Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Magic Pickle Graphic Novel
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

89%
11%
Format: Paperback|Change

on February 19, 2011
My 6 year old (strong reader) was home sick one day. She saw this book that I had brought from the library. Picked it up and did not stop until she was done. She loves to read and reads all the time but rarely does she do that with a book. Also, she is requesting all the sequels and can't wait to go to the book store to get them (as our library doesn't have). They were recommended to me highly by an 8 year old boy.
I should begin this review by being straight with you. I am not an impartial reader of this book. There have been times, more in my life than I can count, when I have craved a dill pickle spear. I admit it. The cat is officially out of the bad. I love pickles and I'm not ashamed of the fact. And magic pickles do sound tasty. On the other hand, I'm also a picky graphic novel reader. There's so much tripe out there being produced for kids these days that anytime I get handed a new children's GN my immediate reaction is to cringe. And "Magic Pickle", for all its myriad charms, didn't necessarily look like something I might enjoy. Still, I gamely plucked it up and found to my surprise that not only is it readable and fun, I also detect a sly understated wit at work here. As understated as scientifically advanced super veggies can be, anyway. Since big green superheroes tend to be of the "Hulk, smash!" variety, I suggest you take a moment out of your day to try your hand at a smaller equally green superhero, unafraid of villainous produce or footie pajamas.

His origins are super secret . . . or at least they were until he crashed through the bedroom floor of little Jo Jo Wigman. The heroic product of a scientist's lunch and some particle confabulation, the pickle Weapon Kosher fights for truth, justice, yadda yadda yadda. Unfortunately, for every dill yin there's a rotten yang to contend with. The Brotherhood of Evil Produce has just come out of hiding after more than 50 years, and that means that it's time for the cryogenically frozen pickle to get back to serving justice. Of course, his lab is now located directly under the floor of young Jo Jo Wigman and she is NOT going to be kept out of the action. Jo Jo is fighting her own battles with the mean girl at school and it's possible that the pickle might be just the answer she's been looking for.

Morse's drawing style is this elastic, energetic series of shifting panels and inserts. Images are constantly overlapping or going panel-less for maximum effect. You might not recognize it on a first reading, but Morse is doing some pretty fancy footwork with this story. For example, when Jo Jo starts spinning a crazy story about how she is wearing her pajamas at the bus stop because it's the latest style and she's coming from a swank party, her backgrounds alternate between starbursts, swirls, and a kind of eclectic cut paper effect. Morse doesn't have to do this, y'know. In fact, it's much easier to just draw boxes and put people in them without all the subconscious imagery. Easier, but less thrilling in the long run. The book doesn't actually tell you who has done the coloring for this title, which is as pity. I don't know that we can assume that Morse does his own, since that's not always the job of the artist proper. If he IS the person responsible, though, then I doff my cap to him because the colors in this book are right proper.

My boss handed me this book with the note that it was hard to get around the name "The Romaine Gladiator". So consider this your warning: If you have a low tolerance for fruit and veggie nomenclature and tomfoolery, best to avoid this puppy. I, for my part, was kind of charmed by Morse's selections. Tell me you're not just the slightest bit taken with these names from The Brotherhood of Evil Produce: Phantom Carrot, Squish Squash, Peashooter, and Chili Chili Bang Bang. Even as you read them you can see how this book will benefit from being read aloud. My own dad used to read us comic books sometimes when I was a kid, and I'm sure there will be many a young lad and lass who will enjoy hearing the sound of the pickle's adventures.

Morse's dialogue sort of sealed the deal for me, though. Weapon Kosher is a very Captain America kind of speaker. If he had a chin, it would be cleft. Jo Jo, on the other hand, is very much a smart alecky kid. In their first exchange, Kosher initially accuses Jo Jo of being "an agent of evil." Her retort is a pointed, "Are you serious? I'm wearing footsie jimmies here." Of course, Jo Jo's cool head made it a bit difficult to believe that she really felt any suffering at the hands of the school's Queen Bee, Lu Lu Deederly. You never see Jo Jo all that downtrodden after an exchange. Not that I really minded, but it meant that she didn't have much of a story of her own to pair alongside Kosher's escapades.

Still, as new graphic novel series go, this one's a keeper. Even the requisite bad puns actually come off as funny (a near impossibility when you get right down to it). I may have had my fill of superhero graphic novels, but if you combine that old standard with the ingredients of a salad, the result is magic. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for future pickle adventures to come.
on March 25, 2014
I would recommend this book. I buy my kids tons of graphic novels to encourage reading since English is not their first language. This book is a good one and I would also recommend the magic pickle books which are not graphic novels.
on April 22, 2011
You can't miss a flying pickle with arms! this graphic novel was entertaining from the first page all the way to the very last page, it seemed a little short for my taste but I enjoyed the creativity, humor, and action, and I loved all the goofy villains.
I normally don't read very many graphic novels and I'm really not a fan of pickles when it comes to eating them but I am definitely a fan of 'Magic Pickle' and I look foreword to reading more of his adventures!
It's a great book and I'd recommend it to anyone.
on August 27, 2014
Magic Pickle

A review by Ryan, Age 8.

Magic Pickle is a really good book. It has a magic pickle named Weapon Kosher that lives under a girl’s room. His purpose? He’s supposed to capture evil vegetables named The Phantom Carrot, Chili Chili Bang Bang, Peashooter, Squish Squash, and the Romaine Gladiator.

Oh, and let me tell you, READ IT!! NOW!!
on January 31, 2010
We actually bought this book to replace a library copy our daughter had lost. What can I say, it is a "gaphic novel" what in my day we would have called a comic book, about a Superhero pickle (?) A lot of color panels, many "Pow" "smash" and Kerpows"! Our 9 year old liked it, and if it can get a kid to read, that is a plus. Have them set down the Nintendo and pick up the Magic Pickle!
on November 10, 2015
Captivating! With both a female and dill protagonist there is someone for everyone to identify with.
on April 19, 2016
My grandson LOVED these books. He read them as fast as he got them.
on January 31, 2016