5.0 out of 5 stars "No use cryin'"
Save MAGIC CITY! After two 8-episode seasons, the STARZ network decided to pull the plug on the Miramar Playa and all our friends inside. Are you kidding me?

Published 16 months ago by Dante Golio

3.0 out of 5 stars Suspect casting and terrible writing doom sexy concept
Poor casting and bad writing doomed this interesting concept. The sets, cars and costumes are fantastic, but the writing just didn't measure up. They had a real hard time coming up with credible season story arcs. For example, everyone knows that there was no legallized gambling in Miami in the late 50s early 60s, so how can the writers expect to build any credible...
Published 1 month ago by David C. Read

5.0 out of 5 stars "No use cryin'", August 18, 2013
This review is from: Magic City: Season 2 (DVD)

Containing NC-17 sex, light-R violence, lush cinematography, killer acting and a loving, golden-oldie music-track, the saga of Ike "The Shark" Evans and Ben "The Butcher" Diamond is hands-down one of the greatest gangster-dramas ever. No kidding. Hell, they even got James Caan on-board. Give it up for Mitch Glazer, the Miami native who created this sparkling period-piece of sun, skin, sin, betrayal and blood. Let's all say it together: THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, September 15, 2013
L. Negron (Tinton Falls, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic City: Season 2 (DVD)
How sad and unfortunate that this series was cut short. Loved the story line, music, and clothes. It was thrilling while beautiful to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic City - The Complete Second Season, November 3, 2013
When I watch a time period-specific movie or a TV series, I pay close attention to the production design, hoping that I would make me feel that I was there. Set in the Miami of the late fifties, "Magic City" certainly made me feel that way - its attention to detail is just fascinating as the story itself. Having reviewed the first season of this classy and intriguing series, I anxiously waited for the second one. And, for my bucks, the "Magic Season - The Second complete Season" did not disappoint - it is first class entertainment.

The second season Blu-ray edition includes 3 discs, the first two featuring eight episodes and the third one loaded with special features. It opens with "Crimes and Punishment," where we find Ike Evans (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), the series' main character, in prison, accused of murder, with Judi Silver (Elena Satine), a prostitute, as the main witness. However, Ike is able to get bail, and is also fortunate to keep his beloved Miramar Playa Hotel. "Angel of Death," the second episode, introduces us to a new character: Sy Berman (the always dependable James Caan), a respected Chicago Outfit mobster, who arrives to Miami to visit Ben Diamond (Danny Huston, who shines in his role), the local mobster king. When asked by Sy if he is happy, Ben responds, "Happy? F-----g Howdy Doody is happy. I'm content." At the end of the episode, Ike is traveling to Cuba, to expand his empire. In the following episodes, we'll keep witnessing Ben's sexual fantasies with his wife (Jessica Marais); Ike's deals with the Cuban government; Jack Klein (Matt Ross), Miami's District Attorney, restless harassment of Ike Evans; Ike's son, Stevie (Steven Strait) rising up in the power structure, but not in a good way; Ben putting pressure on Miami politicians to pass the law that would allow gambling in Miami, and Ike and Meg Bannock (Kelly Lynch) fight against it; and much more. The last episode of the season, and the best, I think, feels like "The Godfather," with all the pieces falling into place, and in which only the best will survive, with Ike always trying to save and keep his hotel, with the support of his beautiful wife Vera (Olga Kurylenko). In addition to Caan, the second season also features Esai Morales and Sherilyn Fenn. I specially enjoyed the use of the track "Fever," with the voice of legendary Cuban singer La Lupe.

As I mentioned in the review for the first season, "Magic City" "has class and elegance in everything - the sex, the ambiance, the colors, the nudity... hell, even the violence. It has style and it has substance - great production design and photography --, and it feels like noir at times." The exciting second season follows the same path, and I can't wait for the next one. The special features include the documentaries "The gamble for Havana," "The Criminal Element," "Magic City Style," and more. (USA, 2013, color, 411 min)

Reviewed by Eric Gonzalez for Starz - Anchor Bay Entertainment Blu-ray

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, December 11, 2013
This review is from: Magic City: Season 2 (DVD)
This is a great series. The drama takes place in Miami just as Castro was coming to power.Very absorbing plot lines, concerning crime, politics, and family relationships, as well as interesting, well acted characters. I particularly enjoyed some of the ancillary characters including Elena Satine, as a hooker and Jessica Marais as the tormented wife of arch gangster Ben Diamond. Michael Rispoli and James Cenatiempo were also notable as henchmen for the main characters, Ben Diamond and Ike Evans.
This is a series that I did not want to end-unfortunately it has ended after only two seasons. If Starz had promoted it better it would have been a run away hit. I hope they reconsider-it really is that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars In Memoriam, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Magic City: Season 2 (DVD)
I watched both seasons and I thought it was an awesome show.

