4.0 out of 5 stars good features, but get the latest firmware!
UPDATE:

Published 21 months ago by Tricia Mcreynolds

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on December 13, 2012 by Paul P.

4.0 out of 5 stars good features, but get the latest firmware!, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 9250T-LMB 7-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps and Traffic Alerts (Electronics)
UPDATE:

If you buy this GPS make sure you have the latest software and maps on it. As many people have mentioned typing in an address is HORRIBLY slow...when typing in the city name sometimes there's a 5 or even 10 second delay until it lets you type the next letter. This is FIXED in the latest firmware. Connect your GPS to your computer and use their Content Manager software to get at least version 2.54. It took this GPS from being super frustrating to being waaayyy better. If on the main screen the volume control button (looks like a speaker) also has a brightness indicator ( a little light bulb icon) then you are updated. If its only a speaker then update it!

-------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I bought this to replace a 6 year old Mio GPS that eventually developed the fatal flaw of crashing once a day or so. I was interested in this GPS because of the lifetime maps, traffic, and bluetooth. I considered Garmin too, since a lot of people love them, but my wife's Garmin's incredibly slow POI search drives me up the wall...sometimes it takes 1 or even 2 minutes to show a nearby fast food place....something my Mio would do instantly. I'd say this GPS is somewhere in between...kinda slow POI search but not enough to be super annoying.

PROS:
The Bluetooth is nice, but for some reason it doesn't always connect with my phone. I have to restart the gps and the phone, then it works.

The traffic feature works pretty well and has been fairly helpful to me since I live in L.A.

It connects to satellites very fast in my area.

The 'One Touch' menu is nice...easily add places you often go to or searches (like 'nearest ATM') and just press it. very cool.

7" screen is huge!

The AAA travelbook is useful on trips. It has retaraunt reviews and descriptions (some menu items, for instance) built right in. The sorta hid it in the interface though, but when you find it you'll like it.

CONS:
As everyone has said, the mount is terrible...its long and very adjustable but that suction cup just isn't powerful enough to keep such a heavy GPS suspended from a windshield indefinitely. After multiple days of it randomly falling off, I eventually attached it to the dashboard instead (its not really meant for this)...that worked for a few weeks at a time but it still kept falling off. Finally I got fed up with it, disassembled the mount and threw all of it away except for the part with the ball that actually attaches to the GPS. Then I used cable ties (zip ties) to secure it to the windshield defrost vent on my dashboard. Obviously it can't rotate up and down anymore, but its rock solid now!

I should point out that my wife's Garmin's mount works fine with this GPS too, so its not an insurmountable problem. However, you will have to find a 'ball socket' type mount that fits into the Magellan mount's base since the power is provided by the mount and the GPS's traffic function does not work unless plugged in. It mentions this in the manual.

When it connects or disconnects from Bluetooth it displays a 'connected to phone' message for 5 seconds, during which time you can't do anything. Minor, but irritating.

The voice navigation is the worst I've seen in a GPS so far. The voice is clear and loud enough, but its annoying that you're stuck with only one voice choice. Worse though....its often inaccurate! For instance, it often says 'Continue 1 mile on main street' when it actually means 'Continue 1 mile UNTIL main street'. I've seen that happen alot with it. A few times I've seen it give turn directions slightly after I passed the street I was supposed to turn on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 13, 2012
For this being the newest model it was a huge disappointment. I ended up returning it. The interface is sluggish and not very intuitive. While i was driving, it started giving me directions for roads that i had passed 10 minutes prior. It was missing roads that i know have been in place for 5 to 7 years. This is in metro Atlanta. The mount that came with it kept falling off the window even with the actual gps resting on the dashboard. There was no weight on the arm. After about an hour it would just become unstuck from the window. I ended up buying a Garmin nuvi 3490. Much better machine. All the roads are there so far. The interface works faster.
I did like the large screen on the magellan but after using the smaller screen garmin with the new friction mount i'm happy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Performs like an unfinished prototype, October 14, 2013
My 8 year old Garmin Nuvi is becoming a bit flaky, so I decided it was time to upgrade. I'm a field technician and rely on my GPS at least 5 times a day, everyday of the week.

I noticed this model at a popular box store and the sale price seemed very good for all the features. I have to admit the huge size put me off and I decided to go home, read the reviews and think it over.
Overall the reviews seemed ok so I went back later that day and bought one.

First off, if you have a gut feeling that this GPS may be too big...go with that feeling! 99% of its use was to be in my service van (Ford E350) with a huge windshield and acres of dash. Even at that, there was no good place to safely mount this GPS. I decided over the rear view mirror near the headliner, but after only 3 hours, the suction cup let go and it fell. Too big for the left corner of the dash where I kept my Nuvi so by midday, it ended up in the center of the dash.
While driving down narrow streets, it partially blocked the view of parked cars which could also mean a disastrous situation if a kid were to dart out from that area.
In my SUV, I could extend the 2 piece mount and bring it below the dash; however, it would now block controls or A/C vents. In my Porsche with a narrow sloping dash, it was more at home and out of the way.
Carefully consider the car you'll be using this in. If you have an open lower dash area, it may work out for you. And keep in mind the frame around the screen adds quite a bit to the overall size...it's bigger than your typical 7" tablet.

