Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

VINE VOICEon May 22, 2013
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've frequently seen grown men, on the end of the street, playing with remote control cars and I always wondered what the fascination was. I think learning to use the controller and drive the car is half the fun. I didn't know that there would be a bit of a challenge to steering and driving the car. It's not hard, but with practice you can get very precise with the driving.

This car is also extra cool, because it has independent suspension and will go over most surfaces. Small curbs and rocks and other obstacles are no challenge for this little car. The directions said not to drive it through grass, but I did and had no problems. I also accidentally drove into a dirt flower bed which really showed off it's 4-wheel capabilities. At one point, it got stuck in the dirt and by switching between forward and reverse I was able to get it un-stuck. When the wheels spin in the dirt they fling up dirt, just like a real car or truck.

Indoors this car can also be used to chase the cat, which will keep you protected from annoying meows and unreasonable cat demands. This car is actually more fun than I thought it would be.
66 comments| 289 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Although Maisto Rock Crawler Extreme is mostly made of plastic, it proved to be durable despite repeated falls/crashes. It has a super-flexible suspension system that enables it to operate on rocky terrain and climb over objects.

Initially, I was surprised to see that the top is not made of hard plastic, but is actually thin, held onto the chassis by four plastic clips (Note: the manufacturer includes replacements for these clips).

I now see how this aspect is a benefit. You will incur a number of rollovers while operating the vehicle, so it will sustain little damage in comparison to having a hard outer shell. This also makes it lighter, which helps with overall performance.

Additionally, this car has an excellent control range. In the video, my son could easily drive it across the rocky driveway, outside the boundaries of our acreage and almost out of sight (we finally turned the vehicle around to get our dog back on our property after he followed it down the road).

In terms of specific limitations, the most obvious one for us is the fact that it doesn't come with a rechargeable battery pack, yet it takes six AA (for the car) and two AAA (for the remote). Using high-quality rechargeable batteries with this car is a must, due to the high energy usage. We operated our car on brand-new Alkaline batteries, but they don't last long.

There are a number of surfaces/conditions that are NOT recommended for operating this vehicle. Listed in the manual: "1. Do not drive the vehicle on grass, sand, or go through water. 2. Do not drive the vehicle in windy or rainy weather. 3. Do not drive the vehicle into any hard object..." It also says "7. Outdoor usage is recommended in order to get optimal control range (32 feet or 10 meters)."

While operating, I found that this vehicle CANNOT make sharp turns. It's also not the most consistent climber when it comes to more challenging obstacles. You will find that you have to "hit" spots in just the right way in order to get the car to try to crawl up.

Adapting to these issues takes some patience, but it is possible to work around. However, at this price point, the car does a great job. There is definitely a "learning curve" if you are up to the challenge.

If you can work within its limitations, the Maisto Rock Crawler Extreme is a tough little car that is sure to bring an entertaining time.
1010 comments| 256 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
In the box
You get the car (12" long X 8 1/4" wide), remote, antenna pole & some extra clips.
The car takes 6AA batteries and the controller 2 AAA batteries (uses a screw, not an easy tab to close the cover).
You can control the car via 27 mhz frequency on 3 different selectable frequencies as A, B, or C.

Setup
Antenna -
The antenna on the car is a long black wire, you unwrap the wire and push it through the clear pole and insert the pole in the middle of the car. You can also get away without using the antenna pole and instead use it with the antenna wrapped around the car but you'll get better range with the antenna wire propped up through the pole. The body of the car is attached to the car with 4 plastic clips, extras included.
Batteries -
are installed on the bottom of the car without having to remove the body where you also find the A/B/C/OFF switch. There is also a TRIM lever by the front of the car to adjust the steering of the car so it drives in a straight line. You can use up to three of these cars using each on a different channel.

CONS
* There is an off mode on the car but not on the controller which can eat up batteries.
* Uses a VERY small steering wheel on handle design to turn left/right instead of the common 2 stick control. This is too small even for a short woman, much less an adult man.
* The car is a bit slow by today's standards going maybe 3-4 mph tops which can be frustrating.
* The turning radius going forward is terrible, requiring the full width of my driveway to do a full circle, though the car does turn more tightly in reverse.
* Speed & steering is only on/off, no variation control at all, which makes it much less fun & almost tedious to control.

