Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now Tikes

on July 18, 2010
I've been on a long quest to find an antenna that would bring in my favorite FM station, 60 miles away. I live in hilly, rural country -- but I'm on top of one of those hills. The simple dipole that came with my receiver didn't receive this station at all. I then tried several amplified antennas that sit table-top. One of them got me very fuzzy reception. I then tried the Terk FM-50, exterior-mounted on the side of my house. It was gave me reception, though with considerable static, even after experimenting with different locations, positions. Then I bought the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 -- by a factor of 2X, the most expensive option I tried. I mounted it on the best wall (after experimenting with different locations) inside my garage. It received this desired station better than any of the previous options I tried, but with some low-level, background static. [Eventually, I tried an omnidirectional Weingard HD-6010 (ca. $25, including mounting bracket) -- mast-mounted (short length of pipe) from the high ceiling inside my garage. Great reception; no static.] This Magnum Dynalab might work better for you than it did for me, but based on my experience, I'd recommend a simple omnidirectional mast-mount.
on January 8, 2011
The ST-2 works fine for me on my 3rd fl roof, no mast needed in Brooklyn, NY.
Pulls in most stations well however, my handy man friend had to slightly tilt the
antenna to get my favorite station which has a slightly weak transmitter, but this
tilt ( tilted away from the station direction, though set up vertically)
did the trick while I listened carefully for static to disappear which it did!
All other area stations stayed true to tune. I have a couple of nearby buildings
slightly taller than mine however, no problems. Also using a Magnum Dynalab tuner.
on July 4, 2010
I'm living in an apartman flat in an urban area and I'm a good radio listener. I used many top model modern and vintage fm tuners from well reputaded manufacturers until now. Then finally I got magnum dynalab MD-90T triod tube fm tuner and I see that it's a real engineering marvel. But as a tuner it's reception sometimes naturally was affected by weather conditions. Then I decided to try MD's indoor/outdoor fm antenna ST-2. I was planning to put in balcony but its performance is so perfect even when placed indoor, I haven't changed its position in my room.

Wheather it's a distant or local station, its reception now incredibly perfect and I'm really more than happy.

Of course it's a little bit expensive but If you can afford, you'll be not disappointed.
on June 2, 2013
I purchased this antenna about 15 years ago through an ad in Stereophile Magazine and installed it on an eave of my roof and ran the cabling nearly 100 feet (I have to purchase more cabling) and using a 300 Ohm Balun connected (not provided) it to my Denon receiver which at that time was a stereo model. I lived 38 miles from a major FM radio market which included some relatively low power classical stations I liked to listen to. The results were astounding when I was able to pull in that smallish signal from the station. Fast forward 15 years and a retirement, we moved to a rural location in a different state. I unhooked my antenna and put it up on the side of a metal building which is my shop/office/storage facility. The results are outstanding. Here again I am about 28 miles from a local university campus and FM radio market and 58 miles from the state capital which is another major radio market and 79 miles from a major metropolitan area. I am able to connect to most of the stations within 60 miles of my hilly location and on good days the major metropolitan market. Let's be honest, FM signals even on a good day will rarely travel more than 50 miles LOS (line of sight) without the aid of a decent antenna. Unlike AM which actually bounces off the atmosphere to reach your radio (thats why you have a better nighttime signal), FM signals are basically on a straight line from the stations antenna to your radio's antenna. Anytime you can get a FM antenna outside and up as high as you can place it, a simple dipole wire (two wires facing opposite from each other) will work great, in fact the longer the better. The lowest frequency of the FM band is 88 mHz is roughly 3.4 meter wavelength or nearly 11.2 feet so at a minimum to have good reception at the lowest frequency of the FM band you should have a half wave dipole, remember two wires facing opposite directions uncoupled, of 5.1 feet each. Since wavelength goes down as the FM frequency goes up, the dual 5.1 foot wire will be adequate for the entire band. Ideally a dipole antenna of a full wavelength of 11.2 feet, each wire, would give you excellent reception when you live close to a FM radio market.

Not having taken this antenna apart, I would guess that in the base of the unit there is wire being wrapped around a dielectric and the length of the wire is equal to our frequency example above or about 11.2 feet which explains why the antenna gets such good reviews.

If you live in a rural area, I mean really rural, this antenna should work great for you, It has for me.
on August 27, 2013
I have a Denon receiver that I have struggled with to find an FM antenna that provided decent reception. The simple wire supplied with the Denon was in a word, useless. I could not get any stations using that.

I then purchased a custom tunable indoor "rabbit ear" FM antenna that while a bit better, only allowed me to receive a few relatively close-by local stations. Living in the NYC metro area (I'm only about 20 miles outside of the city), I could not receive any of the NYC stations.

After some additional research, I purchased a relatively expensive ($50) dipole antenna that was guaranteed to pull in the weakest station. Sadly, its reception was worse than the rabbit ear. In desperation, I did quite a bit of research and came across the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna.

All I am going to say is - What a dramatic difference! Even with the antenna inside, I was suddenly getting stations I knew were out there that I never could receive before - now in full, glorious stereo sound. While I don't have a chimney mast, what I did end up doing is mounting the Dynalab ST-2 outside using the supplied mount and some industrial strength Velcro, fastening it to the outside window frame with the Velcro. Not only did that hold, but the reception also improved dramatically.

Is the the Dynalab ST-2 worth it? Yes, absolutely. It was worth every penny. It's impeccably constructed, weather resistant and came with 25 ft. of coax cable. The improvement in reception with this antenna is night and day. I highly recommend this unit if you are struggling with FM reception for your home receiver or home theater unit. I am totally pleased with this purchase.
on April 2, 2013
The Magnum Dynalab is a huge improvement from the old Radio Shack antenna I had used. I live in a particularly difficult reception area. I get many more stations, but still can't get some of the ones I wanted. Nonetheless, I am very satisfied with the improvement I did get.
on February 19, 2014
I've tried many different types of FM antennas, barring a rooftop yagi type.

The indoor folded dipole that often comes with a receiver, rabbit ears - amplified and unamplified, and a wound loop type all failed to get the nearby FM stations let alone one PBS broadcaster about 45 to 50 miles from my home.
I'm now getting both of them easily and have yet to mount it outside.
As soon as it's warmer I'll be putting it up on a ham tower which I hope will allow me to receive even (slightly) more distant stations.
I'll update when I have some new info.

All in all I couldn't be any happier with this antenna.
on March 13, 2014
To prepare for the re-roof of our home, I had a handyman remove the 30 year old TV antenna (and rotor) and install the ST-2. I have a receiver with an HD FM tuner and this antenna works great, the sound quality is especially good when receiving an HD FM station. It was easy to install, comes with 25' of high quality 75 ohm cabling and looks to be made of top quality components.
on November 5, 2013
The Antenna has improved my radio reception, but not as well as expected. I have it mounted on top of my shop roof which would place it about 15 feet above grade. Suspect the nearby tree element could be causing some of the reception problems. Trying to pull in a couple of favorite FM stations about fifty miles away. Seems to be a well made product.
on April 4, 2015
I live out in the country and my Adcom FM tuner was only able to pick up two...maybe three stations. Using the supplied cable and using an indoors mounting location I've been able to fill the first bank of presets, all at full strength. Frankly, I only saved the stations I like and could have added more.