Magellan eXplorist 510 Waterproof Hiking GPS
Style Name: Waterproof Hiking GPSChange
Price:$200.90 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 28, 2011
Style Name: Waterproof Hiking GPSVerified Purchase
This is the third Magellan i bought. This does everything you will ever need for Geocaching. It has much better downloading capabilities than the Sporttrak Pro. But Beware, to see the screen during the day outside you must have the brightness up the whole way. This uses batteries quick. The battery time listed is GREATLY overrated. A new set of batteries last about 4 hours. If you are going out for a full day of geocaching make sure you bring PLENTY of batteries.
on March 22, 2013
Style Name: Waterproof Hiking GPSVerified Purchase
I received the Summit Series Explorist 510 and am very happy with it. The description at the top of the page is misleading. You might be under the impression that it comes with ALL 9 regional maps, or at least the US topo maps and it does Not. They should at the least tell you that you will need to go to Magellan to download your maps after you get the GPS. Another disappointing fact is that the download code that came with the unit is ONLY for 1 Regional Map, and cannot be used toward the US map covering ALL 9 regions. Spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Amazon and Magellan and the code is only good for 1 topo map download, a $49.99 Value, so beware. If you want the entire US topo map you will need to fork out another $99.99, only then will you get All 9 regions. Magellan says that the detail is the same for the US as the regional maps so it would make sense to buy the US if you plan on being outside your region. There is no mention of needing a Micro SD memory card, as it has 2GB internal memory, but the operating system occupies 3/4 of that. You will need a 2GB Micro SD card if you plan on installing the US topo map. Regional maps are around 250MB in size so you can fit "1" on the internal memory. So plan on getting a micro SD card also. This unit will support up to 32GB according to Magellan. You will need the extra memory if you start using the camera or video, which is another great feature.

The description needs to be fixed. Notice also that the detailed description is from the manufacture and it does not say anything about the topo maps being included or what the real deal is.

My other issue is that the other GPS units listed on Amazon, say "Whats in the box". This one does not. I bought the USB cable also, as many others have, only to open the box and find that one is included. This was another $10, but will keep it in the car or something.

Amazon needs to be TRUTHFUL and tell us what we are really getting when ordering this product and any others.

I gave 4 Stars for the unit itself. It has a strong, sturdy feel to it and functions perfectly. No issues with the touch screen as others have mentioned, but I was also careful not to purchase a refurbished. used, or discounted unit. It has accurately detected my position to within 10-12 feet as described and is full of great features and functionality. The 3 inch, color screen is a pleasure to use versus the older Sport-track series. I recommend this unit for the weekend explorer that needs a good GPS at a decent price.

They lost 1 Star due to the fact that the description is misleading and there was no mention of what came in the box. Shame on you Amazon !!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Style Name: Waterproof Hiking GPSVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I approached the Magellan eXplorist 510 Waterproof Hiking GPS with no small amount of hesitation. I've used similar devices in the past and they were riddled with shortcomings and badly executed features. But the eXplorist 510 sets the bar higher than most competing models and does it with style.

The first thing you notice when you open the box is 1) how small the actual unit is, and 2) how large the color display is in relation to the rest of the case. This provides exceptional clarity and detail in a form factor that's perfectly suited for even small hands.

The graphical user interface is exceptional. Setup is intuitive and easy, and the controls are logical and well placed. Getting from Start to real-time location tracking takes less than a minute--which is very good performance considering the complexity of a device like this and the challenge of locking on satellite signals in wooded and urban areas.

I was particularly pleased with the breadth of features in a unit priced at just over $300. You get a first-class GPS with 3" touch screen, PC connectivity, 3.2 megapixel camera, alarm clock, MicroSD expandability, and full-featured paperless geocaching in a slim, light package.

This is definitely the unit to buy of you want a flexible, waterproof, feature-rich, and rugged handheld GPS.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 9, 2013
Style Name: Waterproof Hiking GPSVerified Purchase
I purchased this unit to back up my Raymarine chartplotter when sailing, as Magellan is one of two manufacturers that uses Navionics charts (the other is Delorme) which is the same chart system as the Raymarine. Here are some of my observations after several months of use.

