5.0 out of 5 stars Has saved me money
Published 16 months ago by Store To Door Service

Published on May 28, 2012 by M. Klamm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars You would be a beta tester for buggy GPS software on the unit, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Magellan RoadMate 5220-LM Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps (Electronics)
I purchased the Magellan RoadMate 5220-LM GPS (5" screen , running v47 TeleAtlas map) on 5/18/12 from a retail chain that has a store locally in my area. I have used and owned various Magellan GPS's in the past. I was looking to replace my Magellan RoadMate 1470 (4.7" screen, running v45 TeleAtlas map), which I love, but wanted to give to a relative of mine, as they were going to a new town in the fall to attend college.

The unit weights a little less than my smaller 1470, so the feel of the unit is cheap. The screen quality is about the same. However, the contrast ratio appears to not be as good on the new 5220. The user interface has not changed that much. There are little changes, including how the unit shows GPS connection status. The text is not has crisp (anti-aliasing) or bold on the new 5220. For example, the street name on the top of the map when driving is not bold, but standard so it can be harder to read if looking at the screen when driving. In addition, the built-in speaker can not get as loud as my 1470.

At this time I cannot recommend this unit, unless you want to be a "beta tester" for Magellan's new/updated software engine for the RoadMate 5220-LM. I am not going to spend the next 6+ months waiting for Magellan to work out all the bugs with software updates. Support was not friendly or useful at all online/email or over the phone. Here is just a small list of issues & comments with the unit as I extensively tested it in the central and update New York area over the course of 7 days:

1. The majority of the time when coming to a complete stop, like at an intersection or waiting in traffic, no matter which map view (3D, 2D Heading Up, 2D North Up) the unit was set to, the blue arrow representing where I am, goes off the road I am on and will rotate itself. Sometimes the unit will then try to recalculate my route at this point as I stay still not having deviated from the correct path.

2. On 11 occasions over the course of the week, as I was testing the unit, when on a road that I have to stay on for 2 or more miles, it will all the sudden pop up saying "Calculating Route." Sometimes it will keep the same route it had, other times it will make a completely new route. If it calculates a new route it is usually a longer route in terms of time and mileage. I had my 1470 model with me and it would not recalculate as it kept the correct route to my destination.

3.On 6 occasions when getting within 1/8 of a mile or less of my destination, the 5220-LM would come up "Calculating Route" and want me to drive past my destination and a block or two down then around again. 2 of the 6 occasions were in residential areas. The other two occasions where in commercial-downtown areas. Again, I had my 1470 unit with me and it would not do this.

4. Anytime I tried and add an address to my address book, after the unit comes up saying "Saving to Address Book," the entry I just tried to make is not there. It comes up as "Error! (ID:217)" The unit also does this if I try and add a POI to my address book. This issue was fixed after performing a hard reset of the unit two times.

5. Routes calculated would have phantom "unnamed" streets in them. Also when the unit would recalculate as previously mentioned "unnamed" streets would appear. In addition, the unit would pronounce "turn r/l onto unnamed street" when no such item would be listed in the routing list. I should mention that there were NO unnamed roads. It would just add these phantom roads.

6. The speed limit feature is a nice one to have, but it is inconsistent. You never know if it will have the speed limit info to display or no for the road you are on. Even if it is major route in the area.

7. I do like the landmark guidance, but it also has issues. For example, it would tell me to turn left by the school... but the issue was the school or other given landmark was not 1- visbale from the corner where the turn was and 2- the landmark was on the road I needed to turn on, but like 1/8 of a mile down the road so also not completely visible to someone who has not traveled the route prior.

8. The POI datebase was great and searchable fairly quickly. I have always loved the fact that the AAA Guidebook info is included if I want to see a rating of a hotel or restaurant.

I returned the unit after a week of use. The latest map update for the older Magellan GPS at this time was v45. The new 2012 unit, like the 5220-LM had an even newer map with v47. No other software/map updates were available at the time of my ownership. Here is the software info on the unit of the time of my use:

Model: Magellan RoadMate 5220-LM
Purchased: 5/18/2012
MVC#: 09/12
Basemap Version: 43
Detailed Map Version: 47
Software Version: 1.63
Hardware Version: 8289
Core Version: 1.63

In conclusion, DO NOT get this unit until a lot of the software bugs are worked out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has saved me money, March 13, 2013
Like the camera light warning and the speed alert warning as it has saved me from getting tickets. However, the speed limit doesn't always match the road with100% accuracy, but it is close and changes over soon after (I guess it is a gps verses traveling speed issue). You have to set the speed warning at the amount over the limit you want it to alert you. As well, you set the highway speed limit warning separate from other roads speed limit warning which is a great feature because certainly there is less leaveway in school zones than on highways. I will say that you have to go into the options to turn the audiable speed warning on because if not it just flashes orange around the speed limit sign on the device. This is good if you don't want to hear the speed limit warning but still want to hear the turn by turn directions. Sometimes if I know my route, I mute the sound but use the GPS as a ETA guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, I really like this GPS, but it wasn't without its small annoyances, May 16, 2013
HalfGeek (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Although I've always found my smartphone's GPS sufficient for navigating locally, I really could use a GPS for when I drive out of state for business. So I recently got the Magellan Roadmate 5220 via the Vine program, and got a chance to use it last week on the confusing roads of Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, during a business trip.

