Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I am a very shy person by nature and like a lot of other people out there I occasionally have to speak in public for my job. I decided to try to read up on some public speaking techniques to calm my nerves when I came across Magic of Public Speaking: A Complete System to Become a World Class Speaker. I picked the Magic of Public Speaking because the author also had a fear of public speaking, so I figured I would find some tips to calm my nerves during public speaking.

This book had a lot of really good tips for public speakers. Things like ways to not bore an audience, ways to calm nerves before speaking, and how to create a speech. I like that the author gives practical tips for making public speaking easier. Not handing out flyers during speech or not eating too much right before speech. I liked these tips because they help calm my overactive mind before, during and after I give a speech.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants great tips for being a better public speaker. Even if you are not a coward like me, and you have a lot of public speaking experience, this book has something to offer for you.
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Public speaking has also been a weakness of mine, and lately I have had to do more or it. I read this book with interest, to see if I could garner a tip or two, and was thrilled with the amount of and quality of information presented. The author goes through public speaking from the beginning, your attitude towards it, to the end, when you put all the tips together.

He explains exactly how he puts his speeches together, including several example speeches, and why he is doing thing the way he does. He also explains what not to do with the same detail.

All in all, this is a good resource if you are looking to improve your public speaking ability.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
First and foremost, the author comes across very genuine, real, down-to-earth. He shares three speeches in the beginning and I immediately saw what he was saying. I found myself smiling wide, knowing that this guy knew what he was talking about. And, I quickly realized he was warming the reader (me) up for the content to come. When you do that...people LISTEN.

This system is unlike I've any I've ever heard of before. And, to be honest, it is not the first publication I have read about giving speeches. Right off the bat, Mr. Sedniev is covering little golden nuggets about being hungry and some clever insight about seating arrangements. I don't want to spoil anything, but the whole seating thing is GOLD.

I don't want to give away too much...but this book reads more like a story than a
"guidebook." Broken off into small, 'digestible' segments, each one have realistic
examples, that you feel what is being said; the nuggets of information seared into your mind. Why? Mr. Sedniev cleverly uses the emotional triggers throughout the book so you feel, smell, hear and completely grasp the content. Why does that matter? Because it sticks in your memory and becomes comfortable, reliable information.

Mr. Sedniev's BIGGEST secret is exactly what he uses to present this information. If you understand that, you will not only ENJOY reading this book, but look forward to the art of public speaking. It's not about reciting words off of index cards.

In this book, you are taught everything from knowing who your audience should be, on to how to captivate and engage them with what you have to offer all the way to getting them to interact with you and ask questions. He covers the logistics of your speech and how to work each aspect together effectively. It is a full system that anyone can implement with their own personality.

Near the end, Mr. Sedniev revisits the stories from the beginning and shows you how and why those speeches were as effective as they were, referencing the previously explained material. You can clearly see how he uses the exact system in the examples.

WELL DONE! Highly recommend this book for public speaking and even writers as
well!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
The Magic of Public Speaking by Andrii Sedniev is the must-have book for public speakers, including people in sales and people in the ministry. I've done a fair amount of public speaking, both to small groups and to audiences of up to 2,000, so I was very interested to see what Andrii had to offer. As it turns out, he has an abundance of gems to offer--for both the novice and experienced speaker.

He addresses the most common concerns:

* How to prevent your speech from sounding like a boring report. (You don't want people opening up their laptops and checking their emails, do you?!)

* How to engage the audience so that they're emotionally involved. (Extremely important in both sales and ministry settings.)

* How to get past the fear and harness the energy in your favor.

We've all heard masterful, mesmerizing speakers. Andrii opens up the vault and shares their insider secrets, including how to create a speech so that you will remember everything you want to say without a need for notes or papers. How and when to incorporate stories. The best way to manage eye contract. And, how to use gestures and body language like a pro.

Why are gestures and body language important? Because studies have shown that only 7% of information is conveyed verbally, and 93% is conveyed non-verbally. If you concentrate only on your words, you will control only 7%. But when you learn to master the stage, including body and gestures, you will control 100% of the information you convey.