1. Others are correct...it is very difficult to use and not at all intuitive. Confusing and poorly presented functions, and it does not come with a manual. It took hours to figure it out, even with reference to the online manual. the unit is clearly slanted to geocaching, and most of its features are useless to me. Marine features such as route planning are cumbersome. There is no anchor alarm, at least that I could find.

2.The touchscreen is twitchy and I find it hard to pan the charts, which is important when navigating.

3. Even though Magellan touts compatability with Navionics charts, it will not accept a Navionics Silver chart. However, it will display Platinum charts, although not all Platinum features. i think Magellan designed it to work with only Gold charts however, according to their literature.

4. Screen visibility in sunlight is poor, making it difficult to see at the helm in open sky.

5. After 2 months my unit failed, and would not pick up GPS signals at all, indicating only a "No FF" message in the GPS menu. No indication in the "manual" of what this might mean, though an internet search suggested that this was a failure of the GPS chipset, requiring repair/replacement.

6. Once I was able to reach a live person in customer support by calling 800-669-4477, I was happy to receive good customer support, and the exchange of my unit for a new (refurbished) one. We'll see how the next one does, hopefully will be more reliable than the last.

My two star rating reflects the 510s marginal marine features and may not be accurate for those intending to use it for geocaching, etc.
on December 26, 2012
Style Name: Waterproof Hiking GPS
Review: Magellan Explorist 510 Handheld GPS

I'll open with the general list of Magellan eXplorist 510 touted features, then touch on how well it works, why the hiker or hunter would want this unit, or not. The primary features follow.

***Preloaded World Edition maps ... include a detailed road network, land areas, transportation points and water features of more than 200 countries. The 2,000 waypoints guide you toward useful and interesting destinations while geocaching. 3" backlit transreflective color touch-screen display, with a WQVGA (240 x 400) resolution allows for easy viewing while you're outdoors. Also features a navigational dashboard, OneTouch favorites menu, main menu and contextual options menu.

***Supports paperless geocaching with up to 10,000 geocaches, 200 track logs, 10,000 track points, 200 routes and 500 legs per route. Built-in 3.2MP digital camera for capturing still images. 2 AA batteries (included) provide up to 15-16 hours of use.

***SiRFstar III GPS technology, along with Satellite Based Augmentation Systems (SBAS) for locking onto and maintaining your position quickly and accurately in most environments and receiving directions in moments. High-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver enhances performance in heavy cloud cover, wooded areas and canyons so you don't have to worry about losing the satellite link.

***Ultracompact design GPS fits easily into a pocket for convenient portability. Water-resistant design, repels moisture to withstand the elements. MicroSD card slot: insert a removable media card (not included) containing additional map data or regional maps to expand your navigational ability.

The Magellan Magellan eXplorist 510 is about a 7 ounce unit in a 5 inch by x 2-5/8 inch x 1-1/2 thick platform. As soon as you start to experiment with it you'll quickly notice that it has a very beefy, sturdy feel to it. It does boot up very briskly, compared to various starter units, and the display is a very big improvement from earlier black and white displays, or the crude low-resolution color displays.

It is a big, clear LCD, with far more detail than you might expect from a handheld GPS. The claimed battery life from two AA lithium batteries is 16 hours. I'm more than a bit skeptical about that. The caveat to the big, bright screen is battery drain. Cold weather does batteries no favors, either. You can maximize the battery life by dimming the screen down to the lowest comfortably visible level. If you take a lot of pictures or video, you can expect that to lessen your battery life as well. There is a somewhat confusing "hibernate" mode, called either "suspend mode" or "active suspend mode." It is confusing to me, perhaps because you can hardly actively hibernate or frenetically suspend much of anything. The suspend mode on this unit does not track your movement, as claimed in some places. It does keep GPS lock and gives you an instant-on type of feature, rather than rebooting the unit, but no more than that.

It does take video and still images and you can also annotate your journey with voice memos. All three of these things can be attached quickly to a waypoint for future reference. It is very quick and easy to do this, but don't get the impression that you are going to get beautiful 8 x 10 prints out of your images. It is a pinhole camera, horrible in low-light, and adequate for documenting landmarks, various points of interest or value, but this is not comparable to even an average point and shoot camera in capture quality. I wouldn't expect it to be, but if you are . . . note that this unit does not displace an average digital still camera in imaging ability.

