5.0 out of 5 stars A Smooth Transition and a Different Mood
Published 22 months ago by Grady Harp

3.0 out of 5 stars Contradicting myself...the show is good while the premise is awful
<SPOILER ALERT> As usual, I love all the characters from The Closer (including Raydor) and still enjoy watching them. I do not, however, like the idea of Let's Make a Deal Major Crimes-style. It is bad enough that this happens in reality but to have to watch it for entertainment sickened me. A quadruple murderer gets thirty years by pleading to two counts of second...
Published 23 months ago by CGinnyC

5.0 out of 5 stars A Smooth Transition and a Different Mood, September 4, 2012
Continuing a popular television series such as The Closer with a powerful headliner like Kyra Sedgwick is a tricky risk. But in the case of MAJOR CRIMES that risk was most assuredly worth taking. Even in the final episodes of The Closer the new leader of the police group was introduced and the adjustment by the staff was shared with the viewers - a smart factor in adjusting to a new start.

So now Captain Sharon Raydor, portrayed but the cool, assured, soft spoken Mary McDonnell steps in to guide the cast of characters well known and loved by viewers - from the crusty to the feisty and the devoted including G.W. Bailey, Tony Denison, Michael Paul Chan, Raymond Cruz, Phillip P. Keene, Erin Cummings, Samantha Cutaran, Kearran Giovanni, Robert Gossett et al. One character introduced in the final episodes of The Closer as a troubled kid - Rusty Beck (Graham Patrick Martin) - provides not only a sense of continuity that made The Closer so compelling, but his presence as the waif for whom Captain Raydor agrees to provide foster care allows us to see both the tender side of this somewhat enigmatically distant woman while offering some solid psychological coaching for Rusty that shows us more strongly how she will serve in her lead role as head decision maker of her squad.

After the first few episodes it looks like a successful series, a fact honoring all who made The Closer a special program. Welcome to Mary McDonnell. The shoes fit pretty well so far. Grady Harp, September 12

5.0 out of 5 stars It is not the Closer, but it doesn't need to be., April 8, 2013
First off, let me say I'm a huge fan of "The Closer". I thought it was one of the best shows on television, and I was sad to see it end. I'm glad it came to a good ending though and saying goodbye to Brenda Leigh Johnson felt complete. Mary McDonnell was built up well through the last 2 seasons of "The Closer" so this transition for her to taking the lead of Major Crimes was not abrupt. Many people have been focusing on her in their reviews. She deserves the praise she's been given. She isn't competing with Kyra Sedgwick really. She's a completely different kind of character. She's older. She's a mom. She's got a different energy. Where Brenda Johnson would fire up a room, Captain Raydor will calm it down.

The result is something pretty fun to watch. The other characters have started to change in this environment as the chemistry has changed. Provenza is a bit darker and more of a lead..just as one example. All of the other characters have continued to develop..which is amazing considering for them..this is a season 8.

So if you are a fan of "The Closer", I highly recommend "Major Crimes". It's not a rehashed replacement in my opinion. It is just a good show. I will miss Brenda, Pope, and Gabriel to be sure. I'll miss the relationship with Fritz and Brenda. The good news is "Major Crimes" is developing some new story arcs for us to enjoy and even a few new characters.

It's not unlike work in real life. Every few years..the staff does change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Show of the series, October 2, 2012
David DeWeese (Bennettsville, SC) - See all my reviews
While I'm not quite to the point of asking, "Brenda who?" yet, this show had a feeling and a spark quite different from The Closer. With this episode, it feels like Major Crimes got a living breathing pulse of its own. It's a different feel although with highly familiar faces.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to have one of the characters say at an appropriate time, "Thank you. Thank you very much," with a darling southern drawl...[...][[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Dismissed with Prejudice, October 6, 2012
I loved this episode!!! Mary McDonnell is PHENOMENAL!!! I love to watch her forge relationships with her squad, individually as well as collectively. I'm sure she got added to Tao's "fav five" after she stood by him to prove he was right all along. Captain Raydor ROCKS!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary McDonnell is great!, August 21, 2012
This promises to be as good as The Closer because we have most of the cast still intact, but also have the full time addition of Mary McDonnell, a truly accomplished actress (two time Oscar nominee). She plays a fascinating character, eccentric, about 55-ish in age so lacking the vanity found in a younger actress, and able to command the men around her who feel they perhaps should have her job. The two episodes I have seen so far have been great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding ! ! ! !, March 20, 2013
I really enjoyed The Closer with Kyra Sedgwick. I thought sure I would miss her terriblly and dislike Mary McDonnell. I was wrong. The first season with Major Crimes with Mary McDonnell was very good. As each episode continued through the season, I grew to like her character much better as she softened a bit with Rusty. Her defense of her squad also added to her appeal. Now I am eager to see Major Crimes Season Two. Really wonderful to continue to have all the characters from The Closer continue in their same characterizations. G. W. Bailey, Tony Denison, Michael Paul Chan, Raymond Cruz, Phillip P. Keene, Graham Patrick Martin (Rusty) & Jon Tenney. Great !

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps getting better, September 4, 2012
By episode 4 of "Major Crimes" Sharon Rader has won me over completely. She's a great cop but more than that I appreciate her socially awkward moments and especially how well she handles Rusty. The show keeps getting better and I couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really wanted to hate it... It's great- I LOVE it!, April 17, 2013
This is not just a re-work of The Closer. It is a show of complex writing, depth, and chemistry between the characters that is dynamic.
My only concern was that the new character of Sykes would never work. I'm glad she is not going to continue in the 2nd season.
The other 95% is so good it deserves 5 stars because I can't give it a 4 3/4 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Major Crimes, January 6, 2013
Really like the spin-off of the Closer. I know everyone hates Capt. Raydor but I really like her. Remember her from Dances with Wolves. Think that's why I remember her so fondly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic New Show Stands On Its Own, August 28, 2012
F. Carter (Orange Park, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Although Major Crimes retains nearly all of the characters from The Closer, the show really *is* different, and the way the team interacts with Captain Raydor as their leader transforms the team into something new and different and -- I'll say it -- *better*. The stories are still gripping, the acting is still excellent, and I like being able to see Mary McDonnell's Captain Raydor character come into her own. An excellent show!

Major Crimes: Season 1
Major Crimes: Season 1 by Mary Mc Donnell (DVD - 2013)
$39.98 $14.96