Andrii explains why you should never end with a Q & A session. Never ask, "Are there any questions?" (He tells you what to say instead in order to elicit the audience participation you desire.)

We've all been bored to death with Power Point presentations. The Magic of Public Speaking explains how to use PP the right way so that it enhances your speech, not upstages it.

Have you ever wondered how many points you can effectively include in a speech? The time-to-point ratio is included. Then he explains how to structure each point.

If you're getting the idea that this is a complete, thorough system for world class speaking, you're right. He even reveals dirty tricks and tactics some unscrupulous speakers use in order to manipulate their audiences--with a warning to stay away from that. I respect Andrii for his integrity.

Andrii Sedniev holds an MBA degree. His methods are based on research from the top 1,000 speakers in the modern world. The techniques he teaches have been tested and proven to work by hundreds of professional speakers.

Like all self-published books I've read, this one contains the random typo, misspelling, and awkward English sentence structure. But none of that detracts or confuses his message, so I feel it's only right to give grace in that area. Therefore, I did not any Amazon deduct stars.

All in all, I love this book. By studying it and doing some practice (yes, he even tells you the best ways to practice your speech), anyone can become a world class public speaker.
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Very simple and easy things to implement that work. There is a lot of description and explanation, which I find comforting, but the strategies were easy to start to utilize and already helped me with a presentation at work. Thanks.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Kindle Edition
As one who has done a lot of public speaking over the years, I am critical of the many guides out there on this subject, many of which are either dry and technical, or gimmicky and full of fluffy advice. Mr. Sedniev, however, combines solid, practical guidelines in a very entertaining and accessible manner. I particularly value his insights on setting, content and delivery, but especially his focus on storytelling as an effective delivery mechanism. He doesn't overlook the practical tips, such as maintaining eye contact and avoiding meaningless words. But it's his stress on how to connect with the audience that makes "Magic of Public Speaking" particularly valuable. Of course, after studying this guide, the prospective speaker really needs to get out there and practice the craft and learn to be comfortable before an audience. I highly recommend this well-written and engaging guide to those who either are just starting out or wish to improve on their public speaking skills.
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This was very useful when I was putting a speech together for a group at work. The author explains a lot of the do's and don'ts, and gives good reasons why not to. For instance, we all hear about starting with a joke. The author maintains that joke telling as a start is a bad idea. If the joke works, you are off and running, but if it doesn't you are sunk and might not recover.

The author also gives his biography at the beginning of the book, so we know he is someone who had developed and used the skills he writes about, so he is someone we can learn from.

This helped me and will be a valuable reference for me in the future.
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
In this book, Andrii Sedniev points out a lot on how to get an engaged audience. For someone who speaks to large audiences more often that she would like to (yes i am talking about myself), this is a must-have book. I have read countless books on public speaking but this one is different. It is highly comprehensive and fun to read. Who would have thought that little things such as being a little hungry before a speech would boost one's performance on stage? As Andrii Sedniev states "Speak just a little hungry -- you will be at the peak of your energy and you will perform your best on stage"... no wonder I am always sluggish during my speaking engagements... I have this tendency to scarf down my belly butterflies.

Beginner and advanced public speakers a like, will pick up a lot of useful information inside this book. For example, I just learned that some common practices in public speaking can actually kill my speech. I would have never guessed!

In summary, I am extremely happy with this book. It's a rare find! It is definitely a 5 out of 5!
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
As someone who has made many speeches in public settings, I took a chance that this book might be an asset in the future. I believe after reading that I hit a home run with this purchase.

"Magic of Public Speaking" is a step by step guide for becoming a successful and respected public speaker. Included are actual sample speeches and an amazing array of wealth and knowledge including things like using pauses, eye contact and non verbal signals.

The author who appears to be quite a success story himself, has written a winner here. I strongly advise picking this one up.
on November 3, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Wonderfully written advice and tips for public speaking. I enjoyed the stories told, and benefitted from the techniques described. I read this book because I am in the middle of a career change, resumes, interviews, cover letters and all that goes with it. I felt I needed something more in my interviews. This book helped me overcome my nervousness while speaking with potential employers, and gave me more confidence in my answers! I would recommend this book to anyone!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations