Magical Mystery Tour [Blu-ray]
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Original Film restored Running time 53 minutes
8 page booklet
Packaged in an amaray case
+ SPECIAL FEATURES
Director's Commentary by Paul McCartney
The Making of Magical Mystery Tour (19:05)
- Features interviews with Paul and Ringo, along with other cast members and crew. Includes unseen footage.
Ringo the actor (2:30)
- Ringo reflecting on his role in the film.
Meet The Supporting Cast (11:27)
- A feature on the background and careers of Nat Jackley, Jessie Robins, Ivor Cutler, The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Victor Spinetti, George Claydon, and Derek Royle.
'Your Mother Should Know' (2:35)
'Blue Jay Way' (3:53)
'The Fool On The Hill' (3:05)
- Three new edits of these performances all featuring footage not seen in the original film.
'Hello Goodbye' (3:24), as featured in Top of the Pops 1967
- The Beatles allowed the BBC to film them in the edit suite where they were working on Magical Mystery Tour. This was then turned into a promo by the BBC, who shot their own additional footage. It was then broadcast on Top of the Pops to mark the 'Hello Goodbye' single going to No 1 in December 1967.
Nat's Dream (2:50)
- A scene directed by John featuring Nat Jackley. Not included in the original film.
Ivor Cutler 'I'm Going In A Field' (2:35)
- Ivor performs 'I'm Going In A Field', in a field. Not included in the original film.
Traffic 'Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush' (1:53)
- The filming of Traffic acting out their 1967 hit single 'Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush' was commissioned by The Beatles for possible inclusion in Magical Mystery Tour but was not used in the final edit.
Aspect ratio - 1.33:1
Frame rate - 1080i 59.94
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Dolby Digital 5.1
PCM stereo for Blu-Ray
Subtitle language options for feature, extras and commentary:
In September 1967 The Beatles embarked on making their third film, this time conceived and directed by themselves.
Based on a loose unscripted narrative, in the spirit of the experimental mood of the time, and directed by The Beatles themselves, the film became the vehicle to present 6 new songs - Magical Mystery Tour, The Fool On The Hill, Flying, I Am The Walrus, Blue Jay Way and Your Mother Should Know.
Now, 45 years on, the virtually forgotten film has been fully restored and is being presented properly for the first time.
The restoration of Magical Mystery Tour has been overseen by Paul Rutan Jr. of Eque Inc., the same company that handled the much acclaimed restoration of Yellow Submarine. The soundtrack work was done at Abbey Road Studios by Giles Martin and Sam Okell.
All of the packages contain a host of special features, packed with unseen footage. There are newly-filmed interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and other members of the film's cast and crew, as well as a director's audio commentary recorded by Paul.
Top Customer Reviews
Nevertheless, the casual viewer will probably be quite bewildered by this goofy curio of psychedelia. It has no script, no plot, and no acting to speak of. So, if you've never seen it, go in with LOW expectations. First off, understand that this is not a Beatles feature film. It was originally presented as a one-hour Beatles TV special, nothing more. The first viewing is apt to disappoint; but repeat viewing are apt to be rewarded. It is not a "good" film (in fact it is a "bad" film). But it is imaginative and energetic, it has its moments and it's Beatles!
For Beatles fans this lavish-attention release of MMT is way more than welcome! For the first time, we'll be able to see it in better than "bootleg" quality, much better! Just to hear the songs in remastered/remixed uncompressed (!) surround sound is reason enough to celebrate. Then there are the many extras and intriguing aspects (extra scenes? Songs "re-edited"?). I can't wait!!
Addendum: Having now experienced the blu ray, I like Magical Mystery Tour even more than before. It has a hip quality. It moves fast. The songs, of course, are great; and the accompanying videos are equal to anything M-TV would produce. The greatly improved picture and sound lift the film up a notch or two. Now that it sounds good, even the incidental music contributes.Read more ›
In America, both ABC and NBC withdrew their bids for a network broadcast of MMT; the film made its U.S. debut at New York's Fillmore East a few months later as part of a fundraising concert. Over the years, Apple rented the film to colleges and indie movie theaters. The film did not appear on American TV until it was syndicated in 1985, which was where I saw it for the first time. A few poor-quality VHS tapes appeared in the early-to-mid-1980s, but the first proper video release was in 1988, when Apple and MPI Home Video released an official VHS tape, with a restored soundtrack by George Martin.
In 1997, MPI released the film on DVD; I own The Beatles DVD Collector's Set that was released in 2000, which contains the original MPI DVD versions of MMT, HELP, THE FIRST U.S.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
While some great music came from this movie. The movie itself sucked. Although I will watch it again. Then again and again after that. I know, I must be on drugs...lolPublished 11 days ago by Amazon Customer
Great shipping and great enjoyable movie. Brings me back to my youth.Published 1 month ago by Progger Mama
An attempt at what I would call 'Monty Python' style humor. I do believe it was a Paul McCartney idea. To me, that is why I don't like it. He's a control freak. Read morePublished 3 months ago by elbon44
What is it?
Experimental, self-indulgent, musical fantasia.
Artists portraits and self-portraits do not necessarily always work. Read more
|Topic||From this Discussion|
|MMT Collectors' Edition||
It's $89.95 in The Beatles store. Hopefully, amazon will have too...and a little cheaper.
Aug 22, 2012 by morpheus57 | See all 4 posts
|Won't play on Panasonic DMP-BD60||
Same problem with Chronicle. No solution.
Jul 23, 2013 by Redenstein | See all 2 posts
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > TV
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials
- Movies & TV > TV