5.0 out of 5 stars Different from The Closer, and for my taste, better
Published 13 months ago by Francine

2.0 out of 5 stars CAN'T STAND THE NEW ADA
I loved the first season of major crimes. I doubt I will watch this season. The new ADA is such a bad actress and the role is so irritating, I could not even finish this episode. Too bad. It was a great ensemble show last season.
Published 13 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from The Closer, and for my taste, better, June 12, 2013
I actually like this show better than The Closer. It's a more intellectual show and has a kinder ethos. I really like the personal story line of the main character, I like her unyielding sense of ethics, and her smarts. I loved the Brenda character, but sometimes her vendettas didn't sit well with me, although I understood them. This show is calmer, slower paced (which I like), and, in my opinion, more thoughtful. Being a Closer fan will not guarantee that you'll like this show. But if you like smart crime drama with a humane quality, this one's a winner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting series, and helps with Closer withdrawal, June 11, 2013
The Closer was probably my all time favorite TV series. There was no question that I'd at least give this new series a try. Major Crimes has many of the same characters but it's different enough from The Closer to stand on its own. It's mostly lacking in humor and irony, some of my favorite elements from The Closer, but the stories are interesting and I care about the characters since I already knew them. I especially like how Sharon Raydor has turned out to be a highly ethical person who is a stickler about following rules and laws, yet manages to read people and situations and, ultimately, get results.

I have to say that I think this new Emma Rios character is a misstep for the series. She isn't at all believable or likable in this role. I get that they needed a pain-in-the-___ character to add some conflict. However, it has already been shown this can be accomplished by the introduction of seasoned, believable character actors (i.e., the addition of "that woman!" Sharon Raydor back in the original Closer series). Would have been better to have found someone along the lines of the two lawyers that represented Brenda over the course of the series. They were funny and smart and actually believable as lawyers. But perhaps that is my age speaking.... Anyway, aside from these comments, I do enjoy the series and definitely plan to keep watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Crime Drama with Heart, June 12, 2013
I love this TNT series. The main ensemble cast is wonderful and since most were also on the long-running show The Closer, a viewing of Major Crimes is like a visit with family. Mary McDonnell is at her best in this series and her best is very, very good. I'll give the new characters in Season 2 a chance to grow on me. I didn't think I'd care for the "Rusty Beck" character when he was added last season, but now I can't imagine the show without him. The "Sharon Raydor" and "Rusty Beck" relationship brings heart to this marvelous crime drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series, January 12, 2014
The various characters in this series are all interesting in their own ways. I appreciate the weekly plots as well as the plots lines for the characters that continue from week to week. Mary McDonnell is excellent and I love the interaction between her character and Rusty.

5.0 out of 5 stars greatest ensemble cast on TV !, March 19, 2014
who would think a spinoff could be so successful... when "the closer" ended i was not happy....but this spinoff with captain raydor (mary mcdonnell) at the helm, is every bit as compelling and complexly written as the former... TNT must still have the same crack writing staff, and yes, the same great cast with a couple of minor alterations. if you have not seen this one....you should. one of the best things on tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this show!!!, July 21, 2013
Daniel Decker (Saratoga,NY USA) - See all my reviews
I don't try comparing it to "The Closer" it's a diffrremt person running "Major Crimes" and to me Capt. Sharon Raydor is AWESOME!!! I love her "CALM...COOL AND COLLECTED" attitude and she really knows the laws!!! I hope there are many more seasons to come

5.0 out of 5 stars major crush on major crimes, January 11, 2014
Big fan. Love how the transition between Closer and Major Crimes is going. Enjoying Mary McConnnell's role and how the writers continue to develop her relationships to Brenda's old crew while incorporating the new.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the show, July 7, 2013
I am happy to see a little more sizzle this season. A little too much of last year was spent on separation from The Closer and developing a solid, new ensemble. I am very happy they've rebounded this year with even more of that NCIS combination of solid down to earth work with a strong sense of humor sub line like The Closer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get rid of that annoying New Deputy DA and show is a winner......, June 26, 2013
That new Deputy DA is so annoying- I can't stand when she is on the screen. Absolutely horrible acting- all around huge detraction from an otherwise very successful spin-off of a much loved show. That is not always very successfully done- other than this character "job well done!" 5 stars if she goes- can even keep the character- just get rid of that actress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cast, good plot trajectory within each episode and through the season, August 20, 2013
I love Captain Rayder's restraint and thoughtfulness, her perseverance and firmness, her love for Rusty and her surprising ex-husband. Each supporting cast member offers a unique take on their lives and are evolving - there is no stereotyping, no "phoned in" performances. It's as though each person is daring the other to be as authentic in their performance as they can be. I think this kind of story telling, while sometimes turn away bloody and violent, is humanizing, casting the victims, perpetrators and detectives in their unique roles with compassion. There is not much more you can ask from a television series! It is one of my most favorites of its kind along with "Longmire" and "Endeavor."

Major Crimes:  Season 2
Major Crimes: Season 2 by Mary Mc Donnell (DVD - 2014)
$59.98 $39.81