First, I have to mention that there is a newer larger touch-screen Garmin model for about the same price, (Magellan RoadMate 1700 7-Inch Portable GPS Navigator), with basically all the same features. That being said, most of my comments apply to both units, so here are my observations:

My bottom line is: Magellan is better for everyday use; Garmin is better for...
Published on July 21, 2011 by Mad Max

2.0 out of 5 stars This Unit Has Issues
Published on October 18, 2010 by Anna Hope

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin vs. Magellan - Usefulness depends on your specific needs & travel habits, July 21, 2011
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 3065 4.7-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

My bottom line is: Magellan is better for everyday use; Garmin is better for travel & exploration.

I compared these two Magellan models to Garmin. Some people are diehard fans one way or the other. I believe it's up to your personal needs.
Garmin models sometimes get spotty signals & bluetooth problems, so Magellan is better there. However, Garmin has many more programs & plug-ins to make the device useful to your specific needs.

I basically don't need a GPS for everyday use - I just use google maps . When traveling, what I need to know is when I'm in a national park, national forest, or BLM managed preservation; where are the best places for backcountry skiing, backpacking & hiking trails; where are the rivers & lakes; etc.

So I was really intrigued by the AAA Tourbook function on the Magellan, but it was not useful for me. It is probably designed for a more conventional traveler (where's the nearest McDonalds, Motel 6, etc). In terms of parks or campgrounds, it just tells you where they are - it doesn't tell me whether I'm going to a primitive camp site by a lake (where I can watch wildlife with my family), or an RV park with generators running 24/7.

The Garmin, however, has more 3rd party updates & software options for when touring the undiscovered country. National Geographic even makes a program you can load onto your Garmin for hiking, biking trails, waterfall trails, etc. The Magellan is better for street navigation - getting you to Aunt Jenny's house or the hardware store without getting lost.

That said, the Magellan is not for me, but it was a nice unit. Directions are clear & accurate, it talks to you, and it has a feature for walking or biking. The talking feature is great in a lot of ways - it will call out the names of the streets so you can keep your eyes on the road. The bluetooth feature is super-cool - make phone calls through your device.

My final note: For me, Amazon is not just a place to buy stuff - it's a community where we help each other out with comments, discussions, and reviews. I check Amazon reviews & ask questions here before I make most purchases, and have made many friends here. If you find my comments helpful, please vote accordingly (or leave a question or comment & I'll try to get back with you)!

4.0 out of 5 stars Spoken Directions Good; Died In Heat, July 14, 2010
I bought this product at a big box store, on sale at the same price. I mounted it on one of those beanbag dash mounts; worked fine. The directions are clear; super-accurate. It updates when I deviate from course almost immediately, except once when my local knowledge flummoxed it for about 15 seconds.

The screen would be easy to see (less the sunglare) if it weren't just too close for my driving glasses and just too far for me to peer over them. That's my personal problem. Maybe I need bifocals. The spoken directions are clear and well-timed, so a detailed look at the screen isn't really necessary.

The traffic wake-up is virtually useless; it has to be connected in the car to work, and I am not leaving the unit in the car overnight, and certainly not in the garage at work, having already lost a stereo. Plus my car needs the key in the Accessories position to power the cigarette lighter, and I suspect that would not be a good idea. I haven't encountered any traffic to test it on the road, yet (which I guess is a good thing).

I had it about a week when it died: in the car, on the floor (the advantage of the beanbag mount) while I was in a store for about an hour. It would not turn back on. The Magellan support was excellent: I called, got an RMA number, shipped it, and expect a new unit (not a refurb) back in a few days (7-10 after shipping). I'll be a little more careful about heat, though you would expect that a device designed to sit exposed to the sky...

Assuming the replacement keeps its cool, I would recommend this, or one of the similar models.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall vey good GPS, August 9, 2010
To the reviewer who said there is a problem with the charger with the mount:
The usb charger end has to be "Slid" into the mount first, then you can put the GPS unit on the cradle. You cannot just plug it in the back of the gps unit with the mount on. It wont fit.

