5.0 out of 5 stars A big hit in our house (UPDATED)
Published on December 28, 2007 by Sapere Aude

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive
Published 4 months ago by Amazon shopper

5.0 out of 5 stars A big hit in our house (UPDATED), December 28, 2007
This review is from: Magformers 62 Piece Set (Toy)
My children, (4.5 and 2.5) got these for Christmas, one 30 piece set each. Shown here is the blue & yellow 62 piece set. Magformers also makes a 30 piece set and a 14 piece set. The smaller sets do not contain the pentagon shape. My daughter received the red & purple 30 piece set, and my son go the 30 piece blue & yellow set There are two shapes - 18 squares and 12 triagles in the 30 piece box. 30 pieces is enough to build decent sized shapes, but if you have a builder who enjoys elaborate structures, they may want more pieces. From what I've seen, this 62 piece set looks like a good amount. All the pieces in a set are the same two colors, one side is blue, the other yellow for example.

They do indeed go together as described on the box. They never reject on the edge, if you flip it over the other way, it still connects. I did find that certain combinates of putting them face to face does reject and the shape has to be flipped over. The magnets are completely encapsulated in the plastic, not glued in the edges as was the problem with magnet toys which have been recalled - as these strong magnets can be deadly when swallowed. That is my largest concern with this toy, but I spent some time trying to pry apart the plastic to be sure it was secure and it flexed some but seemed pretty well put together. Given the CPSC's recalls on other toys using similar magnets, however, I will be keeping a very close eye on these.

As for the educational value, they are wonderful - my 4.5 year old daughter was immediately building all sorts of geometric shapes with it, and while my son isn't at that level, he still enjoyed stacking them and pulling them apart. This toy is a great alternative to the much more expensive magnatiles.

Update - 4 years later - The kids played with these for a long time, they definitely were a big hit and one of their favorite toys

5.0 out of 5 stars pricey but great play value, October 17, 2008
This review is from: Magformers 62 Piece Set (Toy)
I bought the 62 piece set last Christmas for my then 3 year old, and it was an instant hit with him, his 6 year old brother, and their 10 year old sister. This is a toy that they pull out often, and when it's out, they'll play with it for a long time building all sorts of shapes. I would highly recommend the largest set, as it comes with pentagons as well as squares and triangles and there are a lot more possibilities. It's more expensive than some of the other magnetic toys, but safer if you have little ones in your home because the magnets are enclosed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literally HOURS of fun, October 9, 2008
This review is from: Magformers 62 Piece Set (Toy)
My kids (ages 6 and almost 4) LOVE these, and they have loved them since we bought them over a year ago. We have had one break, though, when the kids were smashing their towers down. With usual play, though, they are quite durable. You'll be amazed at what your kids come up with. I highly recommend this set over the ones without pentagons--the pentagons add a new level of cool to their creations.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Have a Winner!!!, August 21, 2013
This review is from: Magformers 62 Piece Set (Toy)
I bought this 62-piece set for my 5-year-old granddaughter. She took off with it almost immediately. The instruction illustrations are easy for her to follow, and she quickly began creating her own 3-D designs from headphones to rock-climbing helmets! I was amazed at what came out of her imagination and how she did things in an alternative way. Her 1-year-old sister was very happy to just put them together and pull them apart.

I highly recommend the 62-piece set, because lots of designs can be constructed. This is a very durable, quality, and safe educational toy. The packaging makes it very easy to store. I came to Amazon this evening to decide on another set to complement the one I got.

Oh yeah... It's a ton of fun for the entire family!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, August 18, 2013
JR (Austin TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magformers 62 Piece Set (Toy)
highly recommend this toy for children..they have so much fun using their imagination with it. Seems a bit high priced but is worth every penny....quality, well made toy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magformers good price found on Amazon., August 3, 2013
This review is from: Magformers 62 Piece Set (Toy)
Was introduced to magformers by an aunt that bought them for her grandchildren. We bought them for our grandson's third birthday and he couldn't put them down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very fun., June 25, 2013
This review is from: Magformers 62 Piece Set (Toy)
Great activity for my Grandchildren when they come to visit. So easy even Grandma can build with it too. Would recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Girls & Boys, April 15, 2013
Sally (West Lafayette, IN, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magformers 62 Piece Set (Toy)
We've given this set of Magformers to our 5 year old granddaughter and 4 year old grandson. Both love this toy and play with it daily - worth every penny!

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, August 10, 2014
This review is from: Magformers 62 Piece Set (Toy)
This is the second set of Magformers I have purchased from Amazon. My grandchildren really enjoy playing with them but they are sooooo expensive. They would like some wheels or some of the other odd shaped pieces but I have to watch and see if the price drops before I can purchase more. They are very easy for the kids to play with. I have an 8 yr. old granddaughter and 4 yrs and 2 yr. old grandsons and they all love to work them in various ways. Unfortunately the book that comes with each set shows pictures and diagrams of contractions that cannot be made unless you buy more sets and I don't like that. I wish there were more diagrams of more things to build with each particular set with just a hint of what could be done with more sets.

4.0 out of 5 stars 62pc set review, May 12, 2014
This review is from: Magformers 62 Piece Set (Toy)
Fantastic ! My 5 yr old loves it ! But , you really need to buy a kit with lots and lots of pieces,as even the 62pc set that we purchased isn't enough once they start building things.
Great delivery ,thankyou