5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Backcountry Camping
Published on June 12, 2008 by J. G. Hayslett

1.0 out of 5 stars Box had bugs
Published on January 19, 2011 by Babba

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Backcountry Camping, June 12, 2008
This review is from: Mainstay Emergency Food Rations - 3600 Calorie Bars (Single) (Tools & Hardware)
As my title suggests, these are excellent for Backcountry Camping. You have the equivalent of 2-3 days worth of food. It weighs next to nothing (2 pounds if I remember correctly), and can be eaten on the go. It's not gourmet dining to be sure, but it's not meant to be, and they still taste pretty good. I bought a whole case of these when I drove from the East Coast to Alaska and they cut down on my travel time because I wasn't stopping all the time to get fast food or some other obese-inducing garbage. As I said, I wouldnt want to live on the stuff, but it does have some practical uses besides stocking up for the apocalypse or some other craziness.

4.0 out of 5 stars One Giant Mediocre Cookie per pack., January 20, 2010
The Raptor (Lurking in the Tall Grass) - See all my reviews
Each package contains 9 bars each. I was hoping that they would be separated, but instead it's one giant block and if you want a serving then you break off a chunk. This means that once open you have to consume they entire package within a few weeks or it will most likely start to go bad.

These actually taste pretty good for survival rations. It's somewhat sweet, like the so-so cookies you get out of a vending machine. One thing to note, is that they do contain trans-fats (partially hydrogenated oils) even though trans fats do not appear in the nutrition facts. I was planning to eat one cookie every week so I could slowly rotate out the old ones and always have a fresh supply, but since you can't open 1 serving without opening 9 and because of the trans fat I will just keep these in storage until needed. It's not a problem though. They have an expiration date of 4-5 years from when you get them (mine expires in 2014) so they should be good for 2012.

1.0 out of 5 stars Box had bugs, January 19, 2011
When I opened the box, the packages had little crawly things on them. Very disgusting. One of the bars had obviously lost the factory seal and was no longer vacuum packed. Since the package was sent 2-day Fedex, it is hard to imagine that the damage was done in transit. If the damage was done in transit, it is a bit difficult to believe that the package would have been infested so quickly, especially with the super low temperatures we have been experiencing. Check your bars quickly and be certain the packaging is tight against the bars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best in category, March 9, 2010
I actually conducted a taste test for my family of five, on a scale of one to five (five being the best tasting) Datrex lost out to Mainstay. Daytrex- avg. 2, Mainstay-Average 4. What good is an emergency ration if it is not palatable.
Rev. Dr. Roger Dodds

2.0 out of 5 stars Pay particular attention to the expiration date!, October 26, 2011
I acquired some of these last year for my bug-out-bag I keep in my car. I didn't do a very good job of inspecting them when I received them; when I was going through my pack the other day, I noticed the expiration date on the packaging...Oct 2011! I'm sure you can still consume them without worry about getting food poisoning, but if your intent is to have something that will be good in a year, 2 x years, 5 x years, whatever, make sure they send you a product with sufficient shelf life and a good expiration date.

1.0 out of 5 stars Clearly not sealed., April 29, 2011
I ordered one pack of 9 bars. Not sealed is an understatement, it is extremely lose. This seems to be an issue with Mainstay, stay away from these things until they sort out their incompetents when it comes to sealing the bag.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment, March 16, 2013
I had read mixed reviews about the Mainstay Brand Emergency Rations, so I ordered a single to try it for myself. In my experience with the product, I can only say that it was a big disappointment and a waist of money.

Having seen reviews of the SOS brand of emergency rations on YouTube, I had mistakenly led myself to expect that the Mianstay brand would come similarly sealed with the rations individuly packaged on the inside for freashness after the external bag was opened. However, this was not the case. Mainstay came sealed in the outer bag only. Once the outer bag is opened, all of the food "fragments" are exposed to the air and quickly begin to aquire a gritty texture and begin to harden. Even when rewraped in the original bag or placed in a ziplock bag for comparison, within 24-26 hours I had no desire to try to eat this stuff anymore. If this is meant to be three days of food, keep a hammer handy.

In all fairness, I must acknowledge that the initial mild lemon flavor of the rations was not bad. If Mainstay were to make the outer bag resealable and individually wrap the rations inside for freshness, it would make for a much better product. Until then, I'll not waist my money on this stuff again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but not from Amazon, August 9, 2011
kcdiver (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought two packages of Mainstay emergency bars. One was vacuum sealed (necessary to be shelf stable for 5 years) and the other one was not. I returned the defective package and bought a second one from Amazon (the seller was SCS Collectibles, Inc.). Well, when I receive the second package it too had lost it's vacuum seal. I finally called the manufacture to complain and they were kind enough to send me two properly sealed replacements, for free! If you buy these, make sure you're getting a product that is vacuum sealed and has a relatively new production date stamped on the package.
**UPDATE** I forgot to mention that the product should be rated 4 star! It's compact, has waterproof packaging, and will last 5-years. However, I'm not sure what they taste like since I haven't eaten them yet.**

4.0 out of 5 stars Nom nom nom yummy, January 7, 2010
These are survival bars, not a four course meal. They aren't meant to be tasty, they're meant to save your life (though they aren't bad at all). If i could afford to buy 30 cases of these, i would. Be smart, do yourself a favor, get prepared.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be sure to make sure they are sealed, February 25, 2010
These are a good product, my first package arrived "open", that is they leaked air, and were not vacume packed but the packaging was loose.

It should be hard and tight like a package of coffee.