Customer Discussions > SimCity: Limited Edition forum

Major limitations confirmed!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 122 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 1:53:08 PM PST
Evrine says:
I played the beta, it's not the SimCity I was hoping for. I was almost as bore as I was with Societies, very dumbed down.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 8:03:35 AM PST
Derek Hale says:
I played the beta, and liked it for the most part. The online is very frustrating though. I couldn't start the game any time I tried on Saturday because they said they had trouble with the log on server. Fine, had other stuff to do anyway, so waited. Sunday I got into the game/menu, but when it was loading the map it would say it couldn't retrieve the city from the servers and kick me back to the main menu. Basically if the EA servers are down, even if it is just the log on server, you are SOL. You can't get to your city, you can't play the game you paid for.

The rest of the game was fun, definitely. But this online only is terrible. You basically have to play by EA's network uptime for a game you pay $60 to play single player. It is obviously a pirate prevention scheme, which as usual is only going to hurt the paying customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 11:24:08 AM PST
OceanGuy says:
If they don't change that requirement before they release this, then I'll just wait. If everyone waited, EA would get the message and release a version where on-line is not required. I don't want to know my playing time is contingent upon EA's servers! Good way to piss off your fanbase, EA.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 11:26:26 AM PST
OceanGuy says:
We are we penalized because of pirating? They need to come up with their own way of dealing with that instead of penalizing those of us who bought the game and want to play it anytime, anywhere, without worry about EA servers. I would be pissed if I was in the middle of a game and it went down and I lost my work! Oh boy, I need to rethink this purchase.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 2:51:29 PM PST
Shareallicu says:
I agree Derek Hale. If it's going to be online required game like the beta it will frustrate me more than entertain me so I would not buy it.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 8:06:27 PM PST
T. Lack says:
You mean to tell me you guys aren't excited to have EA tell you when you can play a game you paid for? I'm extremely excited that I can only play when they want me to. It's like playing a whole other game so I'm getting a free game out of it. Where do I sign?

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 9:38:38 AM PST
TheFrey says:
@Ocean - Naw that is just an excuse to get us all on line so they can possibly nickle and dime us to death later. Oh, and so you can't play Sim2013 at all once they have a NEW game they want you to buy.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 9:42:20 AM PST
OceanGuy says:
@TheFrey - I believe you just might be correct. While I'm thrilled EA is working to release a new version of SC5, and want them to know we are grateful, they also need to understand that the on-line part is NOT going well with the fan base. If we all just hold off on buying the game until they undo this "on-line requirement", then maybe they'll get it. But I doubt it since upper management in most companies these days seem to run on little common sense. Fingers crossed they reconsider!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 10:11:14 AM PST
T. Lack says:
EA will never consider doing anything its fans want. You want this and they will give you that, you don't want this they will add it anyways. There's only a few companies out there that really seem to care about what their customers want and EA isn't even close to being on that list. They will lie, cheat and steal to sell a game. A good example of this would be Battlefield 3. They said people who bought the PS3 version of the game would get Battlefield 1943 for free. After the game was released they kept quiet about it hoping nobody would notice and then they released a statement saying they changed their mind. Not to mention with BF3 Premium they advertised stuff in the expansions like weapons and then silently removed it and again hoped nobody would notice. EA is a shady company and they really don't care about their customers, only money. They have ruined just about every single gaming franchise that has ever been published under their name. They buyout any company that is making great games and either fire every one and close down the company or take over the games and move it to other developers to eventually kill the game off.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 10:29:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2013 10:59:52 AM PST
Michael W says:
Wow, I was gonna pre-order but now I'm rethinking that. SimCity is a city building and Management game where someone might make a mistake and screw something up but cannot reload from before that point...how is this fun??

It reminds me of Dark Souls, that game saves constantly...but SimCity is a City building and Management game. It should not constantly save.
Also the Internet Requirement is simply a stupid Idea, EA is forcing there fans to play on EA's terms!.

I'm thinking about passing on this game.
Someone mentioned earlier about only a few game companies that listen to there fans, one of them is ArenaNet, creators of Guild Wars 2. They do a good job of listening to there fans.

