5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!
I had a very limited space for the holder: the side of a cabinet above the kitchen sink. This knife holder fit perfectly. The magnets are strong enough that I trust my $140 Shun chef's knife to it - but not so strong that it's a chore taking the knife down. Very sturdy, very easy to install - overall a perfect choice for my needs.
Published on February 5, 2009 by Derek R. Curtis

1.0 out of 5 stars TEST BEFORE MOUNTING!!
I have no doubt that many of these work - too many folks are happy with them.
They cost twice as much as others because they are metal-clad, not because they are stronger.

Published 10 months ago by Adeba

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, February 5, 2009
Derek R. Curtis (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnetic Rack, June 20, 2009
Don Fulano (Las Cruces, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10" Magnetic Knife Holder by RSVP International (Kitchen)
Needed 10" rack. This is perfect. Magnetic contact strips are not co-planar.IE the knives don't touch all four contact points, always touch 2 points, usually 3 points. Seems adequate, knives attach strongly to the strip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 10" Magnetic Knife Holder, March 16, 2009
This review is from: 10" Magnetic Knife Holder by RSVP International (Kitchen)
This is a wonderful solution for a small smace. It has easy installation and works perfectly. I highly recommend this product to anyone working with a small storage area.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, November 27, 2008
This review is from: 10" Magnetic Knife Holder by RSVP International (Kitchen)
I ordered two magnetic knife holders to install on both sides of the working area in my kitchen. They were really easy to install and work perfectly. They blend in so well even in my old fashioned decor.

1.0 out of 5 stars TEST BEFORE MOUNTING!!, October 15, 2013
Adeba (cleveland, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10" Magnetic Knife Holder by RSVP International (Kitchen)
I have no doubt that many of these work - too many folks are happy with them.

BUT tho the design is the same as similar companies' that work, quality control apparently does not include a test, so you won't know til YOU test the strength with a knife. You should do this before mounting.

WHEN THEY FAIL, HERE'S WHY:
The design has two 9" magnets, one above the other. Having knives touch magnets directly would make them harder to lift off, so each magnet has a 2 thin steel runners, slightly deeper than the magnet, one along each side - so that your knife attaches to the 4 steel runners.

Or it should. IF the runners are too "tall" - if they stick out too far beyond the magnet - the magnetic force is weaker, and, well, unless you want to hang pins and needles on it, you have to return the unit.

The one i got couldn't hold a paring knife well, and a thin japanese vegetable knife started sliding immediately. A larger *all steel* knife didn't have a chance.

Because this unit is encased even at the ends, there is no way to tell how thick the magnets are. On the Norco units, you can see that the magnets are about 1/2 thick. (this means you can also hang things there :->) The Norco units i ordered have a better grip - i will be able to use them for small garden tools.

I only wanted this unit for medium weight knives in my kitchen : i ordered it because it was the only one this short.

By the way, NONE of these are as good as the 18" one i bought maybe 15 years ago: ONE magnet, similar exposed width but almost an INCH deep, with steel runners almost 1/8" thick above and below. All the current products have two strips with runners, each with about half the dimensions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnetic Kife Rack, February 22, 2008
It was the only 10" magnet holder I could find anywhere! It works perfectly, is so convenient, and looks like has always been there. Picking a knife while already busy around the kitchen is so much easier and the counter is so much cleaner without a huge knife block. You can never clean those well anyway.

1.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing defects plague this holder, January 20, 2010
This review is from: 10" Magnetic Knife Holder by RSVP International (Kitchen)
I've used other magnetic knife bars before and have NEVER had this problem.

I ordered 3 of the RSVP 10" magnetic knife holders. On all three of them, there were severe manufacturing defects that prevent the four magnetic bars from lining up with one another. If the bars don't line up, the knife isn't supported well on the wall, often only held by 2 of the bars instead of four. This results in the knife being barely held to the wall.

I hoped that it was a problem with just one or two of them, so I ordered three total. All of them were bad, some of them were worse than others.

Terrible knife bar. I suggest a different model!

I'm returning mine...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great holders, December 5, 2009
gnosnhoj (Hopkinsville, KY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10" Magnetic Knife Holder by RSVP International (Kitchen)
Perfect fit for our cabinet size and kitchen decor. Well designed, well made and simple to mount. They are securely holding everything from 12" carver to 8" chef to 3" paring knives.
I just ordered two more to get the rest of our cutlery out of a blade-damaging drawer.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was going to give a four..., November 8, 2012
This review is from: 10" Magnetic Knife Holder by RSVP International (Kitchen)
I thought the price was on the high side, so I was going to rate it a four, but after some reflection I decided on a five. First of all it was the one and only choice in that size. Which made it the only one that would fit on the side of one of my kitchen cabinets and still look good. It's a high quality brushed stainless steel with two magnets and 4 points of contact. My knives make 3 of the four points of contact which is more than adequate to hold them in place (other reviewers have complained of issues with the magnetic bars not doing the job, not a problem here). I opted to chuck the supplied screws and bought #6 flathead bolts and a few nuts (all in stainless) at Home Depot to mount the unit. I had to drill all the way through the cabinet, but that holder in now on forever... Three knives fit easily with plenty of room, or maybe 4 smaller knives. Four large knives, I think might be a little cramped. Shipping was (as usual) fast and effortless. All in all a great purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Imperfect, but in that charming human way, April 14, 2012
This review is from: 10" Magnetic Knife Holder by RSVP International (Kitchen)
Kitchen wisdom visits you the day you understand that your cutting needs are met with only a good chef's knife, a good utility knife, a straightening steel, and the skills to use them. Serrated bird's beak deboning shears are gadgets that will be taken for a test drive and relegated to the back of the drawer of shame, where they will make friends with the asparagus peeler, avocado pitter, and couscous fluffer. That is precisely why a 10-inch knife holder is plenty. Perhaps not surprisingly, most knife holders--presumably perpetuating the propaganda that more is a moral good--begin at 12 inches and grow from there.

So there aren't that many choices for a a knife holder for the kitchen-wise. Does that mean we can't ask that the slim pickings be a bit better?

I WISH that the magnetic strips lined up better so that the blade may make contact with all of them for a more secure hold...
...BUT the forged knives (8-inch chef and 6-inch utility) have so far stayed attached through 5 months of daily use and a couple of 3.5 earthquakes, with added bonus that a gentle pull is all that's required to grab a knife off of it. I would probably have felt less comfortable if this knife holder had been in a high-traffic area above my toes, but that's doubtlessly true of all knife holders. I have it attached to the backsplash underneath a cabinet, so the only moving objects in its vicinity are my hands in search of a knife. And should a knife fall, it'll land on the countertop two inches below. No need for a Sword of Damocles setup here.

I WISH that the wall anchor hardware that came with it was not so flimsy that it folded on itself with the slightest pressure...
...BUT wall anchors are (quite possibly literally) a dime a dozen at the local hardware store. If you're installing the knife holder on a wood surface, say on the side of a kitchen cabinet, you won't need to drill a hole for the wall anchors first. Naturally, you shouldn't install it on a cabinet door, or on any non-vertical surface.

I WISH that the magnets were strong enough for the straightening steel's small contact points...
...BUT in honesty the straightening steel is bulky, and I prefer it in the drawer anyway.

I WISH stainless steel fit French provincial decor as well as it did Eames midcentury modern minimalism...
...AND it does!