5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it is supposed to
Published on September 4, 2006 by Lauren R. Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars Had a problem
I bought mine at WalMart for $49.95. The picture quality on SP was fine. It was a little hard to program a future recording because you had to scroll up or down for the beginning and ending times; you could not just use the keyboard to enter the hours and minutes.

Published on January 14, 2008 by jp71006

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it is supposed to, September 4, 2006
This review is from: Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD Recorder (Electronics)
I did not have a problem setting up the DVD recorder. I used it with a ViewSonic 17" widescreen tv/monitor. I also have a dvd player hooked up to it. The DVD recorder comes with everything you need to hook it up and I found the instructions easy to follow. The initial set-up of the recorder were also easy to follow and worked perfectly the first time and was very quick.

I just recorded my first DVD in 2 hour mode. The picture does not look any different as it does on the TV (at least not noticeable). It recorded from the exact times I told it to and it recorded the correct channel. I finalized the DVD and put it in my DVD recorder and it played perfectly.

I used the DVD-R for this and I purchased some DVD-RW so that I can erase the TV shows I record.

You can program up to 8 recordings at once. You can title it whatever you want. You can pick to finalize automatically or not. You can pick if you want chapters and how far apart you'd like them.

In addition to everything you need in the back, there are also the audio/video inputs on the front in case you'd like to hook up a camcorder or something of the sort.

If you are wanting to transfer VHS to DVD or hook up a camcorder to record TV shows, this is a perfect choice. It worked just as it was supposed to straight out of the box for less than almost every single DVD Recorder on the market.

There are options to numerous to list on here, so please check them out to see how valuable and wonderful this DVD recorder is. You can't beat purchasing something that performs exactly as it is advertised!

4.0 out of 5 stars The player that went by many names., May 26, 2007
This review is from: Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD Recorder (Electronics)
Reviewer "Joe Pierre" is absolutely correct---this is virtually the same player as the SV2000. In fact, this particular DVD recorder/player is known by many names. Funai Corporation, which is the manufacturer of all of them and parent company to some, sells these under numerous brand names, including the Funai brand as well. Some of these are sold exclusively at Circuit City as PYE. Some are manufactured as Sylvania and Emerson. Mine, available only at Wal-Mart, is known by the name SV2000. Even electronics giant Philips has handed over the manufacturing of their Magnovox brand to Funai! So whether yours is known as PYE, Emerson, Sylvania, SV2000, Magnavox, or Funai, they are all essentially the same machine.

As it is, this DVD player/recorder known by many names is a value-priced, budget-friendly wonder found well under the $100 price range. No, it will not go head to head with the $500 plus players from the likes of NAD, Rotel, Denon, etc. It will, however, deliver as much performance (and hopefully longevity) as such $200 machines manufactured by Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung.

To begin, all of the standard hookups---as expected---are to be found here (S-video, etc.). The player also has a "substantial" appearance and feel to it. In other words, there's very little plastic here and a whole lot of metal! The remote, on the other hand, is cheap, plastic garbage. The buttons are miniscule and not well laid out. There's nothing ergonomic about it either. My pit bull used it as a chew toy and I've not missed it at all. With that being said, budget components have to cut their production costs somewhere and this is obviously where Funai has seen fit to cut. Also, this unit lacks a LED light---no doubt another cost-saving measure.

The sound and vision of this unit are spectacular, especially for the price. There is certainly no truth whatsoever that all DVD players perform essentially the same. They do not! This machine, however, delivers the same level of performance as what one could normally expect from a much more expensive player, and delivers a superior performance to the likes of the el-cheapo, "Black Friday" $19.99 players like Coby, Durabrand, Cyberhome, etc.

I've not had much experience with the recording feature of this unit, but I can at least say that "it works" and does so relatively well. I've not yet recorded from a pay-per-view, but I suspect this would be the best fit since there are no commercials during a ppv movie. Otherwise, owners of a Tivo unit might find a nice complement with this machine since they have the option to go back and edit out commercials and such.

Overall, this is a fine unit that will not break the budget! If you can deal with a dinky remote, the lack of an LED display, and a somewhat slow loading tray, you will no doubt be satisfied with this player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great but wish it had LED display of time and counter, November 18, 2006
This review is from: Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD Recorder (Electronics)
I bought this at Wal-mart for under $100 and think it is a great deal. This is a replacement to my Toshiba that just died after 2 years. It records great. It plays DVDs I recorded on my computer which the Toshiba wouldn't. I only wish that it had a LED display of the time and counter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Had a problem, January 14, 2008
This review is from: Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD Recorder (Electronics)

OK, now the problem. The one I had would loose its memory every night. When I turned it on, it asked "English?", and I had to go through the initial programming all over again. It would also loose all the memory in the area where the 'automatic' recording was stored.

I took it back and got a refund, intending to get another just like it, but they were out and have been out for about 3 weeks. I almost wish I had kept the one I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product would recommend, September 26, 2009
This review is from: Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD Recorder (Electronics)
I work at a transfer studio and we use this DVR to copy from VHS and I use it at home to record my favorite tv shows. It can be used with a converter box. I like that you set the time to record you can enter up to 8 separate days and times to record. The product is very easy to use, very easy to set up. I also like the different recording speeds, you have about 4 choices.