The quick-start manual is minimal and the PDF you can download isn't much better. Magellan could certainly include a reasonable paper manual in the box and I think there is little excuse not to. You can add a MicroSD card to this unit, but one isn't included. This again rates as a niggle, for a 2GB MicroSD card costs about five dollars at the moment, a few dollars more for an 8GB card. It should be included with the unit. You'll need more memory with extensive picture-taking, a very small amount of video, and Magellan does offer several optional maps that will require more memory than is available in the unit as supplied.

The hunting usefulness is almost self-explanatory. You use the 510 when scouting and it will come in handy when going out to a stand or blind in the dark, or returning to camp in complete darkness as well. The 3 inch touchscreen is far easier to use than the dinky 2 - 2-1/4 inch versions. This unit also has an electronic compass, altimeter, and an alarm. The screen can be viewed in both 2D and 3D perspectives.

The 510 is primarily touchscreen controlled. You have an on/off button at the top of the unit, with dedicated waypoint marking and camera buttons on the side: that's it. It is accurate and it tells you how accurate it is. Right now as I type this, it is within 14 feet and the satellite reception is "Excellent," even indoors. It gives you a graphic showing the number of satellites it is reading from and the relative strength of the signal from each one. In my case, that is eleven different satellites.

It also has screen capture, sunrise / sunset info, a hunting / fishing calendar, and can calculate the area for you if you walk the perimeter. The few things I've mentioned that should be improved are not catastrophic. You're on your own for a microSD card that will set you back only a few dollars. The poor included manual is something Magellan really does need to attend to; the consolation as that the eXplorist 510 is very easy to use and needs little additional information to fully enjoy it.

I'm happy to recommend it; more info on this unit and the rest of the Magellan line can be found at the Magellan website.

Copyright 2012 by Randy Wakeman. All Rights Reserved.
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2011
I have to admit that I was not very keen on the idea of having a GPS device while hiking. Having been in the military, I really just want a map and a compass. But I gave in when I learned that you can get great maps for the entire planet in the palm of your hand. I was sick and tired of having to use crappy tourist maps or simply going blind. Now I have the ability to find my way just about anywhere. So, for the maps alone, this device is worth it. But, I actually found myself using many of the other features as well.

First of all, the device is really tough and fits in your hand nicely. I haven't tested the waterproof claim yet, but it seems to be well designed for wet situations.

You can mark way points to chart your return, even taking pictures along the way. Each picture you take has a grid coordinate to make certain you can find it. This is the ultimate trail of bread crumbs.

Another handy tool is the ability to find routes wherever you are. I have found some great hikes that are literally a few miles within my home that I never knew about. Also, you can save tracks that you really enjoyed so you can access them later on.

I really enjoy going off the beaten path when I see something interesting or just want to venture into uncharted territory. With this thingy, I feel confident when I leave the trail that I will be able to navigate my way anywhere.

Finally, the one thing I found to really be annoying is the fact that the compass is not very good at all. If you are moving, it seems to be dead on. But if you stop, look at the compass, then you could get any reading. My understanding is the the 610 and 710 models have a more accurate compass feature, so if that is important for you too, pony up for the 610.

Overall, this is a great device for those traditionalists who cringe at the thought of that much technology on the trail. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2011
Style Name: Waterproof Hiking GPSVerified Purchase
This product does seem to work pretty well, but touchscreen needs a lot of work. The touchscreen is not very accurate and usually takes a few tries for the screen to register the action. It does take a lot of getting used pressing in just the right place so that is doesn't 'go back' a screen instead of accepting the desired action. The unit can also be pretty slow in responding even after you have pressed the correct function. The user manual is very basic and not much information is included, just very basic high-level info. The unit does allow you to extend it's memory using a microSD/SDHC card which is located under the batteries. The problem is that the door to the microSD card does not stay closed very well and keeps popping up and I am not sure how well the batteries hold it in place (very poor design).

I did use the geocaching function and that was very cool and look forward to finding a lot more caches. The unit comes with 1000 pre-installed caches but most of them are probably useless because they are located all over the US (so unless you travel extensively you would need to load them with local caches).

