5.0 out of 5 stars Independent suspension
Published 18 months ago by Mike Wallace

In the box
You get the car (12" long X 8 1/4" wide), remote, antenna pole & some extra clips.
The car takes 6AA batteries and the controller 2 AAA batteries (uses a screw, not an easy tab to close the cover).
You can control the car via 27 mhz frequency on 3 different selectable frequencies as A, B, or C.

Setup
Antenna -
The antenna on...
Published 17 months ago by Lena, Massage Therapist

5.0 out of 5 stars Independent suspension, May 22, 2013
Mike Wallace (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Maisto Rock Crawler Extreme Remote Controlled Vehicle, Colors May Vary (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've frequently seen grown men, on the end of the street, playing with remote control cars and I always wondered what the fascination was. I think learning to use the controller and drive the car is half the fun. I didn't know that there would be a bit of a challenge to steering and driving the car. It's not hard, but with practice you can get very precise with the driving.

This car is also extra cool, because it has independent suspension and will go over most surfaces. Small curbs and rocks and other obstacles are no challenge for this little car. The directions said not to drive it through grass, but I did and had no problems. I also accidentally drove into a dirt flower bed which really showed off it's 4-wheel capabilities. At one point, it got stuck in the dirt and by switching between forward and reverse I was able to get it un-stuck. When the wheels spin in the dirt they fling up dirt, just like a real car or truck.

Indoors this car can also be used to chase the cat, which will keep you protected from annoying meows and unreasonable cat demands. This car is actually more fun than I thought it would be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Understanding its Limitations, May 28, 2013
Length:: 4:34 Mins

Although Maisto Rock Crawler Extreme is mostly made of plastic, it proved to be durable despite repeated falls/crashes. It has a super-flexible suspension system that enables it to operate on rocky terrain and climb over objects.

Initially, I was surprised to see that the top is not made of hard plastic, but is actually thin, held onto the chassis by four plastic clips (Note: the manufacturer includes replacements for these clips).

I now see how this aspect is a benefit. You will incur a number of rollovers while operating the vehicle, so it will sustain little damage in comparison to having a hard outer shell. This also makes it lighter, which helps with overall performance.

Additionally, this car has an excellent control range. In the video, my son could easily drive it across the rocky driveway, outside the boundaries of our acreage and almost out of sight (we finally turned the vehicle around to get our dog back on our property after he followed it down the road).

In terms of specific limitations, the most obvious one for us is the fact that it doesn't come with a rechargeable battery pack, yet it takes six AA (for the car) and two AAA (for the remote). Using high-quality rechargeable batteries with this car is a must, due to the high energy usage. We operated our car on brand-new Alkaline batteries, but they don't last long.

There are a number of surfaces/conditions that are NOT recommended for operating this vehicle. Listed in the manual: "1. Do not drive the vehicle on grass, sand, or go through water. 2. Do not drive the vehicle in windy or rainy weather. 3. Do not drive the vehicle into any hard object..." It also says "7. Outdoor usage is recommended in order to get optimal control range (32 feet or 10 meters)."

While operating, I found that this vehicle CANNOT make sharp turns. It's also not the most consistent climber when it comes to more challenging obstacles. You will find that you have to "hit" spots in just the right way in order to get the car to try to crawl up.

Adapting to these issues takes some patience, but it is possible to work around. However, at this price point, the car does a great job. There is definitely a "learning curve" if you are up to the challenge.

If you can work within its limitations, the Maisto Rock Crawler Extreme is a tough little car that is sure to bring an entertaining time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Maisto Rock Crawler Extreme Radio control Vehicle: Slow, weak steering, but outstanding off-roading, June 21, 2013
In the box

Setup
Antenna -
The antenna on the car is a long black wire, you unwrap the wire and push it through the clear pole and insert the pole in the middle of the car. You can also get away without using the antenna pole and instead use it with the antenna wrapped around the car but you'll get better range with the antenna wire propped up through the pole. The body of the car is attached to the car with 4 plastic clips, extras included.
Batteries -
are installed on the bottom of the car without having to remove the body where you also find the A/B/C/OFF switch. There is also a TRIM lever by the front of the car to adjust the steering of the car so it drives in a straight line. You can use up to three of these cars using each on a different channel.