Performance:
Volume--This was the main deal breaker and why it went back after 2 days. The voice is a monotone, computer generated female and you can't change it. There are 3 volume controls (master, navigation and bluetooth) and with them all set to maximum, I could not hear the commands at highway speeds with the windows cracked or sunroof open. My 3.5" Garmin at 3/4 volume is at least twice as loud as this Magellan at maximum. At full volume, I can hear my Garmin on my motorcycle while wearing a full face helmet! There should be no excuse for the lousy volume on a GPS so large.

Laggy GUI:
The system lags when entering commands. The huge screen is great for typing in addresses but that's completely ruined when you have to wait for it to respond after each letter press. If you were to quickly type in a street name with 6 character, 2 or 3 will end up missing.

Entering information:
This is mixed. It does a good job at guessing the city with just a few character and it blanks out keys that can't be used.
Downside is that many times it needs complete street names when it comes to N/S/E/W.
On my Garmin, I could type in 500 Washington and if there is a North and South Washington with the same address #, it will ask me which one. The Magellan will act like the street doesn't exist or give you a location miles away with a higher starting address #.
Another example was that I wanted to go to 720 Union Street. That is the mailing address and what the street signs read. The Magellan says that's not a possible address # and gives the closest several miles away. Drag the display over the actual location and the map claims it's North Union. This is the town I grew up in and there is no North and South Union. Now I went back and typed in North Union and it found the address.
Similar instances with numbered streets. You would think typing in 3 for 3rd street would work but it gives suggestions of 33, 32 etc. I had to type in 3RD for it to work.
Oddly it handles rural County Roads great. For 300 South, I can type in 300 and it accurately guesses North or South for the city or gives a choice if the city has both.

Routing seemed to be very good. I had it set to fastest route and overall it took the best roads. There is plenty of warning before turns and it's not overly chatty. One of the coolest features is the voice will mention a landmark to turn at. For instance, "In 2/3s of a mile turn right on Wisconsin Street at the Citgo gas station."
Ending points were 100% spot on.
ETA was off quite a bit. It would estimate a 20 minute trip at 30 minutes.
A recalculation after missing a street is slow. In the city, by the time it recalculates, you're well past that street.

Features:
POI was instant and very up to date...this blows my Garmin away.
Speed limit warning was very accurate and configurable.
Traffic Alerts worked very well and I had a signal everywhere I went.
AAA would be very useful while out of town.
Phantom Alerts are for red light and speed cameras. You have to pay for additional alerts such as railroad crossing and school zones.

Bluetooth synced up and worked well with my smart phone. I could make and take phone calls through the GPS and it would even text back preset messages. Downside is the bluetooth volume is even quieter than the navigation volume.

Updating the unit is not a good experience.
It's next to impossible to find the "content" software on Magellan's site. Easier to use Google to take you to Magellan's link location.
Once installed, my Windows 7 laptop recognized the GPS as a possible damaged storage device. The software would NOT recognize it. Tried removing and installing and nothing worked.
My Windows 8 desktop also recognized it as a possible damaged drive but the software did find the GPS and worked well.

To my disappointment, there were no new firmware upgrades which I hoped would take care of some of the above issues. There was a map upgrade which was a very slow download but went fine.

Other issues:
This is for in car use only as the battery life is horrible. 30 minutes is all you'll get.
It does not have a dashboard feature like my Garmin which features an odometer, speedometer, average speed and top speed. Top speed log is important to many car/motorcycle guys.
The windshield mount is annoying. The suction cup held in place for about 3 hours before letting go. The area near the ball socket has a protruding point that doesn't allow it to tilt all the way in one direction.
The attaching portion, which has the power cord attached to it, awkwardly slides into place. It's not a quick disconnect like other units.
Lastly, the power cord is quite short if you're planning on mounting it on the left side of the dash in a large vehicle.

Mine went back today for a refund and I'll be using my 8 year old Garmin until a good deal comes along on another Garmin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most GPS units, February 8, 2013
The features work as advertised. The only down side is the car mount. The unit is heavy, and the plastic is cheap. The unit bounces around like flubber.

3.0 out of 5 stars User interface is awkward, April 15, 2013
I chose this unit because it had Bluetooth, camera interface, and lifetime maps. All ow those things seem to work fine.

I am disappointed in the camera image quality and navigating the user interface. I have use both TomToms and My Ford Factory GPS unit for years and all seem more intuitive to me.

