5.0 out of 5 stars Cable cutter's dream.
Published on September 15, 2011 by Technopundit

2.0 out of 5 stars Some value in this, but not for intended purpose
Published on March 10, 2012 by Michael Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Cable cutter's dream., September 15, 2011
This review is from: Magnavox MDR513H/F7 HDD and DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner - REFURBISHED (Electronics)
I no longer have any use for cable TV. This machine works - it just WORKS! Versatile, intuitively layed out, compatible with "Harmony" remotes. Comes with a very nice, intuitive remote of its own. I believe the "refurb" status is simply due to a post production firmware update. The unit showed no sign of use whatsoever. 32 memory event slots provide plenty of programming to catch daily, weekly, single events, whatever, without having to be nickle and dime'd by that subscription DVR service whose name must never be spoken. Works with my Roku with great results. Lots and lots of hard drive space. Makes great DVD's and DVD-RW's. Survived a power failure - while operating in record mode - with no ill affects at all. Can't say enough good things about this unit. For rhree month's worth of cable service fees, it's mine-all-mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't like to pay for DVR service than this is for you!, October 28, 2011
If you want the convenience of the "Tivo" or cable/satelite DVR service than go ahead and pay for it, but if you are the type who doesn't mind spending a little time programming your own unit to record your favorite shows, along with figuring out which shows are on which digital channels etc. than this is definitely for you! I can't believe I've gone without this for so long!

No need for that digital converter as it's already in the unit.

This is 10 times better than any DVD recorder you can buy at your local electronics store, just go ahead and get this 1st as I made the mistake of buying a similar model that only has the DVD recording option and took it back after a week.

Simple hook-up if you already have cable servie going to a cable box. Just move the cable that's in the "cable-in" on your cable box and put it on the "antenna-in" on the HDD recorder, then use the included coax cable to connect the "antenna-out" from the HDD back to the "cable-in" on the cable box. The HDD does not even have to be plugged in to transfer the cable signal back to the cable box. You can now record any cable program as well as any digital over the air program. After scanning for digital channels on the HDD recorder you can set it up to record using daily/weekly or one time recording options. The best part is you can continue watching whatever through your cable box and record another program at the same time, and pause live tv etc. much like most DVR's that cable companies offer now. But it's not as user-friendly as the DVR's the cable companies offer and I believe it's not quite 100% HD recording, so it's not a great idea if there's not a technically inclined person operating it..such as my wife. I usually have to play the shows for her as there's a learning curve to using it properly.

I also really like the programmable skip and replay buttons. I have mine to skip 30seconds forward and reverse 15seconds back so when I skip too far through the commercials it's usually perfect to reverse a quick 15 seconds back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnavox DVD Recorder with 320GB hard Drive, July 14, 2011
Purchased this unit because I have an identical unit with an 80GB hard drive that has proven very easy to operate. Appearance of this unit is identical to the older one. HD is much larger and remote control is configured better, but at the same time the old remote will control the new unit and vice versa. Actually, both have 47 buttons with only one unused button not identical. I have had a couple of DVD recorders, one without and one with a hard drive, that were almost impossible to figure out. Therefore, I am most satisfied with both DVD recorders and delighted that operational changes were not made just for the sake of change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent screen and recording quality, December 15, 2011
Diamond M. Dominguez "diamon2x" (Los Angeles, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this DVR thru Wal-Mart.com 3 weeks ago, as one of the Black Friday deals online. I bought it because I may get rid of my cable box, and I need to still be able to record my favorite TV programs. So far, it has worked perfect. When watching your local stations through the DVR, the picture is as clear as your HDTV. Setup was easy. To test it's 320GB hard drive, so far I have recorded 10 hours of TV programs without deleting them. It still has room for more recordings. It beats having to delete programs on a DVD or put in a blank one every time you want to record something. Setting the timer to record programs is very easy. Whenever you set the timer to record a program, the menu will ask you if you prefer your recording on DVD or hard drive. That's great. But the feature that I like the most are the settings for "Repeat Recording". For example, if you watch a particular program every Wednesday at 9p.m., all you have to do is select "WED", select the time of "9:00 p.m." and the DVR will automatically record your program every Wednesday at 9 (just like the cable DVR you rent every month). Besides single repeat days, it also has the following settings for repeat recording requests: "Daily, Mon-Fri, Sat-Sun". So far I've only had 3 weeks, but I am completely happy with my purchase.

8-13-2013: Update. I've had this for over a year now. Still love it. Great Product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnavox MDR513H/F7 HDD and DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner - REFURBISHED, October 24, 2011
Great deal, the best $150 we have spent in a while. This thing works perfect and the shipping was on time, all good things. We now can record 150 - 300 hrs. of shows and they stay safe on the hard drive. We will use less DVDs and maybe never watch a tv commercial again. You can set the skip feature and just buzz by those things at light speed. Good buy, don't wait buy now... Ron

2.0 out of 5 stars Some value in this, but not for intended purpose, March 10, 2012
Michael Marshall (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
I had high hopes for this appliance. It plays DVDs, the digital tuner works fine, and it can record shows that you are actually watching. I have not been able to get this thing to record television shows when I'm not home, which is why I bought it. It turns on and starts recording at the scheduled time and says it's on the correct channel, but all it records is a black screen and no sound. I've tried turning the TV on during one of these programs and the TV also displayed a blank screen. I've tried tuning to the channel I want to record before turning the unit off. I can't get this thing to work. So, if you want an ATSC tuner and DVD player, and something that can do 480p recordings while you're watching, this is great. If you want to record something when you're not home, not so great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice for recording your shows, March 10, 2012
Like new condition for being refurbished. This is a very nice recorder for broadcast tv. However it doesn't compare to the cable or satellite dvrs. It's more like an upgraded VCR recorder. There's no tv guide but the show description is thorough. You cannot watch a show and easily record a series. You can start recording a show if you have to do something else. All timed recordings are entered manually. What I like is the live recording where you can always pause live tv or go back and replay something. It does not let you watch a show and record another. There is only one tuner. For the price and cutting the cable, it's worth it to me. That said this was the lower priced model and there may be others that do more for more money. This model is more for recording shows more like a VCR recorder but it let's you store hours of recordings. You can burn to a DVD if you want others to watch something too! If you are using a universal remote use the Phillips DVD player code.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex Machine Saves Me a Bundle, January 27, 2012
Renato V Rossi (Rochester, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Received the unit on a cold day in Minnesota and waited two days to open the box to make sure it would be at room temp. when installed. It helps to have technical knowledge to install. The manual is complex and, although I have not read it all yet, I suspect that not all the features and caveats are covered.
I am receiving analog and digital cables via cable (basic subscription). If I wanted the cable company to do this for me it would cost me $80 once for the unit plus $35 a month ($420 a year). This unit, although refurbished, looks NEW and works very well for me, since I record a program, watch it within a few days, then erase it.
I particularly appreciate being able to watch a (Netflix)DVD while I am recording on HDD. A very good deal !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVR., November 13, 2011
This is exactly what I've been looking for. It is just like the old VHS recorder/player only with a huge hard drive instead of tape. Instant access to what you recorded. Instantly skip through commercials. Even pause/play of live TV. Just like a TIVO except manual time/channel programming instead of picking show names. And, of course, no monthly charge.

This is also great for making multiple DVD's of your home movies to send to grandparents, aunts and uncles. Put the video on the hard drive and use high speed dubbing to make multiple copies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, October 8, 2011
I've been looking for something like this for awhile. I like what Tivo does; but, I didn't want the service. It does a great job recording both digital and analog channels.

Rate and Discover Movies