5.0 out of 5 stars Before you get on the Garmin bandwagon......
If you have been a longtime Magellan user you may want to consider a few things before getting on the Garmin bandwagon. I want to make it very clear that this isn't going to be a review to bash the Garmin 1450LMT, the particular unit I bought and returned, but more of comparison. Let's start off by getting what Magellan users have known from the very beginning about...
Published on April 7, 2011 by JG

1.0 out of 5 stars Swing and a miss
I had really high hopes for this GPS. I shopped for quite awhile and owned a Garmin that was due to be updated but decided to replace the unit rather than pay to upgrade. After reading a lot of reviews of the Garmins with quality control issues I opted to give Magellan a try. I have owned the unit around 2 months. I took a trip from Indianapolis to Santa Fe, NM and...
Published on October 27, 2010 by Greg Scott

‹ Previous | 1 2 370 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS, September 27, 2010
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 5045-LM 5-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps and Traffic (Electronics)
I've had this now for a few months, and so far no problems. Did a map update and firmware all went great. Love the Triple AAA ratings and Highway exit features. The 5" screen makes a big difference, plus they added a new mount for there newer models, the power plug is mounted on the window mount, so now you can slide gps on and off with out the hassle of trying to plug in the power adapter. Would and will buy again, makes nice gifts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Roadmate 5045, November 4, 2010
Don't buy Magellan if you have Windows XP and you ever plan on upgrading the maps and software. I have spent over 6 hours trying to install Magellan's content manager. Content manager needs to have .net framework installed first. I had .net V1.1 installed, and Content Manager did not work. I upgraded to .net V4 and it still does not work. Phone support from Magellan was of no help. Magellan suggested I call Microsoft for technical support. I'm not going to spend $50.00 with Microsoft only to be told it isn't their problem. What can I do but send the unit back?

I never had this issue with my Garmin or my TomTom.

1.0 out of 5 stars Aweful Device - go with a Garmin, December 14, 2010
Magellan has failed miserably with this device.

My old gps was Magellan. After 4 or 5 years it started to get flakey so I decided to get another Magellan. What a mistake.

My old device knew exactly where my house was. It always said 'You have arrived' when I pulled into my driveway. I never had a problem finding an address or POI.

This new model thinks my house is .8 miles further down the road. It can't find a Dunkin Donuts anywhere near me. I live in Maine and the closest Dunkin Donuts it finds is in Massachusettes. I do a search on my old GPS and it finds all the dozen or so Dunkin Donuts that are within miles of me.

I contacted their support department via email. They responded that the old device used maps provided by NAVTEQ. The newer devices use Tele-Atlas. They referred me to them so I could notify them of their mapping error. Sorry, not my job.

It's a shame. I would think the maps and PIO's would improve over time, not degrade. When I use my old gps at the same time as this new model, my old one finds more POI's and gets me their more directly.

I returned it and will get a Garmin. I tested several in the store and it found many more POI's then Magellan. I find that one of the most useful features; to be able to find places of interest when I am out of town. I'm not sure why Magellan switched to a lower quality map with very poor POI's.

I won't get a Magellan again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magellin Roadmate 5045, November 21, 2010
I've used "in-car" nav systems for the past 7-years and just replaced my Tom Tom with the Roadmate. It's easier to use, gives better directions and has more features than you will need. If you never intend to contact their Support group, it's a screaming buy. After reading the manual, I logged in and partially completed my profile. When I went back to finish it, I wasn't allowed to log in and as a result couldn't upload the latest maps. I have contacted support twice and still am waiting for a response a month after the purchase. There are no phone numbers for their Roadmate series !