I have had tomtom 340s and Garmin 1250t units. This is very comparible to the tomtom and garmin gps units.
The screen is much nicer than the tomtom and the mapping is better than the garmin. (at least the overall software look and feel)

Overall the 3065 is a very good unit

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy to use GPS that can lack in features and speed, October 21, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The GPS is thin, light weight, and very portable. It can seem cheaply made because of the weight, but the assembly quality is really pretty decent. The touch screen is sensitive, and the resolution acceptable.

After using GPSs running softwares from iGo, Navigon, Garmin, Papago, Tomtom, and some other lesser names, I have become a bit picky. Magellan appears to make this GPS easy to use, with few menu options and depth. However, for the little offered in options, it's surprising how well most crucial features are covered. In other words, the most important things are included with the design while other features are left out but not carelessly. The interface design is also very touch friendly with large buttons, possible only by carefully reducing screen clutter. This is extremely helpful as it reduces confusing operations while driving which also means better safety.

An example of that is the zoom button. In many softwares I have used the zoom button isn't prominently displayed, where you have to dig them out by touching the screen or even in menus. Magellan displays two large sized buttons that you can operate even when auto zoom is on. I can't emphasize how useful that is. The one touch feature is a list of shortcuts, which is a page of customizable shortcuts with large icons. That'll save you a few taps (and valuable seconds) down the main menu looking for favorites or address book.

For routing it has most freeway, least freeway, fastest and shortest options, not exactly the most comprehensive but also less confusing (in some other softwares you get "scenic" and "optimized" whose purpose and dependability can be unclear). A useful routing feature is that it displays alternate routing results on the map, so you can see the results of routing calculations and select based on color coded lines. While it isn't the first to do this, it is incredibly useful and well implemented, particularly areas around cities where multiple routes to the same destination is available. Sometimes it's better for humans to pick out the best routes just based on experience.

That said, working around the GPS routing is a chore, since there's no way to adjust the display details on the map. Also probably due to a fairly slow processor, there isn't a lot of detail shown in all but the smallest zoom levels; in other words, you can't see the minor roads unless you zoom in pretty closely. That can be a problem when you are trying to find detours yourself or just want to know your options. I wish there's more options on the main map display, not only with POI display but the details available.

Traffic report works only when the power cable is connected, since it'll require the wire as a FM antenna to receive the information. I've tried to make this feature useful a few times, but it seems to warn about congestion but never directed me away from it. Sometimes the information seems outdated, and I was lead straight into a jammed highway from a perfectly flowing alternative. I have come to not depend on it and found it not very reliable. However, I'm still testing it and maybe it'll be redeemed in the future.

There's a line of ad text popping on the screen when you have the FM antenna(the power cable) connected. I guess it's a small price to pay for free traffic updates and supposedly lifetime free map updates which is very important. The ad is small and not too intrusive. However, it'd be even better if the small piece of my screen realestate is exchanged with traffic information that actually worked in getting me out of congestions. Right now it seems to work better at feeding me ads than directing me away from jams.

Being simple in menu means lack of features and customizability. For example, the main screen wouldn't display your current speed and other navigational information (time, trip, remaining, etc) until you tap on the icon. It shows up briefly and then disappears, and you can't change the layout preferences of the slightly spartan main screen. Changing routing method (if the routing somehow get you into some roads you don't want, or you want to go local instead of the highway due to local conditions, etc) on the fly is also a bit convoluted. You will have to re-select the route, click the "play" (or go) button, and then reselect from the routing preference menu.

By assuming what users need the most, you are also forced to play by their pre-determined priorities. It would be fine except GPS routing is almost NEVER foolproof or requires no supervision. If you wouldn't mind at all however you get from point A to point B, this GPS is very good. However if you would like to tinker your routes and correct GPS routing "mistakes" on the fly or plan complicated routes, this may not be the easiest interface to play with, even if it supports via points.

Being a Windows CE based software, it suffers from the common symptoms. While navigating, the interface can be slow at times. However all the button taps somehow still registers with perfect accuracy. That sounds good except it isn't. When the screen isn't moving, you can end up tapping a few times without any response. After the screen unfreezes from whatever task it was working on, the registered taps in memory would have you click on buttons you didn't intend on the subsequent screens. It can get annoying, and with the competition in the price range it should really be much faster and more responsive (by using a faster CPU?).