Its a very faithful and good product. I got mine refurbished about 1 month ago and the one we have at work we have had for a long time and gets a beating but it works like a dream.

I would definitely recommend this product to friends and family.

4.0 out of 5 stars DVD Recorder 10D6, May 2, 2008
This review is from: Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD Recorder (Electronics)
Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD RecorderRecorder required a modulator to function with an analog TV set.Works fine except for the remote control which has a bad button for viewing display information. This problem is too minor to worry about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent DVD recorder for under $100, April 23, 2007
Joe Pierre (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD Recorder (Electronics)
I've been looking for some time for a DVD recorder so that I could burn discs of all the stuff I've recorded in my TiVo (actually, I have Dish), so when my Philips DVD player crapped out on me after 5 years or so, I set out for WalMart and picked this one up for $98. (Curiously, WalMart also sells/sold a no-name DVD recorder called a DV2000 that is basically the exact same model made by the company, Funai, without the Magnavox label. Only they were out of stock). I also picked up a stack of Maxell DVD-R discs.

The good news is that the player works just fine so far. It plays DVD's without a glitch (including Netflix DVD's which apparently don't play in some other players due to copy protection issues). I have successfully recorded DVD-R's of my TiVo'ed movies and they play fine on the player, my PC, and a friend's DVD player. They handled the Maxell DVD-R's fine. So compatability seems to be good (so long as you remember to "finalize" the disc). You can do some light editing -- putting titles on the disc, and on chapters. It has a reasonable amount of inputs, including some in the front. All in all, I am pretty satisfied with my $98 purchase -- it does exactly what it claimed to do.

Of course, you get what you pay for. The player doesn't seem all that solidly constructed. It is somewhat slow to power on and slow to respond in general (such as skipping between chapters). The remote is chintzy with tiny little buttons. And, as the review below notes, there is no LED read-out on the front of the player -- therefore, playing time, chapters, and the like can only be viewed onscreen through the remote. That is a bit hard to get used to.

And I really wish the model had Region Free hacks, but none are available so far. Strange since hacks are available for most of the Philips DVD players (and since Philips bought Magnavox and uses the Magnavox label for their low end stuff), which allowed my previous player to play foreign DVD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Seventh Year, June 26, 2013
This review is from: Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD Recorder (Electronics)
Purchased this in 2006 from Walmart and it's still going strong. I have definitely gotten my money's worth. It has gone through over 600 recordings and finalizes, and an out-of-state move. Bought a brand new Magnavox MWR10D6 this year, which will come in handy when this one finally dies. I clean the lens with the Scotch DVD Player Maintenance Kit every week and it really extends the life of the dvd player.

**UPDATE**
The recorder quit working last night (December 27, 2013). The motor makes a loud noise and the door will not open/shut. Hope the other recorder I have lasts as long as this one...or longer. Wish I would have bought more when they were on sale several years ago; since brand new one's are selling for at least $150.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnavox MWR10D6 Review, July 31, 2010
This review is from: Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD Recorder (Electronics)
This is a very-handy DVD Player/Recorder. My wife and I own three -- one for each TV. Having come from the VCR days, it took a while to get accustomed to, however, now we can record and watch shows well. It helped to read the manual. The recorder plays and records well with various DVD formats, such as DVD-R, or DVD-RW.

One suggestion we learned is to manually set the clock setting with Auto Clock Setting off. This is the only way we were able to retain time settings, as suggested by the help line.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY GOOD UNIT!! EASY TO USE! COMES IN HANDY!, May 4, 2012
Mike Virant (UNITED STATES of AMERICA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magnavox MWR10D6 DVD Recorder (Electronics)
I Just Wanted An EAsy to Use High Quality DVD RECORDER, I found This one a few months back for $199 At a Local Store Brand NEW, At First I thought it was a waste of Money, But NOw I Couldnt Live without it, I use it SO MUCH! For Sports, TV Shows, TRansferrring old Tapes to DVD, Easy to use, And VEry SLimline Model! I TRUST MAGNAVOX and their products Thus Far it has been Great. I Lost the REmote, But No problem All Functions Still Can Be Used and Unit Is Fully Functional without the Remote, (It got Lost becuase I never used it...LOL.. But ONCE you GET IT, You will Wonder how you Ever lived without one! It Gets better Each Day I own it as I figure out something else I can record! At First I didnt Use alot But the More I had It The More I used it, You Can Always Use one of These, And It Also SERVES as MY PRIMARY DVD UNIT FOR OUR HOME!
Options: Progressive Scan
DVD RW. PLAY
DVD RW RECORD
DVD PLAYER
CD PLAYER
Has Dolby Digitial REcording! Lots of Inputs FRont and Back! SLiMLINE and GREAT PRODUCT FROM MAGNAVOX I will Keep It FOREVER! Very Durable as well as one Of My Kids Kicked it off the Counter. STill WORKS PERFECT WITH NO ISSUES!!!
LOVE IT! TRy one Out! From what I see they are Kind fo Hard to find right Now But REALLY AFFORDABLE Compared to me Paying about $200 Plus Tax, Sure you can Pick one Up for around $100-$125 bucks, IT IS A GOOD BUY IF You USE DVDS ALOT and WANT TO RECORD HIGH QUALITY FOR CHEAP!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›