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, September 21, 2010
Kathy Adkison "phkat" (Libby, mt United States) - See all my reviews
I've been waiting for years to finally buy a GPS for my vehicle. My son and daughter-in-law have had one for about 4 years, and from time to time I would borrow it to make trips with. I loved theirs. It's a Magellan Roadmate. (not sure the model number)
When the 5045 came on the Gold Box deal a little while back, I made the leap and bought it.
I'm disappointed because it's not nearly as intuitive as the older one. When you defy the route it absolutely refused to reroute, and just continually tells you to make a u-turn or whatever. The only way I can find to reroute is to cancel the trip and start over from wherever I am at that point. Very annoying.
The instruction booklet is worthless. It also has a mumbled speech. It's difficult to make out what it's saying. There are other disappointing annoyances with it but I'll just sum it up with "I'm pretty sorry I didn't just buy one of the older models identical to what my son has". At least its user friendly.
The only reason I didn't was because I wanted the most up to date maps. Not that they've helped me. Several addresses just don't even exist for this new model and they are residences that have been around for 50 years, not just newly built homes.
On a number of trips to places that I already know where I'm going and am very familiar with, this thing wants to take me all sorts of weird directions. Sometimes even in the opposite direction of the town I'm heading to. NOT happy with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unit - excellent; Software - horrible, November 10, 2010
K. Guttenberg (Bayarea, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The magellan 5045 is a nicely built unit with a lot of great features. However, the software which provides new maps called "Content Manager" is the worst piece of mainstream consumer software I've had the displeasure to encounter in years. It is horrible. And the Magellan customer support was friendly enough, but useless (I was told to wait for the next update which might fix my problems). Our other unit is a TomTom and their software tool is well designed and seems to like Windows Vista just fine.

In the end, does Lifetime Map downloads help me much if Content Manager (map download tool) doesn't work?

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets the important stuff right, October 7, 2010
Michael Lee (Kirkland, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I've been a Garmin user for years. I've wanted to upgrade my Garmin for a couple of years, but have been scared off by all the reviews about how all the cool new Garmin features include even more cool new bugs. I was hoping by this year, I'd see Garmin reviews that weren't teeth-gnashing about the bugs. When I didn't, I started looking elsewhere.

After looking at a lot of reviews on this site and others, I zeroed in on this Magellan in my price range and feature requirements sweet spot.

I've had it for about a week now. I bought one yesterday for my wife to replace her vintage Garmin, based just on the safety considerations: having to screw around a lot with your GPS is dangerous like playing with a balky radio or phone. Maybe the new Garmins are just as good. Anyhow, if it's been 3+ years since you've updated your GPS, new features make a difference in how safe you drive.

Bad stuff:

* In direct sunlight the screen isn't bright enough. I don't think it's as bad as some say, but I live in Seattle.
* There are all kinds of bells and whistles missing. Garmin lets you pick what your car looks like. You're a blue triangle on the Magellen. No bluetooth, no voice recognition, crappy speaker that distorts at max volume... If you actually listen to audiobooks on your GPS or yell at it and expect it to obey, you're not going to like this GPS. If it's important to you to choose between Sexy Australian and Prim British female voices, this isn't the GPS for you.
* The beanbag mounts aren't as sophisticated and available. Couldn't use my Garmin mount, and the Magellan ones I've seen are $30-$40 for any kind of quality.
* Advertisements. If you want to use the lifetime traffic, you have to take the ads. They aren't that annoying--a single line near top of the screen. If you want to get rid of them, you can't use the Magellen car cord. Instead, use any mini-USB car cord, and they're gone. As is traffic information. Traffic antenna is in the Magellan cord. If you lose that cord, bye bye traffic. The current ads repeat every 5 minutes, which is truly stupid, but they're working on making them more relevant. Magellan guys: Nothing will make me eat at Olive Garden. Unless there's a nuclear holocaust and I have to take refuge in one. If Magellan actually works out the ads thing to make it as relevant as they say they're going to make it, this could actually be a nice feature intead of a minor annoyance.