Now for the customer service, I decide to purchase the Summit Series - United States from Magellan's website based on their description. I was mainly interested in there outdoor-centric POI's. Well after downloading the new map and installing it I discovered that the POI's were pitiful and mostly useless for me. Most everything from drinking water to picnic areas and campsite were all 100+ miles from me locally and I live in a pretty populated area in the southeast (VA) and I know of many, many that should have shown up on the "millions of outdoor-centric POI's" - very frustrating and after dealing with the customer service they would do nothing for me other than to same sorry for the inconvenience. They need to stand behind their product and resolve it if it does not meet expectations.

So the gps unit gets 3 stars and customer service gets 1 star.
on March 19, 2012
Style Name: Waterproof Hiking GPS
I received this GPS for Christmas last year. Right out the box the thing has issues. It would freeze up and I would either have to hard restart it or take the batteries out. Also the left side of the touch screen was pretty much a dead spot. Any time it asked me a yes or no question it took about 20-30 minutes to get it to accept yes as an answer(the yes key was on the left) Contacted their "customer service" and after about 3 weeks of emailing back and forth they finally accepted a return and a replacement. I had to pay for shipping both ways, which if you get a defective product why not send me a return label with the new one, my cellphone company did this. It also took about 2 weeks to get a new one. After receiving the new GPS it didn't have the lock up problem but low and behold the left side of the screen is totally shot. Trying to get another replacement unit but don't know if its even worth it now. Save your money on this one and go for a Garmin!
on November 10, 2012
Style Name: Summit Series Topo Map BundleVerified Purchase
I bought the 510 unit with the Summit Series bundle option thinking it would contain all 9 regions of USA. This option is only $15 more than standard issue (that should have told me something). You are not going to get something for nothing or next to nothing. On Magellan site: you can buy up to 9 regions (all USA) for $49 each or a 1 USA region for $99? The promo code coupon attached to box cover stated it was only good for 1 region selection. I tried to order the complete USA region set. When I got to the end of ordering process where one enters the promo code: No Go, code is not recognized. It is applicable when you order one of the nine regions for $49; the cost becomes (0) after accepting the promo code. The good points: nice size screen, fairly easy to navigate the menu and camera works well, also. Other less than average features: needs better instruction to download region maps from their web site to your 510 unit. The lithium batteries seem to lose energy quickly:: After about 2 hours of use (includes 1 region download), half the battery power was gone. Overall, I am satisfied with purchase: the GPS link up to satellite is much faster on 510 than my Magellan Road Mate.
on January 3, 2011
My wife and I had little experience with GPS devices other than using google maps on my android phone, so needless to say, I was impressed with this product. The first objection to this model, though, has to be the price. Why is it at least twice the price of other, units? Probably the built in camera, which takes surprisingly good photos. If you don't care about this feature, then you can probably do with a less expensive model.

My wife belongs to a mommy and me group that goes geocaching and this product was the talk of the group when she showed it to everyone. In addition to being easy to use for just about anyone, it comes with the above-mentioned 3.2 megapixel camera for geotagging (I remember not too long ago when a regular camera with 3.2 megapixels would have cost $200), memo recorder, etc. to help capture your experiences and "adventures" --even if they do involve toddlers! In fact, just about the only things that this model doesn't have that might be found in more expensive units are altimeter, turn by turn directions, and FRS type radio (which would have been nice). But you're not using this to get around town, so turn by turn directions are probably irrelevant. For much less money just get a Tom Tom, or whatever. No, this GPS is for the entry level, serious adventurer.

The body itself feels very rugged and durable and is water resistant. You get the feeling that this thing can take some abuse and keep on going. And that's good, 'cause when you're venturing across the icy wastes of Patagonia, you don't want your GPS breaking down. Or, if you have a two year old who likes to throw things...

One problem that we had was that the batteries shipped with the unit were dead on arrival. When we installed new batteries, the device still did not work. We really thought that we'd rec'd a defective unit until we tried yet a third set of batteries and it worked fine. I really don't know what happened or if these things just need VERY strong batteries to start up successfully. Time will tell.

The bottom line is this: If you want a full featured GPS unit for serious use, I don't think you can do much better than this. Yes, it's a bit pricey and, as such, probably targeted to the semi-serious trekker, not someone who wants to see where they are in the mall.

Good product. I like it, one star deduction for the lack of a radio and the fact that it didn't work right away out of the box.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations