1,923 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Charms galore
I first saw this movie trailer when I saw Haywire. I did not really know who Channing Tatum was(dumb me), let alone he was in Haywire. I thought a male stripper movie. I have seen my share of male strippers and if it was going to be like watching the Chippendales, I thought how boring. Well it came out and it was going strong at the theater in July so what the hell, I...
Published on September 17, 2012 by Claudette Adler

3.0 out of 5 stars Love love love me some Channing Tatum...and the dancing gets 10 stars, but...
This movie is AWFUL. Seriously, just bad. I saw it in the theater AND I pre-ordered the DVD/BluRay/Ultraviolet combo. So why would I want to own a movie I already knew was bad? Can you say Channing Tatum bumping and grinding on the dance floor? Channing Tatum is at his luscious best in this film as far as his dancing and body, but it's like he totally forgot how to...
Published on October 25, 2012 by K. Eastman

5.0 out of 5 stars SEXY BABY!, September 3, 2012
This review is from: Magic Mike (DVD+UltraViolet Digital Copy) (DVD)
Hell yeah baby, finally us ladies get some Mancandy to watch on the big-screen!!! Within the first five minutes of the movie you get to see Channing Tatum strut-around butt-ass naked! You get several more clear snap shots of that nice rear end several times throughout the movie. Of course when he is doing a strip routine in a thong. But hey that's ok. I never watched any of the Step-Up movies so I had no clue Channing Tatum could move. The boy can dance! But besides the hot naked Bods you get to see for most of the movie (Thank Goodness), it does tell a story of a man who wants to further himself in life and seemingly leave his wild ways behind him. The movie also shows how life in the fast line could lead to self-destruction as Alex Pettyfer's character depicts. Men should watch it too. Dont be haters!

3.0 out of 5 stars could have been better, September 7, 2012
Gabriele Dumble (Lewisville, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
The moves were really good. The bodies were great. The music was good. The acting was good. The weak point of the movie was the storyline. It was a good story, but could have been told better. These actors are able do a really good job when they have a good script. I was glad I saw it at the discount theater.

3.0 out of 5 stars Special features, October 23, 2012
To add on to the numerous complaints that the DVD version does not have the bonus features stated, the blu-ray only version ALSO DOES NOT have the bonus features. It looks like the features may only be on the combo pack, if that. The blu-ray-only version only has a super short behind the scenes featurette (like 6 minutes), and not the dance moves that I was sooo looking forward to. The movie itself is ok, but lets face it ladies, who cares about the plot line when hot guys are stripping for us in the privacy of our homes!

3.0 out of 5 stars kind of boring, November 26, 2012
This movie lacked plot, although the view was nice!!! I wish they would have developed the characters relationships further, but I guess that's not what some people were looking for in the movie!

4.0 out of 5 stars This movie would be be nothing without Channing..., October 3, 2012
This review is from: Magic Mike (DVD+UltraViolet Digital Copy) (DVD)
I saw this movie because like most women on this planet, I like to see sexy men onscreen and fantasize about them. I saw this movie twice in theaters and there was only one reason: Channing Tatum. Without him, this movie wouldn't have even mattered. The plot was horrible, but what was even worse was the actress playing Channing's love interest. Her acting was so horrible that it honestly ruined the majority of the movie for me. Her phony laugh and amateur dialogue literally made me cringe. I really wish they would have chosen someone else. Other than that, Channing's sexiness definitely makes up for it all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, Predictable, Silly, November 22, 2012
This review is from: Magic Mike (Amazon Instant Video)
As I said in my title, this was one of the most boring, predictable and silly movies I have seen this year. I was so looking forward to an interesting, thought provoking , sexy and romantic story (and a little beefcake) and all I got was semi-beefcake! I almost feel out of my chair laughing at the scene when they are all in a line dance shaking their butts in our faces. Can you say unset jello? Donkey kicks should have been done before that sequence...and a LOT of them!!!

This movie didn't even appear to have been scripted. I cannot beleive that what they call a plot was pushed as something that was written down and rehearsed. And don't get me started about Matthew McConaughey - in a part that an actor of his standing should have thought twice about - unless all he wanted to prove was that he had a skinny body and no dancing ability.

This was filmed in of course bars, so don't expect to be able to see things very clearly, be prepared to miss most of the 'action'.

I admit that it has been a few years since I've been to a club like this so maybe routines have gotten a LOT cruder than a couple of years ago, or maybe it is the part of the country I'm in, but some of these routines had nothing to do with titillating a group of women as a whole, and is merely about performing the sex act on stage in the crudest manner possible.

Do not waste you money on this like I did. I beg you!