Good stuff:

* Freeway lane guidance. Clear and awesome. Shows you highway signs with acceptable lanes for next change in white the other lanes in grey.
* Turn guidance. Very good bong bong warning about 5 sec before in case you've spaced out. Upper left corner of the screen next turn direction icon always present. Nice verbal guidance about next turn after upcoming turn. Garmin was horrible on this score.
* Quick satellite acquisition. Typically, it takes seconds. I've even had it work indoors. I understand Garmin is much better about this now, but with our old Garmins, it's always taken several minutes.
* Onetouch -- basically, Favorites. works for categories, not just particular addresses.
* Categories -- shopping, fast food, community, etc. Just fine. Find along my route is a very nice needed touch. Doesn't show compass directions for everything, which my Garmin did, but find along route is smarter.
* Reroute when you ignore the chosen route: No snotty "Recalculating!" voice scold, it just reroutes and does it pretty quick too.
* Traffic works fine so far. Shows how many minutes extra you should expect to spend because of slowdowns if you keep on your current route. Offers alternatives. Keep in mind, I live in a major city. Remember, you have to take ads if you take traffic and if you use the supplied car cord, you will get ads regardless of getting traffic. Get your own mini-USB car cord if the ads really annoy you.
* Features most used are easily found. If you're a geek, read the manual. Whoever did the UI design on this did a nice job, but there are quite a few nice things lurking under the surface.

to sum it up...

Magellan has done a very nice job on the essentials and completely ignored the frills. If you're about essentials not frills, you might want to check this one out. At $170 including lifetime maps and traffic, I bit. Yummy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great features, strange routing!, November 28, 2010
I just tried out my Magellan 5045-LM for the first time and it was weird to say the least. The screen looks awesome, the interface is very nice and it would track you almost in real time as you move down the road (a nice improvement over my old Maestro which would jump from one place to the other instead of a nice continuous motion); BUT I found very annoying the fact that I took a route that I know VERY well, and which is the most direct route to the place I was going to, and this GPS kept telling me like every 3 seconds (ANNOYING!) that I had to do a U-Turn to go back to take the route it was suggesting which was like super long. I kept going and instead of adjusting like my Maestro would do in a heartbeat, it kept telling me to turn at every road I found on my way there. It was its way or no way! My Maestro would recognize the route easily and keep going with NO complaints or issues, this one would NOT do that. If I didn't know the route, I sure was in for a roller coaster ride with this GPS; which makes me very uncomfortable.

The only reason I decided to buy this GPS was because of its nice FREE Lifetime Maps and Traffic features, which saves a TON of money, but its routing is terrible to say the least. I have read that this might be related to a switch by Magellan from using NAVTEQ maps to TELEATLAS maps, which makes sense because how would My 3+ year old Maestro have a better routing system than my brand new RoadMate? Maybe because my Maestro has NAVTEQ and this one has TELEATLAS. I mean, it will take you to where you are going, but the difference in routing and EASE of use while you are driving somewhere that you don't know makes me think twice about this purchase and, depending on Magellan's answer to my Support Ticket, I might be returning this to Amazon. Hope this helps.

UPDATE (NOV 29, 2010): I tried the GPS out again today after receiving a response from Magellan that brought something to my attention. Normally when you choose the address you want to go to, the GPS will show the nice BIG orange button asking you to GO. If you notice, there it also says Fastest Time, which means that the GPS will guide you to your destination using the route that it considers will make the trip shorter time-wise.

This particular model with TELEATLAS maps will be VERY STUBBORN at having you going the way that YOU actually chose, meaning that if you choose FASTEST TIME it will try to direct you via the fastest route no matter what (and will keep bugging until it gets its wish). If you change this setting to, for example, SHORTEST DISTANCE, then it will take the shortest route for you, even if its the longest route time-wise. I tried this out today, and it actually took me down the route that I normally take (which I referred to in the original review above) which was satisfactory for me; BUT understand that still, the Map System (TeleAtlas) that this GPS have will not adapt as easily (if at all) to you taking your own way, like, for example, my old Maestro would do; it will keep bugging you to change directions and to go the way that it understands that better match your selection regarding how fast or how straight you want to get there.

