 months, but I found it!, July 15, 2010
michaelb1968 (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 2036 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator (Electronics)
My first GPS (Garmin 255wt) was stolen, so there went $170 and a window. Then I went to Garmin 765, which was ok, but I didn't like what I paid for Bluetooth that didn't work well. Then I went to a Garmin 1250, which was basic, but somewhat slow and worthless. In March I fell for the Motonav, which was awesome, except for the fact that it couldn't recognize a traffic jam on I95 if it was sitting in it for an hour. That went back, then I used the 1250 until I found the TomTom XL 350. TomTom has the best traffic and the smartest routes, but.... yeah, the fun ends there.

So, after 8 months, I decided to try the Magellan 2036. Lifetime traffic and a great price, plus lots of features, so what the heck? Oddly, the first sales guy at BestBuy way back when recommended Magellan to me, but I went Garmin. Lets just say I won't be buying another GPS for awhile.

In a nutshell, I really can't name anything I dislike about this unit, which is amazing, because I am picky. Fast satellite acquisition? CHECK! Great user interface? CHECK! Smart routing? CHECK! Excellent traffic interface? CHECK! It just does everything right. Garmin has a nice UI as well, but the Magellan is just a cut above.

Some highlights:
- The ONE TOUCH screen is awesome. Add favorites, searches, etc., all accessible from hitting one button. This is a simple item that you will use endlessly.
- POI searches are fast and the presentation is gorgeous. Search "coffee" and you not only get Starbucks, Dunkin, etc., but you also get their logos. The logos are great. Makes it easy to see what is what and they are just snazzy.
- AAA searches and reviews are also very nice, but not as expansive.
- The user interface is great. Touchscreen is responsive, keyboard is nice, everything flows.
- Scrolling the map and changing views couldn't be easier.
- Magellan 3D view is superior to all others.
- Map scrolls and zooms are super fast. Movement is always smooth.
- Plenty of options and they easy to find and set.
- The mount is easily the best of the bunch!!

Negatives:
- POI searches are static, while Garmin and Motorola update as you drive. Minor niggle.
- Can't change the triangle to a car or the voice to something sexy and British.
- NAVTEQ traffic instead of Clear Channel, but the NAVTEQ on Magellan somehow crushes Garmin. I can't explain it.

I got this on sale for $129. It was a steal and I'd recommend it to anybody.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gives worst directions I have ever seen - DO NOT BUY!!!, February 8, 2011
I had read some pretty critical reviews of this & other Magellans, based on the recent switch from Navteq to TeleAtlas as the underlying map database. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/ACGWAQZXYWARO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pdp as an example. I figured, how could that be true, theres no way a company the size of Magellan could screw up the core direction functionality right?? Boy was I wrong. I bought this at Costco, sucked in by the [...] sale price. Now I see why they are basically giving this thing away. I set it to drive me home from the Costco, and it planned the most ridiculous route I have ever seen, overshooting me by a couple miles on the highway and adding 10 minutes to what would be a 15 minute trip. After driving a couple miles, I wised up & just turned around and brought it back to Costco for a refund right away.

The thing is, every Magellan GPS now uses this TeleAtlas mapping, so they all must be screwed up, I will not buy another Magellan ever again. I had called phone support before going to the store, they are aware of the problem but claim that it is based on the TeleAtlas map database not having certain roads in it, and say you should contact them to update. That is simply not true - my roads have been around for decades, I was driving on I-95 for crying out loud. See the posting at gpspassion "Magellan have changed to TeleAtlas" for a fuller discussion of this issue - the problem is definitely how Magellan GPS now process the map info (ie their directions algorithm). As someone points out, TomTom uses the same Teleatlas maps very successfully.

