5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous choral voices surrounding you
I hesitated to buy this disc until a friend told me he knew one of the members of Chanticleer; then again I also had nothing like it in my collection. The sound is rich and resonant. You should know it is recorded realistically, in a variety of soundfields, i.e. sometimes there is a processional from front to rear, sometimes choruses on upper left/right, or from all...
Published on February 2, 2002 by David R. Stone

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing performance practice
Published on December 25, 2001 by Rebecca M

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly, January 3, 2003
This is one of my first two DVD-audio discs. Some tracks are recorded from the audience perspective, with the choir across the front and cathedral ambience all around, and those are beautiful, but I gotta say I love the, "choir-around the room" recordings a little more. Track 3 in particular has the choir "doubled" with parts recorded seperately with the choir at the rear of the cathedral, a then they moved 'em all down front, and stuck the tracks together through the magic of digital editing. I don't have a DVD-audio player yet so I'm just listening to the compressed Dolby 5.1 tracks. Can't imagine it sounding any better, though. Get this disc. Seriously, do it so you can go to heaven!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing performance practice, December 25, 2001
Rebecca M (Somerville, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magnificat (Audio CD)
Although this album does not differ from any other Chanticleer album in its gorgeous sound, the performances of Palestrina and Josquin are...well, boring. Contrary to popular belief, this music was not to be done at a snail's pace. The Josquin Ave Maria is one of the most beautiful motets ever written and is a clear example of his imitative writing and expression of the text. This performance is so slow however, the piece become a series of nice dissonances and sonorities rather than anything reflecting Josquin's humanistic homage to the Virgin Mary.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful sound, February 8, 2014
This review is from: Magnificat (Audio CD)
If you enjoy a beautiful chorus sound, this is it. Chanticleer rarely misses with their music and If you have never seen them in person, you'll be amazed at this all-male chorus's music. I play it regularly as I sit during a calming period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificat, January 8, 2012
Christine E Clary (APO, AP United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magnificat (Audio CD)
I am listening to the CD for relaxation during the day and also at night going to sleep. It is just wonderful and I really enjoy the music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better each time., December 15, 2010
A friend sent me Magnificat, and from there I became a lover of Chanticleer. This cd got me through many a night when white noise (or is it pink) would have been maddening. Originally, I listened to relax and not hear ambient sounds. But one night I realized I was anticipating each track and chanting in my heart as the singers did. It is prayerful and deep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good music at a good price, August 4, 2013
Movie Buff (Tampa, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magnificat (Audio CD)
I enjoy Chanticleer. And although this is not my most favorite recording, it is very enjoyable, especially when I want to relax. I was also fortunate to get this from a provider who had very few in stock and was selling it at a really good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous sound, March 7, 2002
By A Customer
This recording wraps you up in a gorgeous sonority, and I'm only listening in stereo. I can't wait to hear it when I fill out my speaker ensemble.

ARRAY(0x9979c39c)

Magnificat
Magnificat by Chanticleer (Audio CD - 2000)