CONS
* There is an off mode on the car but not on the controller which can eat up batteries.
* Uses a VERY small steering wheel on handle design to turn left/right instead of the common 2 stick control. This is too small even for a short woman, much less an adult man.
* The car is a bit slow by today's standards going maybe 3-4 mph tops which can be frustrating.
* The turning radius going forward is terrible, requiring the full width of my driveway to do a full circle, though the car does turn more tightly in reverse.
* Speed & steering is only on/off, no variation control at all, which makes it much less fun & almost tedious to control.

PROS
& Full suspension & 4-wheel drive.
* Great Off-Roading ability - I can easily hop over 2" curbs though slightly higher curbs will require me to enter at a slight angle to hop them. I can easily go on/off different forms of terrain and through thick grass.
* The range is excellent even to the point where the car became too small to see & navigate well.
* The car also drives straight and true with the trim set straight in the middle.

Final Thoughts
The car overall is okay, the off-road driving and radio range is the main reason I will give this car my 3 of 5 star recommendation. Otherwise the poor steering and slow speed may be a let down for many.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy for Kids, (If the adults finally let go of it!), May 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having not previously owned a battery-powered remote-control toy, I had no idea what to expect from the Maisto Rock Crawler Extreme. I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun it is to play with and have roll over various obstacles in the yard. We have a very rough area outside, with lots of hills and rocks so it was great to see where this thing could go and what it could overcome. And it pretty much can climb over anything about 1.5 times it's size. Very impressive!

The toy itself is pretty nice, shocks and struts just like a real dune buggy. The operation is very easy, a trigger for forward and backward, a steering wheel for direction. The controller itself is sort of cheap feeling, but for the money, it's OK. The one thing that was really difficult is the tiny, miniscule screw on the controller to take the cover off the battery compartment. Maisto should ship a tiny screwdriver with the car if they aren't going to change this into a standard clip-shut, hinged compartment. I don't get the screw, it's not necessary and most folks certainly don't have a tiny Phillips screwdriver that is sized for micro-construction.

Another thing that I didn't like was the one-speed aspect of this toy. It's HIGH, all the time, no way to slow it down and to go somewhere with any kind of slowness, one must stop and start over and over to make sure you don't just go hog-wild into the yonder, willy-nilly. I"m not sure why there could not be a switch on the bottom to make it have a few speeds or at least two.

An additional improvement for the toy would be to have a rechargeable battery pack (much like a power drill) instead of forcing the consumer to purchase batteries over and over. As well, the tiny clips that hold the car's body on are rather flimsy and I could see these breaking with a kid's use over time. Why not metal? Back in my childhood (60s), things were certainly built to a higher standard.

Even with those complaints, this is a very fun and energetic toy for adul... I mean KIDS, yeah, kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, powerful RC!, April 12, 2013
I picked this item up at another retailer and was so happy with it I came on to review it! I gave this item as a gift to my nephew and he opened it on the spot! This thing can crawl over things that are taller than the vehicle itself! It was overall a great purchase for the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masisto Rock Crawlers Rock!, March 17, 2014
We purchased a different rock crawler for my 4 1/2 yr old for Christmas and then purchased this one for our 5 yr old nephew for Xmas. They both quickly learned how to control the vehicles and love running them over their other toys around the house. They were the perfect "step-up" from their basic toddler rc cars. My son also received a"racier" Maisto RC for Christmas, but that vehicle is a bit too fast to drive in the house so this appears to be a better option for younger kiddos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great RC for kids and adults before taking the next step, December 31, 2013
seattle_tiger (Columbus, GA United States) - See all my reviews
There is a lot of junk out there in R/C, but this is an exception.
We now own 3 of these!

We paid 29.99 each for them. Please be aware they are out there for that price.

