5.0 out of 5 stars Best Alarm Clock Ever
Published on December 20, 2011 by Oommma

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the time it displays
Published on October 3, 2012 by MommaCat

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Alarm Clock Ever, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Magnasonic MAG-MM178K AM/FM Projection Clock Radio with Dual Alarm, Auto Time Set/Restore, Motion Activated Snooze, Temperature Display and Battery Backup (Electronics)
I absolutely love, love, love this alarm clock. Well...as much as I can love something thats sole purpose is to make sure I get up and go to work. I agree with others that the normal time display is incredibly bright. I turned that off. I don't need a clock to tell me what time it is when I'm awake. I need a clock to let me know what time it is when I hit snooze without me having to actually wake up. Which is at the center of what I love most about this clock. First of all when it alarms it displays the time on the wall (or ceiling if you prefer). I like this because I don't have raise my head and look or squint to see the time. Another great thing is I don't actually have to "hit" a snooze button. Just waving a hand over the clock resets the snooze. That is truly fantastic. No fumbling around trying to hit the right button and waking myself up when I intend to keep sleeping another 19 minutes. No "accidentally" turning the alarm off. To fully disable the alarm I have to hit a button without bypassing the snooze sensor. I am unable to do this while partially asleep, which is another positive for this alarm clock. The positives go on and on. There are two alarms that can be set, M-F and S-S. Some people will like that the clock knows the date and time and sets itself. Yeah, that was great for a clock, but what I like most is that it's like the repeating alarm on a phone. It doesn't have to be turned on everyday. Every Monday through Friday it wakes me up early and every Sat/Sun it leaves me alone and I don't have to do anything...and whenever I wave my hand over it it displays the time on my wall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful set of features in a compact unit, December 26, 2011
We did a lot of research on clock radios before settling on this one. The primary need was to be able to keep the display dim enough so as to not disturb my wife. This unit can be set to no display, and will only display for 15 seconds when you wave your hand over the top of the unit. Otherwise, it remains completely dark. Also, we needed a clock with two alarms and strongly favored clocks which set themselves. This unit fit the bill and also provided a projection feature we were not sure of in the beginning, but having used it at night, the feature is a useful added bonus.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice clock but can be polished to be perfect, July 29, 2011
This is a nice clock, it has all the feature I am looking for, but some detail feel could be polished
PRO:
1. It has dual alarm, configurable as weekday or weekend
2. projector can be turn to right direction
3. IR sensor works good
4. It has AM/FM ( I am not that kind favor of it though, but believe this is a feature some people may like)

CON:
1. Size is bulky than I expected,
2. There are extra two thin wire hanging out ugly. these are temp sensor and FM antenna, this is bad and really ugly to have two extra wire other than the power cord.
3. The projector doesn't have information other than time
4. The projector can not be turn on independent to the LED window, In the night, I like the LED off but projector on, but this unit can not do this.
5. The unit manual say automatic time setting. I didn't see it has any indicator to show it pick up atomic clock radio signal, and I see it show the time offset to my other atomic radio control clock, didn't get it what is "automatic" here.
6. FM tuning is not smooth, the switch is very sensitive, and a careless soft touch can change the signal. And the band can not be locked correct.
7. There are no FM/AM presets
8. speaker does not deliver good sound.

Although I list more point of improvement it could have than the PRO bullets, overall, I believe this is a good one. Hopefully it is also reliable over a long time. This need wait a while to see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good alarm clock with a quirk., February 23, 2012
I bought this clock a few weeks ago and so far so good. It is convenient how you can set two separate alarms that can be set to go off on weekdays, weekends, or both. The radio reception is very good the sound is as expected coming out of a small speaker. I'm projecting the time about 12' across our bedroom and the numbers show up large and clearly (of course, only in dim lighting). The main quirk that is a minor annoyance is that the IR sensors that are used to detect your hand waving over the clock seem to pick up signals coming out of my TV remote which sometimes makes the clock chirp when I push buttons on the remote. Also, the hand waving seems more like a gimmick than something useful but works as advertised. Overall, I'm quite happy with the purchase and it's a nice replacement for my old alarm clock with a cassette player built in.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the time it displays, October 3, 2012
This is the worst clock radio I've ever bought. When setting, the display toggles back and forth. Even though the clock is next to a window, it will not pick up a local radio station, but is very static-y. It jumps to am at the flick of a finger. Same with going from alarm 1 to alarm 2. The brightness level on the display is bright enough to read by and must be turned off in order to sleep. The only good thing about turning it off is that putting your hand over the clock displays the time for a few seconds so that if you do awaken during the night you can see the time.