Hard to believe this could occur. Avoid this product at all costs (and all Magellan GPS, as far as I can tell). As the amazon reviewer I linked to above points out, it seems Magellan tries to bury bad reviews by flooding each Amazon page with fake positive reviews after noticing a bad review. If that is true, that is pretty poor corporate ethics. We'll see what happens with this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comparison to the older 3200T, January 2, 2011
It is worth the money ($80) but it is not as good as my old Magellan 1200T ($200 5 years ago).
Both of these units were as inexpensive as I could get at the time. (Magellan, Garmin, Tom-Tom)
Do all the current Magellan products use the same basic software? (I would like to know)

Here is my view of GPS's: They will get you unlost. That's it, no more. I don't expect more. Everyone's technology sucks in one way or another, so, basic function is all I expect.

1. Does it tell me where I am? yes
2. Will it tell me where to go? yes, up until the very last detail
3. Do the menus work well? yes
4. Does the display work well? yes

CON: Addresses are on the wrong side of the streets and in the wrong places! Wow!
CON: Doesn't tell you it is recalculating a route because you missed a turn.
CON: Doesn't display distance to next turn, which is super handy for me.
CON: The display direction changing is very smooth because it is displaying the future not the present.
CON: Touch Screen buttons are small, harder to touch correctly while driving. (feel free to comment on this ;-)
CON: Touch Screen sensitivity is not as good as the older GPS I have.

PRO: Routes better than my old unit.
PRO: Shows more roads, even roads that no longer exist.
PRO: Route calculation is fast.
PRO: Time of arrival is displayed.
PRO: The display is nice!
PRO: The mount is compact, easier to stow.

I was not able to test the Traffic Alert thing, I don't live in a town big enough to have traffic, but when I head to the city I will be sure to try it and report back here.

Magellan's links to software upgrades, map upgrades and stuff don't work. But this isn't new with Magellan, they never worked since the day I bought my first GPS from Magellan 15 years ago or my second one 5 years ago. So, I never expected to be able to upgrade my GPS, you get what you get. Buy a Tom-Tom if you don't like it.

Why do I keep buying these Magellans instead of a Garmin or a Tom-Tom?
Like I said, I expect basic function, tell me where I am, get me unlost.
Tom-Toms are an annual subscription of $50. The Garmin choices I saw didn't have as nice a menu flow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent GPS, December 25, 2010
Bought this GPS Unit @ costco for 89.99 in Nov 2010. Have been using this unit for over a month & like this product over the GARMIN 1490T that I have bought and used for a month. The best part is this unit comes with all the accessories including the window mount while the Garmin even though it had the window mount, the unit would never stay on.. (so Had to buy an additional mount -- friction mount)
It is very quick in acquiring the satellite's and getting a fix on your location. The best part is the traffic feature on this unit, it is accurate .. (Have used it when driving from suburbs to Chicago).. unlike the GARMIN where ads keep popping up every so often.. and you will hear a ding sound when you are near to your turn. The re-routing is excellent on this unit. Best ROI on this unit. Definitely recommend this unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible product, December 28, 2010
I have an older Magellan that doesn't say the street names, so I thought I'd upgrade. I read some reviews on Magellans and carefully chose this model. First of all, the power cord does not fit into the unit while it is in its suction cup holder. It's supposed to fit into it - it has a slot in that holder to accommodate the power cord - but the plug doesn't fit through the slot all the way and it will not stay attached to the unit. It's really very hard to believe, which is why I checked it over and over again to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. Looked in the directions, fiddled with it to no end. Nope, doesn't fit. How this flaw could have gotten past them is beyond me. I jimmy-rigged a way for the plug to stay in there, even though the unit wasn't sitting correctly in the window-holder. I just didn't feel like sending it back because I'm too lazy, and besides that problem I kinda' liked it. When it gave me bad directions a couple of time, I rationalized that sometimes GPS units do that, so no big deal (even though one time it was about 4 miles off). Finally, it got stuck on a location when I was out of town ...just stuck. I called the company I bought it from and had a couple of days before my 30-day warranty was up, so they gave me an RMA number and I sent it back for a refund. It can't be said that I could have gotten a lemon because that power cord issue is completely unacceptable, and that had to have been a characteristic flaw with this unit. In the meantime, I will go back to my old GPS, which is a Magellan 1200 (cheapie), and if I ever want to upgrade again, I'll choose another brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Magellan used to make a good GPS. Not any more., February 12, 2011
Just Al (FORT COLLINS, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This particular model gives you NO indication that it is actually charging, and as it turns out, it only was charging about 1 out of 3 times I plugged it in. But it sure is fun to have your GPS unit die on you, 10 minutes into your trip! Oh, and you can't just pull over and plug it into a car accessory adapter either. When the battery is completely dead, it needs about 10 minutes of charging before you can even turn it back on! (Is it charging?) Battery life, when it does charge, is dismal. 1 3/4 hours isn't even a round trip in LA traffic, and traffic alerts were OFF!

