4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect
Great charging circuit. Charges single cells. I hate when you have to stick two at a time. I've had other "smart" chargers that have a discharge function but not independently. Think of it as eight separate chargers. I also discharge cells manually with a simple lamp, but then I have to remember to take them out.
Power supply is outside the box.
We'll see how...
Published on August 15, 2008 by S. L.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away
Published on April 18, 2012 by Jake

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, August 15, 2008
This review is from: Maha PowerEx MH-C808M Ultimate Professional Charger for Eight AA/AAA/C/D NiMH/NiCD Batteries (Accessory)
Power supply is outside the box.
We'll see how long this one lasts.

Negatives:
No cover, but I could use a piece of plastic.
Once the cells are in (over few seconds), the soft and cycle buttons don't work.
And if you want to cycle and soft charge, you have to remember the button sequence, which I've already forgotten, within five seconds.

Others:
I don't understand how some people say that the plastic housing is so great. Its plastic, what's there to say?
The cell contacts feel like they can come off if you push them too hard. What's the word...cheap.

(above 8/15/2008)

1/27/2009
A drained cell won't charge on this device because it can't detect the cell being there. So, do keep a "dumb" charger handy to assist this "smart" charger.
Put the drained cell in the "dumb" charger for ten seconds, then put it in the "smart" charger and let it complete its job.
It's still a good charger. It just tries too hard to be smart.

EDIT:
6/4/2009
Unit still alive.
I forgot to mention that a battery gets very hot during charge.
It's less hot if you do a slow or soft charge. But heat during charge is normal. So don't panic.
The people who say that batterys don't get hot are ... well, questionable.

EDIT:
6/17/2010
Unit still alive.
Loaded with dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality battery charger, February 17, 2007
T. Ching "Poker bum" (LAS VEGAS, NEVADA United States) - See all my reviews
This battery charger is a winner. Batteries stays cool (a good thing) fast & slow rates of charge. No overcharging, it seems to FULLY CHARGE the big C & D sizes rather quickly, about 5 or 6 hours. Each battery size has it's own charging points, fixed contacts no springs sliding a metal bar against the battery, less stuff to wear out & break. You can charge AA ,AAA, C & D sizes but not 9 volt. about the only down side to this product. According to sales lit. with proper power cords you can charge around the world. Maha also makes wonderful rechargeable batteries have been using AA, AAA & D sizes for 6 months no problems so far. Mine cost about $ 90 twice what other cheaper crappier chargers go for(some cheapies don't charge big sized/highly rated mAh batteries fully) Thomas Distribution seems to be the cheapest & very reliable vendor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away, April 18, 2012
I thought this was a top of the line charger when I got it. I've had it replaced twice by the manufacturer. The first one started smoking. The second had one charging port that wouldn't work at all. I kept the third one and use it to soft charge AA batteries only when I'm around. There's no way I'd leave this thing unattended for the hours that reconditioning cycles require. I just tried a soft reconditioning of some AA batteries, and the unit keeps getting frozen in the discharge phase. I've let it sit overnight with no change. Even when I remove the batteries, the display stays frozen until I unplug the unit.

I have always loaded the batteries with the correct polarity, in the correct order (highest capacity > lowest capacity), and always on a hard countertop with plenty of air circulation.

I just got a MH-C9000 from the same manufacturer, and so far it's working great. I may get another and dump the MH-C808M. This is not worth the fire risk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good charger for big batteries, April 11, 2009
M. Lane (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
This is a very good charger for bigger batteries (C & D-cell). It is very easy to use and works well.

If you want a charger just for AA or AAA, get the La Crosse Technology BC-900 AlphaPower Battery Charger. The BC-900 has many more features and has a LCD display with lots of information about the charging.

The good:
1) You can insert up to 8 batteries at a time (AAA, AA, C, or D).
2) This is an intelligent charger not just a timer (like most of the cheaper chargers). The timer type chargers will ruin your batteries if you aren't careful. If you have expensive rechargeable C or D cell batteries, you must get this charger.

Complaints:
1) My first MH-C808M charger melted the casing when I recharged 4 D-cell batteries. The casing around the left two slots melted badly enough that I exchanged the unit. I haven't recharged D batteries with the new one, but I have recharged numerous AA & C-cells, which work fine.