PROS
& Full suspension & 4-wheel drive.
* Great Off-Roading ability - I can easily hop over 2" curbs though slightly higher curbs will require me to enter at a slight angle to hop them. I can easily go on/off different forms of terrain and through thick grass.
* The range is excellent even to the point where the car became too small to see & navigate well.
* The car also drives straight and true with the trim set straight in the middle.

Final Thoughts
The car overall is okay, the off-road driving and radio range is the main reason I will give this car my 3 of 5 star recommendation. Otherwise the poor steering and slow speed may be a let down for many.
77 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2015
These Q&A below are directly from the Maisto website. I never bothered to care to do research until after my own r/c car stopped driving. Guess how long I had it before it stopped? 32 days. Seems Maisto knows their vehicles won't last long because there is only a 30 day warranty. Also, if you look at their own Q&A from their website (below) you will notice the answer to every question is batteries or foreign objects. Ummm yeah, when you are on cement, 1 foot away, with newly charged batteries, and the vehicle doesn't move, it's none of those answers. And the best part, the email address for customer service is not a valid address. You will immediately get the response "delivery failure notification" sent to your email address.

With that being said, while it was working, my kid loved it. It drove for nearly an hour on newly charged batteries. It climbs over most anything. It has 4 wheel independent suspension. So to give a fair review, yes my kid loved it when it worked. Obviously 32 days of use is not why I wanted to buy this for him. Please read the Maisto Q&A below and ask yourself why they answer the same type of question over and over without ever answering the question. If you want to take the chance yours will last, buyer beware.

Q: Why does my Maisto RC vehicle not start?
A: Make sure the transmitter and the vehicle are turned on. Make sure batteries are fresh, not drained and are installed per polarity indicators. Make sure all 4 wheels are not obstructed by any foreign objects.

Q: Why does my my Maisto RC vehicle make unusual noises?
A: Make sure the batteries are fresh, not drained. Make sure all 4 wheels are not obstructed by any foreign objects.

Q: Why does the operating distance of my Maisto RC vehicle become shorter?
A: Make sure batteries are fresh, not drained. Make sure RC vehicle is away from sources of other radio frequencies.

Q: Why does my Maisto RC vehicle slow down and stop?
A: Make sure batteries are fresh or fully charged, not drained. Alkaline batteries are recommended for longer and better performance. Make sure all 4 wheels are not obstructed by any foreign objects

Q: What if I’m still having problems with my Maisto RC Vehicle?
A: Check the FAQ and make sure all attempts have been made to make the unit work. Check your purchase receipt date and make sure it's within the 30 days warranty period when you contact us. Contact Maisto (see below), and tell us the model that you have, the problem(s) you are experiencing, your daytime phone number, and any other information that might be helpful to us to resolve the problem.
on August 22, 2015
The car worked fine for about two or three recharges of the batteries. The steering isn't that good. It is slow, but it's a "rock crawler" so that's to be expected. Throttle and steering are both binary - meaning it's full speed or no speed, it's turning all the way, or it's not turning at all. The body is a thin plastic material, similar to the lexan bodies found on hobby grade vehicles.

It is capable of driving over a lot of things a regular RC vehicle cannot, and provided a few hours of fun for sure. For the price, it's pretty good.

As I write this, the description does not disclose what the warranty terms are. The page provides a way to contact Amazon to find out what they are. I used this and was told Amazon does not know what they are. The manufacturer also does not list the details on the site. I think it only has a 30 day warranty. The manufacturer does not sell parts. This is toy grade and not hobby grade, so most of the parts are proprietary and not replaceable.

After a few hours of usage, the controller failed. It stopped steering at all, and I noticed the sound of something sliding around inside the controller. I took the controller apart to find out the problem is on the circuit board. The steering knob has stops on it to prevent the knob from turning too far, so the circuit board can't be torqued too hard by the operator. Plus, this issue occurred while I was driving so I know I wasn't cranking on it too hard.

In the attached picture, you're looking at three metal prongs that are soldered to the board. The middle one is longer, and is pushed by the turning of the knob. The design flaw is that the middle prong has a hole drilled in it where a piece of metal sits and then can contact the prongs on the sides to complete the circuit. A hole is drilled here, leaving only two very small strips on each side. After using it a few times, this is where that prong snapped. The piece that broke off is sitting off the bottom of the board, and you can see the half circle remaining.