Routing isn't too slow, but on longer trips it can take a while. The routing also seems to pick easier roads with fewer turns in general rather than the most economical. It makes for easy driving, but not necessarily the shortest time or distance. It's fine if you value simplicity over everything else, which seems to be a theme on this GPS.

Point of interest isn't the most comprehensive I've seen. There are often places that I cannot find which I can on other softwares. The AAA guide is useful but it's handpicked and is an even shorter list than the Magellan POI list. The POI database is really important to me, as it's like a phonebook in your car. This unit's POI list is on the average size, and while not bad, it can be more. One nice thing is that the entire US and Canada is preloaded on the unit, which is consistent with the simplicity theme.

There's a micro SD slot, but I found no way that I could use it. There is no media player or any option of the sort. Bluetooth worked fine and consistently with my Sony Ericsson phone, and I haven't tested it with others. It'll connect as soon as the phone is in range, and the dialing features works as well as the speakerphone. That's an added convenience much appreciated.

A very good GPS for the less demanding user, and very serviceable. Yet if you are looking for advanced features or customizability, this one doesn't have a lot to offer. It's tried to make things simple, and it works well at that. For most people, isn't that what a GPS unit is expected to do?

As I am still using this, I'll update the review as I find out more.

2.0 out of 5 stars This Unit Has Issues, October 18, 2010
Anna Hope (PA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a former Magellan user who switched to Navigon but was tempted back by this Unit due to the lifetime Traffic and traffic wakeup. This Unit has been an unnecessary headache. It didn't start out that way though. When I first received it I would have given it 4 stars. But after a firmware update a month ago the quality has gone down rapidly. And an email to Magellan's customer support has yet to be replied to although it's been several days.

Now the unit occasionally fails to switch to night mode after dark automatically. The other evening we got in the car in Johnstown and the unit reset itself, then when powered back on instead of giving vital turn information it sat at the calculating phase with a static map, half an hour later when we were in a town thirty some miles away it still said we were located in Johnstown. That's not the most useful.

The Fastest Route option is inaccurate to say the least. During my morning commute the gps fails (post firmware update) to pick up traffic data - this is critical with a 86 mile commute 3 days a week. While on route experience has taught me the route to use, during the initial period I tried some of the routes provided by the GPS unit and found them shorter but not quicker. Once the GPS unit reroutes to the route I am using the ETA drops by minutes, bottom line the quickest route does not work. This option also has a tendency to want to take me through residential neighborhoods (even with the use highways option enabled) instead of highway routes, which might be slightly faster if there were no traffic lights or school buses. Magellan needs to do some serious adjustments to its algorithms.

We will persevere in hopes that Magellan can update its firmware and
I will update the review accordingly, currently though it is hard to recommend the unit in this state.

I cannot attest to the bluetooth function as my vehicle has bluetooth functionality built in but at this stage the basic GPS function is substandard so the peripheral features are moot.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good GPS, July 14, 2010
After tried two new Garmin GPS, I switched to Magellan. The complaints I had for the two Garmin models are frequent drop of sattelite signals and unreliable bluetooth connection to cell phone. Magellan 3065 seems better in these two areas so far. In addition, I like the GPS speaking names of streets when announcing turns or giving directions, although the speech sometimes is not so clear. And another thing I like is the AAA tour book in it. It gives the details of campgrounds in our state.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Competent at the Essentials, Some Non-Essential & External Factors, September 16, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Overall, this is a very competent GPS navigator that is excellent in some aspects that really count. These outweigh some issues in non-essential areas or external factors. Firstly, the spoken street names are perfect, well articulated, and blows away my TomTom XXL 540 speach. Search results for destinations are very pleasant on the eyes and noticeably nicer than my TomTom XXL. Where it counts most, picking a destination and navigating there, it really works well especially if you like to navigate more by spoken directions than by having to follow the screen. Spoken names well articulated are very important if you are not always mounting it in a very visible location that you can easily see (safely) (like with a good vent mount).