EDIT: I decided instead of this one I'll be getting the game: The Last of us

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 10:42:04 AM PST
R. Bryant says:
I hate this shoe-horned multiplayer being forced upon me now. I liked SimCity because I could sit down, start from nothing and build a thriving city with a silly name. Now, I have to be online just to play single player, OTHER peoples cities will influence my own, and it has Origin attached to it. I so loved the older Sim City games, but this will be the first one I won't be getting. I miss Maxis and their llama fetish.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 11:04:08 AM PST
OceanGuy says:
Does anyone have an email address to the muckity mucks at EA and perhaps if we ALL email them and have them see the threads and comments on these boards that maybe they'll wake up and make changes before they see their hard work go down the drain over this stupid on-line requirement? Just a thought. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 11:26:36 AM PST
All of this talk about the pains and problems because you have to be connected to the net to play and EA controlling when and for how long you can play make me wonder how WOW, Eve online and LOTR online and even Diablo 3 became such a big hit and all of them require internet connections yet millions of people play them everyday. So I guess no one here (except me plays any of these games), you guys sound like the internet was just invented yesterday. If you do not like the requirements then do not buy the game. I am sure the copy you pass on will be brought by someone else that has a average level of intelligence to know EA would not produce a game with dreams of it failing. After all it is 2013 and the internet is here to stay. And if it does fail it would be more for game play and content like Simcity Society.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 11:41:15 AM PST
Derek Hale says:
I knew we would have someone with this view of things come along. Let's do some comparison though. WoW, Eve Online, LOTRO, and others of that genre are MMOs. Massively MULTIPLAYER ONLINE games. They are online games from the start, and the point is for them to be online. It is what people are buying into and are intentionally seeking out.

Diablo 3 is the only example you provided that is even remotely legitimate, but you would have to be locked in a cave somewhere to have not seen all the complaints about it being a game that requires online for even SP. There are still complaints to this day when servers go down, and as someone that played that game extensively, I saw the issue associated with that. I lost character progress on realm crashes, wasn't able to get in sometimes, etc. I didn't love it, but I gave Blizz a pass because they have earned an extensive amount of respect from me, even if Activision has pushed them into some bad choices. Aside from that, a big drawing point of D3 is multiplayer, so it was a safe bet that it would be fine with an online requirement. Diablo 1 and 2 had multiplayer, and it was a huge hit.

Sim City was a single player game only through almost every iteration. Later on there were some multi elements added, but nothing too extensive. Nothing on the scale of D3, or WoW or anything else you mentioned. Not even to the scale of the original Diablo.

Add to that EA's long history of forcing customers into buying their new version by closing down servers (look at most of their sports titles and how they shut down the servers on Xbox/PS3 games sometimes just two years after launch), and it is obvious why this is more of a problem. Granted, I don't know that EA will do something like that, but it is worth being cautious about before making a big purchase. As someone already mentioned, if I want to play this game in 5 years, will EA let me? I can still get online and play the original Diablo. Again, Blizzard and EA are two sides of the same coin in my book. One is a strong example of how to respect your player base (with some slip ups, nobody is perfect), the other is a near perfect record of being against the wishes of their consumer base.

To close off this long reply, you also make the argument that if we don't buy it, someone else with "Average level of intelligence" will buy it. We appreciate you wanting to put us in the "above average intelligence" group for taking the time to weight the pros/cons of buying this game and trying to be an informed consumer, but it isn't entirely fair to say that everyone else that buys this game is just of "Average" intelligence. Even smart people can make mistakes. The internet is obviously here to stay, most of us have always on connections, nobody complained about the internet. As I mentioned I was in the beta, and was able to play for about an hour because the rest of the time the servers were down. Yes, it is a beta, but these weren't issues of game bugs, their login server was being taken down by the limited beta audience logging in. Good luck on opening day of release!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 12:21:01 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 12:36:25 PM PST
Michael W says:
The thing is that many SimCity fans hate the fact that you need to be online to save and play as do I.
There alienating there fans, also WoW is advertised as a MMOG...SimCity is advertised as a single player game with Multiplayer support.
With that said, they'll lose there fan base.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 12:37:06 PM PST
Derek Hale says:
Nobody is saying EA doesn't have a right to set the requirement for their game. People very clearly said that they disagreed with not being able to play the game in SP without an internet connection. The reason they went down that road is to prevent piracy, but it won't work. You can play WoW on a private server, you can play Diablo 3 without an internet connection by making modifications to the game. Pirates will get around it, and the only people that suffer are paying customers, especially those that aren't skilled enough to make the modifications needed to get around it if it came to that.

Your statement still doesn't apply in this case. Yes tech will move forward, I played on slow dial up modems and everything as well, not sure how that matters. Adding a requirement to the game for the purpose of preventing piracy and ensuring you control the upgrade cycle is bad for consumers. That isn't an advancement of tech, that is a regression. Advancements should provide more functionality. The "Advancement" you are so strongly supporting here takes away the ability to play a single player game NOT JUST if the internet is down, which you keep holding to for some reason, but if EA's servers are down. That would be like owning a Ford for 5 years, and you trade it in for the newest model, and the new one won't start unless you authenticate with Ford's servers because they wanted to add the ability to send messages to other Ford owners. If the Ford servers are down, or your connection is down, the car won't start. I think that would not go over well, and people would be smart to not buy it.