Pros
Powerful. Maisto focused on torque and power as opposed to speed, so you have a true rock crawler.
Long play. These cars deliver power until the very end of the battery's life. It is quite incredible.
3 channel remotes. You can control up to 3 vehicles using one remote...more useful than you think, if you lose a remote or kids decide to change up vehicles.
4 wheel drive on an entry price point? Pretty cool.

Cons
You will need lots of batteries, invest in rechargeables. 6 batteries in the car and you should expect kids to wear them down in a day or 2. A rechargeable battery pack would have made sense here.
When batteries get low, steering doesn't get power. That means wiiiiide turns. No big deal, but it is noticeable.
I would love to have a high/low range selector

Highly recommend if you are thinking about getting a Traxxas or Duratrax, stop here first!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for kids, March 28, 2014
I bought this for my 6 year old son after seeing good reviews on remote control car sites. My only worry was that it would not be fast enough for him and he'd be disappointed. However, we have found that it is great for driving in the house as you couldn't open many cars up inside to a high speed for more than a short burst. We have also taken it with us outside when taking the dogs for walks. The best thing about it is that the car is EXTREMELY durable.

As with any new toy the novelty does wear down so it is only used occasionally at this point but the product itself is wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars R/C monster truck, January 17, 2014
This was the "big gift" for one of my two kids. She is 5 years old and can drive the car fairly well. The wheels and power are soft and gentle enough that their skin can't get seriously hurt if they activate the controls while holding the car (hair, clothes, jewelry excluded). The car can climb small garden rocks and small curbs on the street, but has trouble tackling larger curbs and rocks that would seem to be o.k. for a car of this size. The wheels are not sturdy enough to gain serious traction, which is probably why it can't climb larger curbs and rocks, etc. Still, i am impressed with the car as they have advanced much since I was a kid 25 years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock Crawler Can Climb Rocks, Squeeze Under Low Tables - Fun for Adults as well as Kids!, June 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm familiar with Maisto, having owned a number of their Matchbox-sized cars, and didn't realize they made remote controlled cars as well. The first thing I noticed was the quality - in the past I've owned mostly cheap remote controlled cars from discount stores that couldn't do anything except move forward and then quickly expire - but this one actually climbs rocks, squeezes under low-hanging spaces and flips over with no problem. So that's what I've been missing in my life!!

The Maisto Rock Crawler Extreme apparently comes in different colors. I got the yellow one, though my instructions picture a different vehicle. Not that instructions are that necessary - it's pretty self-explanatory except I was confused by the A, B, and C switches - it's as if the vehicle was originally made to have three speeds, but then the manufacturer changed their minds. As it is, the vehicle won't start unless the letters match - so, if you choose the "C" switch on the car, you must also choose the "C" switch on the remote. Nowhere do the instructions mention this - it says something like, "choose any switch except OFF to turn it on", which makes you think it doesn't matter. I'm not sure what purpose the multiple choice switches serve, since it could easily have been just one switch.

Also, the car requires a lot of batteries - six AA and the remote requires 2 AAA batteries. Why not a rechargeable battery pack or AC adapter? The instructions state not to use rechargeable batteries. Grrr.

But this is quibbling. I really had a lot of fun with this car and its well-built, thick tires enabled it to climb over whatever obstacle I threw in its path (rocks, a stack of books, the cat - no, I'm joking).

It's very easy to use - The trigger controls the car's backward and forward motions (manipulating this, however, requires a delicate touch), and the steering knob on the remote turns the wheels (front only) either left or right. When I tested it in my bedroom, the car went zooming across the room, and amazingly, managed to squeeze itself under the empty space beneath my dresser, like my cat sometimes does.

Now, that impressed me. The car's top is made of a cheaper, flexible plastic, which initally turned me off (I can see it won't last as long as the rest of the vehicle.). Well, I take that back - I now understand the function of it. Not only does it keep the vehicle lightweight, but top is balanced on two metal springs that allow it to press down and "pop-up" when needed. It's geared to withstand shocks (i.e., when it flips over) but the springs also allow the car to squeeze itself into tight spaces and continue its adventure. Fun!