The touch screen works very well, but isn't quite as bright as some others even when plugged into power so is a bit harder to see (compared to my 5" TomTom XXL). I got rather used to muting my TomTom after mounting it in a very convenient location on my vent and have been navigating by an aeasy to see visual display. This 4.7" is slightly smaller and reasonably harder to follow only visually unlike my 5" TomTom, but is compensated by great spoken directions if you don't mind the interruption. Roads and hihglighted route are displayed as more narrow and less contrasting color than my TomTom XXL which makes it harder to see what is coming up and turns. The text font size for streets is a bit small and due to narrower roads there is less clear street for contrast to read the text. The next turn road name at the top doesn't have enough contrast compared to its backdrop for me to easily read while driving compared to my TomTom XXL which uses sharper contrast which doesn't look as pretty but is a lot easier to see at a glance. There are no options to configure map color scheme (unlike TomTom) such as to get a scheme or contrast of your liking.

Watch out when using polarized sun glasses. I cannot see the Magellan screen wearing my polarized sun glasses unless I turn my head or glasses sideways. My Tom Tom is just the opposite. I can see it best with my polarized sun glasses in normal position and cannot see it well if turned side ways. Something about the LCD and how polarized glass works seems to matter how the LCD is constructed. I really can't see the screen too well, but I don't know whether my sunglasses & TomTom got it wrong or Magellan. Non-polarized sunglasses have no issues. I can't count this external factor against the Magellan, but is interesting.

There is no current time or time to destination, just destination time. So you can't tell what it thinks current time is compared to your expectation. Supposedly it is set by satellite and is hopefully very accurate. You have to compare to a clock on your radio or watch to get an idea of how much time left. Lane assist is decent, but text is a bit too small to read. Traffic by RDS (radio signal) didn't work at all for me yet even in a very large city and leaves a no traffic data icon on the screen whenever the car charger with the traffic receiver is connected to it.

There is no user or community POI (point of interest) or map corrections, unlike TomTom, so if you know a business is potted in the wrong location (due to map data received by Magellan), you can't just fix it yourself and share, which is a nice feature on TomTom. This version doesn't have lifetime maps. Remember that POI outdates faster and is part of map data that you don't think about. You can always enter addresses manually. But when travelling, if a restraunt closes, moves, or opens, your search data is older.

There is no charging indicator light on the case other than the battery life icon on screen if you turn it on to see if it is charging. It would have been nice to have confirmation, but is certainly not really important if you just trust it charges or you check the screen if turned on. The software says to make sure fully charged before updating, but the only way to charge is by USB cable or car adapter provided, and you cannot check battery life when it asks you because the screen just says connectect to computer if by USB cable. On first update, it did a major update from version 1.40 to 3.11. The car power adapter connects perpendicular to the device, probably for better fitting with mounts and adds stability to mounts made to fit it, but also means you cannot easily just set it on the seat or somewhere while connected without hanging it off the edge.

The newer magellans have changed to a single-slot mount design which isn't compatible with most existing generic GPS mounts that have a 2-slit adapter for previous magellans. You can use a single-slit Mio adapter which works okay but lacks shakes more. The real single-slot magellan mounts rely on the power adapter for stability and ties into the mount.

It is not as configurable as TomTom, like limited sound effects, speach frequency, color schemes, voices, etc. Having too many options can be overwhelming and confusing so simplicity here makes it easier, but less configurable. If I didn't have my TomTom XXL, I probably wouldn't even know the difference and would think this is great. Too bad we have to pick between excellent spoken directions versus excellent visual display. Although, if I only had this one, I think I would be happy with the Magellan. I would certainly recommend it as a very competent GPS.

5.0 out of 5 stars magellan 3065, September 3, 2010
Alex M "AM" (Los Angeles, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Can't complain, this is my first gps and the unit is pretty solid. Got it as a gift back in June when there were no reviews due to its release in May and so far its been great.

No mounting issues with the charger to the unit using the cradle... a little common sense would show one that the connector first slides into the mount to keep it in place so you can slide the unit right onto the cradle and not have to worry about the cable falling off every time you remove the unit from its cradle. That simple.

Map recalculating is pretty fast, driving all over LA knowing my own short cuts, it keeps up instantaneously. The traffic alert is great and one of the main reasons I wanted this unit, in LA I find this a huge plus, so one knows when to avoid a jam and it updates fairly fast since I'm in a big city. Only used the traffic wake up feature once, and it does its job, just not what I need, since I don't have a routine route.

