Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Maggie's Second Chance (Sit! Stay! Read!)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

96%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 13, 2011
Loved this book! I have read other books by this author and purchased two copies, one to keep and one to share with a friend's child who loves dogs. The story is lovely and meaningful. A great gift for anyone who loves dogs, has rescued a shelter dog, or anyone who has that instant connection to humankind's best friend.
on June 30, 2011
Maggie's Second Chance is an incredible book by author, Nancy Furstinger and illustrated by Joe Hyatt. It captures the heart with its true story of Maggie and the children that start a shelter to save animals. As a retired teacher, I feel this beautifully told story should be a "must read" in every classroom and shared with the students' families.
We, at DAWGS, are so honored to be included in this wonderful story and hope that others will be inspired to save animals and make a difference, not only in the lives of the animals, but in the children (and adults) involved. The students from DAWGS are now graduating from high school. They are headed out to "change the world" and are armed with compassion and empathy for animals, and for others, as a result of their huge efforts at the sanctuary. Thank you, Nancy, for including our story and for rescuing and loving your dear Maggie...it is a phenomenal book!!
on June 23, 2011
I sat, I stayed and I read! And, oh my gosh, "Maggie's Second Chance" is a wonderful story! I had a lump in my throat the whole way through. Nancy writes beautifully; she has an amazing way with words and along with John Hyatt's fabulous art work I felt I was living the story. This book is an excellent book for school children who need to be taught that animals are not throw-away-objects and what will happen to them if they are abandoned. The children's enthusiasm to save Maggie and her puppies and their inspiring drive to build an animal shelter is heart warming and uplifting. Although this is a children's book, adults should take the story's message to heart also.
on December 28, 2011
When I was a child my parents never let me have a pet of my own, and I was forever petting and trying to love on all the neighborhood cats and dogs. I was brokenhearted I wanted a pet of my own SO much and I knew there were animals out there that needed a home. I remember thinking...when I grow up no one will ever tell me I can't have a pet of my own or how many I can have. Nancy's books inspire adults and children to believe in happy endings for animals and people. Her books help educate and teach compassion towards animals. It is so obvious from reading her books that she lives her love of animals in her life and through her work which she so generously shares with the world. I have every one of her books and when my nieces come to visit me they always want me to read from her books. When they came this Christmas I had Maggies Second Chance to read to them! I can hardly wait for the next one to come out! Though I adored my parents, unlike them I wholeheartedly believe that until you have loved an animal you have never known unconditional love and I encourage that in children SO much and adore the books that Nancy Furstinger writes and the illustrations are just magnificient in all her books! Keep them coming Nancy!! Love you !! Susan Yearout
on August 8, 2011
Maggie's Second Chance is a very heartwarming story about courage, hope, determination, action, but mainly ~ Love. It uplifts and inspires and sensitively addresses the plight of homeless animals in a way that is positive and the happy ending is laudable in this mission. The illustrations are great and I would highly recommend this book for both children and adults, for it's touching and educational value of empathy and caring.
Nancy's love for animals shines through and highlights on how, when given a chance,
dogs and other animals, return the favor, with unconditional love, which is indeed a treasure, as anyone who has ever adopted a companion animal, knows.
on October 23, 2013
This book was wonderful. LOVE, LOVE, LOVED IT. The authors did an amazing job writing this all to common story. I was choked up reading it because this happens to pets far too often where they are left behind or unwanted or neglected but this delightful book has a very happy story and a happy ending for Maggie aka Jolly. I had a friend read it as well and she LOVED it too. Made her tear up as well but she was so happy with the ending. Kudos to the authors. Can't wait for the next book
on November 3, 2011
My Review: If you are an animal lover then you would love to read all about Maggie's Second Chance a gentle dog's rescue. This is a true story about the important of responsibility shown by fourth grade students who read about how Maggie was going to be euthanized. The children were determined to go to the city council and convinced the members to set up a shelter that would house animals that would not be killed but can stay in the shelter till they are adopted.

This is a sad story with a happy ending. Sad because pets like Maggie are the casualty of foreclosures who are often left indoors, without food, water or the comforts of a temperature controlled environment. We should remember that pets are living and breathing creature incapable of fending for itself and that when you get a pet you are responsible for fending for that pet.

What a great illustration by Joe Hyatt who was able to show the true expression of Maggie.

FTC Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not monetarily compensated for my opinion in any way.
on April 22, 2013
This was a Wonderful book! Great children's book to teach kids about shelter dogs and how all creatures are precious. This book brought tears to my eyes, but such a happy ending. Especially since this is based on a true story. Nancy Furstinger is a great writer and this is another wonderful creation of hers. A Must Read!
on August 13, 2011
I have been working at Camp Kindness at the Catskill Animal Sanctuary this summer and this past week I brought this book with me to read to the kids. Well, the kids really loved the book, not many dry eyes in the group by the time we finished! It really helps support the lesson of kindness to all creatures and it showed the kids that, even though they are young (8 to 12 years old), they can help make a possitive change in how animals are treated. Plus, there are all kinds of "hints" about other important issues, like recycling (newspapers), the need for more animal shelters, adopting rather than buying, etc., that kids can get involved in. Adults, too. This is definately a book for all ages, with an important message for us all. Very uplifting ending, too!
on August 5, 2011
My neighbor's six year old loves animals so I thought this book would be perfect for her -- and it was. She loves it. It's a great gift for children who love dogs, not to mention other animals. It also gives a good lesson in compassion and what people can do to improve the world if they just get together and work toward that aim. Very uplifting and beautifully illustrated.