Overall, I really like this GPS, but it wasn't without its annoyances.

The main menu was easy to navigate, and I never found myself frustrated with having to enter an address. The volume was extremely loud out of the box, but also easy to adjust. My favorite feature is the availability to detour. I was in terrible traffic, almost late for a meeting, and had no idea where I was. The device recognized I was on the highway, must have noticed my speed was slow, and flashed a "detour" button on the screen. I hit the button and it gave me an alternate route that got me to my meeting on time. That was pretty cool.

But as I mentioned earlier, this product has its annoyances as well. When you're approaching exits on the highway, the device pops up pictures on the top half of the screen to show you which exit to take. This would be all right normally, but when you have multiple exits or turns right after each other, it literally blocks your route on the screen so you can't see if a turn is approaching or where the next exit is. I missed a few exits because of this and was understandably annoyed. Another minor issue, I used the suction cup mounting device to clip the GPS to my windshield and found it difficult to clip and unclip the GPS with one hand, though granted that's a more minor concern.

Other than those issues, this GPS proved to be much easier and safer than using my smartphone for navigation. And unlike some of the other reviewers, the thing never got my lost - on the contrary, it worked fine throughout three different states I was visiting for the first time. So I'm going to give it 4 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars This product sounds good but has too many flaws, July 30, 2012
I purchased this product 4 days ago from Costco. I thought it would be a good value since it offers life-time map upgrade and has extra features such as the traffic and speed. I still have my Magellan 1475T. I am planning a cross-country coast-to-coast drive and wanted the best GPS. The new one, the 5235 has problems getting a signal. It is not accurate. It stops in the middle of a route that the other GPS knows and gets "stuck" on calculating a route. It gave me exact opposite directions (to go north on an Interstate instead of south) several times. It is about 1/8 mile off in accuracy.

I am headed back to Costco now to return this. If accuracy is important to you, do not buy this. It can send you on the road in wrong directions. Instead, I plan to pay for a map upgrade on my old 1475.

Maybe, as another reviewer said, they will work out the bugs. Don't buy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, August 9, 2012
Use in in an RV that also has a Garmin 1490. The Magellan is much inferior. Green on green background is hard to see. Next turn indicator is tiny with low contrast. Scale always resets to largest scale when turned off. Routing is inferior and indicated a route 20% further than the garmin. Hard to add custom POI's or address book entries (get error message). Pushing eta to indicate distance to destination results in very hard to read temporary popup with tiny type.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 stars...does what I need it to..., April 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've only owned 1 other GPS and it was several years old before it finally broke recently so that's all that I can compare this one to.

Although this GPS seems pretty basic, it does what I need it to and I've not had any problems using it. It's not very often that I need a GPS but when I do, this one does the job just fine.

One feature that I really like with this GPS is the fact that it tells you the speed limits and can warn you if you're going over the the set speed that you've told it. There are many times that I'm not sure what a speed limit is so this is helpful to me. It's pretty accurate in this area too as I notice when I pass a speed limit sign it instantly changes.

With my other GPS it had difficulty reading my finger more often than not. This GPS understand what I'm pushing without a problem.

The points of interest is a great tool as well. It's being able to find gas stations and restaurants at any given time.

This GPS was very east to get started right out of the box. I was able to plug in addresses fast and easy and hit the road. Although there's a nifty little guide that comes along with the GPS I didn't need it. It's pretty easy to figure out.

At a later date when I decided to register the product and download the required software that's where it was a bit of a pain. The webpage didn't want to load completely at first and then when it did it took a bit of work to get the software downloaded and the product registered. My GPS needed updating which took 20+ minutes only to have it not complete therefore it had to go through half of the process again. It wasn't very clear what I needed to do so it took some tinkering on my behalf but I finally got it. I like having the software on my computer because I was able to easily grab my personal address book and plug in any address that I wanted quickly and easily and have them transfer onto the GPS.

I like this GPS. It works for me. I'm sure if you travel a ton and need other types of features that this one doesn't have then you'll probably want something different but if you just need something basic that works well then I would recommend this GPS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good GPS with some flaws, April 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm one of those people who stick by their GPS. I don't leave home without it. I'm not a confident driver and having a handy device like this is literally a life-saver. I don't trust cell-phone GPSes either.

