4.0 out of 5 stars Better fuel economy, but started buzzing within a few days
NB: At least one vendor on Amazon didn't post the right photo for this item. MagnaFlow 23453 is a complete replacement Y-pipe including both left and right side cats for late 90's GM pickups and full-size SUVs.

Published on August 13, 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars this thing does not fit and is of shotty worksmanship
Published 17 months ago by michael olson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Better fuel economy, but started buzzing within a few days, August 13, 2011
This review is from: Magnaflow 23453 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter (Non CARB compliant) (Automotive)

I bought this part from a source outside Amazon and installed it a week ago. I'm using it on a 1999 4WD Yukon with the stock muffler and it replaced the stock cats, one of which was causing a cat monitor fault due to an injection problem fixed last year. Here's some immediate feedback.

FIT
It fit perfectly. No problems here. You will need to buy your own gaskets and replacement nuts & studs that probably are irreparably corroded. They don't come with the cat, but I'm not aware of any that do.

SOUND
It sounds just slightly louder than before, sounding a little throatier than before, especially when it's started. A ticking sound comes through under load, most likely due to its thinner stainless construction. Regardless, the ticking isn't terrible, and it otherwise sounds a bit better than stock, and is not obnoxious in any way.

PERFORMANCE
I don't have objective numbers to back it up, but it seems to be running a bit smoother than before and pulls a little better. It's just a slight difference, and just a seat of the pants feel, but with almost 150k miles on my truck, I'm sensitive to how it drives.

FUEL ECONOMY
Driving to/from work this week, my usual 14.5 - 14.6 MPG came up to 14.9. Just got back from a highway trip, a little over 3 hrs each way. Best previous recording was 19.25 MPG, but just got 20.1, and that was with intermittent rain and the a/c on.

CONS
It already started buzzing. Does it only when it's not fully hot. Once it warms up, it stops with very few exceptions. Haven't had a chance to get underneath and see whether it's just one of the heat shields or it's internal. Hopefully it's just a matter of tack welding a heat shield. But I double-checked the cat monitor PIDs, and both banks are rock solid just under 0.1 volt.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
Especially when I factor in the price, I'm pretty happy with this. A few hundred for this is little compared to a thousand or more for a stock replacement part. I'm disappointed with the buzzing, but if it's just a heat shield, it's not a big deal. If it's the internal substrate, it's a serious problem that warrants a replacement. If this turns out to be the case, I'll update this review; otherwise, I'd definitely recommend this part to a friend.

Mar 16, 2012 update: Did not find a loose heat shield. Initial buzzing was internal but stopped within a month of when it started and hasn't come back. Have had no other problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars this thing does not fit and is of shotty worksmanship, September 18, 2013
i went to replace the front y assembly on my 1999 gmc suburban only to have this replacement part to have an an even and wavy flange causing a leak in two spots and its too dang short causing my whole rear exhaust assembly to have to shift forward and stretch the rubber mounts. what sucks about this is i cannot return item as i had to open it to even see if it will work and then i had to bend some heat shielding on one cat so it would fit as well. it dd come with gaskets but no mounting bolts for the flange. i am going to see if they can help me on rectifying the situation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy from AutoPartsWAY!!, June 4, 2012
I was very happy with this product until it broke only 6 months after I recieved it! It was not my wrong doing, the weld simply broke behind the inner cat. I understand there has to be some lemons in any bunch so I tried to return it. I was very unhappy and when I tried to return it to AutoPartsWAY they were very unhelpful and not understanding.I had to send and recieve at least 5 emails just to get conformation that I could return the part. It was very annoying to wait on emails and conformation. They also refused to change my address because I ordered to through amazon. In order for me to get this part sent to my address I have to buy a new one and wait for them to reimburse me. Do not order this part from AutoPartsWAY! Very unhappy that the part broke but more unhappy with the horrible customer service of AutoPartsWAY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice aftermarket option, June 23, 2013
Bought this for my 99 Tahoe 4x4 and it solved my problem with the P0430 DTC. Kit comes in two pieces which really helped with the install. The converters sit much closer together compared to the stock setup and I had to trim a 3/8 inch piece off the corner of one of the cats to allow it to fully slide in but after that it was a perfect fit. Overall not a big deal, anyone who has installed their share of aftermarket accessories knows "direct fit" rarely is. All the gaskets needed for the install are included with the kit so the only extras needed are 3 sets of nuts and bolts to connect to the rear exhaust flange.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's that buzzing sound?, November 24, 2013
Very Noisy. GMC doesn't make OEM converters for my '97 Sierra so I had to buy an aftermarket. Read a lot of reviews and most said aftermarkets were noisy. Figured I had no choice, but opted for a good brand figuring I'd improve my chances of getting a quiet one. I think I got the most annoying one Magnaflow made. It was a little tricky to install-not a perfect alignment, but I got it in. If it wasn't so tricky to remove and replace, I would have returned it to Magnaflow/Amazon. You can hear the baffles respond to the harmonics coming from the engine or transmission. It sounds like the vehicle is in distress. I would like to know if anything can be done to the converter to dampen the harmonics? Magnaflow should be on top of this problem in their manufacturing and design areas. I changed cats because my engine light came on at 220k indicating a converter problem. I hoped to get better gas mileage, but these new cats haven't improved it so far.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rattles profusely, June 21, 2013
This product looked great out of the package and install relatively easily. However, after about 2k miles I heard this rattling and assumed it was the heat shields. So I removed them (they are only spot welded on) only to find the rattling was coming from the internal materials inside the cats. At this point my truck is now throwing catalyst efficiency codes because whatever honeycomb is inside is now blocking the exhaust exits. I had hoped with a reputable name like Magnaflow, I would get a quality product. I only gave it 2 stars because of installation ease.

2.0 out of 5 stars wouldn't say direct fit exactly, March 14, 2013
Bought this for my truck, my truck has a 4 inch lift and the stock exhaust worked fine. This part puts the d/s down pipe directly in the way of the front driveshaft. Will have to have the part modified to fit properly so I can reinstall front drive shaft. Not very happy about spending all this money to have to modify the part, could have just gone to the muffler shop to begin with...

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS ON AMAZON !!, January 27, 2014
Let me start by saying it isn't Amazons fault..I bought my first muffler on line through amazon. After 8 months it cracked. I had to buy a new one from the company I ordered through so I could send the first one back and get the warranty. It cost me $130 to ship the dang thing back. Then it took 3 MONTHS to get my money back!!! Soo it has been 8 months and I found another crack today. I called Magnaflow and s/w a nice guy who helped me. I leave on a 3 week vacation in 5 days. He told me to go to O rielys auto parts to see how soon they could get the muffler. I live in a very small town, Moab Ut and AMAZING!! they had it in stock!! I bought it...So now I have to spend $130 again to send this crap back to get a warranty. 3 mufflers in 1 1/2 years??? Soo good side is if I bought it from O rielys to begin with. ( $30 more than through Amazon) I'd be $230 richer, 8 more hrs to spend how I wanted too and O rielys has a no ask return policy. No $130 to ship..they just get you a new one.. Simple- check your local part stores first. Way less warranty head ache... BTY it fits well and was easy to put on.. 3rd time around, I should be a pro!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality exhaust and catalytic converters, July 3, 2014
Darren A. "Darren" (Anaheim, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
Bought em almost 3yrs ago. No buzzing that some of you mentioned, good quality exhaust and catalytic converters. Easy to install, I did it myself with basic tools.

4.0 out of 5 stars works, April 10, 2014
2 part unit is easier to install than standard one piece, but I don't know yet how this effects performance or durability.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›