Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Magnavox ZC320MW8B Progressive Scan DVD±RW Recorder w/Line-in Recording
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 19, 2012
When I purchased this recorder at a local retail store, I was told I couldn't record TV programs because it had no tuner and since I don't have cable TV. Since, I bought it to record my Sony Handicam videos to DVD, plus record from my computer,it was no big deal. However, in theory, I felt that a digital converter box was a tuner, so I connected a converter box, as an "external tuner", and voila, it worked! I'm able to record all the digital TV stations in my area, both timed and instant recording. I called the store and informed the salesperson of this information, in case any other customers questioned this ability. So far it works fine.
1616 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2012
Great product... I have recorded 2 dvd's from an old S-VHS camcorder. S-Video in works great. Instructions are a bit lacking and the user interface is really minimal and kinda hard to figure out. I still give this device 5 stars because of what you get for the price. If you need to get any old videos onto DVD, this thing will do the job.

***Update*** I have finished getting my videos onto DVD so I am no longer using the recorder... So, I won't be able to answer your questions as I have been able to in the past.
1616 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2012
this item came very fast,in very good like new condition, player recorder works exellent,there is no visible counter, the set up counter is viewed on tv, but the price for this is very cheap and recorder records exellent and plays dvd back very good if you need a good low cost player recorder buy this one from this dealer.
on April 1, 2013
This is the second one of these that I bought and it works great. I do a lot of movie recordings and had to replace a very old recorder that finely gave up the ghost.

One feature I really like is that in addition to the usual 2,4, and six hour record modes, it has 2.5 and 3 hours also. This means a movie that may run five or ten minutes longer than two hours doesn't have to be recorded in the four hour mode.

In response to some of the negative reviews, I say know what you are buying ahead of time. Like most recorders sold today, it does not have a tuner which means you need a cable or satellite receiver or a digital converter. It doesn't record in HD. It's an inexpensive, basic, no-frills recorder. If that's all you need this should be just.
on August 24, 2012
I purchased this to archive programs I wished to save that were stored on a DVR whose hard drive was starting to show signs of failure. Although it cannot record in full HD, the recordings are excellent quality SD, and meet my purposes. Although refurbished, it looks and performs as brand new.
on February 7, 2013
I do the work of Video transfer professionally. The machine is rock solid, no discs have come back for having errors, thousands have been made. I never do reviews, this is my first. I wanted to tell everyone this machine is great!
on November 23, 2012
Since I received my DVD recorder it has been in almost constant use. It is a basic, simple machine that does the job intended for it well. If you don't require a lot of bells and whistles than this is the machine for you.
on March 26, 2014
My Magnavox ZC320MW8B Progressive Scan DVD±RW Recorder w/Line-in Recording arrived on time and in good condition. This unit works great. There is no coaxial in the back. There is no clock in the front, but there is a clock internally so you can program your DVD recorder to turn on at a desired time slot. You can record on DVDs and set it to record in several speeds, from 1 hour up to 6 hours. In 1 hour mode you use up all of DVD space, so I tend to record everything in 6 hour mode. Your TV set needs to have a component hookup, otherwise this unit will not work because it does not have HDMI, AV(yellow, red, white RCA's), nor does it have coaxial. This is a great product. I like recording with DVDs, especially since the costs of VHS are rising and harder to find. I give this product a rating of 5 stars.
on September 29, 2012
it works well but took me a while to try to figure out how to set it up and record with the timer. you must be sure to clean the dvds. I carefully made notes and that helped a lot when I went to record after the first time.
on August 28, 2012
Purchased mainly to transfer old VHS tapes to DVD. Worked like a charm, although the user interface is poorly documented and often obscure. Initially, I would often be stuck where I couldn't get to desired menus, and was ending up turning off/on or ejecting/reinserting the disk. Solved this by hitting the Stop button between operations, even if the DVD was neither recording nor playing and there was no logical reason to do so. Can't beat the price. Excellent quality recording of cable broadcasts (non-HD) -- works with all the channels we get, although we don't subscribe to any premium channels.

CONS
- It is what it is: Only S-Video and RCA inputs and outputs; no tuner; no onboard display; no Hi-Def recording.
- Slow operations, although not painfully so. Don't know if this may be typical for DVRs.
- Poor user interface, complicated by the fact it has no display on-board (must navigate menus displayed on TV to figure out how the unit is set).

PROS
- It works! Bulletproof so far (have made a few tens of recordings).
- Low price.
- Indistinguishable from a new product.
- High quality of recordings for what it is (although not high definition).

Even with the clunky user interface, decided it deserved 5 stars because of its high value to cost --- it plain works, and paid for itself several times over compared with having a commercial service transfer my tapes, and I'm left with a DVD player/recorder to boot!