5.0 out of 5 stars Karaoke Fun -- CD-g or DVD -- Bargain
Published on December 31, 2010 by Fritz

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the 1080p HD upconverting feature.
First off let me say that I am not a tech geek so don't take this as if it came from the burning bush of audio-video worship. I do however have a basic understanding about HD images and what is needed to get one. If you are a tech geek and can find anything I did wrong in my setup, equipment or operation of the Magnasonic please jump in.

I bought this DVD...
Published on January 13, 2011 by Richard P. Mayhew

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Karaoke Fun -- CD-g or DVD -- Bargain, December 31, 2010
Fritz (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magnasonic MAG-MDVHD360 Upconverting HD 1080p DVD Player with HDMI/Component Video, MP3/MPEG4/JPEG Playback & Karaoke Function (Electronics)
I looked at a variety of much more expensive options but this is terrific. Instead of the tiny screens that you get on all-in-one karaoke gizmos, or paying for a microphone mixer to use a regular CD, DVD, or Blu-Ray player (that may not handle the CD-G format), you buy this, plus a microphone, and use your TV for karaoke fun. It has a variety of connection options--including HDMI (for the newer equipment) so you can plug in directly into a TV or into an AV amp. Santa gave us the wireless dual microphone setup from another Amazon Marketplace vendor and the only hitch is that you have to configure this player for Stereo or the mic level will seem too low.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the 1080p HD upconverting feature., January 13, 2011
Richard P. Mayhew (Silver Spring, MD USA) - See all my reviews

I bought this DVD player based on the 1080p HD upconverting feature. The manufactor says with it you'll be able to enjoy all of your DVD's in 1080p HD. I have a large collection of DVD's and I thought I'd hit the jackpot finding a machine that could show them in 1080p HD...just like the PS3 does with Blu Ray discs.

It comes with standard audio-video (yellow-white-red) jack cables...but not an HDMI cable. To support the Magnasonic upconverting DVD player I bought a Mediabridge Ultra Series High Speed HDMI Category 2 cable, that cost me another 16 bucks on top of the 44 I spent on the Magnasonic DVD player.

I connected the Magnasonic upconverting DVD player to my Sony Bravia XBR46 HD TV using the HDMI connections on both machines.

I played several different DVD's on a regular (non-upconverting) DVD player, scanning through the chapters and examining the scenes...then I played the same discs on the Magnasonic Upconverting DVD player. I made sure to press the HDMI button on the remote control... scanning through the different picture options until I got to 1080p, then I watched the very same chapters and scenes that I had watched on the regular DVD player.

To be candid I did not see any difference at all. You can tell when you get a 1080p image on the screen (bright eyes for one) and I didn't see one.

It's hard for me to be too mad or disapointed too much since the Magnasonic was so cheap to start with. I like that it does show my JPEG digital photos on the TV screen...that's much better than the old 35mm slide shows I grew up with in the 70's.

It also can support karaoke with the CD-G format which could be fun (you'll have to buy a microphone as there is not one included here) if you like to sing.

It's very small and light, it comes in a nice little cardboard box with a plastic handle on it. It would be easy to move around...like if you wanted to pack it up and bring it to your vacation rental or something.

I wish the 1080p had really worked, I don't think it did...but I am not bummed out enough with the product to return it over that. It has found a place in my home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything we needed and affordable...., December 27, 2010
This DVD player has worked flawlessly since we received it. We have not used the Karaoke function as of yet but it was bought to be the children's room player so it may never see a Karaoke disc, but it is there if we ever decide to. Great product at a great price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD player. I'm very pleased and highly recommend it., March 15, 2011
I was shopping around for a new DVD player when I saw this on Amazon. It claimed to convert my DVDs to HD. It has MP3 and JPEG capabilities. The description of the product was a little hard to believe, especially at the price. I went ahead and bought it since I needed a new, inexpensive one and I figured my kids could figure out the rest of the features. There are several settings to pick the picture size. My son got it all hooked up and popped in my favorite movie and started it playing. I'm not a big fan of letterbox/widescreen viewing so I was thrilled when the movie began to play and the picture was almost full screen with only 4" of black over the picture and under it. I am very happy that I bought this DVD player. I LOVE IT!!

4.0 out of 5 stars great product!, January 2, 2011
The MAG-MDVHD360 is great! It's mp3 accessible and functions as a karaoke machine and a dvd player. The best part is that my child doesn'thave to carry around a big karaoke machine. It sits right under the tv and stays there! Plus it is upconverting for hdtv. The price is right and it shipped fast just in time for Christmas. Thank u Amazon.com and Shoptronics!

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy a reputable name brand!, October 23, 2011
I bought this upscaling HDMI DVD player because it was a great price and sounded like a good deal. I was wrong! My gut instinct told me to only buy a name brand...but I went ahead and bought this brand that sounds like two REAL name brands (Magnavox and Panasonic) mated and made a Magnasonic.
This thing is a piece of junk. The display on the front is hideous and constantly flashing red while playing a DVD. It's made of cheap lightweight plastic that is probably destined to a short life, but those things are both manageable. The most mind boggling part is the remote! The buttons are tiny so it's not easy to use, and the batteries don't stay in it! I've never seen a piece of electronics made like this remote. You put the two AAA batteries in and they will actually EJECT from the remote onto the floor. You have to hold the batteries in and try to click the back on before they eject. Even when you do that there is enough room for the batteries to cease making contact and therefore not work. I had to jam some rolled up paper in the back with the batteries and then try to close the compartment before the popped loose. What a joke. I saved like $10-$15 buying this instead of a legitimate brand and I'm sorry I did it. I think the remote will get thrown out a window before the DVD player ever actually stops working....it's a universal remote or a new DVD player all together for me.
Buyer beware. Don't save a few bucks, listen to your gut and get a real name brand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 26, 2011
Larry Reid "gaian2000" (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this product because I have video content in MP4 format that I want to watch on my tv. Advertising for this product claims that it can play MP4 but my unit will not perform this function. Very disappointing. I am still searching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnasonic 1080p DVD Player, September 5, 2011
Great product ! I have been using it almost every day for the past couple months, and i have had no problems playing any newer, or older movies on it.
The picture quality is very good and can be changed on the remote by pressing the HDMI button . It has a very easy to understand and use remote control.
It's also, pretty quiet, when it's loading and running DVDs.I would recommend this DVD player to anyone looking for an affordable
well made product. The sound quality is good too.

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST EVER, July 15, 2011
It didn't work from the moment we took it out of the box. We called customer service to see if we were doing something wrong (outsourced CS) and the guy gave us one thing to try and then said.....well I guess its broken then, send it back to amazon. Not a sorry or anything. Only DVD player I have ever had that I had an issue with, sent it back via amazon. I would not recommend at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable -- avoid, July 8, 2011
When my Panasonic DVD player packed up after many years of use, I bought the Magnasonic in haste, thinking I was buying a Magnavox. I did use the Magnasonic for some months after a friend repaired my Panasonic, which gave up the ghost after four more months of services.

Hooking up the Magnasonic to my system was easy, but it was infuriatingly slow to respond to the remote's various commands and not user friendly. Given that it was inexpensive and offered an fairly good picture and sound, I did not mind until it suddenly ceased to send a picture to the HDTV. I don't know what the technical problem is, but the heads are clean and the machine has had only light usage.

In short, I am very dissatisfied with this product and I would not recommend it to anyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›