2) Be careful when inserting batteries. Some batteries don't get a very good connection. This may be why the casing melted with the D batteries.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Charger, May 7, 2012
I purchased this rarely-used item almost one year ago from Amazon as quick-charger for my ever growing need for AA batteries to power my cameras and other electronic equipment (I am a professional photographer/videographer). However, after spending a bundle, I've been very dissatisfied with it despite reading the glowing reviews on Amazon.com. Firstly, the price. It cost way too much ($65.00 for a battery charger!). Additionally, it seemed to never fully charge my brand new Sanyo eneloop batteries. So, I got used to spending even more to carry around back-up lithium batteries because my "charged" batteries would always somehow prematurely wear out. There is a third and a very seriously flaw with this charger. While recently charging up batteries for an event, I heard a loud "pop" coming from the charger and next, there was the smell of burning wires. I quickly unplugged the charger as it was too hot to handle. Evidently, the charger shorted out. A very dangerous situation, needless to say. I was very thankful the unit did not cause a fire! Stay away from this charger - even if this is the case of a "few bad apples" (which would indicate a quality control issue-a growing consumer concern, especially with imported products). Surely, this charger is not worth the risk of a hazardous fire. Because of these issues, I would give it *zero* stars if I could.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great features, but it catches on fire., October 17, 2008
This charger has lots of nice features but I don't trust it in terms of safety. I bought this model a few years back from another distributor and it actually caught on fire. I sent it to the manufacturer for warranty replacement, and the one they sent me caught on fire as well. Sent that one back and the third one didn't catch on fire, but I did detect that unmistakable odor of burning plastic. So finally I sent it back for a full refund. I am currently using a different charger from the same company (the MH C-9000) and it works wonderfully. It simply appears that the MH-C808M charger is not one of Maha's better models. My advice, don't buy this charger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome charger, July 26, 2013
J. Hite (Germany (Military)) - See all my reviews
I purchased 3 of these chargers 3 years ago while I was in the Air Force. I was tired of throwing away batteries containing mercury, while wasting tax payer dollars buying batteries every week. We have a 24 hour around the clock operation, and must perform inspections at all hours of the night. We have been using the same Maglights for years. They had performed excellent considering all the abuse they have been put through. Once I had used up all the mercury batteries, I created a spreadsheet showing the boss how much money we could save over time if we made a considerable investment (to my small operation, >$1000 is a considerable investment)in excellent battery chargers and GOOD D-cell batteries. I purchased these chargers, when there were not any reviews listed on Amazon. This at the time was considered the "King Kong" of chargers. After the purchase, I started reading about the chargers catching on fire. I re-read the instructions, and ensured I followed the directions to the T. I also moved the chargers into a concrete building that had a few power receptacles on the wall. Finally three years later, I decided to give my review. These chargers have been plugged in for 3 years, that's right three years straight charging D cells EVERYDAY. They have performed flawlessly. The first year, we got our money back and broke even on the investment, and for the last two years, we have saved the taxpayers a couple of thousand dollars by not purchasing throwaway batteries. We have also prevented at least two if not three 55 gallon drums of batteries from entering the hazardous waste stream. I wish every shop would do this, but some folks just don't care. You have to be on top of the game and ensure the workers are briefed when they come to the shop that they cannot for any reason discard batteries. I was completely satisfied with this charger. I have since retired for the AF, and now I am looking for a charger for my home. I have always just used the smaller AA/AAA chargers for my home needs. I remembered the good luck I had with this one. Hope this helps someone looking for a good charger. If there were a malfunctions, our shop was manned 24/7/365, so someone would have caught the problem hopefully before chaos showed up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings..., August 22, 2008
1) This product needed a better manual.

2) It'd be nice if the product had the basic info printed on it. That would explain what various actions mean - or even how to put it in soft charge mode. Some extra buttons would be nice too. (ie: being able to quick charge a few while re-conditioning other batteries would be helpful).

3) Issues with batteries getting hot. Not all batteries most remain cool just a few seem to get hot. Nothing to pin point, as the ones that overheat are the same brands and ones that work fine. Not an age issue as it has occurred with newer batteries too.

4. Caution, if you do not seat the battery ALL the way. The unit has the potential to overheat as some of the plastic on our unit melted.

***

All in all, I am left not trusting the device. Don't like to leave it plugged in overnight. Read lots of rave reviews, but must confess I am have been left a bit disappointed and do not really trust the product.

:-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery Saver, January 29, 2008
GojiraRokz (Murrieta, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Well worth the price. I have a some AAA's that would no longer charge in my cheap 1-hour charger. After using the Conditioning function of the MH-C808M, they are working great again. This unit has 3 modes of operation: 1-hour Quick Charge, 2-hour Soft Charge, and the many-hour Conditioning mode which gradually charges, discharges, then charges batteries. This product works as advertised. Highly recommended if you want to get the most out of your rechargeables.

3.0 out of 5 stars Priced a little high, January 30, 2009
This is no doubt a nice charger, but I have found it to have a couple of very minor faults. First, it doesn't handle 9V batteries. Not a big deal but if you want 9V you would have to buy yet another charger for them. Also, I have had very mixed results trying to charge old NiCd batteries. Sometimes the charger will not recognize them at all, and other times it will recognize them but not charge and give a "high voltage" error (flashes the word "done"). The manual doesn't really explain what this error means exactly. I was able to take these very same NiCd batteries and charge them successfully on an Ansmann Energy 8 charger that I also have. I also had the same thing happen with an old NiMH battery (the Maha wouldn't recognize it, but the Ansmann did and was able to charge it). I've had great results charging brand new NiMH batteries though. A plus of this charger is that it is faster than some other models, however I turn off the fast charging mode (which requires you to press a button each time you go to charge anything, otherwise it defaults to fast mode automatically). Another plus is that it has a manual refresh process so you don't have to run a refresh on a battery unless you want to. But... overall, I'd say the Ansmann Energy 8 would be a better alternative (especially if you want to charge 9V batteries, plus have the reliability of reviving older NiCd or NiMH batteries).