Published on April 7, 2009 by Mandy Alford

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought a used copy
I was a little less pleased with this purchase than some others. The book pages split open to about the middle of the book because the spine was split. Also, all the photos are in b&w. I may have been happier buying a newer edition of this book.
Published 15 months ago by Aleta A. Rodriguez

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Throw away the manual that came with your Xsi and use this instead, April 7, 2009
This review is from: Magic Lantern Guides®: Canon EOS Rebel XSi EOS 450D (Paperback)
I recently purchased this book on the recommendation of my photography professor. It goes into much greater detail than the manual and in addition to telling you how to do something, it gives you the reasoning behind doing so. I am still learning how to use my camera, and this book is a huge help at times where I would otherwise be lost. Because I am learning the reasons why I should set my camera a certain way, I am developing a good knowledge base on how my camera works and I remember things better than if I were just told to set 'x' to 'y' and be done with it.

The book also comes with a handy laminated "quick reference card" that can be kept in your camera bag if you don't want to carry the entire book with you.

I would give this book 5 stars if the images were in color.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be the first thing you buy for the camera!, August 30, 2009
We are in agreement with reviews by Everardo, M. Alford and "Marianne", this book goes well beyond the manual that comes with the camera package. Although we have not read the entire book yet, we have learned some neat tips and tricks related to obtaining the best possible photos from our Canon Rebel XSi. Without the manual, we would not have released some of the powerful features and could have possibly blamed poor photos (in specific situations) on the camera itself. The camera is a tool, understanding the tool aids in the process of using it correctly and obtaining the desired results.

If you want to learn more about digital photography or even the proper way to use your digital camera, we encourage purchasing the Magic Lantern Guide for your respective camera. The guide is money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning what your camera can do, May 24, 2009
Wow! This book is worth every cent I paid for it. I am a newbie to DSLR cameras & this book tells it all. It take you from basics to advanced in a comprehensible language. I also like the laminated wallet card for reference when you are out & the book is at home. The instruction book that comes with the camera is nothing compared to this guide. This book came highly recommended to me by professional photographers & I am so grateful for their help in finding the right book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good technical overview, May 16, 2010
G Young (Shingle Springs, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a good technical overview of how each and all of the various features and functions operates for the Canon Rebel XSi. The camera does a lot so there is a lot to review in this book. I had to take it in small sections at a time - sometime just several pages a day. I would read/study then use the camera to see what the author was saying - turning what I had learned into actual use of the camera.

My only complaint is that in most of those cases where I as the novice operator of the camera needed to make a decision regarding a particular setting or adjustment, I often had no idea what setting to select even though the book had effectively covered what all of the choices meant and how to select.

I found that the "Dummy" book covering the XSi that I had purchased at the same time as this book was a better source for such information as the author of that book would recommend a certain setting or adjustment to use as a beginner and then change it later to suit personal taste.

The two books made good companions in learning this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars It should have come with the camera, October 10, 2008
Everardo (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
Really like this book, very helpful diagrams and explanations, it really should have come with the camera. My only complaint is that I would have liked color images in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Graet book for the money, November 13, 2010
If you are just getting started and want to know the ins and outs of your camera this is the book to have. I have been taking digital pictures for 10 years now and there is always more to learn and this helps in the learning process of your camera and your ability to take quality pictures in all kinds of sititations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic Lantern Guide: Canon EOS Rebel Xsi, December 18, 2009
S. Klassen (Aberdeen, Idaho) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me by a friend who is a professional photographer. I have found it to be very helpful and clearly understood. Instead of reading it from cover to cover, I pick it up and browse, learning a lot of information for the process I am working with. It would be nice to have color photos included instead of black and white, but not necessary to understand the details. It's a great little book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magic Lantern Rebel Sx1 guide, May 9, 2009
vitanova (Delanco, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
Fine book, helpful but for some photos, especially use guides, color would be very helpful, The major weak point is lack of color which would give this book 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic Lantern - EOS REbel XSi Manual ROCKS!!!, January 28, 2009
This is one of the BEST manuals I have ever read!!!!

Very detailed and informative!

Well worth the $16+ cost!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, April 2, 2014
I've done year's of photography, black and white and color. Started with film and now the digital age. I learned on my own on how to work the film and the camera, The book is fine for what it is. My new Cannon manual was in "French" (go figure) so I bought this, because I have always believed in instruction manual/books and this dose the job..............Now go use your camera and find out how you like your pictures.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x950b48a0)

Magic Lantern Guides®: Canon EOS Rebel XSi EOS 450D
Magic Lantern Guides®: Canon EOS Rebel XSi EOS 450D by Michael A. Guncheon (Paperback - September 2, 2008)
Used & New from: $2.74