It had a lot of potential, but unfortunately it was cut down in it's prime. To me, the casting and acting was very well done. The settings, music, clothes, and cars were great. Everything was very authentic. The show really gave you a look at what life was like in those times as far as clothing, culture, cars, etc go. The story was rich and multifaceted and could have taken several of the main characters in different directions. Season two sort of served as the fork in the road or turning point for a lot of characters and you could definitely see it all unfolding. However, at the end, you are left hanging big time with no resolution because that was all supposed to be season three! (which is ok as long as you actually get the next season). It was unfortunate that the cancellation news broke after all the filming had wrapped up so there really wasn't a chance for the show to go out in a blaze of glory and tie up all the loose ends. Instead you are left with a tremendous feeling of I can't wait to see what happens in season three. A season that will never come......

I am definitely sad to see magic city go and I wish the show would be saved, but I guess the numbers just weren't there. I don't think the show got the recognition it deserved. It had the makings of a really great show and I was really looking forward to enjoying seasons of it for a years to come.

The soundtrack and musical score on itunes are also pretty good stuff.

I highly recommend watching season 1 & 2. It is a good show and I think you will definitely appreciate all it had to offer and maybe even wish for more magic city yourself !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Death of a Great Show!!, December 3, 2013
Soooo sad... another really great show taken off the air!!!! Well written. scored, acted, cinematography, etc., etc...too bad it was on such a crappy channel. Why wouldn't they have given it another season to "get legs"???

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great series...but, January 15, 2014
This series has a beauty and style to it that really brings it alive, and with a stellar cast you truly have 'magic' here. I've heard that Starz has cancelled the series so I can't fully recommend this since it seems to be building towards something bigger in an imagined season 3. One can only hope that there will be some sort of closure in the future - whether that means a movie to complete it, or by some luck only the dreamland of 60's Miami cool could create - that it would get picked up by Netflix or Amazon for more seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I like a dramatic series, you can count on it being cancelled!, November 9, 2013
"Deadwood," "Boss," "The Borgias," and now "Magic City" make up my list of favorite dramatic shows of mine that were all ended prematurely. At least the producers of "Breaking Bad," and "Six Feet Under" knew ahead of time how long their shows would run so that the audience was left with a satisfying ending. On the other hand, as evidenced by the unpopular final episodes of "The Sopranos" and "Dexter," knowing that a particular season will be the last one may not always be a good thing. Let's just hope that we get a decent conclusion for "Sons of Anarchy" next season and whenever the powers that be decided that "Mad Men" has run its course.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this show, August 14, 2014
I loved this show. I am so sad they are not going to make anymore. The period was so 'romantic' and 'dangerous'. The costumes, buildings, cars were so authentic for that period of time. And so many of the characters were downright beautiful and smoldering!

5.0 out of 5 stars Too bad it's the last, December 18, 2013
This review is from: Magic City: Season 2 (DVD)
I don't like this show as much as my favorites, Mad Men and the Walking Dead, but I think it deserved more than 2 seasons. It's one of those shows that has a very loyal but small fan base. The end of the season brings enough closure to make me feel satisfied but left just enough open so there was room to move on if Starz decided to let them put out another season. The case for the DVDs if well crafted and if you already own the 1st season you should know what to expect. I did feel like the Special Features were lacking. Knowing that it was probably going to be the last season when they released the DVDs it would've been nice to have some of the actors and crew reflections on the show. There was a little bit of that but not in a 'well, it was great while it lasted and this is what it meant to me' kind of way.

Magic City: Season 2
Magic City: Season 2 by Jeffrey Dean Morgan (DVD - 2013)
$44.98 $17.99