4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe, bad squeaking
Published on February 14, 2011 by Steve M.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good at first, but fell apart after 6 months.
*Update*
Published on August 19, 2010 by Rush

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe, bad squeaking, February 14, 2011
Steve M. "The Fox" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magnum Men's Viper Low Sneaker (Apparel)
This is a great shoe. They are comfortable (although it did take a few days to break them it). They are presentable and really durable. I put my shoes though TORTURE and so far these have held up pretty well. They have maintained their shape quite well. They kind of do feel somewhat like running shoes while on the move. Although they say they are not water resistant, they do keep out water really well. I say they tend to keep out about 90% of the water, and I have tested them though rainstorms and somewhat deep puddles.

HOWEVER, like other reviewers say, they easily developed squeaks. One of them developed a squeak in just one week after use. There was nothing I could do to get rid of the squeak. Oh well, since I usually work outdoors, it doesn't bother me too much since I can't really hear them, but it could be a nuisance for others.

Overall great shoe, squeaking likely to develop, but great price! Definitely a 5 star shoe if it were not for that darn squeaking!

UPDATE: MAY 20, 2011

After about 5 months of prolong use (5 days a week, 8 hrs a day), I have noticed significant wear on the inside of the shoe around the sides of the heel area. It is fairly not too much of a nuisance although I can't ignore the fact that these shoes are definietly wearing out after 5 months. I also noticed the sole becoming slightly disattached on the sides where it meets the shoe, but that can be easily repaired. Laces have wornd down a bit (but that's no biggie as laces always wear out fast in any shoe), there are some small cracks on the skin, and sadly the other shoe has begun to squeak too.

I am an EMT so I put a fair amount of work into them, but not as much as one might think. I spend half my day sitting or standing, and half the day on the move. I am usually not very cautious of taking care of them, if I need to step somewhere, anywhere in anything, I will. But the wear I see in these are definitely not caused by the lack of care. Definitely just wear and tear. In fact the rest of the shoe has held on great! The sole is still solid, the tounge perfectly intact and they are still comfortable.

However, think I might just try another shoe beacause 5 months seems too quick to see this kind of wear after the use I put in them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Third Pair - Nice shoes, September 3, 2011
This is the 3rd pair I am buying. They fit me perfect right out of the box. My heels are hard on shoes. They like to wear out the back of shoes quickly. My past two pairs lasted me each about a year. Then the inside back started to wear and tear. The rest of the shoe held up great. I wear these 40 hours a week for work and love the comfort factor. Last two pairs never had a squeaking issue. Hope this new pair coming does not either. A great work shoe for standing and walking around a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnum Men's Viper, May 26, 2014
Excellent value for a work shoe - As a postal worker I walk many miles a day and this shoe has ample toe room and a good heel cup to keep my foot seated properly. It is a very comfortable walking shoe and it is fairly waterproof and a gusseted tongue to keep out debris. The collar is low enough that it doesn't wear on my Achilles tendon and the tongue is cut low enough so it doesn't bother my tendons on the front of my ankle either. Truly a great bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfort and Value., June 22, 2014
RJW (Keller,Texas) - See all my reviews
I have worn these shoes for several year while they were provided by my work place. They have since removed them from the catalog of shoes they provide since they are not made in America. All of the others shoes I can get for free don't compare for fit, comfort and value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good at first, but fell apart after 6 months., August 19, 2010
*Update*
So after 6 months, the sole is now falling off the front of one of the shoes, with the other one looking as though it's nearing that point, as well. I have a different pair of shoes for exercising, yet somehow your standard working at a desk and hanging out at the bars lifestyle caused this pair to break down before the workout shoes, which I've had for over a year now. The lack of durability is very disappointing, as these were very comfortable shoes.

At least the squeaking stopped after a month or two. They were just about perfect until the toe area started falling apart.

Original review:
They're definitely one of the comfiest pairs of shoes I've ever worn, took a couple days to break in, though. They look quite a bit dressier than I originally thought, they really don't mix well with shorts. The biggest complaint I have is the squeaking. I feel a bit like the manufacturer didn't really test the shoe all that much, and every step you take, you can hear the air pocket in the heel squeak.

5.0 out of 5 stars SLIP PROOF and a really comfortable shoe !, May 1, 2014
I like this low cut shoe alot because it has really good slip oil resistance bottoms and is very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Im a butcher and need a good slip resistance shoe so its great on that, the insole molds to the shape of your foot and has a custom feel after a couple weeks, my boots/shoes get wet at the end of every day and i need a shoe that does not get my socks wet and the viper does a good job . The only thing i dont like is the clear bubble "air" in the heel . After 5 months that cracks from the constant wetness and starts to hiss when you walk from air and water being pressed out. Other than that this is my 2nd pair and i will buy again

5.0 out of 5 stars Great duty shoes for this officer, July 2, 2013
The fit and build of these low tops is top rate. I expect that they'll be durable and continue to be as comfortable as the few times I have worn them so far. Good price too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Black shoes, size blues, November 18, 2012
The Magnum Viper shoes are well made and look good, with a high quality liner and thick knobby sole. The upper is a smooth leather with a semigloss finish. I had to return the order though because one shoe was too small. They were both labeled as 11w, but one was too tight, and upon inspection it looks noticeably smaller than the other, maybe a 10 or 10.5. I'm getting an exchange instead of a refund because I do like the shoes. The laces also seem a bit short, and I'll probably have to get a longer set or just not use the top pair of eyelets.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable But Doesn't Hold Up, August 26, 2012
This review is from: Magnum Men's Viper Low Sneaker (Apparel)
This is my fourth pair of Magnum Vipers. The first pair held up very well with daily wear for nearly two years. My work consisted of a lot of walking and yard work. However, the next three pairs had issues with sole separation starting at the toe. I only got about 6 months out of them before the separation started. I like these shoes for their comfort and they allow me to do what I need to do with no problem. They are also the only shoes that I have found that support my corrective orthotics, so I will continue to purchase them, although I am disappointed with the amount of wear I get out of them. This last pair I have still look nice, but the left sole has almost completely separated from the upper. I would have it fixed, but I have no other shoes to wear, so I "goo glue" it myself. The separation includes both coming unsewn, and unglued. When it first happened with my second pair of Magnums, I thought it was a freak thing since my first pair held up so well. But when the next two pair also came apart, I decided the first pair must have been the freak thing. I see other people have had the same issue. I wish Magnum would address it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Creaky/squeaky problem - 3 pairs out of 3 - Annoying!, April 4, 2008
Jimmy K. (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
Although this is one of the most comfortable shoes that I have ever worn, and I love the look & style, every pair that I buy inevitably develops a very loud squeaky/creaky sound. Because I loved the comfort & design I kept hoping that the next pair would not have any problems. As far as I'm concerned, three strikes and you're out.

Magnum Men's Viper Low Sneaker