Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Major Crimes: The Complete First Season
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on September 25, 2012
This episode rates a 5 because of the interaction between the characters. Taylor seems to be letting the "power" go to his head,as many of us expected. Sharon's ability to stand strong even when Taylor is trying to steamroller her is good to see. Though I have not really been a fan of Sykes character, I liked how she stayed on point. The "team" rallied around her after the events that took place and that had the familiarity of "The Closer." Lastly, I like the interaction of Rusty and Sharon. The development of these 2 characters is every bit as worth tuning in for as the police drama.
on June 22, 2013
"The Closer" had a hero in Brenda--she had minor flaws but she had special skills that after a struggle, won the day in the end. This ensemble is a creepy bureaucratic and hopelessly boring team very different in cast and feeling from "The Closer"--it lacks the energy and drama of the original from both a directorial pace and non-character driven plots--even the fun quirks of the secondary cast is mostly gone.

The new "chief" was an unlikable character previously, and she didn't change much in this series--so what's the attraction? Who wants to watch a hopelessly staid and bureaucratic paper pusher stare blank-eyed at her staff and at the bad guys and manipulate her "skill" of working the bureaucratic system to her advantage? It should play well in socialist countries and for public employees, but America should have a better sense of life where individuals create value and triumph over evil due to their superior skills--I'm a bit saddened by the positive reviews here (suggesting that people enjoy naturalistic bland stories without heroes), but perhaps those who thought it boring didn't bother to comment.

Anyway, I tried to paint a broad picture of what this show is like for those interested.
on February 18, 2013
To start, I loved The Closer with it's maverick borderline illegal approach to law enforcement until Brenda dropped the Baylor kid off and felt no remorse with leaving him in his hood to die. I truly felt she deserved to be fired. Her most telling line was when she turned to Fritz and said, "I love you with all of my heart, but sometimes I feel that my heart is only this big." Not to mention her dismissive treatment of her wonderful parents.
So now we have Major Crimes and I can see a pivotal shift in the development of the remaining cast. As the characters used to react to Brenda, they now stand on their own for better or worse. In the case of Provenza, I would have to say worse. The writers took away his Peter Pan qualities and injected him with a lethal dose of Grumpy Old Men. Yet Julio finally seems to be coming into his own. And Fritz is shot in such a manner that I can now believe that he is a recovering alcoholic and not the soft-lit ideal husband we saw in The Closer. And they took out all if my favorite characters- Pope, Gabrielle and her aging parents, which signifies that this is an entirely different cop show.
After having watched the entire first season, I can honestly say that I am looking forward to the next season of Major Crimes. I am learning more about the reality of law enforcement and how cases play out when the court system is not involved. I am also interested in the remaining characters'evolution particularly the old-school LA Catholic Sharon Raydor who has already presented a steely resolve and the ability to have intelligent discourse.
on June 1, 2013
This spinoff is worse than the last season of the Closer. Disjointed and quirky plots, roles that seem to change spontaneously without basis or rational, and hard to believe case scenarios make the show hard to watch.
on September 11, 2012
I was very hopeful after the improvement of the previous episode but the continued neutering of Provenza has really messed with the chemistry of the actors. Rusty is actually brilliant as usual and the other actors do a decent job in their roles except for how they've decided to portray Provenza. Also, another weakness that downgraded this episode was that the storyline this time moved too sporatically and there was no real emotional connection with the victims.
on January 21, 2013
The writers did an excellent job expanding the other characters roles in Major Crimes.
I liked "The Closer", but did get a little tired on Brenda Lee telling the other detectives what to do, as if they didn't have a brain!!!
I am waiting for Major Crimes Season 2 to be offered on Amazon Instant Video so I can purchase that series too!!!
I had technical issues, but it was my PC and not Amazon's product.
on August 14, 2012
I was cautiously optimistic about the new series. It was very daring to attempt this extension of The Closer. Based on the first episode of Major Crimes I would say they are off to a great start. Job well done. Ms Sedgwick will be missed, as will Gabriel, "Brenda's parents" and others. Mary McD is very bold to attempt to step into shoes so well filled by Kyra. However, I think Rader's character is stong enough, and Mary's performance good enough to succeed at this tough job. I've been a long time fan of Mary McDonnell's anyway and think she did and does a great job. I can see that this new series will contain much of the best of the previous, even if a few important characters are absent. I hope this series makes it. (apologies for any misspelled names)
Good job TNT. This almost makes up for getting rid of Saving Grace before it's time, and making them rush to a finish that did not represent the best of that show.
on March 29, 2016
Pretty good series; actually better than I expected. It's just lacking a bit of punch that Kyra Sedgewick gave The Closer but both my husband and I enjoyed it and will be watching season two next.
on December 23, 2014
Love the first two seasons! Have not seen season 3 yet. The acting and writing are first class. It is a great combination of police and personal drama. Also enjoy the humorous and touching moments.
on August 2, 2013
I really enjoy this series. I think it is a good take off from The Closer and watch it on TV as well as on DVD. I can't wait for each season to begin and then buy it when it comes out on video.