Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Magnavox 17MD255V/17 17-Inch Widescreen LCD TV with DVD Player
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on April 10, 2006
Update: After about 60 days, the DVD player stopped working. I'm currently waiting for service to be completed. I had purchased the Circuit City service plan so I am not forced to mail the TV to Philips at my own expense. I'm reducing the rating I originally gave based on the fact that 4 out of 5 reviews on this site have had the DVD player fail. 2 Stars - it's a good TV, but the DVD player is junk.

I've been using this TV for about two weeks and have found it to meet my needs, but certainly is not for the videophile.

Pros: This was a compact TV/DVD in one unit that is light enough to move around when necessary. It is true High Def (as opposed to Enhanced Definition TVs that were price competitive with it) with a native resolution of 1280X768. DVD Player works well. The internal speakers put out plenty of sound without distortion. Video can be forced into either 4:3 or Full Screen (Wide) mode.

Cons: There are no Panoramic or Zoom picture modes. The tuner is finicky and the manual's mention of "Fine Tuning" controls doesn't explain where they are (and I haven't found them). The scaling of standard TV signals to HD leaves much to be desired, but is not too noticeable on the fairly small screen size.

Overall, I needed a small TV to fit in a bookshelf nook and this works great. I've connected an Xbox 360 to the component inputs and the image is fantastic in its native resolution. I have not tested the other inputs.
on April 18, 2006
Everyone else seems to love this TV, but I've had my problems. I've had the TV about 3 months and the DVD player decided to stop working. It makes a whirring and clicking sound, but won't load the DVD. I called Magnavox just in time becuase my warranty was about to expire in 3 days. They are making me ship them the TV at my expense, and then they will send me a new one. Even when this TV was working I felt the picture was too dark, and I had to turn the brightness up really high to get a good picture. Also, the speakers are good quality, but just not loud enough. My friend has a Kodak LCD TV and it seems to be much better quality than the Magnavox. I think this unit is just overpriced...not a good value!
on January 10, 2007
As with other's reviews, the DVD player quit working after 12 months (just out of warranty). MAGNAVOX has declined servicing or exchanging after warranty expiration eventhough I was expecting to pay for repair/exchange. They have basically abandoned a poor product. Looks like I'll be the one abandoning them in the future.
on February 15, 2007
Have had the 13" tv/dvd for 2 years. We use it only a few weekends a month, and have had no trouble with it during all this time. 2 weeks ago,however, the dvd player kept ejecting the dvd.Called magnavox customer service,serv reps very hard to understand and they couldn't understand me.20 minutes of repeating info and then the rep said that he had never heard of such a problem, this problem has never come up before in his experience. After reading several reviews on different websites about this model, apparently he was very mistaken. They would not accept tv back even with us paying for servicing.Website customer service "is not working at this time" for 2 weeks now. Will not buy Magnavox product again.Customer service was the worst of it.
on February 6, 2006
We had this relatively inexpensive TV for about 5 weeks when the DVD player ceased to function properly. It is still under warranty so we're going to send it in, but we are paying for shipping to Arkansas which is not going to be cheap. Hopefully this will be the end of our support issues.

Aside from that the picture has been good. I guess you get what you pay for.
on January 5, 2007
I was interested in this unit because it fit wonderfully in my small urban apartment, but was extremely dismayed when the DVD unit stopped working after three months. Do not buy this TV if you plan on using the DVD. The picture quality, however, is surprisingly good.
on September 28, 2006
Like the others who have purchased this awful piece of equipment I experienced the DVD player stopped working at about the 30 day mark. I returned the TV and Philips replaced it with a new one. It's been 5 months and the DVD player still works but now the TV operation is not functioning properly. When I contacted the Philips customer service line I was told that since it is beyond 3 months I'm out of luck. I guess I can use it as a fancy paper weight..................
on April 4, 2006
DVD Broken TWICE in 3 months. I returned it when the first one broke within 32 days of purchase. #2 DVD stopped working after about 45 Days...... Was a great picture!
on April 29, 2007
The DVD player on the model I bought (32 inch) was faulty from the start. Took in the disk my son picked out "special" when we bought the t.v. and will neither play it nor eject it. Customer service gave me the number of an authorized service center 30 minutes from me. It's hard to believe that yesterday I didn't have a television and today I've got one that needs servicing. If you are in the market for expensive hassles (with a bonus of disappointed youngsters), then by all means, rush out and GET THIS T.V.!
on March 14, 2007
I have the 26" model and I've watched two DVD in the 4 months that I've owned the TV. The DVD player is not working. I bought a refurb and it started acting up right after the warranty ended. The television has a great picture and works fine and has alot of features. Save the money and buy a model without the DVD player. I wish I read these reviews prior to buying it.