Maine in America: American Art at The Farnsworth Art Museum
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$38.17 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 31, 2000
In it's fifty years of existence the Farnsworth Art Museum has focused on acquiring a collection of art that represents the history of art and artists in Maine. This 256 page book is an excellent survery of their holdings from the early paintings of J Jonathan Fisher to the realist paintings of Neil Welliver.
There is a one page review of each of 84 artists followed by one to three color plates of their works held by the Farnsworth. The biographical sketch of each artist is concise and accurately describes how the artist fits into not only art in Maine but art in America from the 18th century to the present.
I love Maine art and I thoroughly enjoyed this book and learned a lot from it.
on November 4, 2013
Not only are the artworks meaningful to me (seascapes in particular) the accompanying text (although a bit small to read) is quite insightful and also informative regarding the painter I most identify with, Joseph R. DeCamp. I now thirst to visit Rockland, Maine to spend time with the collection there. Off the beaten path? Excellent. There looks to be plenty to see and stay over somewhere; and another reason for the two of us to drive up to Maine besides
lobster and L.L. Bean. I am quite pleased with the purchase of this big, beautiful book. It could have even been better if more of the paintings were presented "full screen" but I expect going to the Farnsworth will satisfy my enthusiasm to see more.
on May 8, 2014
Would recommend buying this before orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr after viewing exhibit. Very well done, What a joy for such a small citu to have this collection