If you can get one of these refurbished for around a hundred bucks or so, this is a great alternative to buying all of your old VHS tapes, etc. again.

The lack of a tuner isn't going to be a deal breaker for most people, but if you need a tuner you should look at the ZV457MG9. Try to get a refurbished on there, too.

For this machine, the pros are...
Published 16 months ago by L. Gildart

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Stuff
Published 24 months ago by Arbuckle McClintock

5.0 out of 5 stars This actually does up convert - outputs VHS tapes over an hdmi cable, March 12, 2013

For this machine, the pros are that it's easy to set up, they seem to last just about forever - at least the refurbished ones do, and picture quality is very good. You can record from VHS to DVD as long as you're not trying to record copy-protected material, and if you finalize the disk correctly, it should play in any DVD player. I haven't used this function in a really long time, having gone mostly to digital movie rentals and storing my home movies on itty bitty sd cards. Another plus is that everything will output to your tv over one hdmi cable. Finally, you've got a lot of inputs with this, so you can have several different AV sources.

The only cons are that you may need adapters for some older equipment (anything that needs the old antenna/cable input or output) and the thing is actually kind of big and ugly. Other than that, it is awesome. And the remote is HUGE (love it - I have some visual impairment).

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Stuff, July 14, 2012
We have had thus unit for over 3 years and have had nothing but trouble with. If you a player this will work. If you want a recorder try a different one. I am now on hold with Magnavox because the clock will not advance, therefore the recorder won't work either. I can't recall a time I have been able to record without spending an hour getting it setup and then nine out of ten times I come back and it didn't work. It is not user friendly. I will never buy a Magnovox product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could give this one no stars!, November 6, 2012
This review is from: Magnavox ZV427MG9 DVD Recorder / VCR with Line-In Recording (No Tuner) (Electronics)
I paid good cash for this unit new. I did not buy it through Amazon. I wish I had done a search here first. Not only was this unit difficult to use, it was only a short time before the VHS player went AWOL. The DVD player/Recorder followed along shortly. I spent hours burning many of my favorite movies from TV and home movies from my camcorder and now they are all "going away" too. Head cleaners did not help. This was the worst piece of electronics I have ever owned and like another reviewer I will never buy another Magnavox piece of equipment again! I'm so put off by this I'm afraid to even consider buying any DVD recorder now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, July 7, 2013
I didn't realize that no tuner also meant no standard coax input. This is an issue when your cable box has ONLY coax output. With a little creative wiring, hooking this device up to the DVD/VCR unit this one was to replace, I can now watch/record shows as they air on TV. This will work until I get around to getting a proper RF converter at Walmart.

This is a great unit, just remember it does not accept coax cable input. If your cable/sat receiver has RCA (red/yellow/white) the supplied cables will have you up and running in no time. This unit can also handle component connectors, but you will need to buy the proper cables. There is an HDMI out port that can be used to connect to an HDTV, or you could use one of the previously mentioned connection possibilities.

The picture quality is quite nice and recording to DVD is clear in standard mode (SP 2hrs of recording on standard DVDs). As this is a "no tuner" device you can't watch one program while recording another, Also, if you don't have cable/sat you'll want a different unit as you will not be able to change channels, or even hook it up for that matter.

But if you are looking for a decent device and have a cable/sat receiver box this unit is well worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnavox ZV427MG9, May 26, 2013
I gave this four stars because although it performs as described like all others it lacks an HDMI input. The quality of the recordings and upconverting are very good and perform flawlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars -Really nice;great price & shipping-highly recommended and a super buy!, May 2, 2013
Magnavox ZV427MG9 Upconverting VCR/DVD Recorder, No Tuner-Really nice;great price & shipping-highly recommended and a super buy! Shopped around and this was an unbelievable deal-Thanks!

2.0 out of 5 stars Lack of total honesty by seller Kaz Connections, June 7, 2014
this item was an open box product labeled as new . scratches on the metal rear cabinet and the plastic covering inside had been retaped This product was not wrapped for consumer protection , it was wrapped this way because it had been opened . For further comparison to attest that this was an open box item . I Purchased this same exact ZV427MG9 DvD recorder February 17, 2014 from Amazon , and that one was a new product .I will never purchase from this company" Kaz Connections" ever again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Magnavox ZV427MG9 DVD Recorder/VCR with Line-In Recording (No Tuner), April 25, 2014
It looked nice and all but we could not in any way get it to even play a dvd or vhs tape on the tv. We tried everything even a RF hook up, nothing. Had to send it back. Almost 2 weeks now and haven't received our refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars magnavox zv427mg9, March 8, 2014
arrived ahead of schedule and in perfect operating condition. great item.it does everything that it is supposed to do. great job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied Customer, January 17, 2014
Very satisfied with this purchase, it was everything that I expected and I would definitely recommend this item to a friend.

Rate and Discover Movies