So how does this system hold up to the others I've tried? Well, in some ways its better and in others it's worse. Hers's my pros and cons rundown:

PROS:

- Lifetime map updates (as long as the company sticks around and map updates are made available)

- VERY up-to-date with stores and businesses. You can search nearby restaurants, etc, and sometimes the GPS will even say "Turn left after the McDonald's" or something like that.

- Good-sized screen

- Cool "Traffic cam" - very helpful when trying to figure out which exit you're supposed to take

- Good battery life

- Strong suction (doesn't fall off your window)

- VERY up-to-date with speed limit info

CONS:

- The voice is a computerized text-reader that will get on yours nerves even more than most GPS voices. She reads EVERY word that appears on the screen. It can get a little intense and annoying after a while.

- Night screen is ugly. The colors are all neon and sickly to look at. I keep it on daylight mode all the time, which is obnoxiously bright.

- Sometimes takes a long time to acquire satellites, but not too bad

OVERALL: Although I've never hard of "Magellan" to know how reliable of a company they are, I'm impressed with this GPS system. It's remarkably up-to-date with the latest traffic maps and business locations. The computer-reader voice is a little annoying, but even if you turn it on silent it is a very impressive device that will be a life-saver when traveling in unfamiliar locations. I hope Magellan sticks around, because I want to take advantage of those free map updates!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Sometimes Inaccurate. Magellan RoadMate 5220 LM: A Citical Review, March 10, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is our first GPS believe it or not.

I know of GPS brands but don't have any personal experience other than being driven in a car by someone using one.

We've had this Magellan for several weeks and going through installation-- at least the first steps was fairly easy, however we still haven't figured out how to bring in the "Contact List" as one of the folder options. So, we gave up and decided that if we really need to put our friends and family addresses in we'd do it on a need-to-do moment.

***

The 5-inch screen reminds me of why I need to upgrade my Android phone to a bigger screen--the extra landscape really does make a visual difference.

We also like the options of finding an address or landmark or even viewing as a driver or a pedestrian.

***

There were times driving, however, that the system didn't recognize the satellite signal and therefore was unable to give us a present location. But, after a few minutes, it was perfectly fine.

On the pedestrian view, the map was very accurate even when we turned down side streets.

***

So, the system works well *most* of the time and some features-- not the critical ones-- were difficult to negotiate, but all in all, still a nice system for people like us who've never actually owned their own GPS system.

1.0 out of 5 stars buggy sw or poor gps recievers?, November 16, 2012
this model takes forever to find its satellites, and is then constantly losing them. I cant tell if it's buggy s/w or the gps recievers just aren't strong enough to lock and hold. Whatever the case, this unit constantly loses the signal, and recalculates mid-flight. A dead give-away is when the arrow indicator wanders off the road, and i'm directed to "take unamed road to..." get back on the road i'm currently driving on! I'll try downloading a s/w update, if there is one. hopefully that will improve things.

another annoying feature is that even though I've turned off the exit ramp feature, it still comes on. and the turn list randomly pops up, and stays on for a few seconds. very inconvenient if a turn is coming up.

and did I mention it was slow? the "click" sound and spoken names just can't keep up with the buttons pressed.

if I could find my reciept i'd return it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, Not Great, March 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tested this Magellan RoadMate 5220-LM side by side with my trusty old Garmin Nuvi 760. Although my Garmin is getting quite long in the tooth, I find that it compares quite favorably to this new Magellan.

Although this Magellan has a larger screen, the Garmin's screen is higher resolution and easier to read from a distance. I found the imaging on the Magellan fairly primitive in comparison.

This model does not have blue tooth, so if you want to pair your GPS with your car's sound system or your cell phone, this product would not be a good choice.

To its credit, the Magellan has new and improved features, such as lifetime map updates (important) of the US, Canada, and Mexico, landmark guidance, traffic camera alerts, and junction view. While all these features, especially the lifetime map updates, are good to have and enhance the functioning of the navigator, current Garmin and TomTom products incorporate these features as well.

One new feature (for me, at least) is that Magellan has a downloadable to your computer "Content Manager" program that allows you to sync your computer's address book to the GPS unit via an included USB cable. You can also enter addresses manually to Content Manager and then sync them to the GPS unit. This saves you from the time and trauma attempting to punch in an address into the GPS while you are backing out of a very tight parking spot during a snow storm. (I know many of you will be nodding your heads as you read this.) While Content Manager works, it is unattractive and fairly primitive for 21st century software.

Once set up and on the road, I found the unit extremely slow to identify satellites, losing connection periodically. I also found that the maps were not particularly up to date. Not sure of the value of the lifetime map update feature if Magellan doesn't offer the most up to date mapping with each update.

If you are in the market for a new GPS, I would go directly to Garmin or TomTom products. Navigate away from this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›