Good luck with customer service. They tell you to plug it into the car's accessory adapter. Yea, that might work if the thing was getting power, which it wasn't. Oh, and good luck if your rental car has a non-functional accessory adapter. Want a return authorization number? You'll have to go through several rounds of inane questions like: Did you charge it before you used it? And: What was the last thing YOU did to it before it stopped working? Copy your name, serial number and model number into a text file on your desktop so that you can copy/paste it easily -- they're going to ask you for it over and over and over. I've seen that tactic before. Harass you until you go away, or until you've sent it back in 3 or 4 times... Save yourself the head-ache. Just buy someone else's GPS. (Like, from anyone else).

Had a Magellan for years and loved it. But they don't make them like they used to. If you buy this unit, be sure to take a map.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frozen piece of junk, June 6, 2011
It's frozen. Yup, had it for less than 6 weeks before it froze. I pulled out of Target's parking lo and once I got on the road it still thought I was there. Three days later after driving around town (and even back to the fechin' parking lot) it still thinks I'm there. Don't know why I didn't learn my lesson from my first Magellan. They all suck. The old ones were good. New one's completely suck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Run away!, January 13, 2012
I bought this GPS 7days ago and other than using it in my house, I didn't have it for long and I had to return it to Magellan. It would constantly freeze and reboot at various Points of Interests. This after spending 45 minutes updating the software; which froze at the 35 minute point during download. I had to cancel the download and continue it again. I made several calls to their support line. Count on a 30 minute wait for a human every time with horrible on hold loop music. After trouble shooting with the guy, it was decided that it was defective and they would replace it. I won't go into all the fumbling mistakes that the reps made, but lets just say I ultimately had to make 2 other phone calls to get the issues resolved. Then they gave me a Fedex label process that requires a visit to a Fedex mailing location. But, in my town, they didn't offer this service, and the nearest other place was an hour away. I decided to pay myself at a post office and return it and hope Magellan would pay for the postage. But, no surprise, they refused. I look forward to returning the Best Buy Xmas present to the store as soon as they replace it. I wish I just returned it in the first place. What a crappy company. Look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died in 9 months, December 18, 2011
Julie "tropofcap" (NOVATO, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I generally did prefer this GPS over my Garmin, it had clearer directions, nicer features. The first thing to go was the power cord after 6 months. It is now completely dead. I can't return it now, even though it is under a year old...very unhappy.
Try another brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars The most frustrating GPS unit I ever encountered, December 10, 2010
Having owned both a Tom Tom and a Garmin, I decided to get acquainted with Magellan. I wish I did not.

PRO: Visually, their graphic interface is the winner. Costco's price of $89.99 is also attractive.

CON: Everything else. The web addresses they provide in the manual do not work, not a single one. Links on their website are broken. The One Free Map Update is unavailable. Content Manager - their native application meant to update the device - cannot find the device (which I attached following the instructions to the tiniest comma, and I am "computer guy"). Their support is... What do you call the opposite of 'friendly'? 'Enemy-y'? This. At least I understand the price now.

Anyone with a pinch of self-respect should buy either a Garmin or a Tom Tom.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›