I contacted the manufacturer using the email address on their site, and it bounced. Unfortunately, since I can't find a controller sold on its own either. So the entire vehicle is rendered useless because of this.
review image
on May 22, 2013
Having not previously owned a battery-powered remote-control toy, I had no idea what to expect from the Maisto Rock Crawler Extreme. I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun it is to play with and have roll over various obstacles in the yard. We have a very rough area outside, with lots of hills and rocks so it was great to see where this thing could go and what it could overcome. And it pretty much can climb over anything about 1.5 times it's size. Very impressive!

The toy itself is pretty nice, shocks and struts just like a real dune buggy. The operation is very easy, a trigger for forward and backward, a steering wheel for direction. The controller itself is sort of cheap feeling, but for the money, it's OK. The one thing that was really difficult is the tiny, miniscule screw on the controller to take the cover off the battery compartment. Maisto should ship a tiny screwdriver with the car if they aren't going to change this into a standard clip-shut, hinged compartment. I don't get the screw, it's not necessary and most folks certainly don't have a tiny Phillips screwdriver that is sized for micro-construction.

Another thing that I didn't like was the one-speed aspect of this toy. It's HIGH, all the time, no way to slow it down and to go somewhere with any kind of slowness, one must stop and start over and over to make sure you don't just go hog-wild into the yonder, willy-nilly. I"m not sure why there could not be a switch on the bottom to make it have a few speeds or at least two.

An additional improvement for the toy would be to have a rechargeable battery pack (much like a power drill) instead of forcing the consumer to purchase batteries over and over. As well, the tiny clips that hold the car's body on are rather flimsy and I could see these breaking with a kid's use over time. Why not metal? Back in my childhood (60s), things were certainly built to a higher standard.

Even with those complaints, this is a very fun and energetic toy for adul... I mean KIDS, yeah, kids.
on March 17, 2014
We purchased a different rock crawler for my 4 1/2 yr old for Christmas and then purchased this one for our 5 yr old nephew for Xmas. They both quickly learned how to control the vehicles and love running them over their other toys around the house. They were the perfect "step-up" from their basic toddler rc cars. My son also received a"racier" Maisto RC for Christmas, but that vehicle is a bit too fast to drive in the house so this appears to be a better option for younger kiddos.
on January 2, 2015
Just look at my pic I posted to see how happy my 5 year old grandson was Christmas morning!
The monster truck crawls over everything! LOL
review image
on August 6, 2015
Most of the good reviews of this product are because they got it for free in exchange for an 'unbiased review'.

But I'm here to tell you that the product is a piece of crap. I was really hopeful for this RC car to test out a really cool project I'm working on for school. Amazon sent me an email saying the product was delivered and I couldn't wait the rest of the day to get home and try it.

First awful thing was the packaging. All of the zip ties securing the thing down were broken and it was most definitely thrown around during shipping. No big deal right? Well maybe, this thing was made to handle a beating, so I was hopeful that it would be fine.

It didn't come with AA batteries but I was too anxious to try it out on my own, so I scavenged some batteries from an old quadcopter remote control I had lying around and turned the thing on. The thing wouldn't move at all! I flipped the channels around and tried again and still nothing.

I later discovered that the steering worked and If I gave the thing a little push it would crawl forward at maybe 1mph. If I tried to change directions or turn during this the whole thing would stop working again until I gave it another push.

Now, I know what your thinking "Hey, those were old batteries, go get some new ones and try again." - Yeah, I know, It still didn't work. I went to target and bought some Duracell AA batteries in a 24 pack (A fairly good deal for $15 but now they're all going to waste). I put in the new batteries, and guess what? Same results. The thing only moves with a push.

So normally during this point I will go to amazon and get an exchange. Because all the reviews are decent. But with the packaging, the build quality, and my experience I'm just going to get a refund. On top of that all the 5 star reviews are 'unbiased vine reviews for a free product'.

I could rave on about the terrible build quality, but I'm going to stop here.
on March 28, 2014
I bought this for my 6 year old son after seeing good reviews on remote control car sites. My only worry was that it would not be fast enough for him and he'd be disappointed. However, we have found that it is great for driving in the house as you couldn't open many cars up inside to a high speed for more than a short burst. We have also taken it with us outside when taking the dogs for walks. The best thing about it is that the car is EXTREMELY durable.

As with any new toy the novelty does wear down so it is only used occasionally at this point but the product itself is wonderful.