Most helpful critical review
87 of 92 people found the following review helpful
Maisto Rock Crawler Extreme Radio control Vehicle: Slow, weak steering, but outstanding off-roading
on June 21, 2013
In the box
You get the car (12" long X 8 1/4" wide), remote, antenna pole & some extra clips.
The car takes 6AA batteries and the controller 2 AAA batteries (uses a screw, not an easy tab to close the cover).
You can control the car via 27 mhz frequency on 3 different selectable frequencies as A, B, or C.
The antenna on the car is a long black wire, you unwrap the wire and push it through the clear pole and insert the pole in the middle of the car. You can also get away without using the antenna pole and instead use it with the antenna wrapped around the car but you'll get better range with the antenna wire propped up through the pole. The body of the car is attached to the car with 4 plastic clips, extras included.
are installed on the bottom of the car without having to remove the body where you also find the A/B/C/OFF switch. There is also a TRIM lever by the front of the car to adjust the steering of the car so it drives in a straight line. You can use up to three of these cars using each on a different channel.
* There is an off mode on the car but not on the controller which can eat up batteries.
* Uses a VERY small steering wheel on handle design to turn left/right instead of the common 2 stick control. This is too small even for a short woman, much less an adult man.
* The car is a bit slow by today's standards going maybe 3-4 mph tops which can be frustrating.
* The turning radius going forward is terrible, requiring the full width of my driveway to do a full circle, though the car does turn more tightly in reverse.
* Speed & steering is only on/off, no variation control at all, which makes it much less fun & almost tedious to control.
& Full suspension & 4-wheel drive.
* Great Off-Roading ability - I can easily hop over 2" curbs though slightly higher curbs will require me to enter at a slight angle to hop them. I can easily go on/off different forms of terrain and through thick grass.
* The range is excellent even to the point where the car became too small to see & navigate well.
* The car also drives straight and true with the trim set straight in the middle.
The car overall is okay, the off-road driving and radio range is the main reason I will give this car my 3 of 5 star recommendation. Otherwise the poor steering and slow speed may be a let down for many.