I got an unexpected surprise when synching my phone. It appears your phone contacts and GPS locations share the same database. This is a bit of an issue if your phone is a blackberry or similar device that has all your work associated in its email/contacts. The device just truncated when it ran out of room. So now to find a location in the destination database I have to scroll through hundreds of contacts. Depending on your intended use these issues may not affect you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to See, October 8, 2013
The Magellan RoadMate 9250T-LMB 7-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator, is really easy for these old eyes to see. The large screen just takes a glance to understand the road ahead. The overhead signs are displayed with the lanes you need to be in highlighted. As you get close to your turn, it switches to street view exactly what the road looks like. The landmark navigation is great, as it's easy to see the school, car wash, or whatever to turn at. Like every GPS on the market, sometimes it tries to send you crazy ways. Just be aware of the way you told it to route (fastest, no tolls, mostly highways etc.) as this has an effect on the routing. The 'T' in the model number indicates 'Truck' as it comes with an extended windshield mount, as their windshields are further away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magellan 9250T-LMB Car Navigation, December 4, 2013
Bill S (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
I have be using my Magellan 9250T-LMB Navigation for about a week now. This was a replacement for my TomTom 720Go. After a lot of research, I decided to buy this model. I have been using a Navigation device in my car for about eight years. So far, I like the 9250T. It has a 7" display and a unique suction cup mount. More on the mount later. The device is easy to set up and easy to use. It has all the features I was looking for. The lifetime maps and traffic were one of the deciding factors in buying this model.
You get a quick start guide in the box, but, if you want the full users manual, you must download it from their web site and print it out. (29 pages). I recommend downloading the manual to learn about all the features.
After setting it up, you must go online to register it so you can get the map upgrades. Click on updates and you will get the latest map download.
The Points of Interest feature is incredible.There is an icon for every type of store, gas station, medical care, etc. The one touch trip planner is very useful for repeat trips.
If you are looking for a feature packed, easy to use and large screen, this is the model for you.
Now for the mount. I have read a lot of complaints about the mounting bracket/suction cup. While some are warranted, many are not. If you extend the bracket and mount the suction cup to the lower windshield, allow the arm to rest on the dash for additional support. It articulates to any position needed to give you a perfect position that does not impede your driving view. As with any suction cup, it will fall off after a day or two. The key to getting the best grip is to be sure to flip the locking arm on the suction cup.
I mounted it to my vinyl dashboard for a 4 hour trip without any problems.
I have only one issue with this unit. While you are in the route mode, that is driving with a programmed destination, there is a dashboard mode. It will display your actual speed, compass heading, eta and miles driven. To access the dashboard feature, tap the lower left corner and it pops up. The annoying thing is , it only stays visible for about 10 seconds and then drops down. There should be a way to toggle it to stay on. I sent customer service an e mail about this, hoping for a work around, but they didn't have one. By the way, customer service is very good. They responded in about 2 hours.
All in all, a good unit for the money. I ordered it from Amazon and paid $129. I have not seen it for less, even on Black Friday!
I would recommend it to my family and friends.

2.0 out of 5 stars Massive screen fitted with probably a rusted 80286 processor, December 17, 2013
80286 processor?!

If you got that, then you are a nerd just like me. But enough about me... Let's look at the GPS.

In this day and age, we are all spoiled and we all want instantaneous results. I don't think it's too unreasonable to ask that out of a brand new GPS unit. On Magellan's website, this one in particular was being described as a brand new model.

"Awesome!" I thought. Surely it will be fast and loaded with the latest maps!!

Wrong.

It was so slow, that I would often find myself tapping the screen in frustration, thus sending me to worlds unknown. Worst of all, the maps are not updated at all. The city "Playa Vista" isn't exactly new... It's been around for more than 10 years. Sadly, the streets within that city are mostly unknown to this little GPS.

"GPS, find W. Promenade in Playa Vista"
(Complete silence)
"Oh sorry, forgot you're not Siri". (starts to touch-type)
(Lag... Lag... Lag...)
"Screw this!! I am sending you back to Amazon!!"
(Lag... Lag... Lag...)

So, big plus for the big screen. But once you get over the shock of that 7" screen, you would find this GPS to be very outdated both in its pre-loaded maps and in its ancient brain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works like a champ for the long distance, October 5, 2013
I had to send my first one back due to a faulty battery. Magellan replaced it on a two-way trade and the one I received has been working flawlessly. I recently went on a long road trip and it never burped. I love the Bluetooth integration but sometimes the phone does not connect automatically. I just tell to phone to connect and it does right away.

I was able to download my contacts but text messaging through the device is still a work in progress.

The maps in the device are very good and it seems to find everything I look for. The one issue I have discovered is that it gets confused by elevated overpasses. It tried to get me to jump off a overpass 150 feet above ground to get on the street below.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm satisfied, March 10, 2013
My old GPS, from the same company, took like years, figure of speech, to calculate cities and streets. Thank heaven someone broke into my car and stole it. This is my replacement model..bought it on sale and I am happy. The GPS works great and has great features....like maps, traffic for life, and Bluetooth while providing traffic camera warnings. The GPS mount is a little worrisome but I was able to take the 7 inch screen and place it below my dashboard. The flexibility of the mount allows the user to place the unit where ever they desire. While not stable as desired I love the ability to place the unit where I want to, right next to the steering wheel vs on the dash. The older magellans', my first GPS were excellent...the company didn't seem to keep up with the product while offering free services. I don't have a problem with with unit...originally, I thought the large screen would be a problem but I played with the mounting bracket and found an area where I am comfortable. Four stars....would be five if the mounting bracket didn't wiggle as much. That said...great buy at the price.