4.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD/VCR but no Coaxial Connector

1.0 out of 5 stars sorry in nc
Published on October 1, 2009 by happy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD/VCR but no Coaxial Connector, March 8, 2010
ZDarryl (Castle Rock, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magnavox DV225MG9 DVD Player & 4 Head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR with Line-in Recording (Electronics)
This is a great DVD/VCR and works very well. I knew that it did not have a TV tuner, which I figured was no problem, since I have satellite and would have to go through the box anyway. However, since there is no tuner, there isn't a coaxial connector on the back, only RCA. So, if you have an old TV that only has a Coaxial connector, don't buy this unless you also buy a RF Modulator.

1.0 out of 5 stars sorry in nc, October 1, 2009
Bought this model at a local Wal-Mart due to price. Since VCR's don't have a history of longevity, I was not wanting to spend more than I had to. Since the unit does not have a tuner, I had to purchase a modulator in order to get it to work with my DISH unit. Attempted to play a few of our VCR tapes to check the quality. The first tape skipped and had poor picture quality, even though it played perfectly on our old VCR. The next two tapes had poor picture and sound quality, even though they also looked and sounded fine on our old VCR. Am returning the unit to WM. Will be forced to spend more money to get a better unit. I would give an "A" to Magnavox for their telephone service support. However, I would give this unit a "D" on performance. I would not recommend this unit to anyone who wants a good, quality VCR/DVD player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, October 29, 2009
This DVD/VCR player is doing exactly what I expected it to do. It plays all of my DVDs and I am able to watch my home videos (on tapes) which is why I bought it in the first place. Hook-up was quick and did not need extra cables. I get a great picture on my tv. For the price I paid, you can't beat it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Expected, September 22, 2010
Yaj (California) - See all my reviews
I decided to purchase this inexpensive VCR recorder/player(+DVD player)despite a number of negative reviews. It performs beyond my expectations. The quality of the VCR recording and playback is very good. It took some trial and error to hook it up to the external digital tuner that converts my analog TV to digital reception. And, because this Magnovox VCR recorder does not have its own internal tuner, it will record only the station that is set on the external tuner. You cannot record one channel while viewing another. But you can preset the timer to record a program even if the TV is turned off, so long as the external tuner is turned on.
My criticisms are (1)the difficulty identifying (reading)the controls on both the unit and the remote control, and (2)the relatively slow rewind. The red indicator lights on the unit are small and difficult to discern at a distance. The minscule, light numerals are the remote are difficult to read even close-up. But experience breeds familiarity and the unit and the remote become more user-friendly. Overall, within the limitations of the device, this is clearly a Best Buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good dvd/vcr at resonable price., November 27, 2010
Great buy. Just be aware that you cannot run a tv cable through this unit. You need a cable box and then need to run red/white/yellow rca cable to tv. Something I found out later.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy camper, April 29, 2010
I was very satisfied with this equipment. It was delivered on time and I'm really enjoying it. I've started watching my DVD's and it works great. I have now started to tape shows and haven't had any difficulties taping any programs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken, March 2, 2010
I just got this DVD/VCR combo two months ago. About two weeks after the last day to return it, the DVD player broke. It just won't load DVDs anymore. The VCR works fine though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnavox Player Works with Analog TV's, November 14, 2012
Our Panasonic VCR died a few weeks ago and we needed to replace it. The TV we used it with is a 25-year old GE. This player works with our old TV and we can play VHS tapes, record VHS tapes and watch DVD's. I am using a cable box from Comcast. This unit does not have a tuner, so you will need an external one like a cable box. Also, your TV MUST have RCA jacks on the back: 3 colored sockets--yellow (video signal) and red and white for the audio. You will need to purchase another set of RCA cables if you plan on recording.