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST ACTING/STORY EVER, November 24, 2012
This review is from: Magic Mike (Amazon Instant Video)
Acting was beyond awful.Not that I expected much but with all the hype and actors who have somewhat decent reputations I thought there might be some "surprise" to it..it was horrible! The story itself was lame,predictable,lame,slow,boring should I continue? But the acting...will give Channing Tatum credit considering his talent....he was the best actor in the film. Mathew gave his good"southern dude swagger" same one he does in beef commercials and ...well everything else. The girl(?name) sister of Alix P character was possibly the worst acting ever...I thought there was something wrong with the streaming her timimng was so off...says something about the director there too..too bad I wasted $4 and a few hours of my life for this.
How did this get so much press? Makes Ben Afflecs Gili look good

4.0 out of 5 stars is the blu-ray worth it?, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Magic Mike (DVD+UltraViolet Digital Copy) (DVD)
I loved the movie, for all the reasons everyone already listed (super hot man candy, sexy dance moves, acceptable plot), so I won't beat that dead horse. I just wanted to throw some info out there about the blu-ray extras.

* Extended Dance Scenes
This is the whole reason I bought the blu-ray combo pack. I was super excited when I first started playing it; I thought it was going to be an extended scene for every guy. Imagine my disappointment when it ended after only three.
Joseph Manganiello in gold body paint: That little gold thong has to be stuffed. There's no way it's that big. That would be scary.
Matt Bomer as Ken Doll: This was so great, it almost makes up for the lack of more extras.
Adam Rodriguez as Navy Man: Meh. This one didn't do much for me. It was a lot shorter than the others, he didn't interact much with the audience, and pretty much ran off stage after getting down to his thong.

* Dances Only Option
I forget what they actually called this option, but basically if you select this, it skips directly to all the dance sequences. I have a feeling I might wear this one out.

* The Making of Magic Mike
This was interesting if too short. You got to see some different parts of the dance sequences than were in either the movie or the extended scenes. Also the actors talking about the dancing, and some fun behind the scenes stuff.

That was really it for the extras. Kind of disappointing, but I like the movie enough that I don't care that much. And the blu-ray looked gorgeous on my TV, especially the Raining Men sequence.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a Little Bit More Magic, October 18, 2013
Tsuyoshi (Kyoto, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic Mike (DVD+UltraViolet Digital Copy) (DVD)
"Magic Mike" is directed by Steven Soderbergh, one of the most critically acclaimed directors in recent years. The film deals with the world of male stripping, with a story that is, it is reported, loosely based on the life of the star Channing Tatum. This is interesting, I thought, and yes, the dancing part is pretty impressive, but the rest of the film seems too slow-paced and low-keyed for me to be really interested, except the comic relief from over-the-top Matthew McConaughey.

The story is about "Magic Mike," a dancer (played by effective Channing Tatum) at Xquisite Strip Club in Tampa, dreaming of becoming a furniture designer. Mike befriends and takes aimless Adam (Alex Pettyfer) under his wing, and as it turns out, Adam, or The Kid, quickly gets accustomed to the new lifestyle. In the meanwhile, Mike gets acquainted with Adam's concerned sister Brooke (Cody Horn).

There is a stark contrast between the ways in which the dancers' on-stage routine and off-stage life are described. One is full of loud music and well-choreographed dancing, while the other is quiet, drab and dull. I would even say too dull, because despite the interesting character of Mike and the realistic descriptions of the backstage, most characters are just cyphers. We are never allowed to know these dancers, and as to the main story of Mike, Adam and Brooke, well, I think I have seen it somewhere before.

"Magic Mike" is a missed opportunity, a film that could have been much emotionally involving with someone other than Soderbergh as director, who tends to be too self-conscious. I think I know his style, and I respect that. The film is sensitively and intelligently directed, but I think a little bit of more emotion would be welcome sometimes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than One or Two Stars, October 16, 2012
Josie (north central AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic Mike (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
There are people giving this bad feedback. It was never meant to qualify for an Oscar. It was meant for fun, mostly for women, and it definitely delivers. I saw it twice and enjoyed it both times. Can hardly wait for the Blu-ray to come out so I can see the complete dances. Women never get movies made for them, but men always do. Ignore the low feedback reviews and rent the movie if you want to see it, but be sure to rent the Blu-ray copy. That's the one that's going to be the most fun. Personally, I want this around so I can drool any time I want to...some gorgeous men in there.

Magic Mike (DVD+UltraViolet Digital Copy)
Magic Mike (DVD+UltraViolet Digital Copy) by Steven Soderbergh (DVD - 2012)
$11.98 $6.99