All in all, I'd would say don't buy this. I'll trash it when I can find a proper clock radio that isn't an mp3 player.

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID this one, please move along...., October 4, 2012
Bobby H. (N.E. Ohio, USA) - See all my reviews
Pros, surprised there are three:
1) Easy to set.
2) Projection display.
3) Digital Tuner.

Cons:
1) The display is too bright even on the low setting. ***I fixed this by adding some cheap 5% auto-tint over the display.***
2) Wave over function on top is horribly executed and a problem when working front time functions and rear radio tuning. A light breeze, any IR device, or even a change in sunlight will cause it to beep constantly and switch display units. This is a problem as you are always causing the radio timed "on" to switch every time you change something. It's also a pain when setting the clock as it keeps flicking the display back and forth and you can't use any buttons until it shuts off. ***I fixed this by covering up the sensors with some black tape.***
3) The plastic feet cause the unit to slide all over the place whenever you touch the clock. ***I fixed this by grinding down the plastic feet pegs and added small round stick-on rubber bumpers.***
4) The digital tuner, which is also a Pro coincidentally, is extremely twitchy. No fix for this, unfortunately, short of taking it apart and modifying the dial gear.
5) The temperature probe and read-out have to be one of the worst add-on features ever on a clock radio. Just one more thing to break. No fix on this.
6) The reception is marginal at best, unless I stand on one foot with the wire antenna help up in the air. It works for the middle and end of the bandwidth, but you're not going to get the lower stations without a hassle. No fix as of yet.
7) No station presets. I bought a clock radio assuming a digital tuner would have presetting of stations available. Nope, not the case. This is probably my biggest disappointment.

I am comfortable enough now with the unit with the modifications. However; the next nice AM/FM digital clock radio that has the features I need, with no Ipod interface, will easily have me tossing this one in the trash.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Radio Clock, August 28, 2011
It is good, but I have two cons on it, first the buttons are hard to click and the second is the sleep function that if you want to be awakened by the radio, it has 90,60,30, and 15 min to wait until the radio shut off. Other than that the radio, clock, and the projection are good

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, customer service phone number didn't help, March 13, 2012
Tom P. (Santa Monica, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered this as I was looking for a projection clock. But also, the clock needed to be able to be seen during the day. This clock did not display the current time on the front of the display (blue in the photo) unless you press a button to make the light come on. Otherwise it is just dark and you can't see the time. Supposedly you can flick a switch on the back of the clock and it will display all the time so the you can see the time from across the room at any time. But that did not work on our clock. In the package there was one of those notes that tell you "Don't return this to where you bought it, Call us and we will help you!" So I called them, and they acted like they could care less if the clock worked or not. They were like, "well take it back if it doesn't work, why are you calling us???" So anyway, I returned it to Amazon and I'm currently looking for another clock.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, March 23, 2012
Everything works ok on this unit except the following:
1. Infrared sensor does not work, confirmed when I called tech support for the manufacturer. This is the main reason why I purchased this so I am returning it.
2. The buttons are TINY and very difficult to read. I have normal eyesight, but the size and gray color of the text is really, really hard to read, especially against the glossy black finish. Every time I wanted to push a button I had to pick up the unit and hold it at various angles to see what the text was, this messes up the antenna wires (two) that were so carefully placed to get reception.
3. The display is waaaay too bright. There is a dimmer switch but it doesn't dim it much, I had to turn it away from me to sleep.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a clock but that's it, February 29, 2012
For the money you could probably do better then this alarm clock.
I don't know what it means when it says it has "auto time set". I thought it meant you plug it in and it sets the time for you, it doesn't.
The motion sensored snooze beep is very annoying, items that use Infrared like tv remotes will make it beep too. I put electrical tape over it and don't use the motion snooze at all.
You can't see the time projection in any kind of daylight. The display on the clock is kinda small for tired eyes.
The radio reception stinks. I bought a better one for half the price, I bet you can too.

The only reason I gave it two stars is because the shape reminds me of an old school bass tube, so I think it looks good but that's about it.