A few things you need to know to get today's progressive scan players to work with an analog TV.
1. You MUST turn progressive scan off. On this player there is a small light on the front labelled P Scan. If that light is illuminated, progressive scan is on. To turn it off, press and hold the play button on the DVD side until the light goes off.
2. There is no TV/VCR button on the remote or front panel. So, to view a tape you must switch to video input on your TV. How you do this depends on the brand of TV you have. For my GE, it amounts to setting the channel to channel 91. This can be done using your TV's remote or by just pressing the channel up button on the front of your set if you are using a cable box. With Comcast's boxes, the channel controls on the TV are limited to 4 and 91 on my set. I suspect that even if you do not know how to switch the video mode, just pressing the channel up button will probably toggle through your options. To find out more about your specific set, download the manual for this player. Go to Google and type magnavox dv225mg9 in the search box and click on the manual. Download it and go to p. 6 where they list the various TV models and ways to switch the video input. Once you have switched the video input, you never need to change it again. My Comcast box works fine with the TV set to channel 91 instead of channel 4. If you find that you suddenly don't see your tape playing, it's likely because the video input was reset somehow, just switch it back and all should be well.
3. Now set the date and time. Using the VCR's remote, press the Setup bottom, which will bring up a menu and the familiar blue screen. Follow the manual instructions.

Hooking the Unit Up--Recording and Playing
1. I recommend hooking up your TV directly to your cable box using the coax. Then use one set of RCA cables to go out of the cable box and into the VCR's input jacks.
2. Use the second set of RCA cables to connect the VCR's output to the video input on the back of your TV.
3. VERY IMPORTANT--you must use the rear inputs on the VCR to allow it to record, the so-called L1 input.
4. Pages 12-13 of the manual describe how to program timer recording. You will note that part of the process involves selecting the input. You must choose L1 if you want to record something on TV.
5. It may seem obvious, but the cable box MUST be on. Some of Comcast's boxes are always on like the simple analog-to-digital converters. But the on-demand boxes can be turned off and if the box is off, all you will record is snow, like you lost your cable connection, which of course you have!
6. To activate the program you just entered, you must press the Timer Set button on the remote. Toshiba also works like this. This locks you out of viewing VHS tapes and only allows viewing DVD's.
7. Finally, make sure to turn off the power to the VCR. It will not record if you leave the power on. It must be able to turn itself on.

Hooking up the unit for playback only:
1. If you are not interested in recording TV shows, then the set of RCA cables supplied with the unit will suffice. I suspect that since this unit has no internal tuner, that is why only one set of RCA cables is included.
2. Hook one end up to the VCR output jacks on the back of the VCR and hook up the other end to the matching color jacks on the back of your TV.
3. Make sure your TV is set to video input and you should be good. Whenever you want to playback a VHS tape or DVD, just press Play on the VCR remote and your selection will be viewable on your TV.
4. You can skip setting the clock, etc. since you will only be playing back and not recording.

I only rated this unit a 4. Although I am very pleased that Magnavox's manual addressed the compatibility early in the manual and that the manual is available online, so you can check it out before buying the unit, I am less impressed with the design. The visibility of the unit's front panel controls and the remote buttons are rather poor. White lettering on a sliver background does not make for easy reading. Be prepared to have to use a flashlight to read the front panel controls. The lack of a display means you'd have to check the time on the unit before using the timer record function, unless you just want to cross your fingers. For me, to rate a 5, Magnavox would have to make 4 changes: make the controls on the front of the unit and on the remote more legible by changing the color of the background and/or characters, include a digital display which not only displayed the time, but also acted as a time counter when playing back VHS tapes or DVD's.

It took me about 2 weeks of research to figure out how to make these new VCR's work with our perfectly functional, albeit antiquated TV's. Hope this info helps others with the same problem we faced.

Questions, just ask. I personally have learned so much from Amazon's customer feedbacks that I really want to share what I can to help others navigate the tech swamp.

Pam

5.0 out of 5 stars vcr/dvd player, November 8, 2010
I am very happy with this light-weight, easy to hook-up player. It was very reasonably priced as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars this product, May 26, 2010
the dvd player is nice to have i can now watch my old vhs tapes and entertain the grand kids with classic disney movies and watch old home movies

Rate and Discover Movies