5.0 out of 5 stars My patience paid off
For two years, I've been researching flat-panel HDTVs, going to stores to check them out in person, and watching price fluctuations. In all that time, there was only one TV I found fully satisfying on display (the higher-end 40-inch Sony Bravia).

Published on November 20, 2006 by Blu-ray Bill

1.0 out of 5 stars No more Magnavox/Philips for me!
Published on July 30, 2008 by B. Leatherman

5.0 out of 5 stars My patience paid off, November 20, 2006
Blu-ray Bill (Seattle, Washington United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magnavox 37MF231D 37-Inch Widescreen LCD HDTV with HDMI (Electronics)

But then came the one-two punch: Consumer Reports ranked the Magnavox 37MF231D high in November, and it hit my price point immediately thereafter. With great trepidation and much final comparing to the two other LCD TVs of the same size and price (Vizio and Olevia), I bought it sight unseen.

Before I tell you what I think of it, let me relate the shortcomings that I had read about (as of this writing, there's not much about this model online), so you can buy this with your eyes open:

--A bluish tint to the coloring. Difficult to achieve enough warmth.

--Too much edge enhancement.

--The speakers are weak.

--Labor warranty of only three months.

When I brought it home, I followed the advice of an online reviewer (lcdtvbuyingguide) who was not happy with the 32-inch version of this TV. He recommended these settings to optimize the picture:

Smart Picture Setting: Personal
Contrast: 55
Brightness: 92
Color: 58
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp.: Warm
Tint: 7

I soon found out how true it is that each of us has personal preferences as to settings. After tweaking it to my taste, this is what I ended up with:

Smart Picture Setting: Personal
Contrast: 60
Brightness: 89
Color: 48
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp.: Warm
Tint: 1

About 10 days after buying the TV, here's what I see:

I think the picture is beautiful, with great detail. In fact, to my eyes, the picture is just as good as the Sony Bravia's. I've been watching a lot of Technicolor Cinemascope DVDs, and they look spectacular on the Magnavox.

If there's a leaning toward the blue, I don't see it. I also don't notice any edge enhancement issues. I see no dead pixels at all. I didn't bother to install the speakers because of their reputation (equally true for most other LCD TVs), so I can't comment on those.

The only issue I've had is that for three DVDs out of 10, the screen has gone black for about five seconds, seemingly randomly. I called Magnavox/Philips and got prompt, responsive customer service. They said they were aware of the issue and are sending me a software upgrade that will take care of it. I almost waited until I could confirm the fix worked before writing this review, but since there's so little out there right now on this model, I thought it would be more helpful to publish now and edit later, if necessary.

So, at this point, I would say this is the "best buy" flat-panel HDTV at this size and price. It's certainly surpassed my expectations. And since the clear consensus is that 1080 resolution is only noticeable in larger TVs (generally 50 inches and above), there's no need to wait for an HDTV with higher resolution to come along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV! Just great!, February 14, 2007
CATHY Eckers (Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
I got more than I bargained for when I bought this TV. I had no idea the picture we would get off our roof antenna would be as unbelievable as it is. We live in the country and do not have cable or a dish. This TV brings it all in clear as a bell, plus we get three more stations than we did before. It's great. I read up on the HDTV after I bought it and as long as the TV has the ATSC tuner, you can get a great picture without the cable. If I would have known that, I would have bought it much sooner. Now if they would just make a reasonably priced high definition DVD recorder that has the ATSC tuner, I would really be all set. The only two small complaints I have about this TV are 1) it allows you to set the clock, but doesn't ever display the time. The clock is apparently only for setting times you don't want the kids to be able to watch certain channels, and (2) the remote isn't very good. The audio takes forever to go up or down when using it and you have to be directly in front of it for the other buttons to work well. If those things don't bother you and you get a good price on this TV, go for it, especially if you are like we were and never could watch a football game without the snow!

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD SO FAR!, February 14, 2007
David Baltazar (SAN JOSE, CA United States) - See all my reviews
So far I have been very pleased with this set. One good tip about transporting this tv if you are picking it up from a store. Transport it right side up (vertically)! Transporting it horizontally (like all flat screens) may cause damage so be careful! Check out the loading picture diagrams on the box!
The sound and picture is very good. I agree with the previous reviewer about the factory's preset contrast & color settings. The contrast needs to be adjusted down to 55 or 60 and the color to 89 to 92. The thing I like most about this set is it's ability to change the picture format to 7 different modes (automatic, zoom, 4:3, 14;9, 16:9 expanded, 16:9 subtitle and widesecreen). Cool! I don't have any complaints about the remote because I only use it when I switch between the four video inputs. Comcast has supplied me with a universal remote that operates both the cable receiver & tv just fine. I'm not sure why other reviewers are having power-up problems with their sets because my set always seems to power-up in less than 5 seconds every time.
So far my only complaint about this tv is the lack of standard left & right audio outputs for hooking it up to surround sound systems. The only audio out jack it has is a single, SPDIF (Sony Phillips Digital Interface) out jack, but I found few or very little surround sound systems that have it. So consider this when you hook up external audio systems. So far I have compensated by hooking up my surround sound directly to my Sony DVD player and Comcast receiver. I only had this set for a few weeks now, so I would like to review it again later to comment on its durability. For now it is just fine!

UPDATE; 17 August, 2009. My set is still working fine. No problems!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This TV Rocks!, March 23, 2007
Hello All,

I've been watching the world of HD as an observer for several years. There is really no test, no reviews, and no "ratings" that can determine what TV you think looks best. You really have to look and see the screen in person. Well I saw this one in Target and thought that it was unbelievable, even when sitting next to other HDTVs. So as the quintessential nerd that I am, I did a little internet research.