That isn't advancement, that is regression. The smartest thing you said was that it is a right of the consumer to buy or not. That is a lot better than your poor attempt at insulting people that choose not to over this requirement like you did in your last post. Your reasons for buying it are no less important as the reasons of those that choose not to buy it.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 12:56:03 PM PST
D. Greene says:
I'm so glad I looked at these reviews. I was just about to preorder the game. Now, I will wait and see if they pull their heads from that shady place. If not, I will not buy it. If I can't play this game after they stop supporting it, then forget it. It is not often that I get to sit down and dedicate a huge amount of time to a game. If I'm only going to get to play it a few times because I cannot save it to hard disk, and I have to rely on their cloud then EA/Maxis will not get any of my money. And, that stupid Origin for BF3 makes my browser run as slow as Chrome.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 1:03:37 PM PST
Shareallicu says:
But you have missed an important point Rudy James Jr. Those were online games from the beginning and people who like that genre were attracted to it BECAUSE it was an online game from the beginning.

Simcity and the sims were single player games from the beginning and offline games from the beginning which attracted people that liked that genre. So now they are forcing those types of people to accept a genre they don't like.

The sims online failed because of this too.

We are not asking that EA get rid of the online capability of simcity 5, we only ask that they stay true to what this genre has been for their LOYAL fan base and give us the offline, single player option that we all fell in love with and supported all of these years!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 9:39:23 PM PST
What's slow about Chrome? It's the fastest browser.

Anyway, I very much doubt they will drop the online requirement. There was a gigantic uproar about this requirement with Diablo III and Blizzard never changed their stance on it.

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 5:31:47 AM PST
TheFrey says:
@Nida, well I guess that means I will be saving money. Since my stance on online is not changing either. Should make the hubby happy anyhow.

I do wonder... were they planning on only getting part of the SimCity fans to buy. They must hope there are enough joined-at-the-hip gamers to make up for those of us who want to play the WHOLE game in sandbox, without the penalties of solo play.

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 5:56:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2013 11:52:36 AM PST
Ray 1967 says:
I like to own my games not lease them. And that is exactly what the online only requirement is. Your paying $60 for a lease to play Sim City 5 or any other game like it till the company decides they no longer want to support it and you got a nice disc for a coaster or to take space in a landfill. Games like WOW etc are advertised and packaged as a online only game,that is fine MMOG's are made for that. Other games even FPS have a single player offline campaign and a optional multiplayer experience if you want to play online. And that is how it should be. Online should be a option to enhance a game like Sim City not something to be forced. So I am going to speak with my wallet and say I will pass on this, yes I might not be able to play the newest Sim City, but I won't buy something that EA will dictate when I can play and for how long on a game I purchased.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 11:59:04 AM PST
I feel exactly the same way. I have been looking forward to a new Sim City game since the day I got Sim City 4 ( which I played for hundreds of hours). My 8 year old son is addicted to my Sim City 3000 game I've had for 14 years. If EA truly is moving forward with this, they will lose the heart of their fan base. I hope enough people boycott so we get a Sim City that has the option for us to just build the way we want and not have to be online relying on their serves to play.

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 2:18:39 PM PST
OceanGuy says:
Hey everyone! Please see this link and several comments about the EA servers. While I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, it's not in OUR best interest to support EA games until they release SimCity 5 WITHOUT the on-line requirement! It appears their servers are often down and that customer service sucks. Again, they'll have our money. What do they care.

I found two email addresses - if anyone finds more personalized email address, please post but at least for now let's spread the word and bombard EA Games with this info and let them know we will NOT buy SC5 until they remove the on-line requirement! I would cut and paste this info so they'll know we are aware of their lack of customer support and server issues and spreading the word. Post this info everywhere you can. Thanks!

ir@ea.com (Investor Relations) support@ea.com (Customer Support)

http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/ea-games-a16669.html

peter.parry1989

Servers Never work
Every time i go to play on Medal of Honor or Battlefield 1943 online, the servers seem to be "not currently available" most of the time, now i have never had this problem before when i was playing non EA Games online. Please get this issue sorted!!!...

daniel richman

pathetic customer support
I bought battlefield bad company 2 from EA games. After 2 weeks of not being able to play online due to an error which was their fault I decided to contact them. I spoke to around 8 different customer support employee's for around 14 hours in total, they told me the problem was Microsofts...

DirtBanger

Battlefield Bad Company 2
Since purchasing this game I am unable to play online for more that around 4 to 10 minutes without getting dropped off and then having the following error "Connection to game server has been lost" All attempts to get support from EA support have failed with just getting scripted...

Ciska

Bad customer service
I have logged a problem on EA Gaming website, being unable to download a game that I have purchase with the download program through a proxy. It is now a 36 hours later and I still have not had any response!...

EA EXECS

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 11:19:26 AM PST
Mike says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  56
Total posts:  122
Initial post:  Oct 19, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
SimCity: Limited Edition
SimCity: Limited Edition by Electronic Arts (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
1.5 out of 5 stars   (4,099)