Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on September 23, 2010
Easy to setup and use and picture looks great with my hdtv. Would definitely recommend this economical choice for those who enjoy watching movies or homemade dvds. Have had the player for a few months now and have not had any problems.
on July 20, 2011
My husband and I purchased this Magnavox DVD player after returning Sony's current model DVD player for a refund at Walmart. The Sony DVD player constantly emitted a loud buzzing noise as soon as we turned it on. The noise got louder when we tried to play movies. And oddly, the Sony player does not have an eject button on the machine itself. We had to use the remote every time to insert or remove disks. This is inconvenient.

Among other sensible features, the Magnavox DVD player does have an eject button on the front of the machine. The picture and sound quality from the Magnavox player are excellent. The Magnavox is easy to set up and connect to our flat screen TV.

The Magnavox DVD player is reasonably priced as well. It's the same price as the inferior, defective Sony DVD player that we returned. Magnavox was a trusted brand when I was growing up. I owned their TV sets and VHS recorders in the past, and I was always pleased with their performance.

Then somehow I forgot about the Magnavox brand. (Perhaps it's because they don't advertise as much as some other companies do.)

So I can thank Sony's incompetence for leading me back to the Magnavox brand. Now I want to buy more Magnavox products. It's comforting and somewhat rare these days to find a business who hasn't sacrificed quality over the years in order to cut costs. I'm thankful and thrilled that good old reliable Magnavox is still around and continues to make outstanding electronics.
on October 7, 2010
Watching movies on my LCD tv, I was very satisfied to find that the 1080i picture quality was great. I have an extensive collection of movies on DVD and was impressed with the upconverting capabilities of this player. At this price I would say that it's definitely a good deal!
on December 10, 2011
This machine had been purchase at a big box store. The picture was quite nice and it played well initially so eventually I assume I threw away the box and receipt. My picture became quite pixelated and jerky as if the optical system was out of alignment. A disk cleaner did not seem to help. Nor did different disks.

Even though my particular machine was manufactured in april of 2011 the 1 800 606 8610 help line representative said they do not honor the one year manufactures defects if you do not have the actual receipt regardless of the date of purchase or manufacture. The inital sugguestion was to buy a new hdmi cable (do they wear out in 3-4 months too?) Fortunately I know that the store honors warranties even if the Manufacture does not. Magnavox is an old name but the manufacturer is labeled as made in China.

Any manufacturer can have a problem but when they seem to be avoiding warranties it becomes a credability issue.

So keep your receipt if you buy this and make sure you know what the merchants policy is on warranties.
on August 21, 2011
My husband and I purchased this DVD player to use in conjunction with the TV in our bedroom, which is 46" and takes up the width of the dresser it sits on. With a limited amount of space for a DVD player, we knew we had to find something relatively compact in size. This DVD player is a perfect fit! And what's even better, with its HDMI capability, it upconverts standard DVDs, creating a remarkable picture even on a large TV. We couldn't be happier with our purchase.
on March 20, 2011
The Good news is: that the unit is Plug & Play: AC power, HDMI cable and Audio Out to my Surround System receiver.
The Bad news is: that the unit will not play every one of your burned DVDs. It plays some, but not all. It plays the commercial DVDs and many of my burned DVDs, but not all of my burned DVDs. My previous player played them all, before it died.
on January 26, 2012
This is my second one - I shipped the original to a friend who doesn't like shopping for electronics. Nice, simple-to-use unit. Good complement of ports: HDMI, component, composite, S-video, and coax cable. The S-video is handy to hook up to older tv sets if so equipped. HDMI is tops, but S-video isn't bad if that's your best way to connect - certainly far superior to an RCA composite connection. I haven't tried a component cable connection - I've found them to be kinda iffy. Haven't tried a coax connection. The unit comes with the ubiquitous RCA composite cables (I must have a collection of 6 or 7 of these laying around!).

The remote is a bit odd - aren't they all? - insofar as the navigation keys are at the bottom. You get used to it. It does come with AA batteries.

Note: This new one doesn't include the full manual, only a remote control guide. You have to d/l the complete manual from their web site.
on May 6, 2011
We have 3 of these DVD players. Very reliable. Never had any problems with them. They are nice and small, much smaller than they appear in the picture.
on December 19, 2010
Paid $37.88 plus tax at walmart instore. My old player went out and I needed something quick. Didnt want to spend a lot.

Plays everything I put in it so far. I had some issues getting it hooked up but I attribute that to ME more than anything.

Remote is small, hard to see without glasses and not anything special.

Since buying this player, I also added a Roku player to watch netflix streaming. Apparently some Blu-Ray players have it also but from what I read, the roku has a better remote. Not sure if that is true or not.
--------------
Edit, 3 years later, after not using it all for the past year, I got a free re-trial from Netflix so I went back to using this DVD player, which NEVER gave me any issues in the past.

Now it doesn't work. Or the main controls, the ones I always used to use don't work.

Ive managed to get it to play with some of the smaller secondary buttons but its a pain and its harder to start & stop & such.

I guess Im going to have to find an aftermarket remote if I continue to watch DVDs.

I guess I cant complain too much, I did get 3 years of trouble free service from it and for the price, that's good enough.

If anyone knows of a fix for the remote, please tell.
on March 7, 2012
This is an inexpensive but perfectly fine dvd player. There's nothing fancy about it, it's compact and easy to set up/use. True, the remote is poorly designed and it's a bit noisy but hey, for under $40 it's as good as it gets.

One last thing: An HDMI cable didn't markedly improve picture quality over standard RCA cables.