You will need more time to adjust your settings accordingly BEFORE going on your way in order to have kind of an easier trip and not throw your GPS out the window. If you can live with that...then this might be a good choice for you. So that is the reason I decided to increase my review from 2 stars to 4 stars, because after all, even though it can be annoying at times and requires more effort to get it to operate like you want it to (compared to other models), it will still do what it is supposed to do if you use it correctly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Already broken, December 10, 2010
Ordered for my wife because of the AAA feature. She had a Garvin Nuvi 265T and it was very reliable. We received this unit 12/3 and yesterday the unit was stuck on our home location, never moved and night mode. After searching for support info, very difficult to find it appears the only means of support is email. I emailed the problem and they finally replied back with the standard turn it off and back on...give me a break! Then if that doesn't work reload software...I would if their stupid website would work, it keeps telling me I have no internet connection...really? How the heck did I post this then?
Update: After 4 emails back and forth with tech support now they have finally decided it must be broken. My wife and I have decided to return the unit to Amazon which is a shame because the price was great, the unit is fine if it would work again. If tech support had been supportive we would have considered keeping this unit but this business of sending in emails and waiting up to 2 days for replies is really poor service in my eyes. We have decided to give Garmin our business since we haven't had any problem with the other unit and it was purchased as a refurb last year ( I get the hand me down for my truck) It sucks because we really wanted this to be a great unit because of the AAA feature and the added security, but what security is it when the unit freezes and locks up for no reason.

3.0 out of 5 stars 5045-LM Obsolete Maps: Changed to Tele-Atlas from NAVTEQ, December 2, 2010
I purchased the Magellan Roadmate 5045-LM to replace a Magellan Roadmate 760 and a Magellan Maestro 3250 which have served me well. The new Tele-Atlas maps on the new 5045 were 15-20 years behind on road and street names in my area down in South Texas. I do not know if the maps have been updated in larger metropolitan areas. I checked with tech support and they confirmed that the installed maps in my brand new 5045 were Tele-Atlas and the latest U.S. edition available. My older Maestro 3250 and my really old Roadmate 760 had much newer accurate maps than the 1 week old 5045. I had read about Magellan changing to a new map base but figured that that would be ok since this unit has Lifetime Map updates included. But when the installed maps are 15-20 years old then I figured that the updates would probably not come anytime soon. There were paved roads that I had driven on for over 30 years that were not listed on the 5045 by the correct road number/name. The street names in my subdivision changed 15-20 years ago and the 5045 still has them listed by the old names. Both the really old Magellan 760 and the Magellan 3250 have all my local street names and numbers listed correctly. The older Magellan GPS's have maps furnished by NAVTEQ where now Magellan has started using Tele-Atlas. I did some traveling and ran the Magellan 760 and the 5045 side by side and the 760 was better at routing and listed the road numbers and names accurately. On a 40 minute trip the 760 would beat the 5045 by 12 minutes on routing by following the 760 routing. I can't imagine why Magellan changed map sources for GPS's furnished in the U.S. when what they had worked so well. I did some Google searches on NAVTEQ vs Tele-Atlas maps and determined that Tele-Atlas is more popular in Europe and might be a little cheaper than NAVTEQ. Anyway I sent the 5045 back for a refund and will continue looking for a Magellan that uses NAVTEQ or purchase another brand that uses NAVTEQ. The only problem is that Magellan does not indicate which map source they use in each GPS and did not advertise that they changed map sources. A lot of good Lifetime Maps updates did for this unit. It will probably take a lifetime to update the maps. I did like the ease of use and other features of the 5045. Everything worked exceptionally well except routing, road numbers, and road names (caused by obsolete maps). Magellan Tech support indicated that Tele-Atlas will probably put out an update in 12-18 months. The Magellan tech also indicated that Tele-Atlas was the direction that Magellan was leaning towards. I personally hope Magellan reconsiders that choice. My GPS is used daily to find various locations that I have never been to before so it needs to be accurate and up to date.

‹ Previous | 1 2 370 | Next ›