4.0 out of 5 stars Mainly a description of DVD 'play'
Published on August 2, 2010 by Frugal Bargain Hunter

We ordered this in October and gave it to my son in December for his birthday. He started watching a movie and all worked well.
The next morning, he started his movie again, and the player would not turn on, power up, etc. Because we ordered it so far ahead of his birthday,
Published on January 27, 2011 by John

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: this will break and you won't get help from manufacturer, January 27, 2011
John (Bishop, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magnasonic MAG-MDVD500 Portable CD/DVD Player Boombox with 7" Widescreen LCD, AM/FM Radio, Karaoke Function, & MP3/WMA/MPEG4 Playback (Electronics)
we were outside the time frame to return it through Amazon. I proceeded to call 800-663-5954 which is the number provided with the product if one has a problem. This number linked me to
a customer service representative in Canada. That representative told me that I could mail the player to them, and they would replace it. I was given a file number and a Toronto, Ontario address
to use for the mailing address. I paid my $[...] to UPS and had the package sent. UPS called me a week later and explained that the company called NESA would not accept the package, and UPS would either need to send the package back to me in the U.S. at my cost, or the package would be destroyed. I called NESA back, and they told me they would never decline a UPS package; we confirmed the address and the File #, and I gave this info to UPS Canada. NESA still declined my package and it was sent back to me, unopened, and unrepaired. Stay away from Magnasonic!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great player for the price (for a short time), November 15, 2010
This is a great video player and boombox for the price. The picture quality is great and the sound is good, I am very happy with it. I would give it five stars except for (1) the remote does not have a volume control and (2) you can not shuffle the mp3 files, they play in the same order all the time and start from the beginning each time. I shuffled my mp3 files on the computer before loading them on a flash drive. I wish it had a digital tuner. I knew these problems before I bought the unit but still think it's a good deal.

Update, the video screen has died. I can hear dvd movies but can not see them. I can not play music from flash drive. It was great while it worked but didn't last very long. It was used very little. Cheap quality.

Update. I received a replacement unit after a two month wait and it cost $37 dollars to mail it to Canada. The new replacement was DOA, would not play movies or CD's. This is a JUNK product and Amazon should not being selling it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mainly a description of DVD 'play', August 2, 2010
I'm shocked. Unlike other portable DVD players I've read about, this one played both my home recorded, and 'store-boughten' DVD's very well. I thought at first it was DOA, but then I found I had to push-in the AC cord pretty firmly into the unit's socket to get a connection. After that, it powered-up Ok. The volume control 'could' be made to go higher on some of my DVDs, but for most DVD's, it's fine just as it is. By the way, the manual doesn't mention this, but there is a 'nearly hidden' On/Off switch on the back of the unit to turn On/Off the 'Display'...so be advised, in case nothing shows on the screen. Also, I had to 'tilt' the unit at a downward angle to get lower 'contrast'...which gave a brighter picture...but I think I read in the manual, somewhere, that there is a 'tilt-screen' control...or maybe not.) Now, as for the use of this unit under alkaline battery-power: I loaded 8 alkaline C-Cells under optimal conditions: They were just bought at a big box store which has high product turnover...so they weren't very long on the shelf; I never 'stored' them for any length of time (or used them in any other device); I inserted them in the player within 2 days of having purchased them; and they were (alkaline) Duracell's which, hands down, are the 'best' quality in my opinion. Over a 2-evening test, with a break after 4 hours of DVD's the first night and then continuing the test the next night, the batteries lasted almost exactly a total of 6 hours of playtime. That's not too bad. I know now that I can watch about 3 DVDs on one set of 8 c-cells...given the optimal conditions I described above. If the battery conditions are not optimal (such as being stored for 9 months before being used, etc.), I'd expect less than 6 hours of playtime. Also, I used the default factory settings for the screen brightness and contrast. As I understand it, if you make the screen dimmer, the batteries last longer (as was told to me by a different manufacturer.) By the way, an 'AA' battery DVD player that used to be on the market required 6 AA batteries to get 2.25 hours of playtime. So, that will give you a basis for comparison. I hope all this helps. It really IS a good unit in my overall estimation. (I just wish it would take 8 'D'-cell batteries, instead of 'C'-cells...which would likely have given it considerably longer playtime.) And I just don't know anything about long-term durability. (Follow-up: I went to the manufacturer?/distributor? website as printed in my package/box inserts, and this is what occurred: 1) The player being reviewed is no longer being shown as a current product (i.e. it's just not 'shown' at all). I'll let you decide how to use that information. 2) I emailed their tech support department to ask what kind of battery was used in the remote control of the model I purchased, and after 3 days, I haven't received any reply. Again, I'll let you decide how to use that information.]