Bluetooth would be my only gripe at the moment. When it connects with my phone, its great, but I tend to find myself having to kill the units power and restart it to reconnect at times. Not a huge problem, and it will probably be addressed in the next update. Call quality is clear on both sides and loud if you tune it. There is about a 10 second delay when you make or take a call, but its all getting use to it.

I would definitely recommend a DC to AC wall plug, so you can mess around with the unit at home or give it a good charge if you intend to walk around with it...

It also has a pedestrian mode, not the best, and not highlighted much as a feature, but it works, and it also stored the location of my car while going into pedestrian mode. However once I powered it off and turned it back on I was on my own... A cool feature, just needs to save it.

Everything else is great, AAA tour books has helped me find attractions on the go, and its nice to know where to get member discounts.

Again solid unit and at the right price worth the buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Super slow!, November 19, 2010
G. Preda (Aliso Viejo, California) - See all my reviews
Magellan RoadMate 3065 Based on Windows CE with slow processor an probably not enough memory. It laggs all the time and it's frustrating. Sometimes you type in letters or clcik on buttons and it takes 10 seconds to acknowledge it. Couldn't use the phone bluetooth connection because it's just to slow for it. Takes forever to pair and when you make a call there is a delay from when you press a number (1 for English or whatever) and till it actually sends it. You hang up and your conversation is still on for another 10 seconds and stuff! Upgraded the firmware and hoped it would work better but I should have returned it when I could. I can't believe they can make such a crappy product and get away with it! Finaly I had problems with my power cable, it won't stay connected, I called them and they will replace it, good cust service, I guess they get a lot of calls and perfected that part! They will replace it with a new one and they said it woan't have slowness problems, hope it's true, I'll keep it till it dies and never buy Magellan again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall Nice Bluetooth GPS Unit, September 16, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Megellan RoadMate 3065 is a nice GPS system that offers bluetooth and the other standard features you find pretty much on any GPS unit, but it does come with a few new ones that I was eager to test out.

GPS Unit:
- Large display. Easy to see at a glance.
- Tells you way in advance of turns so you can be in the correct lane. Perfect for situations where you are unfamiliar with the area you are driving in.
- Easy to input addresses.
- Point of Interest locations are basically the same as other GPS units. Very good.
- Recalculates very rapidly.
- Does not recognize a street that changes names and the original street goes off to the right or left. You end up going on the wrong road and it has to recalculate.

Bluetooth:
- Pairs just like any other, but I did find it took longer to pair than any other Bluetooth I have used over the years. Said it could take up to 5 minutes and it did take over 4 minutes.
- Loved it when it asked if I wanted to download my contacts to the GPS unit. I could choose all, some or none of my contacts. Great feature.
- Sound is perfect on both sides. Talking and listening. Totally clear connection.

Traffic Alerts and Wake-up:
- Having to have the "Lifetime Traffic" feature on for 20 minutes before it will begin working is crazy. It should come up automatically.
- In order for the Traffic feature to work, you have to have the GPS plugged into the car all the time. I thought that was a little strange.
- I have yet to find any traffic problems while driving so in the future I will see how well this feature works.

Satellite Signal Strength:
- Strength is good. Time to acquire the satellite signal is slow. I even stood by my car with it pointing straight up. Not the fastest connection on the market.

AAA Tour Book:
- This is a nice feature. You don't even have to be a AAA member to enjoy it. Easily find recommended hotels and restaurants and other points of interest.

Mounting Unit:
- Don't know why but the mounting unit will attach just fine to my windshield, but when I attach it with the unit in place it tends to fall off. Don't know if the unit is too heavy or if it is just my windshield.
- The mount is really stiff and hard to move positions.
- I'm going to try the friction dash mount bag. Plus I really don't like things hanging from my windshield.

Charging:
- Does not come with an AC charger. Should come standard, but most GPS units do not offer it anymore.
- The USB connector is for data transfer only. Would be nice if it could charge the unit too.

Bottom Line: I really like this GPS unit even with the flaws that it has. Have not found any Bluetooth GPS unit that is perfect in all ways yet.

Rate and Discover Movies