I came upon all of these Amazon reviews which turned out to be the most accurate and objective. I'm not the type to give a product a positive rating to justify my own expense... it's a sunk cost.. here is my take:

- The TV is easy to set up, the remote that many determined inadequate seemed perfect for me. I dislike deciphering a remote control. This one is easy to use and has shortcut buttons for the picture, format, and audio.

- Regarding the speakers which many talked down, I think they work fine. Of course I have the TV in a relatively small space. However for a 37" TV and the recommended space the speakers sound awesome. I was a little disappointed as others have been with the fact that there are no "ordinary" RCA sound out jacks. I cut some in half and wired them up manually to the speaker outputs. It works fine as long as I don't overdrive the TV.

- The picture and blue tint that people talk of... well adjust your screen! If you actually sit in front of this set and adjust it appropriately the picture is absolutely breathtaking! Seriously, for a grand, this TV is awesome, and comparable to sets that cost 3x as much.

I called 8 different places until I found this set. I have no regrets regarding buying this set, money WELL spent. Magnavox hit this one outa the park...

- Patrick

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tv - don't buy on Amazon, February 25, 2007
I agree with all of the previous reviewers. One of my niggles is that it only comes with a single HDMI input. The remote is pretty much destined for the pile of other unused remotes.

I hate that the volume control meter doesn't show when you adjust the volume by default. To enable this means that you also have to see for like 5 minutes the video input (TV, HDMI, VIDEO1, VIDEO2, ...) selection in the upper right hand corner. Very small issues really.

The big thing is this - both Target and Sears have this TV available for as low as $800. Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with this TV. But I've had it for almost a month now with no regrets.

An Update, 8 Months Later
=========================
Still works great, no issues with this tv at all. I agree that the tv response speed when using the remote could be better, but I'm trying REALLY hard to think of something negative about this TV. TBSHD was just added in our area and the MLB Playoff coverage looks fantastic on this TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Concerns, May 1, 2007
Karyn M. Sacker (Elgin, Il United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this tv two weeks ago. The picture and sound are great for the price, but I do have two concerns:

1. It takes over a minute for the tv to turn on. Is this normal?

2. Twice the picture blacked out as if the tv shut off, but the power light was still on. I had to shut the tv off and turn it back on to restore the picture. I'll be placing a call to tech support on this one. Stay tuned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, especially for the price!, June 14, 2007
I honestly can't relate to half of these reviews here. I got a refurb a couple weeks ago and it's been absolutely great. I've been watching Discovery Channel's Planet Earth series in 720p and it looks fantastic! The sound from the speakers is great for my apartment and fills the apartment very well. My colors are clear and crisp, no blueish tint. I don't even mind that it doesn't have a volume meter. My xbox 360 looks great on this set using component cables, making me want to see just how pretty this thing could look using HDMI in.

1.0 out of 5 stars No more Magnavox/Philips for me!, July 30, 2008
Originally loved the TV - great picture, nice overall look, QAM receiver - it was great! But, 18 months after purchase, the color is gone! Without warning, it just went poof - black and white for all analog stations (digital stations picked up with the QAM still display color, but all standard cable stations and DVD only shows black and white). Now, a hefty bill for a new circuit board is required for repair. 18 months is far, far too soon to be experiencing such problems with a TV. Apparently, others have had similar problems with their Magnavox LCD TVs - seems to be bad quality on the part of Magnavox. I can only say think twice (and research reviews) before purchasing a Magnavox/Phillips product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Station tuning via antenna, March 29, 2007
I've had 2 problems. First, in station setup via antenna with rotor, the auto program acquires and stores all signals from the primary antenna direction, but only some stations at a different direction. There seems to be no way to add additional channels after the initial setup when moving the antenna to point in a different direction. Although in the installation menu there is an item for "weak signal installation", it seems to have no effect. So, if you are somewhere in between two cities, you pretty much have to pick "either-or". You cannot simply dial in a digital channel number, such as 7.1 to get a signal which was not set up in the auto program; it just reverts to analog channel 7. I called Magnavox with the problem, but they were unresponsive. I checked other brands at a local retailer, and they seemed to have a capability to add channels, but this Magnavox model does not.

My second problem has been that after all the signals have been programmed in, several days later, digital channel 64.1 disappeared from the preferred channel list. I re did the auto program, and after several more days, that channel had disappeared again. This happened a third time. Once again I called Magnavox, and was totally blown off. They insisted that it was just that the station signal was too weak, which is not the case at all. Something seems to be failing within the set, which they don't want to admit to. Perhaps stalling me until my warranty expires.

Other than the above, the picture and sound are excellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dies after less than three years, December 17, 2009
My husband and I purchased this TV from Sears about three years ago. About six months ago the screen would randomly go blank while watching TV and then come back on by itself. We also began to notice that you had to push the "power" button more than once to get the TV to even turn on. Now the screen often goes blank and doesn't come back. Usually unplugging/replugging fixes that. Also, the TV now has bouts where it won't even come on. We've unplugged it and replugged it and it just refuses to come on. Come back in an hour or so, push power about 8 times and it may decide to work. I bought a 5 year warranty for the TV, so we have been going back and forth with Sears trying to get parts to repair it (backordered until who knows when) or just replace it. After reading some of these reviews, we are hoping for a non-Magnavox replacement! We will NOT be buying another Magnavox.