1.0 out of 5 stars Boombox that does boom, September 6, 2010
The actual boombox is not bad looking, small and with a nice screen for its size. But it didn t work. I took it out of the package, red the scarse instructions, started a dvd and boom the dvd stopped working.I thought I had done something wrong so I went to the instructions again, all was ok, started everything again and nothing. A few hours later it worked again but again, 1 minute and then nothing. Expecting warranty, yes but only if you are a canadian citizen; and amazone will only refund if I get lucky, so... don t buy this boombox. I got lured cause it looked ok and was cheap but this was really a bad surprise. Maybe I am a rare case but the lack of service or warranty does not help much... hope this is helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars product did not work!, February 25, 2011
I bought this for my daughter's birthday gift, she was very excited when she opened it, but after plugging it in the screen would not light up. We shipped it back to the manufacturer at our expense and have not heard anything since. It has been 3 weeks now waiting for her birthday gift to return. Don't buy this product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Misleading description, but generally a good product, April 22, 2012
The owner's manual doesn't say so, but the microphone input was evidently designed for a cheap crystal microphone, not a good-quality dynamic microphone. Crystal microphones generally have poorer sound quality, but a much higher output voltage. With the MAG-MDVD500 volume control turned up to maximum in DVD mode, if one YELLS into a dynamic microphone one can hear one's voice coming from the speakers faintly. I fault the distributor for not describing the microphone requirements at all in the manual and I fault Amazon.com for suggesting a variety of dynamic microphones to viewers of the MAG-MDVD500 page.

Although the unit can be partly controlled via the buttons on the case, to access all of its functions, particularly when playing MP3 music files from a CD, USB thumb drive or SD card, one MUST have the handheld infrared remote control. If the remote control breaks or if you lose it, you're out of luck, as getting a replacement remote control from the vendor isn't possible, as far as I can determine. The remote control is a bit larger than a credit card, about 1/4 inch thick, with a membrane keypad on one side.

The manual doesn't describe what kind of battery the remote control uses. IF you can get the battery compartment open, you'll discover a CR2025 lithium coin cell in there. These are common enough and the cell will probably last as long as you care to keep the boombox. The battery compartment in the remote control is poorly designed. The only way I was able to open it was to put it face down on the edge of a table, work the notch on the battery holder with the fingernail of one hand, the little latch to the left of it with the fingernail of my other hand and wiggle it vigorously until it finally popped open.

The power amplifier is a bit weak. Turning the volume control past about the 70% level usually results in annoying audible distortion while playing properly normalized recorded material. However, if the manual volume control is kept below distortion levels, the volume is more than adequate to fill the room with sound. A bass-boost button is available, but ordinary speech generally sounds better with bass-boost turned off.

When a disc, USB stick or SD card with MP3 music files is inserted, the unit automatically scans the storage medium and discovers all the MP3 files in the various folders. It doesn't understand Winamp playlists (.m3u files), and there's no apparent way of programming play order, but it does have a repeat mode that is accessible from the remote control. Also, a MODE button on the case allows one to select the disc, USB port or SD port for playback.

The TV-out connectors support composite video (yellow RCA jack) and stereo audio (red and white RCA jacks); a video patch cord is included. Using the remote control, one can select 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio and NTSC or PAL video output format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice sound, August 23, 2010
This is a very good "boom box". The radio reception is very clear, even without extending the antenna. It plays dvd's and mp4s (from a card slot). The screen is small (7 inches) but still great for personal viewing of dvd's and mp4's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and Convenient!, October 15, 2010
Lisa M. (Hanna City, IL) - See all my reviews
I purchased this product for my kids. They love it! They each have a different MP3 player/Ipod, and the hookups are convenient and easy to use. They use it in the bathroom when they shower. My 6 year old loves watching DVD's as she soaks in her bubble bath. The picture on the screen is excellent quality! I have recommended this player to all my friends!

1.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect gift for an 8-Y.O. But Does not last. Poor quality parts and craftsmenship., December 28, 2010
W. MCNEIL (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
"Wow!, thanks dad." This was the reaction from my daughter (8) when she opened this item for xmas-2010. She put the unit right to work by plugging it in and watching DVD movie "Bedtime Stories".
But after merely 3 1/2 months of usage. the unit would no longer read DVD, CDs or anything. Radio was only working function. No one at SHOPTRONICS or MAGNASONIC stands behind the product for it is discontinued. This product does not last. And I am sure if most of these reviewers were to update their review entry, the score for this item will decrease.... This is not a good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars great radio/music & movie player, September 16, 2010
Peter says: the radio is crystal clear, the mp3 connection is excellent, the screen is small but adequate for dvd's and the remote is quite handy